Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3749558 times)

Roses

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #38000 on: December 13, 2019, 11:15:57 AM »
The soul in essence is you, Blue.
Without it you are a lump of reconstituted star debris just reacting in accordance with the purposeless, unguided forces of nature with no will of your own.

In your opinion. Where in the human body does the 'soul' reside? I believe it is just another name for consciousness, when we die it dies too.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #38001 on: December 13, 2019, 11:38:06 AM »
AB,

1. Total avoidance of my demolition of your latest car crash attempts at argument.

2. Still no information at all about what a "soul'" is, where it is, how it functions etc.

3. Unqualified assertion with no logic, no evidence, no explanatory use, no anything re “soul”.

4. Flat out lie re “no will of your own” coupled with a failure to grasp that the actual will we have sits at one level of abstraction, but necessarily cannot be an underlying explanation for the experience.

5. Fallacy of pejorative language – “poisoning the well”.

6. Fallacy of argumentum ad consequentiam – even if anything you said was true and you didn’t like it that would change reality not one jot.

Just out of interest, why do you bother? You’re clearly unable to construct an argument that doesn’t collapse immediately into a mess of inconsistency, self-contradiction and incoherence so why even try? Surely you’d be on safer ground sticking to the faith sharing area and just telling anyone who cares what your beliefs are rather than trying to justify them to people who can so easily dismantle those justifications?
And you believe that this post was produced by "a level of abstraction" emanating from the "emergent property" of the predefined material reactions going on in your brain.  No conscious will involved.  The word "magic" comes to mind.  ???
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #38002 on: December 13, 2019, 11:50:48 AM »
AB,

And you believe that this post was produced by "a level of abstraction" emanating from the "emergent property" of the predefined material reactions going on in your brain.

As that's what the only reasoning and evidence available to me indicates, yes. (It’s “defined” not “predefined” of course, but as you seem to be so wedded to that lie that you’ll never stop trying it I don’t suppose you’ll have a sudden burst of honesty about it now).

No conscious will involved.

Lots of “conscious will” involved, but only as an experience of something, not at the explanation for it at a deeper level (ie, your logically impossible BS version).

The word "magic" comes to mind.

I leave magic as the explanation to those who peddle “soul” and other such superstitious nonsense from the middle ages. Fortunately I have reason and evidence on my side though, so I have no need for it. 

Oh, and in my last post yet again I dismantled your previous effort point-by-point only for you to ignore all of it and to repeat yet again your personal incredulity. I have no idea what the hell is wrong with you but if you’re determined to stay lost in a world of ignorance and misplaced confidence by dishonestly just avoiding every falsification there’s nothing I or anyone else can do to help you.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Roses

« Reply #38003 on: December 13, 2019, 11:54:35 AM »
And you believe that this post was produced by "a level of abstraction" emanating from the "emergent property" of the predefined material reactions going on in your brain.  No conscious will involved.  The word "magic" comes to mind.  ???

You believe in magic, another term for the supernatural.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #38004 on: December 13, 2019, 01:19:33 PM »
A soul is what survives after the material body dies.
(for more information see the divinely inspired writings of the Christian bible)By conferring on us the ability to recognise and consciously choose between good and evil.  How it enables these attributes is known to God, not to us.To know God, to love Him and serve Him, and to enjoy eternal happiness with Him.
(from my catechism)
It just boils down to the mantra.

Goddidit.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #38005 on: December 13, 2019, 01:36:48 PM »

I do wish you'd stop using 'prededined', Alan: it is wrong, you know it is wrong and your intransigence just makes you look silly.

Alan Burns

« Reply #38006 on: December 13, 2019, 03:59:35 PM »
I do wish you'd stop using 'prededined', Alan: it is wrong, you know it is wrong and your intransigence just makes you look silly.
In  the material scenario, every event apart from quantum indeterminacy will be a predefined reaction to previous events acting in accordance with the laws of physics.  This is a perfectly valid use of the word, "predefined".

Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #38007 on: December 13, 2019, 04:35:08 PM »
AB,

In  the material scenario, every event apart from quantum indeterminacy will be a predefined reaction to previous events acting in accordance with the laws of physics.  This is a perfectly valid use of the word, "predefined".

While your every attempt to construct an argument to justify your beliefs ends in a car crash, adding lying to the mix just compounds the problem. To be “predefined” there would have to be something to do the predefining. What you’re struggling to say here is “determined” or “inevitable” or similar. It’s simple enough I’d have thought, even for you.

God

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #38008 on: December 13, 2019, 04:48:44 PM »

No, it isn't. There is a defined way in which things react to different situations. Predefined implies planning in advance for the specific situation. For example, the moves a chess computer makes are not predefined or predetermined, nothing has anticipated the exact game and how to respond, the algorithm determines how it will respond at the time when it actually faces the situation.

And your harping on about the "material scenario" also ignores the fact that, unless there is actual indeterminacy (randomness), in any scenario in which things develop over time (like minds), the same logic applies.

You are trying to use distorted and pejorative language and misrepresentation to encourage incredulity in place of actual logic and reasoning. It's not an honest way to conduct debate, especially when it's been repeatedly pointed out to you by several people.

If you genuinely want to convince anybody, you really need to stop the dishonesty and silly repetition and up your game.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #38009 on: December 13, 2019, 05:21:40 PM »

As I forecast, your intransigence is making you look silly, Humpty.

Alan Burns

« Reply #38010 on: December 14, 2019, 08:27:14 AM »
You believe in magic, another term for the supernatural.
I believe in miracles, another term for the manifestation of God's will here on earth.

Stranger

« Reply #38011 on: December 14, 2019, 08:32:07 AM »
I believe in miracles, another term for the manifestation of God's will here on earth.

Yes, god-magic. But not, so it would appear, in reasoning, logic, evidence, or honest engagement in debate...

Roses

« Reply #38012 on: December 14, 2019, 08:39:45 AM »

You are entitled to that belief, but that is all it is a mere belief, with nothing to substantiate it.

Alan Burns

« Reply #38013 on: December 14, 2019, 08:40:31 AM »
There is a defined way in which things react to different situations. Predefined implies planning in advance for the specific situation ...
To plan in advance implies a conscious entity capable of choosing what to plan and how to plan it.
In other words this conscious entity has the freedom to choose and plan its future course.

Alan Burns

« Reply #38014 on: December 14, 2019, 08:44:44 AM »
You are entitled to that belief, but that is all it is a mere belief, with nothing to substantiate it.
My own existence.
My freedom to choose.
My ability to believe.
My life is the miracle which substantiates God's miraculous power.

Roses

« Reply #38015 on: December 14, 2019, 09:02:34 AM »
My own existence.
My freedom to choose.
My ability to believe.

But it is likely there is a much more credible explanation than the Biblical god, imo.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #38016 on: December 14, 2019, 09:05:47 AM »
My own existence.
My freedom to choose.
My ability to believe.

All of these are naturalistic phenomena, primarily biological in terms of mode of operation.

Which is a mix of your trademark incredulity with an added dash of reification.

Stranger

« Reply #38017 on: December 14, 2019, 09:40:07 AM »
To plan in advance implies a conscious entity capable of choosing what to plan and how to plan it.

You really aren't paying attention, are you? That's another reason why predefined and predetermined are not appropriate descriptions of an natural and logical explanation.

Honesty Alan, if you can't be arsed to even take the time to get the context, what's the point in answering?

Stranger

« Reply #38018 on: December 14, 2019, 09:42:04 AM »
My own existence.
My freedom to choose.
My ability to believe.

Your silly, illogical, and self-contradictory version of "freedom" aside, none of these go any way at all to back up your claims.

And this is yet another thoughtless and baseless assertion.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #38019 on: December 14, 2019, 10:02:13 AM »
Hi BHS
That’s a category error I think. You and I could talk quite readily about the experience “love” because, presumably, we’ve both had it so there’d be common ground even though we were discussing a subjective emotion. By contract, if you want to call “god” an objective fact and to talk to me about it I have no idea what you mean (ie, I’m an ignostic). You may as well say “U&Y*&” for all the sense it makes to me so there’s no common ground at all. Of course you could say you feel love for your belief “god” (just as I may feel love for my belief “8o87t”), but that’s a different matter.
In so much as that I have an attachment to the concept of God that I have created in my mind, yes. As I have said before gods cannot be described as objective fact because the methodology to prove objective facts does not apply to the concept of gods so I think we are in agreement that defining the argument in terms of a God that is objective fact is not relevant in your discussion with me. AB might assert gods and free will as objective fact but given he has failed to come up with any of the evidence required to support a claim of objective fact, his assertions have been dismissed by many posters, but of course he is free to continue with his evangelical posts.

My point was that the word "love"  is just a label attached to subjective sensations, many of which are interpreted by individuals in a way that often leads to illogical, highly dysfunctional, often self-destructive behaviour e.g. the over-indulgence of children, which could be considered as a form of emotional abuse. So it may be that the only common ground would be that "love" is a feeling of attachment.

I think the word "God" is one label attached to the abstract thought and interpretation of searches for meaning in what we observe and feel and remember, possibly through the use of autobiographical memories. It may be that you are saying you have never experienced the feeling of searching for meaning? In which case, yes we have no common ground for the sensation.

Yes they do, and then they get angry too with person who explains that they’ve been lied to rather than with the people who did the lying. People eh? What I was saying though was that nonetheless the objects of the disagreements (£350m on the side of the bus for example) are at least comprehensible to both sides because they’re articulated in a common language even though they may have opposing opinions about them.
Yes but I am less concerned with the lies and more interested in the sensations they feel - the Brexit campaign seemed to have tapped into these feelings that people were unable to articulate in any kind of logical way, and this may be one of the reasons why we now have Boris Johnson in power - it seems he gave some voice to those feelings, if you believe the interviews with traditional Labour voters who voted Conservative.

Um, if it’s eternal then it didn’t begin. That’s what “eternal” means ; - )
Which does not make sense in a world where we operate using the concept of time on the assumption that everything has a beginning.

Yes, but that’s the tail wagging the dog: I want this concept to work, therefore I have to suspend reality to make it work. Would it not be better to start with reality and then to conclude that the concept cannot therefore work?
It might be - it depends on how easy it is for an individual to dismiss the sensations they feel that they have interpreted into a concept that enriches and adds meaning to their life. If, as has been discussed endlessly on here, individuals cannot choose what they desire and they desire meaning, and their abstract concept of God generates the feelings of meaning that satisfy their desire, then they will be unable to come to the conclusion you suggest. 

I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Walter

« Reply #38020 on: December 14, 2019, 10:36:39 AM »
Hi BHS In so much as that I have an attachment to the concept of God that I have created in my mind, yes. As I have said before gods cannot be described as objective fact because the methodology to prove objective facts does not apply to the concept of gods so I think we are in agreement that defining the argument in terms of a God that is objective fact is not relevant in your discussion with me. AB might assert gods and free will as objective fact but given he has failed to come up with any of the evidence required to support a claim of objective fact, his assertions have been dismissed by many posters, but of course he is free to continue with his evangelical posts.

My point was that the word "love"  is just a label attached to subjective sensations, many of which are interpreted by individuals in a way that often leads to illogical, highly dysfunctional, often self-destructive behaviour e.g. the over-indulgence of children, which could be considered as a form of emotional abuse. So it may be that the only common ground would be that "love" is a feeling of attachment.

I think the word "God" is one label attached to the abstract thought and interpretation of searches for meaning in what we observe and feel and remember, possibly through the use of autobiographical memories. It may be that you are saying you have never experienced the feeling of searching for meaning? In which case, yes we have no common ground for the sensation.
Yes but I am less concerned with the lies and more interested in the sensations they feel - the Brexit campaign seemed to have tapped into these feelings that people were unable to articulate in any kind of logical way, and this may be one of the reasons why we now have Boris Johnson in power - it seems he gave some voice to those feelings, if you believe the interviews with traditional Labour voters who voted Conservative.
Which does not make sense in a world where we operate using the concept of time on the assumption that everything has a beginning.
It might be - it depends on how easy it is for an individual to dismiss the sensations they feel that they have interpreted into a concept that enriches and adds meaning to their life. If, as has been discussed endlessly on here, individuals cannot choose what they desire and they desire meaning, and their abstract concept of God generates the feelings of meaning that satisfy their desire, then they will be unable to come to the conclusion you suggest.
so , Gabriella after all that what you are saying is " its how I feel but I can't prove it "
Good luck with that !

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #38021 on: December 14, 2019, 10:46:54 AM »
so , Gabriella after all that what you are saying is " its how I feel but I can't prove it "
Good luck with that !
Thanks
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #38022 on: December 14, 2019, 10:57:20 AM »
AB,

In other words this conscious entity has the freedom to choose and plan its future course.

Yes, so in other words you're trying to argue for something ("god") by assuming there to be a god in the first place. It's a basic error in reasoning – called begging the question – so now you've had it explained to you you can drop the dishonest "pre-" from your future efforts.

God

Walter

« Reply #38023 on: December 14, 2019, 11:02:59 AM »
Blue,

A lifetime of wrongheaded thinking . It would take a BIG person to admit to that !

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #38024 on: December 14, 2019, 11:08:10 AM »
AB,

Me (reply 38007):

While your every attempt to construct an argument to justify your beliefs ends in a car crash…

Let’s see shall we? You:

My own existence.

That’s not evidence for anything, other than that you exist. You can hitch “god” (or Zeus or lerprechauns) to that if you want to, but there’s no logical path from one to the other.

My freedom to choose.

Which you now know to be real at an experiential level but impossible at an explanatory level, so no evidence for god there.

My ability to believe.

Which is evidence for your credulity or absence of critical facilities perhaps, but as anyone can believe in anything there’s no evidence there for your belief indicating that its object is any more real than the object of any other belief.

And the mindless theobollocks of begging the question to finish, so no evidence there either.

So, to summarise my contention is that your efforts to construct an argument to justify your beliefs end in a car crash and you’ve just demonstrated exactly that.

Oh well.

God