Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3737667 times)

ippy

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #25775 on: January 11, 2018, 02:16:26 PM »
I believe God's universe was intended to be consciously understood and manipulated, but these attributes of conscious understanding and manipulation are in themselves beyond human comprehension - because they are not of this inherently deterministic universe.

What would we, what could we do without people like you Alan, I'm awestruck, I also have noticed that you're not a human, I hadn't realised, you, it seems understand these things that are beyond human comprehension, WOW! how do we describe you then? Is it still allright to address you as Alan? 

With all of the sympathy in the world to you Alan, ippy

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #25776 on: January 11, 2018, 02:26:42 PM »
Just trying to comply with human scientific theory, I wonder if you realise exactly what you're, in effect saying here?

Complying with human scientific theory that could also be described as, complying with a reasoned, evidence based theory, I would say reasoned thoughts trump assertion any time, why is this so difficult for you to understand Alan?

But no matter how reasoned human thoughts can be, they do not trump reality.

=====
There you go again Alan, throwing your rationality to the wind and going to ridiculous illogical lengths to square things with your mind about your unsubstantiated unsupported beliefs.

My beliefs are substantiated by demonstrating my God given free will every time I post on this forum.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

floo

« Reply #25777 on: January 11, 2018, 02:29:37 PM »

=====My beliefs are substantiated by demonstrating my God given free will every time I post on this forum.

Only in your opinion, AB you really aren't convincing. ::)

Maeght

« Reply #25778 on: January 11, 2018, 03:01:09 PM »
My beliefs are substantiated by demonstrating my God given free will every time I post on this forum.

You keep saying that but how do you know it is a free choice and not a preprogrammed response to other posts?

ippy

« Reply #25779 on: January 11, 2018, 04:42:01 PM »

=====My beliefs are substantiated by demonstrating my God given free will every time I post on this forum.

Come on Alan share it with us other lowly shadows of human beings, tell us how this free will you keep banging on about can possibly lend anything to your case, demonstrate to us exactly how your version of reasoning, demonstrates?

We've all had enough of the theobable from you, now how about the actual exact mechanism, with all of the details, of how you've arrived at this rather strange conclusion?

Sorry, if it's beyond human comprehension, I was forgetting, of course it'll only be you that understands?

Warmest and most kindly regards to the non-human that deems to walk among us, Alan.

ippy

Alan Burns

« Reply #25780 on: January 11, 2018, 04:47:25 PM »
You keep saying that but how do you know it is a free choice and not a preprogrammed response to other posts?
I have the freedom to choose whether or not to respond.
I have the freedom to analyse and consider how to respond.
I have the freedom to choose my words.
I have the freedom to guide my own thought processes.
I have the freedom to choose a polite response, or a cynical response.
I have the freedom to sympathise with other viewpoints.
I have the freedom to pray about how to respond.
I have the freedom to type these words.

I know beyond any shadow of a doubt that my response is not entirely pre programmed by past events. (And God gave me the freedom to make this statement)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 05:09:47 PM by Alan Burns »
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

floo

« Reply #25781 on: January 11, 2018, 05:17:55 PM »

I know beyond any shadow of a doubt that my response is not entirely pre programmed by past events. (And God gave me the freedom to make this statement)

Just because you believe something beyond a shadow of a doubt, doesn't mean you are correct.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #25782 on: January 11, 2018, 05:36:53 PM »

I can almost see you stamping your feet as you wrote this, and I've no doubt this I'd how it seems to you: but you don't 'know', it just seems that way to you since it fulfills your prior personal need for 'God' which, ironically, determines every post you write.

SusanDoris

« Reply #25783 on: January 11, 2018, 05:42:09 PM »
A superb example of vacuous theobabble: well done you.
for some time now I have been losing respect for AB because of his lack of attempts to respond in any meaningful way to the excellent, well-considered posts by others.   It is in my opinion bad manners to talk at people with fingers firmly in ears the way he appears to.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Maeght

« Reply #25784 on: January 11, 2018, 06:22:42 PM »

Not an answer to my question. Have another try.

know beyond any shadow of a doubt that my response is not entirely pre programmed by past events. (And God gave me the freedom to make this statement)

You believe it but don't know it. How can you know your responses are not predetermined by the programming of your brain by previous events? Don't just repeat that you know, try answering how you know.

Alan Burns

« Reply #25785 on: January 11, 2018, 08:41:26 PM »
I can almost see you stamping your feet as you wrote this, and I've no doubt this I'd how it seems to you: but you don't 'know', it just seems that way to you since it fulfills your prior personal need for 'God' which, ironically, determines every post you write.
It is my knowledge of God which drives me to share the wonderful gift of Christian faith.  I was in no way in a "stamping my feet" mode, just trying to emphasise the reality of our God given freedom. But some are trying to convince themselves that this freedom does not exist.  I hope they can eventually discover the truth.

Maeght

« Reply #25786 on: January 11, 2018, 10:09:21 PM »
It is my knowledge of God which drives me to share the wonderful gift of Christian faith.  I was in no way in a "stamping my feet" mode, just trying to emphasise the reality of our God given freedom. But some are trying to convince themselves that this freedom does not exist.  I hope they can eventually discover the truth.

No one is trying to convince themselves of that, don't be so patronising. And how about trying to answer the question I asked?

Alan Burns

« Reply #25787 on: January 11, 2018, 11:21:17 PM »
No one is trying to convince themselves of that, don't be so patronising. And how about trying to answer the question I asked?
I answered it in the best way I could, by illustrating a freedom that a physically deterministic scenario could never possibly achieve.

ippy

« Reply #25788 on: January 12, 2018, 12:27:24 AM »
I answered it in the best way I could, by illustrating a freedom that a physically deterministic scenario could never possibly achieve.

So it's another refusal to answer the question asked, other than with nonsensicle theobable?

Still wishing you all of the very best and kindest of regards out of necessity in your case Alan, ippy

torridon

« Reply #25789 on: January 12, 2018, 07:30:15 AM »

I see no reason to suppose that is valid.

In a deterministic scenario, agents will still make optimal choices in any situation. A rabbit will choose the best site for its burrow in given circumstances; a venture capitalist will choose which start up to back with his money.  The notion of freedom, is irrelevant or incoherent.  We weigh up the options and choose what looks like the best option to the best of our abilities.  Neither rabbit nor venture capitalist can be or would want to be 'free' of the relevant considerations when making a choice.

Maeght

« Reply #25790 on: January 12, 2018, 07:44:14 AM »

That does not answer the question. If this is the best you can do this shows that you are simply making assertions due to your religious beliefs, a predetermined, programmed response.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:01:47 AM by Maeght »

floo

« Reply #25791 on: January 12, 2018, 09:09:14 AM »
That does not answer the question. If this is the best you can do this shows that you are simply making assertions due to your religious beliefs, z predetermined, programmed response.

That would appear to be the case. ::)

ippy

« Reply #25792 on: January 12, 2018, 11:54:08 AM »
That would appear to be the case. ::)

Alan's posts sometimes make me wonder who he's trying to convince?

Regards L R, ippy

Alan Burns

« Reply #25793 on: January 12, 2018, 02:00:37 PM »
I see no reason to suppose that is valid.

In a deterministic scenario, agents will still make optimal choices in any situation. A rabbit will choose the best site for its burrow in given circumstances; a venture capitalist will choose which start up to back with his money.  The notion of freedom, is irrelevant or incoherent.  We weigh up the options and choose what looks like the best option to the best of our abilities.  Neither rabbit nor venture capitalist can be or would want to be 'free' of the relevant considerations when making a choice.
If what you say is true, the implication would be that any criminal would have a cast iron alibi for any criminal act because they could say it was just an unavoidable consequence of their sub conscious brain activity over which they have no control.  You could make a fortune as a defence lawyer if you were able to convince a jury of your convictions.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #25794 on: January 12, 2018, 02:11:42 PM »
If what you say is true, the implication would be that any criminal would have a cast iron alibi for any criminal act because they could say it was just an unavoidable consequence of their sub conscious brain activity over which they have no control.  You could make a fortune as a defence lawyer if you were able to convince a jury of your convictions.
This doesn't work as the judgement of society is also fixed. That there might be no such thing as free will is an academic discussion not a practical one. It is also an argumentum ad consequentiam, and if you had made any attempt to understand posts you wouldn't continually pull out the same old fallacies.

Alan Burns

« Reply #25795 on: January 12, 2018, 03:11:09 PM »
This doesn't work as the judgement of society is also fixed. That there might be no such thing as free will is an academic discussion not a practical one.
So under these terms, what is the point of any discussion - academic or otherwise ???

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #25796 on: January 12, 2018, 03:16:06 PM »
So what is the point of any discussion - academic or otherwise ???
Depends on your perspective. If there is no free will, which is let us remember something you have given no coherent description of, then we will just have the discussions that we will have except when random things might happen.

From an internal perspective then it might not feel like that and the discussions are their own point. They are what we want to do even though we might have no choice over the wants.

BTW - you are just repeating the use of the ad consequentiam fallacy here. It isn't not true because you dislike the outcome.

wigginhall

« Reply #25797 on: January 12, 2018, 05:08:42 PM »
I don't think humans enjoy things because they have free will.   I mean, they don't stop in the middle of reading a novel, or getting plastered, or watching TV, or whatever, and think yeah, I'm doing free will now.   We are more practical and less philosophical than that, surely.  But in any case, 'free' doesn't make sense.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Alan Burns

« Reply #25798 on: January 12, 2018, 05:18:04 PM »
Depends on your perspective. If there is no free will, which is let us remember something you have given no coherent description of, then we will just have the discussions that we will have except when random things might happen.

From an internal perspective then it might not feel like that and the discussions are their own point. They are what we want to do even though we might have no choice over the wants.

BTW - you are just repeating the use of the ad consequentiam fallacy here. It isn't not true because you dislike the outcome.
I suspect it is the materialists who dislike the concept of human free will, because to admit its existence leads on to the first step of discovering that we all have a spiritual nature.  As Sweetpea recently pointed out, many on this thread seem unable to take this first important step in a journey to faith which could lead on to an amazing journey of discovery.

floo

« Reply #25799 on: January 12, 2018, 05:23:22 PM »
I suspect it is the materialists who dislike the concept of human free will, because to admit its existence leads on to the first step of discovering that we all have a spiritual nature.  As Sweetpea recently pointed out, many on this thread seem unable to take this first important step in a journey to faith which could lead on to an amazing journey of discovery.

In order to do that you have to suspend reason and logic!