Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3736180 times)

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #38900 on: March 04, 2020, 12:04:11 PM »
Why does that ability require that we could have done differently without randomness?
It is all down to what drives our conscious ability to think, to reason, and to draw conclusions.  If you deem this driving force to be defined by past chains of cause and effect which have no consciously invoked starting cause or influence, then every thought you have will be just an inevitable reaction with no conscious freedom.

So, is it that you're completely ignoring everything that has been said about this, that you haven't even read it, that you're too stupid to understand it, or that you don't care because you think your magic sky fairy is rewarding you for just mindlessly repeating this drivel?

How many more times do you need this explaining before you even acknowledge that you've been given an answer?

Our ability to think, reason, and draw conclusions comes from our intellect and nothing that you've said goes anywhere near to answering my question as to why that requires that we could have done differently without randomness.

And you're still muddling up, or deliberately misrepresenting, the relevance of consciousness. There is nothing about determinism that means that there is no role for consciousness. Consciousness could still to the actual deciding.

And this is all an argumentum ad consequentiam fallacy anyway. I'll ask again (for all the good it will do): what is it with you and fallacies? What goes through your mind when people point them out? If you think they don't apply in the specific case, why don't you say why? Do you think fallacies just don't apply to the Great Alan Burns? What?

As I have said many times on this thread, human will is influenced by the past but not controlled by it.

Still utterly baseless assertion.

The essential freedom needed to enable our ability to think, to reason, and to draw conclusions can only be invoked from our current state of conscious awareness, not the past.

Still gibberish.

How do you resolve the contradiction that if we could have done differently, in exactly the same circumstances and state of mind, there can be no possible reason, so it must be random?

It is resolved by the power of our consciously controlled human will, which is certainly not random, nor is it chained to past events.

Dimwitted repetition of, effectively, "it's magic, innit?" cannot resolve a logical contradiction - and again you seem to be struggling with the difference between what and how questions.

I'm still waiting for any hint of your promised "sound logic" and anything like coherent answers to my questions.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #38901 on: March 04, 2020, 12:18:14 PM »
Stranger,

I'm still waiting for any hint of your promised "sound logic" and anything like coherent answers to my questions.

Not far from where I live is a disused railway line called the Dunmow Flitch. The track has long since been torn up to create a rather nice country walk and cycling route, but the stations are still there. One of the stations is now a small café, and tables and chairs are set out on the old platform. The people enjoying their tea and cake there will wait for the next train for less time than you’ll wait for sound logic from AB.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Stranger

« Reply #38902 on: March 04, 2020, 12:28:44 PM »
You can't apply logic without the essential freedom needed to think, to analyse and draw conclusions.
Our freedom to think must come first.

What is totally missing is any reason to think that the "freedom" required for these activities is also the "freedom" you assert it to be, in that we could have done differently without randomness. Where is the connection? What is it about spotting a problem, thinking it through, and coming to a conclusion that needs this nonsensical Alice in Wonderland version of "freedom"?

Where is your logic?
  • Please don't Humpty Dumpty the word "freedom" - that isn't logic.
  • Please don't witter on about "consciously driven" because it's irrelevant to the question.

Outrider

« Reply #38903 on: March 04, 2020, 01:34:51 PM »
Sound logic comes from the consciously driven ability to think, to asses, to reason, to draw inferences and to form conclusions.

The 'consciously driven' bit there is unevidenced, but the rest of it's a reasonable start point.

Yet many on this thread claim that such consciously driven ability must be an illusion because thoughts themselves must be entirely driven by previous events in a deterministic system.

Not because thoughts must be from some ideological perspective, but because that's the explanation that fits the available evidence.

You start off from a presumption that this ability to logically analyse can be derived from a deterministic system in which every event is entirely defined by a previous event.

No, we don't.  We start from a position where we have a well-validated method for investigating observable phenomena - the scientific method - and an observable phenomenon - consciousness.  We apply one to the other and derive from that some conclusions.   Given the nature of the scientific method, those conclusions are always to some extent provisional, and consciousness is far from the robustly evidenced piece of science, currently, but nothing that you're putting forth at the moment is sufficient to undermine our best current understanding.

So for any form of logic to be enabled in our conscious awareness, you must presume that it is capable of being derived from unguidable reactions to previous events.

Not presume, conclude, but yes.

I put it to you that any form of logic could never come into our conscious awareness without the essential freedom needed to think, to asses, to reason, to draw inferences and to form conclusions.

You can put that, but you need to justify it, or I can just as easily put to you that, in fact, we can and the discussion has gone absolutely nowhere.  Why do you believe that free will is required to make logical deductions?  Of all the forms of the thought possible, I'd suggest that logical deductions are the easiest to justify in a deterministic brain, trying to justify artistic decisions would have been the more technical stretch.

The science of neurology is only scraping the surface of the workings of the human mind.  After 100 years of investigation the concepts of thought and memory have yet to be discovered in neurological terms.  The idea that it all emerges from physical reactions  is just a presumption based on very limited scientific knowledge.

The detail of thought and memory, perhaps, but the underpinnings are there and broadly understood.  As to the idea that it all emerges from physical reactions that's not speculation from an imperfect knowledge, that's a deduction from the absolute lack of any evidence of any other system at work.  Even if our current understanding of how the brain works were to be proven wrong, you'd still need some sort of supporting evidence for some other mechanism of activity that could interfere with our activity in order to justify a claim of a non-physical element to consciousness.

Let's presume, for a moment, that everything science believes it has concluded about neurology, psychology and the function of the brain is fundamentally flawed.  That leaves us knowing absolutely nothing - your claim of some spiritual component is completely unaffected by that revelation because it has no more nor less foundation than it had before, which is to say none.  If you want to posit a non-materialist element to consciousness, if you want to try to make 'free will' work, you need to resolve the logical conflicts inherent in the concept and provide a framework in which such ideas could be justified.  Choosing not to accept the current best understanding of science only justifies the claim 'I don't know', it doesn't justify the claims 'therefore souls' or 'hence free will'.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #38904 on: March 04, 2020, 02:18:35 PM »
Evasion evasion evasion.

Nobody has asked how you go about thinking or deducing logic.  The question is, what is the logic ?
Whatever the logic is, if it denies the essential freedom of thought needed to deduce the said logic, then this logic is inherently flawed.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Stranger

« Reply #38905 on: March 04, 2020, 02:24:21 PM »
Whatever the logic is, if it denies the essential freedom of thought needed to deduce the said logic, then this logic is inherently flawed.

So what we need from you then, is the logic (that you claimed to have, let's not forget) that tells us that this "essential freedom of thought" consists of being able to have done differently without randomness, and the reasoning that manages to reconcile that contradiction.

This is so far conspicuous only by its complete absence from any part of your oft repeated script...

torridon

« Reply #38906 on: March 04, 2020, 02:57:53 PM »

So, no logic then.  Instead, more of William James' 'quagmire' of evasion using 'freedom' to obscure illogic.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 03:00:21 PM by torridon »

Alan Burns

« Reply #38907 on: March 04, 2020, 03:01:28 PM »
So what we need from you then, is the logic (that you claimed to have, let's not forget) that tells us that this "essential freedom of thought" consists of being able to have done differently without randomness, and the reasoning that manages to reconcile that contradiction.

This is so far conspicuous only by its complete absence from any part of your oft repeated script...
The idea that you could not have made any other choices during the process of arriving at a logical conclusion renders any logical conclusion to be an unavoidable reaction, without any means of consciously driven validation.  Can you not see the problem with verifying the credibility of any such conclusion?  You would need to show that each unavoidable step in the process of arriving at any logical conclusion was somehow infallible.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

ippy

« Reply #38908 on: March 04, 2020, 03:21:15 PM »
Stranger,

Not far from where I live is a disused railway line called the Dunmow Flitch. The track has long since been torn up to create a rather nice country walk and cycling route, but the stations are still there. One of the stations is now a small café, and tables and chairs are set out on the old platform. The people enjoying their tea and cake there will wait for the next train for less time than you’ll wait for sound logic from AB.

Like it,  ;D ;D ;D.

Regards, ippy

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #38909 on: March 04, 2020, 03:23:05 PM »
AB,

As you seem to be entirely unable or unwilling to engage with the reasoning that falsifies this nonsense let’s try a different approach. Imagine for a moment that the logically coherent model is correct – ie, that “free” will is deterministic – how exactly do you think the experience would feel any different from the experience you have?

That’s right, it wouldn’t; it would be indistinguishable from the impression of agency you have and that you just assume also to be the explanation for the phenomenon. So then, of the two option that feel just the same why would you pick the logically incoherent one over the logically coherent one, except that it unless that’s the only way you can find to justify some faith beliefs you happen to hold a priori?

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #38910 on: March 04, 2020, 03:28:37 PM »
AB,

The idea that you could not have made any other choices during the process of arriving at a logical conclusion renders any logical conclusion to be an unavoidable reaction, without any means of consciously driven validation.

Sort of, but close enough.

Can you not see the problem with verifying the credibility of any such conclusion?

No. The “verification” would be the reasoning that is itself a determinist process. So what?

You would need to show that each unavoidable step in the process of arriving at any logical conclusion was somehow infallible.

I have no idea what thought you’re even trying to express here, and nor I suspect have you.

God

Stranger

« Reply #38911 on: March 04, 2020, 03:40:00 PM »
The idea that you could not have made any other choices during the process of arriving at a logical conclusion renders any logical conclusion to be an unavoidable reaction...

Or involving some randomness.

...without any means of consciously driven validation.

Nonsense.

How many more times? The role of consciousness is irrelevant. There is nothing about being able to have done differently or not that, in and of itself, either needs or excludes consciousness in any particular role.

Can you not see the problem with verifying the credibility of any such conclusion?

No.

You would need to show that each unavoidable step in the process of arriving at any logical conclusion was somehow infallible.

What!? How the hell do you work that out? We only have to look at your car crash of an attempt at rational argument to know that the process isn't infallible.

So where in that was anything remotely resembling logic, let alone logic that connects our abilities to your contradictory version of "freedom" or any means to resolve its contradiction?

Alan Burns

« Reply #38912 on: March 04, 2020, 03:40:13 PM »
AB,

As you seem to be entirely unable or unwilling to engage with the reasoning that falsifies this nonsense let’s try a different approach. Imagine for a moment that the logically coherent model is correct – ie, that “free” will is deterministic – how exactly do you think the experience would feel any different from the experience you have?

You are digressing from the point in question.

How does this imaginary scenario explain how the process of coming to a logical conclusion can be validated without any conscious freedom to think?
How precisely could your subconscious brain activity think up this imaginary scenario before it pops up in your conscious awareness?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #38913 on: March 04, 2020, 03:50:24 PM »
The idea that you could not have made any other choices during the process of arriving at a logical conclusion renders any logical conclusion to be an unavoidable reaction, without any means of consciously driven validation.  Can you not see the problem with verifying the credibility of any such conclusion?  You would need to show that each unavoidable step in the process of arriving at any logical conclusion was somehow infallible.

Don't be silly: I see we now have "consciously driven validation", which is another of your made-up offerings and we now have 'infallible' thrown into the mix - just chucking words at phrases at the issue does nothing to make your stance less incoherent that it already is.

The choice made is the result of all the factors at play, which includes external events and the internal state of the chooser, which may involve traits and biases that they are not consciously aware of, and how good they are at thinking. The outcome/choice is therefore the consequence of the precise combination of all the elements affecting the chooser at that specific point. If you are to argue that exactly the same situation could produce a different outcome/choice due to 'free will' then the original outcome must have involved some randomness, and if so then it isn't 'free'.

Alan Burns

« Reply #38914 on: March 04, 2020, 03:53:22 PM »

What!? How the hell do you work that out? We only have to look at your car crash of an attempt at rational argument to know that the process isn't infallible.

So you are quite rightly saying the processes involved in any human brain reaching a logical conclusion are not infallible.
Yet Bluehillside claims that "The “verification” would be the reasoning that is itself a determinist process"
So if the reasoning within our brain is just a reaction to past events, and such reasoning is not in itself infallible, how can you possibly identify a correct logical conclusion from an incorrect one?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 04:23:03 PM by Alan Burns »

Stranger

« Reply #38915 on: March 04, 2020, 04:02:10 PM »
So you are quite rightly saying the processes involved in any human brain reaching a logical conclusion are not infallible.
Yet Bluehillside claims that "The “verification” would be the reasoning that is itself a determinist process"
So if the reasoning within our brain is just a reaction to past events, and such reasoning is not in itself infallible, how can you possibly verify a correct logical conclusion from an incorrect one?

That's what brains have learned to do (some of them anyway) - how would being able to have done differently with no randomness help?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #38916 on: March 04, 2020, 04:03:07 PM »
AB,

You are digressing from the point in question.

Oh stop it now – that’s hysterical coming from the king of digression, the Archduke of avoidance, the Nabob of never answering. And no, the “point in question” was the logic you refuse to provide, not the endless avoidance of it you keep trying.       

How does this imaginary scenario explain how the process of coming to a logical conclusion can be validated without any conscious freedom to think?

How precisely could your subconscious brain activity think up this imaginary scenario before it pops up in your conscious awareness?

Ah, your old argument from personal incredulity fallacy raises its head again I see. Whether the answer to how the subconscious operates is fully understood, partially understood or not understood at all TELLS YOU ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THE ROBUSTNESS OR OTHERWISE OF THE LOGIC FOR FREE WILL BEING DETERMINISTIC. That's the "digression" here - rather then ever address the logic that undoes you, instead you demand to know how a physiological process works as if the answer would tell you anything at all about the logic that justifies determinism. It wouldn't though. Nothing. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Not a sausage.

The process by which consciousness works and the logic that forces you to either a deterministic or a random model for it HAVE ABSOLUTELY SWEET FA TO DO WITH EACH OTHER.     

Please tell me that this has finally sunk in now.

Something?

Anything?

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #38917 on: March 04, 2020, 04:09:22 PM »
AB,

So if the reasoning within our brain is just a reaction to past events, and such reasoning is not in itself infallible, how can you possibly verify a correct logical conclusion from an incorrect one?

This is an even bigger mess than your usual car crash attempts at argument. What on earth makes you think that arguments to justify a belief must also be infallible for Pete’s sake? All of science operates on the basis of non-infallible explanations – that’s why it deals in theories that could be falsified if more robust reasoning or contradictory evidence was ever to arrive.

Have you any sense at all of how out of your depth you are here?

Anything?

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #38918 on: March 04, 2020, 04:28:42 PM »
That's what brains have learned to do (some of them anyway) -
Yet you claim that consciousness is irrelevant.  How can learning be accomplished without conscious awareness?
how would being able to have done differently with no randomness help?
Our ability to consciously choose, rather than just react to the past allows us the freedom to home in on a result which we (consciously) believe to be a valid logical deduction.

Alan Burns

« Reply #38919 on: March 04, 2020, 04:36:15 PM »
AB,

This is an even bigger mess than your usual car crash attempts at argument. What on earth makes you think that arguments to justify a belief must also be infallible for Pete’s sake?
Sorry, of course it is only your arguments which are infallible  ::)
It was you claimed that "The “verification” would be the reasoning that is itself a determinist process"., which implies that deterministic brain processing can somehow be self validating, (since they are not verifiable by conscious interaction)
All of science operates on the basis of non-infallible explanations – that’s why it deals in theories that could be falsified if more robust reasoning or contradictory evidence was ever to arrive.
And what is there to verify this "more robust reasoning" without consciously driven interaction?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #38920 on: March 04, 2020, 04:44:15 PM »
Our ability to consciously choose, rather than just react to the past allows us the freedom to home in on a result which we (consciously) believe to be a valid logical deduction.

Have you considered that the "ability to consciously choose" is just a natural reaction to events, albeit a considered one (even if the consideration might go awry at times)?   

Stranger

« Reply #38921 on: March 04, 2020, 04:45:16 PM »
Yet you claim that consciousness is irrelevant.  How can learning be accomplished without conscious awareness?

I didn't say that it could be - but non-human animals definitely learn things, so even in your world, that doesn't need god-magic souls.

I didn't ask you about consciousness, I asked you about the ability to have done differently without randomness.

Please try get this into your mind:-

The role of consciousness is logically unrelated to being able to have done differently with no randomness.

If you think there is a connection, then it's up to you to supply the logic. You have yet to provide any reason at all to think that a conscious choice cannot also be an inevitable reaction.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #38922 on: March 04, 2020, 04:50:59 PM »
AB,

Well, that’s progress I guess.

Yes.

So if the reasoning within our brain is just a reaction to past events, and such reasoning is not in itself infallible, how can you possibly identify a correct logical conclusion from an incorrect one?

Ah, the argumentum ad consequentiam fallacy appears yet again. You do understand that morality is a human construction, and thus that there are no infallibly “correct” moral positions right?   

Sorry, of course it is only your arguments which are infallible

No, just logically robust. No-one, least of all me, claims infallibility though. Why would you suggest otherwise except as a straw man?

It was you claimed that "The “verification” would be the reasoning that is itself a determinist process"., which implies that deterministic brain processing can somehow be self validating, (since they are not verifiable by conscious interaction)

Actually, validated by intersubjective experience since you ask – the ‘plane seems to take off, fly and land safely I conclude therefore that aeronautical engineering is more validated than, say, relying on angels to fly us to Ibiza. So what though?

And what is there to verify this "more robust reasoning" without consciously driven interaction?

The apparent experience of apparently flying in aeroplanes apparently safely for one. The logic I have is testable in the world the “I” that seems to be seems to occupy, so that validates it. Conversely when someone claims “god” or soul” there’s no means of testing these claims (least of all a means offered by the claimant), so there’s no means to validate them.

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #38923 on: March 04, 2020, 05:16:17 PM »

The process by which consciousness works and the logic that forces you to either a deterministic or a random model for it HAVE ABSOLUTELY SWEET FA TO DO WITH EACH OTHER.     

If this is the case, please explain how your brain is coming up with value judgements on the posts I make?
Can such value judgements be accomplished by sub conscious brain activity devoid of consciously controlled interaction?

torridon

« Reply #38924 on: March 04, 2020, 05:35:26 PM »
If this is the case, please explain how your brain is coming up with value judgements on the posts I make?
Can such value judgements be accomplished by sub conscious brain activity devoid of consciously controlled interaction?

That is diversion, red herring, evasion.  The truth of a proposition is not a function of the particularities of neural processing in human brains.  The Earth was orbiting the Sun long before humans became capable of conceiving the fact.