Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3734142 times)

SusanDoris

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #38750 on: February 26, 2020, 05:59:00 PM »
AB

As far as I'm concerned, your posts are drivel, and some of these recent ones in my opinion are sanctimonious drivel.
The aim of myposing on this thread …
An interesting speling mistake!!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #38751 on: February 27, 2020, 09:36:16 AM »
Sadly though you’ve given no food for thought to anyone possessed of a functioning intellect who wants to know whether you can justify the assertion “God” in the first place.
Dear Blue,

Can you please explain again, in simple steps, how such a statement can have credence if every thought ever experienced will have been determined (i.e. predetermined) by past events beyond conscious control?
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

« Reply #38752 on: February 27, 2020, 09:55:39 AM »
An interesting speling mistake!!
Thanks for pointing it out, Susan.  It has been duly corrected.  :)
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #38753 on: February 27, 2020, 09:57:56 AM »
Can you please explain again, in simple steps, how such a statement can have credence if every thought ever experienced will have been determined (i.e. predetermined) by past events beyond conscious control?

It's not "predetermined" Alan, for all the reasons you continually ignore.

You really are a prize hypocrite on top of everything else, aren't you? You demand detailed explanations, over and over again, only to totally ignore them, yet you yourself never properly answer questions or engage with reasoning at all.

A statement has credence because it is based on evidence and reasoning (as opposed to hand-waving, contradictory gibberish, blind faith or fallacy-ridden, unsound and invalid attempts at supporting it). How on earth do you think being determined by all the reasons for it would make the slightest difference?

Now, perhaps you can explain, in simple steps, how you could have done differently in exactly the same circumstance and state of mind, and therefore for no reason at all, without it being random - and do so without the meaningless gibberish about the "present".

Perhaps you could also, at last, either come up with something that resembles sound logic, or finally admit that you don't have any.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Alan Burns

« Reply #38754 on: February 27, 2020, 10:34:54 AM »

The reasons given do not add up.
If thoughts are determined by past events which are beyond conscious control they must be predetermined.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:11:11 AM by Alan Burns »

Outrider

« Reply #38755 on: February 27, 2020, 10:38:27 AM »
If thoughts are determined by past events which are beyond conscious control they must be predetermined.

It rather depends on the interpretation of the word. Not that it's that common, but in the common use 'predetermined' implies someone doing the determining in advance - to avoid that implication, you could choose inevitable or deterministic; personally, I think we can just take it in the spirit that it's meant, but that's just me.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #38756 on: February 27, 2020, 10:45:24 AM »
AB,

Certainly:

1. To date every observation we’ve made of the universe shows it to be determinative – essentially every effect has a cause, generally multiple causes interacting (I’m excluding for now discussion of “true” randomness at the quantum field level which may or may not reveal different insights).

2. This means that, absent a good reason to do so, when seeking to understand observed phenomena there’s no justification for departing from the determinative model.

3. When the determinative paradigm does not provide a cogent explanation moreover, that does not justify it’s abandonment. Why? Because we cannot just suppose that at some future time we won’t have better reasoning, instruments etc the will enable a determinative explanation to be found. That’s why, for example, huge amounts of energy and money were invested at CERN that found the Higgs-Boson, rather than just throwing up our hands and saying, “that’ll be Zeus (or whoever) then”. This is a basic error in thinking you make a lot.     

4. Evolution has no brief to arrive at “true” understandings of the world. Rather genetic mutations persist when they convey survival advantages on the host, but no more. What that mean is that the way things feel does not necessarily map accurately to the “out there” world. Specifically, having the feeling that we have truly “free” will is functionally important and useful, but there’s no reason to assume that the experience necessarily also maps to an underlying explanation for what’s actually happening.

5. We observe pretty much everywhere we look a phenomenon called “emergence” – that is, complex and sophisticated outcomes emerge spontaneously from simpler, interacting components that individually do not have the properties of the emergent property. Emergence happens “bottom up”, not “top down” – that is, there’s no need for a plan, a controller, an intellect to decide on what the outcome should be.

6. Relatively simple collections of constituent parts can produce much more complex emergent properties. There’s no good reason in principle therefore to think that the vastly populated and interacting components of brains could not produce the hugely complicated emergent property of consciousness.

7. Various fields of academic and medical research – neuroscience in particular – are gradually and painstakingly developing, testing and validating our understanding of consciousness. There are still significant gaps (which is why the work goes on) but as you should know by now gaps in explanations do not justify their abandonment for alternatives that have no investigable properties of any kind.   

8. So, to your question: it has “credence” because “free” will a you assert it to be works well enough at the functional, workaday, “that’ll do for practical purposes” level of abstraction at which you and a I are talking right now. That does not though for one moment mean that the logic- and evidence-based explanation of “free” will being a determinative process does not sit alongside that perfectly readily, just as the workaday experience of touching the keys in front of you does not invalidate the deeper understanding we have that no two objects ever actually touch because for the repellent forces involved. 

Now I know that you don’t want any of that to be true. Why? Because decades ago you came to some conclusions on which you then built the edifice of your various faith beliefs. Your problem though is that the falsify the determinative model you don’t want to be true you have to come up with reasoning of your own that’s more coherent, more robust, more resilient to critique. But you can’t do that because you have no such reasoning – instead you rely on assertions with no supporting reasoning (“it’s blindingly obvious that…” etc), or you do attempt reasoning of your own but when you do you always collapse into one or several of various fallacies. The reason you’re accused of trolling then is that rather than engage honestly with the explanations of why your arguments are fallacious, instead you just ignore the problem and then repeat exactly the same fallacies a bit later on.

So why not prove me wrong here and instead of pretending that nothing has been said that undoes you actually, finally, address openly and honestly those problems when they arise?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 10:52:08 AM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

SusanDoris

« Reply #38757 on: February 27, 2020, 11:08:42 AM »

You really are a prize hypocrite on top of everything else, aren't you? You demand detailed explanations, over and over again, only to totally ignore them, yet you yourself never properly answer questions or engage with reasoning at all.

A statement has credence because it is based on evidence and reasoning (as opposed to hand-waving, contradictory gibberish, blind faith or fallacy-ridden, unsound and invalid attempts at supporting it). How on earth do you think being determined by all the reasons for it would make the slightest difference?

Now, perhaps you can explain, in simple steps, how you could have done differently in exactly the same circumstance and state of mind, and therefore for no reason at all, without it being random - and do so without the meaningless gibberish about the "present".

Perhaps you could also, at last, either come up with something that resembles sound logic, or finally admit that you don't have any.
Now that is an excellent post.

Stranger

« Reply #38758 on: February 27, 2020, 11:11:16 AM »

This has been explained to you time and time again. Predetermined is not an appropriate description because it implies a plan - that things had been decided in advance. It's the difference between the words of a play and the moves of a chess computer (or, in your world, the actions of a non-human animal).

And it doesn't logically imply that there is no "conscious control", it is actually how we exercise control (consciously or otherwise).

The correct terminology for what you are calling "predetermined" is deterministic - but you want to redefine that word too. It's all a smokescreen to try to describe things in a way that encourages incredulity, rather than face up to the actual arguments that you just run away from.

Perhaps we should have a dictionary, in the format "alan-speak : normal English", it would be something like:
predetermined : deterministic
uncontrollable : deterministic
deterministic : determined by contradictory magic
control : contradictory magic
choice : contradictory magic

Anyway - I note once again the hypocrisy. You've had an answer to your question, been asked a follow-up question and asked another question that you've ignored multiple times - and you totally ignored all of them in favour of trying to redefine what words mean.

SusanDoris

« Reply #38759 on: February 27, 2020, 11:23:15 AM »

So why not prove me wrong here and instead of pretending that nothing has been said that undoes you actually, finally, address openly and honestly those problems when they arise?
no
Another excellent post. AB does not,in my opinion, because of his dishonest etc words, deserve   any of the care and trouble taken by thinking posters in their replies.

Alan Burns

« Reply #38760 on: February 27, 2020, 11:45:53 AM »
AB,

Certainly:

1. To date every observation we’ve made of the universe shows it to be determinative – essentially every effect has a cause, generally multiple causes interacting (I’m excluding for now discussion of “true” randomness at the quantum field level which may or may not reveal different insights).
Yes, I agree that what we observe of our universe shows it to be determined from time dependent cause and effect events,
Apart, that is, from the act of observation itself.
2. This means that, absent a good reason to do so, when seeking to understand observed phenomena there’s no justification for departing from the determinative model.
However, it is clear that some human minds are capable of deducing that they are not part of such a deterministic model
What would determine such an act of consciously choosing to depart from the deterministic model?
3. When the determinative paradigm does not provide a cogent explanation moreover, that does not justify it’s abandonment. Why? Because we cannot just suppose that at some future time we won’t have better reasoning, instruments etc the will enable a determinative explanation to be found. That’s why, for example, huge amounts of energy and money were invested at CERN that found the Higgs-Boson, rather than just throwing up our hands and saying, “that’ll be Zeus (or whoever) then”. This is a basic error in thinking you make a lot.     
And here we must consider what can possibly initiate and drive the process of investigation.  And how such investigation gets to be verified.
4. Evolution has no brief to arrive at “true” understandings of the world. Rather genetic mutations persist when they convey survival advantages on the host, but no more. What that mean is that the way things feel does not necessarily map accurately to the “out there” world. Specifically, having the feeling that we have truly “free” will is functionally important and useful, but there’s no reason to assume that the experience necessarily also maps to an underlying explanation for what’s actually happening.
The human minds involved in the extensive investigations you highlight can easily verify that their feeling of the conscious freedom needed to carry out such investigation is in fact a necessary truth.
5. We observe pretty much everywhere we look a phenomenon called “emergence” – that is, complex and sophisticated outcomes emerge spontaneously from simpler, interacting components that individually do not have the properties of the emergent property. Emergence happens “bottom up”, not “top down” – that is, there’s no need for a plan, a controller, an intellect to decide on what the outcome should be.
Observed emergence of any functionality in the interactions of individual elements does not explain how such functionality can become the single entity needed to generate the conscious awareness we all use to perform such observations.
6. Relatively simple collections of constituent parts can produce much more complex emergent properties. There’s no good reason in principle therefore to think that the vastly populated and interacting components of brains could not produce the hugely complicated emergent property of consciousness.
It is a demonstrable fact that random events are inherently destructive, not creative.
7. Various fields of academic and medical research – neuroscience in particular – are gradually and painstakingly developing, testing and validating our understanding of consciousness. There are still significant gaps (which is why the work goes on) but as you should know by now gaps in explanations do not justify their abandonment for alternatives that have no investigable properties of any kind.   
And it is all driven and verified by what?
8. So, to your question: it has “credence” because “free” will a you assert it to be works well enough at the functional, workaday, “that’ll do for practical purposes” level of abstraction at which you and a I are talking right now. That does not though for one moment mean that the logic- and evidence-based explanation of “free” will being a determinative process does not sit alongside that perfectly readily, just as the workaday experience of touching the keys in front of you does not invalidate the deeper understanding we have that no two objects ever actually touch because for the repellent forces involved. 
Your concept of our perceived freedom to be "just the way it seems" does not explain the demonstrable results such freedom can generate - this post of yours for instance.
Now I know that you don’t want any of that to be true. Why? Because decades ago you came to some conclusions on which you then built the edifice of your various faith beliefs. Your problem though is that the falsify the determinative model you don’t want to be true you have to come up with reasoning of your own that’s more coherent, more robust, more resilient to critique. But you can’t do that because you have no such reasoning – instead you rely on assertions with no supporting reasoning (“it’s blindingly obvious that…” etc), or you do attempt reasoning of your own but when you do you always collapse into one or several of various fallacies. The reason you’re accused of trolling then is that rather than engage honestly with the explanations of why your arguments are fallacious, instead you just ignore the problem and then repeat exactly the same fallacies a bit later on.
My honesty could never be used to vindicate that our free will is just an illusion, because it would be impossible for me to produce this detailed reply without such consciously driven freedom.
I just have.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:50:05 AM by Alan Burns »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #38761 on: February 27, 2020, 12:11:09 PM »
Yes, I agree that what we observe of our universe shows it to be determined from time dependent cause and effect events,

Don't be silly - to observe, for say change or no change, is time dependent too.

However, it is clear that some human minds are capable of deducing that they are not part of such a deterministic model

Some human minds are capable of making erroneous deductions.

What would determine such an act of consciously choosing to depart from the deterministic model?

I suspect determinism doesn't come with an opt-out option.

And here we must consider what can possibly initiate and drive the process of investigation.

People.

And how such investigation gets to be verified.

Robust methods so that findings can be replicated.

The human minds involved in the extensive investigations you highlight can easily verify that their feeling of the conscious freedom needed to carry out such investigation is in fact a necessary truth.

They might be wrong though, for various reasons, hence the importance of methods that include a robust verification approach that, for instance, protects against bias.

Observed emergence of any functionality in the interactions of individual elements does not explain how such functionality can become the single entity needed to generate the conscious awareness we all use to perform such observations.It is a demonstrable fact that random events are inherently destructive, not creative.And it is all driven and verified by what?Your concept of our perceived freedom to be "just the way it seems" does not explain the demonstrable results such freedom can generate - this post of yours for instance.My honesty could never be used to vindicate that our free will is just an illusion, because it would be impossible for me to produce this detailed reply without such consciously driven freedom.I just have.

This section is just more of your routine fallacious rambling.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #38762 on: February 27, 2020, 12:13:28 PM »
AB,

Do you remember that I explained to you that an unqualified assertion is not an argument?

I hear the unqualified assertion – now try to make an argument to justify it.

No it isn’t and no it doesn’t. “Deducing” requires a logical path from premise to conclusion – all you have is the unqualified assertion that the experience of “free” will must also be the explanation for it. Now try to make an argument to justify it.

And here we must consider what can possibly initiate and drive the process of investigation.  And how such investigation gets to be verified.

No we don’t for the reason that’s been explained to you – emergence happens bottom up, not top down – there’s not need for a “something” to “initiate” and “drive” the outcome. What you're doing here a is assuming your conclusion – now try to make an argument to justify it.

I hear the unqualified assertion – now try to make an argument to justify it.

Observed emergence of any functionality in the interactions of individual elements does not explain how such functionality can become the single entity needed to generate the conscious awareness we all use to perform such observations.

Emergence doesn’t have to be observed to exist – it’s a universal phenomenon notwithstanding – and you fundamentally misunderstand (again) that it does explain consciousness as a phenomenon in principle because emergent properties emerge bottom up, not the other way around. If you seriously think otherwise, try to make an argument to justify the claim.   

It is a demonstrable fact that random events are inherently destructive, not creative.

Well that’s stupid. The interaction of numerous “events” happens because of the non-random laws of physics. If you seriously think otherwise, try to make an argument to justify the claim.   

And it is all driven and verified by what?

What are you even trying to say here? Scientific research is “driven” by the various organisations and people that do it, obviously. At that level of abstraction the choice to do the research is “free”. It cannot though be free at the explanatory level you’d like it to be, but cannot make an argument to justify.

Your concept of our perceived freedom to be "just the way it seems" does not explain the demonstrable results such freedom can generate - this post of yours for instance.

Yes it does, as you’d know if you’d understood or been honest about a single word that had been said here. That you have no idea about what rhetorical logic entails – in this case the non sequitur – is forgivable; what isn’t is your obtuse refusal ever to engage with the mistakes you make once they’ve been explained to you.

My honesty could never be used to vindicate that our free will is just an illusion, because it would be impossible for me to produce this detailed reply without such consciously driven freedom.

More bullshit. Your dishonesty is the problem here because you just ignore the falsifications you’re given and then repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

I just have.

Not even close. Oh well – I tried.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:18:08 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Stranger

« Reply #38763 on: February 27, 2020, 12:39:55 PM »

Your reasoning and/or evidence for this supposed exception is.... missing.

I've never seen such a deduction - all you've produced is assertion, blind faith, fallacies, and gibberish. Nothing at all that even resembles a deduction. A deduction requires accepted premises and clear logical steps to a conclusion.

First you need to establish that such an act is even logically self-consistent, let alone real.

My honesty could never be used to vindicate that our free will is just an illusion, because it would be impossible for me to produce this detailed reply without such consciously driven freedom.I just have.

Back to mindlessly repeating this idiotic assertion.

How is it a demonstration? You have produced bugger all in the way of reasoning that could take us from the ability to think and write posts to your contradictory version of "freedom".

Remember the point that you've yet again totally ignored? People do accept that we can think, reason, and express themselves, they do not accept that that is the same thing, or even evidence for, your contradictory assertions about it being not deterministic (could have done differently) and not random.

Just stamping your little foot and insisting, over and over again, that the one means the other is not an argument.

I just have.

You're joking, right? This is blatantly, obviously, and totally false. You've yet again, totally ignored the counterarguments and just mindlessly churned out another repetition of your logic- and evidence-free script.

Sound logical deduction requires a set of premises, that all those involved can accept, and clear and valid logical steps to a conclusion. Your only hint at premises contradicted each other and are simply not accepted by anybody you're arguing with. What's more, what passes for your "argument", to the extent you've produced anything at all that isn't an obvious fallacy, baseless assertion, or gibberish, isn't even valid. In other words, even if we accepted your contradictory assertions as premises, your conclusion still wouldn't follow from it (which is actually telling in itself as, strictly speaking, you can deduce anything at all from a contradiction).

I'll ask yet again: you said you had sound logic, where is it?

torridon

« Reply #38764 on: February 27, 2020, 12:43:46 PM »

and if thoughts are not an outcome of past events, then they are random. Are your thoughts random ?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #38765 on: February 27, 2020, 02:24:05 PM »
Alan

Let us pretend I am in your kitchen and we are discussing nuts.

I agree that I like nuts (and I do) and that I'd like to eat some right now, so you decide to give me a choice of 4 varieties of nut, each of which I say I like and would be happy to eat. You place some of each variety in separate dishes - but you add one condition; that I must select and eat some nuts from only one of the 4 available dishes.

So, what do you think might determine my choice of nut since I like them all and I'm hungry, so I'm going to make a choice?

ippy

« Reply #38766 on: February 27, 2020, 03:50:49 PM »
Today is ash Wednesday.  The first day of Lent.  Lent is a period in which many Christians freely choose to give up some of the things they normally enjoy doing.  It is a valid demonstration of our unique freedom to make consciously driven choices determined by an act of will, not driven by past events beyond our conscious control.

That's just like it's my freedom to not take seriously anything as unfounded as belief in any religion.

Commiserations Alan, ippy.

Alan Burns

« Reply #38767 on: February 27, 2020, 05:41:59 PM »
Alan

Let us pretend I am in your kitchen and we are discussing nuts.

I agree that I like nuts (and I do) and that I'd like to eat some right now, so you decide to give me a choice of 4 varieties of nut, each of which I say I like and would be happy to eat. You place some of each variety in separate dishes - but you add one condition; that I must select and eat some nuts from only one of the 4 available dishes.

So, what do you think might determine my choice of nut since I like them all and I'm hungry, so I'm going to make a choice?
But I must ask, Gordon - what determined and drove the thought processes needed for you to consciously think up this highly contrived scenario?

It feels like I am leading a one man crusade on this thread to defend the reality of the existence of human free will.  A the existence of which over 99% of the human population considers does not need defending.

Étienne d'Angleterre

« Reply #38768 on: February 27, 2020, 05:51:16 PM »
But I must ask, Gordon - what determined and drove the thought processes needed for you to consciously think up this highly contrived scenario?

It feels like I am leading a one man crusade on this thread to defend the reality of the existence of human free will.  A the existence of which over 99% of the human population considers does not need defending.

So an evasion followed by the ad pop fallacy.

Why can't you just answer the question?

Alan Burns

« Reply #38769 on: February 27, 2020, 05:58:56 PM »
So an evasion followed by the ad pop fallacy.

Why can't you just answer the question?
Because I am being asked to pretend to engage in in a scenario which Gordon mistakenly supposes will defend his concept about the existence  (or non existence) of human free will.  But Gordon fails to see that the act of pretending to engage in such a scenario says more about the reality of our human free will than just playing out the pretence can ever do.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #38770 on: February 27, 2020, 06:01:16 PM »
AB,

Why must you ask that when you’ve had explained to you that emergent phenomena don’t have or need anything to “determine” or to “drive” them? 

It feels like I am leading a one man crusade on this thread to defend the reality of the existence of human free will.

No you’re not. To the extent that it’s only A reality no-one disputes that, just as to the extent that thinking you actually touch the keys in front of you is only A reality, no-one disputes that either. What’s disputed of course is that in both cases these realities are useful narratives, but nothing more – the explanations for what’s actually going on are very different.   

…the existence of which over 99% of the human population considers does not need defending.

And over 99% of the human population think they actually touch things too. See, that’s the problem when you commit the basic fallacy of the argumentum ad populum – truth isn’t a popularity contest; it’s hard won with the tools or reason and evidence, not the way things happen to feel in the moment. But then again you knew this didn’t you because the ad pop mistake has been explained to you many times. Why then have you just ignored the explanation and committed exactly the same mistake once more?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 06:13:48 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Stranger

« Reply #38771 on: February 27, 2020, 06:05:34 PM »
But Gordon fails to see that the act of pretending to engage in such a scenario says more about the reality of our human free will than just playing out the pretence can ever do.

So now we have evasion, ad populum, and baseless assertion.

Still no hint of anything like sound logic. Were you just lying, are you prepared to admit to not understanding what you were claiming, or can you actually produce anything at all that even looks like sound logic...?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #38772 on: February 27, 2020, 06:14:34 PM »

Nothing contrived about it: I bought two packets of nuts today! Choosing from a range of available foods is, I'd imagine, an experience many of us have had - variations of 'finger food' at business lunches was a regular experience for me back in the day.

You are a one-man-band, and that should worry you.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #38773 on: February 27, 2020, 06:21:25 PM »
Because I am being asked to pretend to engage in in a scenario which Gordon mistakenly supposes will defend his concept about the existence  (or non existence) of human free will.  But Gordon fails to see that the act of pretending to engage in such a scenario says more about the reality of our human free will than just playing out the pretence can ever do.

I'm just asking about choices where all of the options are acceptable but only one can prevail - when you consider a restaurant menu you don't order everything, so on what basis do you choose?

This is a situation I'd imagine we've all faced, so stop trying to portray this as some kind of highly unusual set of circumstances - so, and to borrow the name of a very good racehorse of a few years ago, is it beef or salmon, Alan (and on what basis)? 

Étienne d'Angleterre

« Reply #38774 on: February 27, 2020, 06:33:44 PM »

No one is asking you to pretend to engage you already do that. You are being asked to actually  engage.

So how about addressing Gordon's question and also stranger's one about how you could have chosen differently  if all other things where the same and at the same time the choice not be random?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 06:35:52 PM by Étienne d'Angleterre »