Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3750134 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #37850 on: December 05, 2019, 01:05:49 PM »
Just to add to torri's posts by the way as I understand it anaesthetics for (non-human) animals are chemically basically the same as anaesthetics used for humans, albeit that the dosages vary. The same chemicals being used to switch off consciousness temporarily in both cases is a pretty good indication that the neural architecture that achieves consciousness is to some degree at least correlated across species - and thus that consciousness itself is a common feature.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 01:50:21 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #37851 on: December 05, 2019, 02:05:30 PM »
You cannot use observed animal responses to somehow presume to know the state of their inner mind. 
....and yet you do exactly that.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #37852 on: December 05, 2019, 03:20:31 PM »

Consciousness lag is irrelevant to this.
But surely the existence of conscious lag would make consciousness itself irrelevant to animal reactions determined by subconscious brain activity.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

SusanDoris

« Reply #37853 on: December 05, 2019, 04:06:54 PM »
There's a sort of morbid humour* in this thread, seeing AB write such continuous drivel all the time.

*That's not quite the right phrase - horrifying amusement? ghastly fascination?
Better ideas welcome!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Enki

« Reply #37854 on: December 05, 2019, 04:27:09 PM »
But surely the existence of conscious lag would make consciousness itself irrelevant to animal reactions determined by subconscious brain activity.

Why on earth should it? For instance, it is quite possible that awareness could absorb selective information for the subconscious brain to use in its deliberations before acting or responding.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Alan Burns

« Reply #37855 on: December 05, 2019, 04:31:31 PM »
There's a sort of morbid humour* in this thread, seeing AB write such continuous drivel all the time.

*That's not quite the right phrase - horrifying amusement? ghastly fascination?
Better ideas welcome!
My posts mostly witness to the existence of our consciously driven human freedom which defies any logical explanation in material terms, and thus gets denied by materialist views.  I fail to see how my posts can be described as morbid, horrifying or ghastly.  Could it be that the implications of such freedom would lead people where they do not wish to go?  If so, I can confidently quote the most frequent phrase in the Christian bible: "Do not be afraid"
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #37856 on: December 05, 2019, 04:39:54 PM »
My posts mostly witness to the existence of our consciously driven human freedom which defies any logical explanation in material terms, and thus gets denied by materialist views.  I fail to see how my posts can be described as morbid, horrifying or ghastly.  Could it be that the implications of such freedom would lead people where they do not wish to go?  If so, I can confidently quote the most frequent phrase in the Christian bible: "Do not be afraid"

Oh, the irony!

Once again you are totally misrepresenting the logical arguments against you as being to do with the "material". Are you being deliberately dishonest in order to deceive or are you too afraid to face the actual arguments...?
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Alan Burns

« Reply #37857 on: December 05, 2019, 05:28:49 PM »
Oh, the irony!

Once again you are totally misrepresenting the logical arguments against you as being to do with the "material". Are you being deliberately dishonest in order to deceive or are you too afraid to face the actual arguments...?
Your arguments are entirely based upon the time dependent mechanistic cause and effect scenario observed in material reactions.  To try to extrapolate this limited logic and apply it to the spiritually determined events brought about by the conscious will of the human soul would be evidence of biased motives based upon secular thinking.  The message of the Christian bible is entirely based upon the freedom which enables people to make a consciously driven choice between good and evil.  Without such freedom there could be no concept of good and evil.  Our thoughts words and deeds would all be chained to physically driven reactions to past events over which we have no conscious control.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #37858 on: December 05, 2019, 05:48:56 PM »
AB,

My posts mostly witness to the existence of our consciously driven human freedom which defies any logical explanation in material terms,

No it doesn’t and, even if it did, that’d tell you nothing about whether a material explanation could be found tomorrow. And even if a material explanation wasn't found tomorrow, that would take you not one inch towards your “explanation” about which you have no information whatever and that is logically impossible to boot.

Apart from all that though…

,,,and thus gets denied by materialist views.

Gibberish.

I fail to see how my posts can be described as morbid, horrifying or ghastly.

Just dishonest will do.

Could it be that the implications of such freedom would lead people where they do not wish to go?  If so, I can confidently quote the most frequent phrase in the Christian bible: "Do not be afraid"

No, it’s because dishonest obtuseness is dispiriting to read.

God

Stranger

« Reply #37859 on: December 05, 2019, 05:55:24 PM »
Your arguments are entirely based upon the time dependent mechanistic cause and effect scenario observed in material reactions.

Once again you have totally ignored the actual argument. A choice takes place at a time and at that time all the factors that can influence it either fully determine the outcome or not - and if not, then part of the choice has nothing to do with said factors and is therefore random.

Why do you never face that argument, if you are not too afraid to think about it?

To try to extrapolate this limited logic and apply it to the spiritually determined events brought about by the conscious will of the human soul would be evidence of biased motives based upon secular thinking.

And "spiritually determined events brought about by the conscious will of the human soul" means what, exactly? Apart from you having no actual answer to the above reasoning but wanting to pretend that some meaningless mantra will do instead?

The message of the Christian bible...

Is itself contradictory nonsense that you have provided no reason whatsoever to take seriously.

Our thoughts words and deeds would all be chained to physically driven reactions to past events over which we have no conscious control.

Please do stop the totally dishonest misrepresentation that the argument is about the physical world or that it denies conscious control.

SusanDoris

« Reply #37860 on: December 05, 2019, 06:16:56 PM »
No, they are just mind-numbingly repetitive, devoid of rational argument, and show no evidence that you have even half-read the responses of those with thinking brains who use them wisely and explain to you patiently where you are mistaken or wrong.   That, in my opinion, is a case of bad manners.
They show  no evidence at all that you have an objective fact to produce.
They also, again in my opinion, show an overwhelming conceit in your own infallibility and superiority - and that is smug arrogance.

damd evidence that

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #37861 on: December 05, 2019, 06:18:05 PM »
Your arguments are entirely based upon the time dependent mechanistic cause and effect scenario observed in material reactions.  To try to extrapolate this limited logic and apply it to the spiritually determined events brought about by the conscious will of the human soul would be evidence of biased motives based upon secular thinking.  The message of the Christian bible is entirely based upon the freedom which enables people to make a consciously driven choice between good and evil.  Without such freedom there could be no concept of good and evil.  Our thoughts words and deeds would all be chained to physically driven reactions to past events over which we have no conscious control.

Still churning out the theobollocks then, Alan: it's no good using terms like 'spiritually determined' that are utterly meaningless without some form of qualification, and of course there is the usual farrago of your favourite fallacies.

torridon

« Reply #37862 on: December 05, 2019, 07:08:50 PM »

No, as to whether a dog's growl truly represents his inner mind state, a small time lag is irrelevant.  Consciousness is a continuous process (during wakefullness, at least).  The lag is merely the inevitable consequence of a brain processing information at finite speeds, thus there is a small temporal lag between the moment when you first start to perceive something and when you become fully conscious of it.  Our minds preprocess, refine and prioritise perceptions during that small interval of time and we do not recall the intermediate stages in this process, we remember the end result. Any optical illusion is sufficient evidence that this is so.  So when we say the dog is conscious, that merely acknowledges the processes of consciousness are working in a dog in a waking state just as they do in humans.  It would be easy to spot an animal that was unconscious - with these cerebral processes not working at all, the animal would be laid on its back motionless, as if dead, but for its breathing and beating heart. All animals with brains and sense organs must have some form of inner awareness, this is how creatures find food and avoid danger, by becoming aware of these things. Any animal lacking inner awareness would be a dead animal in no time at all.

ippy

« Reply #37863 on: December 05, 2019, 08:12:21 PM »
Still churning out the theobollocks then, Alan: it's no good using terms like 'spiritually determined' that are utterly meaningless without some form of qualification, and of course there is the usual farrago of your favourite fallacies.

I'm going to write to the O E D people and recommend your theobollocks as a new entry, makes me smile every time I see it used, it certainly can't be misunderstood.

ippy

Alan Burns

« Reply #37864 on: December 06, 2019, 02:06:53 PM »
Surely it is time that all the freedom denyers on this thread come to terms with the fact that their continued, consciously driven efforts to think up reasons to justify this non belief in their own freedom actually confirms the reality of it.

We have Gordon choosing to use his consciously concocted term "theobollocks" in reply to any form of spiritual argument, or choosing "biological" or "fallacy" to reply to other valid arguments.

We have Torridon choosing to use complex scientific jargon and quote animal behaviour to say why we cannot possibly choose what we want.

We have Stranger consciously claiming that it is a logical impossibility for any of us to choose anything which has not already been predetermined by past events over which we had no control.

Then we have BlueHillside choosing to use leprechauns, together with the phrase "emergent property" and his consciously contrived "two levels of reality" to explain away his own conscious freedom.

And there is Sebastian who often chooses to repeat the same phrase over an over again.

Not forgetting enki and Outrider who often engage in thoughtful exchanges yet fail to acknowledge their freedom in choosing to make these exchanges.

And Susan chooses to admire these well thought out arguments without realising or acknowledging the truth that such arguments would not exist without the conscious freedom needed to think them up.

And Ippy chooses to blame it all on my childhood indoctrination.

Our conscious freedom to choose may well be beyond human understanding, but it is a reality we all engage with.  And it is not an unintended accident of nature, because such freedom does not exist in nature.  This miraculous gift has a divine purpose.  There are many different paths to choose from in this life.  I sincerely hope and pray that you all choose the one which leads to the eternal salvation of your soul.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 04:14:15 PM by Alan Burns »

Roses

« Reply #37865 on: December 06, 2019, 02:13:08 PM »
Surely it is time that all the freedom deniers on this thread come to terms with the fact that their continued, consciously driven efforts to think up reasons to justify this non belief in their own freedom actually confirms the reality of it.

We have Gordon choosing to use his consciously concocted term "theobollocks" in reply to any form of spiritual argument, or choosing "biological" or "fallacy" to reply to other valid arguments.

We have Torridon choosing to use complex scientific jargon and quote animal behaviour to say why we cannot possibly choose what we want.

We have Stranger consciously claiming that it is a logical impossibility for any of us to choose anything which has not already been predetermined by past events over which we had no control.

Then we have BlueHillside choosing to use leprechauns, together with the phrase "emergent property" and his consciously contrived "two levels of reality" to explain away his own conscious freedom.

And there is Sebastian who often chooses to repeat the same phrase over an over again.

Not forgetting enki and Outrider who often engage in thoughtful exchanges yet fail to acknowledge their freedom in choosing to make these exchanges.

And Susan chooses to admire these well thought out arguments without realising or acknowledging the truth that such arguments would not exist without the conscious freedom needed to think them up.

Our conscious freedom to choose may well be beyond human understanding, but it is a reality we all engage with.  And it is not an unintended accident of nature, because such freedom does not exist in nature.  This miraculous gift has a divine purpose.  There are many different paths to choose from in this life.  I sincerely hope and pray that you all choose the one which leads to the eternal salvation of your soul.

You believe all that to be true, and you are entitled to do so, but you have never provided any evidence to substantiate your belief, your take on it isn't evidence.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

ippy

« Reply #37866 on: December 06, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »
You believe all that to be true, and you are entitled to do so, but you have never provided any evidence to substantiate your belief, your take on it isn't evidence.

Seconded!!

ippy.

PS L R, he probably wouldn't be thinking like that if hadn't been_____________

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #37867 on: December 06, 2019, 02:25:03 PM »
AB,

Surely it is time that all the freedom deniers on this thread come to terms with the fact that their continued, consciously driven efforts to think up reasons to justify this non belief in their own freedom actually confirms the reality of it.

All of which are perfectly explicable within a deterministic paradigm as you'd know if ever you showed the basic honesty required actually to read what's being said to you and to engage with it.

Our conscious freedom to choose may well be beyond human understanding,...

It may be or it may not be. So far at least though there are some pretty big clues that it's not "beyond human understanding" at all though.

...but it is a reality we all engage with.

As a lived experience, yes; as an explanation for the phenomenon, categorically no as that would be logically impossible.

And it is not an unintended accident of nature,...

I feel a non sequitur coming on...

...because such freedom does not exist in nature.

Bingo! We see it everywhere in nature, and even if we didn't that would tell you nothing about whether it was "unintended" rather than just specific to one species.

This miraculous gift has a divine purpose

Meaningless theobollocks.

There are many different paths to choose from in this life.  I sincerely hope and pray that you all choose the one which leads to the eternal salvation of your soul.

That's nice for you. And in exchange I'll bang together a couple of shillelaghs in your name in the sincere hope that the wee green fellas will leave a pot of gold for you at the end fo the next rainbow you see.

Just out of interest, does it not trouble you at all that you're the equivalent of a flat-earther here? No matter how big the mountain of reason and logic that falsifies you, you just keep repeating "the earth is flat, the earth is flat" like a demented bunny in a long-life battery ad. It's all of your doing, but is that really where you want to be?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:35:20 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Stranger

« Reply #37868 on: December 06, 2019, 02:41:05 PM »

The mindless, pointless repetition just goes on and on and on...

Nobody is denying the freedom to think about things and do as we wish - and nobody is doing anything else here, so your claim that it confirms your totally nonsensical, self-contradictory version of "freedom" is either incredibly stupid of you, incredibly dishonest of you, or you must be really, really terrified of actually facing up to the logic so you just haven't.

Dishonest, stupid, or careless (take your pick) misrepresentation - despite being corrected countless times before.

Pots, kettles and the colour black spring to mind...

You endlessly repeat fallacy-ridden, self-contradictory nonsense, dishonestly misrepresent the arguments against you while refusing to actually address either said arguments or you own obvious logical mistakes.

If you actually wanted to present the Catholic faith as something that cripples logical thought, encourages dishonesty, and makes people reject reason in favour of foolish fantasy, you couldn't be doing a better job.

SusanDoris

« Reply #37869 on: December 06, 2019, 03:02:56 PM »
/AB is like one of those ghastly boring street preachers with a megaphone, but nowadays with electronic equipment, who batters passers-by with a continuous stream of above/mentioned theo-bollocks and are impervious to any counter-argument, even if they stopped shouting long enough to listen to it.

And, yes, I've said that before, maybe even several times, but he is incapable of rational argument it seems.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #37870 on: December 06, 2019, 03:17:18 PM »

Hahahahahahahahahaha.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

ekim

« Reply #37871 on: December 06, 2019, 03:28:28 PM »

I think it is your lack of definition of what you mean by 'freedom' is what is contributing to this lengthy argument.  You seem to imply absolute freedom whereas the examples you give from your opponents indicate a relative freedom.  Those arguments are not free from thought processes, ideas, common language etc. just as yours are not free from your religious ideology and the use of religious terminology which you fail to define.  I don't think anybody is denying the ability to choose, which is basically what intelligence is, and such intelligence can be influenced rationally e.g. by weighing up the pros and cons, or irrationally e.g. by strong emotions or instincts.  Rational choice tends to require conscious deliberation and irrational 'choice' tends to function subconsciously/unconsciously.  As regards absolute freedom, I should have thought that as a religious person you would have realised that there is only one 'absolute' and that is your God and that your path is to surrender to that rather than being attached to your self imposed relative 'freedom'.  'Freedom' is probably better viewed as an aspiration rather than as a God given reality.

Outrider

« Reply #37872 on: December 06, 2019, 04:05:10 PM »

Surely it's time you looked at the evidence and drew conclusions from it rather than presupposing something that fits your chosen legend?

Well, the claim that you are committing a fallacy is a direct challenge to the validity of your argument - if it's not a fallacy, you sort of need to demonstrate why, not merely state it.

How dare he use a proven methodology and examples to demonstrate a point - of course, you can just dismiss that if it doesn't fit your narrative.

Right.  I note you don't actually have anything here that's contradicting that.

He makes an analogy, and you end up criticising the absurdity rather than recognising the accuracy.  The phrase 'emergent property' has meaning, and applies - if you want to discredit it, even if only as it applies to this, you need to engage with the definition, not just dismiss it.

Like, say, asserting without any basis that he's chosen to do so?

Thank you, but again you've merely asserted that. You've not tried to explain how something can be both free and will, you've not explained why you think this dualistic 'spirit' approaches somehow evades determinism,  and you've not explained how the evidence of brain activity being measurably demonstrable in advance of consciousness isn't heavily weighting the evidence in favour of the idea that brain activity is the source of consciousness.

Except that the presence of well thought-out arguments is not an argument for free will - indeed, a well constructed argument that is predicated upon taking apart, element by element, the proffered claim is evidence of cause and effect.

It does seem likely, given the particular phrasing and naming conventions of the infrastructure around your model, that it's an artefact of a Christian philosophy - whether that happened in your childhood or later I couldn't say.

Our conscious freedom to choose may well be beyond human understanding, but it is a reality we all engage with.

Again with the assertion - if we didn't accept your word on it the first time, why do you think we're going to now?

And it is not an unintended accident of nature, because such freedom does not exist in nature.

We have very little understanding of the nature of consciousness in ourselves, to presume to understand its limitations in other creatures on Earth - notwithstanding the possibility of natural non-terrestrial consciousnesses - is pushing things a bit far, given that you've not offered anything from first principles to demonstrate a necessary restriction or limitation.

This miraculous gift has a divine purpose.

In my experience, the use of 'miracle' is to either cover 'I can't explain this' or 'I have no evidence this actually happened' - in this instance, it's at least one of those, if not both, but either way it's not any addition to the discussion.

There are many different paths to choose from in this life.  I sincerely hope and pray that you all choose the one which leads to the eternal salvation of your soul.

And now you're throwing in 'souls' for a bonus unevidenced claim - I'll give you this much, you're persistent :)

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

torridon

« Reply #37873 on: December 06, 2019, 05:39:01 PM »

I say we act on what we want, but we cannot choose which wants to have, and are therefore not truly 'free'. If you think you can choose which wants to have, then explain and demonstrate it.  I have backed up my understanding with many examples from real life.  You never do, all we get from you is assertion, assertion, assertion. Explain and demonstrate if you have something to offer in response, empty assertions don't cut it with us lot.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #37874 on: December 06, 2019, 06:15:27 PM »
Alan

Without going over all the specific soul/consciousness narrative you keep advancing there are a couple of aspects I wonder if you've considered since, it seems to me, you really are out on a limb here.

If there was something in what you say then; a) there would be at least a recognition among those doing neuroscience that a 'soul-brain' interface was a hypothesis worth investigating, and b) religious organisations such as your own would be supporting neuroscience in the investigation of the possibility of souls interacting with brains.

As far as I'm aware their is nothing happening on either front and, if so, then perhaps you are quite simply wrong and having difficulty accepting that you are effectively ploughing a lone furrow.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 06:18:40 PM by Gordon »