Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3735279 times)

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #38675 on: February 24, 2020, 05:19:16 PM »
Of course, if Alan actually did understood logic, he really could produce a valid argument that takes him from his (contradictory) assertions about "free will" to his god.

Unfortunately, it would also be possible to start from the same assertions and prove that Alan's god doesn't exist, or that the moon is made of blue cheese, or that 100,000 unicorns could dance on the head of a pin...
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #38676 on: February 24, 2020, 05:56:15 PM »
Of course, if Alan actually did understood logic, he really could produce a valid argument that takes him from his (contradictory) assertions about "free will" to his god.

Unfortunately, it would also be possible to start from the same assertions and prove that Alan's god doesn't exist, or that the moon is made of blue cheese, or that 100,000 unicorns could dance on the head of a pin...

I'd like to take issue with that - everyone knows that the moon is made of green cheese, and there is no way of getting 100,000 unicorns on the head of a pin because those fucking angels refuse to budge up a bit.  ;D

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #38677 on: February 24, 2020, 06:02:15 PM »
But of course our conscious will itself derives from something prior ...
If that were the case, it would just be a reaction to prior events.

Why can't you see that an act of conscious will can be invoked from the present state of conscious awareness, which would give it the freedom to choose rather than just react?
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

« Reply #38678 on: February 24, 2020, 06:07:53 PM »
I wonder why AB continues to post on this thread as it must be obvious even to him very few, if any, see it his way? The more he posts the less convincing he is, therefore it is less and less likely anyone will convert to his way of thinking.
I will continue to demonstrate the reality of human free will by witnessing to the God given freedom we all enjoy.

The fact that so many non believers on this thread try to deny this freedom is very sad indeed.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Alan Burns

« Reply #38679 on: February 24, 2020, 06:13:37 PM »
AB,

You have a remarkable facility for packing a lot of mistakes into relatively few words. Leaving aside the unqualified assertion pretending to be an argument, if you seriously think there are invisible little creatures called “souls” at the controls functioning outside all logical constraints, why would you say that courts prosecute people rather than these souls? After all, isn’t it the “souls” using their magical powers that decide to rob the sweet shop?

Courts may well prosecute the body together with the soul, as they go together in this world.

It is well understood by Christians (and many other denominations) that God will deal with the soul after the body dies.

Stranger

« Reply #38680 on: February 24, 2020, 06:14:28 PM »
I'd like to take issue with that - everyone knows that the moon is made of green cheese, and there is no way of getting 100,000 unicorns on the head of a pin because those fucking angels refuse to budge up a bit.  ;D

;D ;D

Roses

« Reply #38681 on: February 24, 2020, 06:16:16 PM »
I will continue to demonstrate the reality of human free will by witnessing to the God given freedom we all enjoy.

The fact that so many non believers on this thread try to deny this freedom is very sad indeed.

We are not denying your right to state your belief if you must, but we will point out to you that you aren't convincing most of us that any god is responsible.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #38682 on: February 24, 2020, 06:17:30 PM »
Courts may well prosecute the body together with the soul, as they go together in this world.

It is well understood by Christians (and many other denominations) that God will deal with the soul after the body dies.

I doubt that courts take 'souls' seriously, since courts tend to look for evidence.

Perhaps"Christians (and many other denominations)" have got it wrong: have you ever seriously considered this possibility?

Stranger

« Reply #38683 on: February 24, 2020, 06:21:09 PM »

Appeal to consequences - and you've provided not the slightest hint of reasoning to show that "conscious will" isn't "just" a reaction to prior events and if it weren't, it would, to that extent, necessarily be random.

Why can't you see that an act of conscious will can be invoked from the present state of conscious awareness, which would give it the freedom to choose rather than just react?

Because it's meaningless gibberish.

Why are you just repeating the total idiocy that has been answered countless times before? Why won't you even try engage with the answers you already have?

Where is your sound logic, Alan?

Stranger

« Reply #38684 on: February 24, 2020, 06:25:23 PM »

All you are actually demonstrating is your complete inability to do anything except endlessly repeat the same mindless drivel that has been answered countless times before.

Alan Burns

« Reply #38685 on: February 24, 2020, 06:27:25 PM »
I doubt that courts take 'souls' seriously, since courts tend to look for evidence.

Perhaps"Christians (and many other denominations)" have got it wrong: have you ever seriously considered this possibility?
Courts certainly take human free will as a reality upon which the prosecution is based.

It has been well established on this thread that human free will cannot exist without the supernatural power of the soul.

And I believe that when a death sentence was pronounced in the recent past, the judge would add the words "May God gave mercy on your soul"

Stranger

« Reply #38686 on: February 24, 2020, 06:38:43 PM »
Courts certainly take human free will as a reality upon which the prosecution is based.

Appeal to false authority fallacy.

It has been well established on this thread that human free will cannot exist without the supernatural power of the soul.

Where?

And I believe that when a death sentence was pronounced in the recent past, the judge would add the words "May God gave mercy on your soul"

Utterly irrelevant.

Stranger

« Reply #38687 on: February 24, 2020, 06:39:41 PM »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #38688 on: February 24, 2020, 06:40:10 PM »
AB,

Finally, you’ve got something right! Yes, they take it as A reality – that’s what I’ve been explaining to you (and you’ve just ignored). It’s A reality that we have free will as you imagine it to be, it’s A reality that we actually touch things too. These realities fall apart though when we rely on them as explanations for the phenomena we're experiencing. Why? Because we have reason and evidence that shows then to be false, and that show other explanations entirely to be more robust.   

Absolute and total complete and utter fucking bollocks has it. You’ve been asked over and over again to establish that with coherent logic, and every time you’ve either just asserted your claims to be true without bothering with argument at all, or you’ve tried arguments to justify your beliefs that have always been flat wrong. And worse still, when people have taken the time and effort to explain to you why your arguments are flat wrong you’ve just ignored the problem and repeated exactly the same wrong arguments over and over again.

What does this rank dishonesty say about you do you think?

Why the hell should anyone take notice of what you believe?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 06:42:21 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #38689 on: February 24, 2020, 06:49:27 PM »

Maybe they do - but do they take 'souls' as a reality: I suspect they don't. Since you raised this aspect I'll leave you to consult a QC.

No it hasn't, so please stop lying.

We've moved on a tad since those days, Alan, where the last UK death sentence was carried out in 1964 - and anyway this was just cultural tradition and just like the saying prayers in the Westminster Parliament, and they won't last much longer (see link below). Christianity these days is just another minority hobby, Alan.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/24/report-c-of-es-right-to-26-seats-in-lords-should-be-repealed

torridon

« Reply #38690 on: February 24, 2020, 06:58:39 PM »

On the other hand, I don't think you'll find many prosecuting barristers arguing the defendant had supernatural powers and that's why he was able to do it.

torridon

« Reply #38691 on: February 24, 2020, 07:00:55 PM »

No it hasn't.  You'd need to do more than assert it to get to 'well established'. How about supporting evidence and reason ?  Everything we've seen from you boils down to self-contradictory logic, which in your book counts as 'supernatural' and in my book counts as 'wrong'.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 07:03:53 PM by torridon »

Alan Burns

« Reply #38692 on: February 25, 2020, 09:26:17 AM »
Quote from: Alan Burns
Absolute and total complete and utter fucking bollocks has it.
You call it magic.  I call it the supernatural power of the soul.
But I think we both agree that without it, human free will can only be an illusion, not a reality.

Outrider

« Reply #38693 on: February 25, 2020, 09:32:52 AM »

Yes, yes it would.  An extremely complicated, multi-faceted reaction to an incredible number of prior events calculated by an enormously variable natural algorithm in the form of a human brain, but yes.  Why is that a problem?

Because the idea of 'freely choosing' makes no sense.  If it's free, it's not dependent upon prior events, but if it's a choice then the rationale by which that choice is made is the product of prior events - it can't be both.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Stranger

« Reply #38694 on: February 25, 2020, 09:42:03 AM »
But I think we both agree that without it, human free will can only be an illusion, not a reality.

Actually, the way you've defined "free will" is self-contradictory nonsense. Magic can't overcome a contradiction, neither can any logically self-consistent idea of the "supernatural". In the way you have defined it, "free will" makes exactly as much sense as "a square circle".

Anyway - are you ready to admit yet that you have no sound logic? If not, it's about time you actually produced some...

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #38695 on: February 25, 2020, 09:50:57 AM »

Then your "supernatural power of the soul" is indistinguishable from magic. since you have no basis to do any distinguishing.

Since "supernatural power of the soul" is just white noise it contributes nothing to discussions about the extent to which human will is 'free', especially given your notion of 'free' involves a logical contradiction. Even if 'free will' is at some more profound level an illusion our everyday notion of it works well enough to get us through our lives - so there is nothing to be scared of, Alan.

The problem you have is that you have made your personal faith dependent on a formulation of 'free will', 'souls' and all, that has been shown to be wrong both logical and empirically (i.e. no supporting evidence), so I'd say you either need to jettison your faith in 'God' or reformulate it so that it is not dependent on claims that are so easily exposed as being vacuous. 

Alan Burns

« Reply #38696 on: February 25, 2020, 10:37:34 AM »
Yes, yes it would.  An extremely complicated, multi-faceted reaction to an incredible number of prior events calculated by an enormously variable natural algorithm in the form of a human brain, but yes.  Why is that a problem?

Because the idea of 'freely choosing' makes no sense.  If it's free, it's not dependent upon prior events, but if it's a choice then the rationale by which that choice is made is the product of prior events - it can't be both.

O.
In this you fail to acknowledge the role of conscious awareness.
It allows us to ne aware of prior events, and to be influenced by them - but not dictated by them.
Of course, if you presume that conscious awareness itself is entirely defined by nothing but material reactions, then everything will just be an inevitable consequence of those reactions.  This is the root of our disagreement, because I put it to you that conscious awareness comprises perception of material reactions - not the reactions themselves.  Our conscious awareness is the source of our subjective reality, and in it lies the source of our freedom.

Alan Burns

« Reply #38697 on: February 25, 2020, 10:47:27 AM »
Actually, the way you've defined "free will" is self-contradictory nonsense. Magic can't overcome a contradiction, neither can any logically self-consistent idea of the "supernatural". In the way you have defined it, "free will" makes exactly as much sense as "a square circle".

It is your notion of free will which contradicts the concept of freedom to choose.
You claim that a choice is entirely dictated by past events - in which case it has to be a reaction.  Our freedom would then be likened to a likened to a roller coaster ride with no choice over the direction our lives take.

Stranger

« Reply #38698 on: February 25, 2020, 10:48:08 AM »
It allows us to ne aware of prior events, and to be influenced by them - but not dictated by them.
Of course, if you presume that conscious awareness itself is entirely defined by nothing but material reactions, then everything will just be an inevitable consequence of those reactions.  This is the root of our disagreement, because I put it to you that conscious awareness comprises perception of material reactions - not the reactions themselves.  Our conscious awareness is the source of our subjective reality, and in it lies the source of our freedom.

Incredible. More mindless repetition of the same contradictory drivel that has been systematically taken apart countless times before by several people. No hint at all that you've even read any of those answers. What's the matter with you? Why won't you even try to engage with the counterarguments?

You claimed to have sound logic - were you just lying?

Where is it?

Outrider

« Reply #38699 on: February 25, 2020, 11:02:51 AM »

I don't need to take it into account, all of the evidence shows that it's an after effect of the decision making process.  If you want it to be included in the consideration you need to show how it can have a causitive effect on a decision that can be shown to have already been made before conscious awareness of the decision occurs.  You speculate on a non-temporal, non-physical interaction, and that might be a valid hypothesis, but you don't have anything to show that interacting with the physical reality to elevate it from a curious idea to something that needs to be actively considered.

It allows us to one aware of prior events, and to be influenced by them - but not dictated by them.

How? How is it influenced, but not determined, by prior events? What's the element that - I'm presuming we're still avoiding the idea of a random element - is influenced but not determined?  What are the other factors that influence the decision that aren't the product of prior events?

Of course, if you presume that conscious awareness itself is entirely defined by nothing but material reactions, then everything will just be an inevitable consequence of those reactions.

It's not a presumption, it's a conclusion from the available evidence.  We can see the interactions between the physical world and our sensory organs, between our sensory organs and our brains, between our brains and the decision making processes, and between the decision making process and the subsequent awareness of the conclusion.  We don't see anything apparently 'spontaneous' in there that would be the impact of something unknown influencing the process from a non-physical, undetected source.  We therefore conclude, based on the evidence, that consciousness is a manifestation of physical activity in the brain - it's a conclusion after the facts, not a presumption held in spite or incidental of them.

This is the root of our disagreement, because I put it to you that conscious awareness comprises perception of material reactions - not the reactions themselves.

And that's fine as a start point, but what you can't do with that presumption is discard the available evidence, create some sort of false equivalence between your concept and the measured reality and suggest that it's just a matter of preference which you go for.

Our conscious awareness is the source of our subjective reality, and in it lies the source of our freedom.

You can't just claim that and expect anyone to accept it, you need to support the claim with at least a logical explanation; how does something non-random generate this 'freedom' from cause and effect? Regardless of whether it's physical, spiritual or something else, what's the logical third path?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints