Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3736681 times)

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #39475 on: March 21, 2020, 09:16:04 AM »
An experience of freedom would not be capable of yielding the same result as the freedom needed to guide your thought processes to a viable conclusion. 

Baseless assertion.

So why does the kind of "freedom" that is needed to guide thought processes, have to be the kind that could have done differently without randomness? In other words why does the way "freedom" works have to be the same way that you intuitively feel it is?

But the truth you continue to avoid is the absolute improbability of being able to reach any viable conclusion by physical reactions alone without the freedom needed to guide your thought processes.

False dilemma.

So why would physical reactions alone not allow for the needed kind of "freedom"?

The reality implies that we have much more freedom than can be achieved through physically determined reactions of material elements.

Baseless assertion.

The source of this freedom is beyond your understanding, but it must exist because you exist.  You are the source.

Baseless assertion.

Still waiting for your logic or enough honesty to admit you don't have any.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Stranger

« Reply #39476 on: March 21, 2020, 09:18:07 AM »
The way I think is down to me.  I use my God given freedom to think, as we all do.  I guide my own thoughts because I have the power to do so.

Foot-stamp, foot-stamp, foot-stamp.   ::)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #39477 on: March 21, 2020, 10:50:22 AM »
Not 'God' then?

Aside from the logical matters you just ignore, it is important to remember that always underpinning all your own bizarre ideas is the even more bizarre notion of 'God', even if you don't mention it.

You're peddling a fantasy, Alan.
God is our creator, Gordon.

You may choose to marvel at what you think was produced by the purposeless, unguided forces of this material universe.
I marvel at the unfathomable creative power of God which is beyond human understanding.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

« Reply #39478 on: March 21, 2020, 10:58:28 AM »
But what would it mean to say we could have chosen differently in the same circumstances ?  To express it a little more formally :

I chose a rather than b given situation c

The claim of free will then says that I could have :

chosen b rather than a given situation c

If this were true, that renders c irrelevant to the resolution of choice. ie the choice is random, the outcome has no causal relation to the relevant situation.
You still appear to have no concept of the difference between choice and reaction.
Given situation c, I know I have a choice between feasible options a or b.  Situation c offers the choice, but c does not make the choice - I make the choice.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Stranger

« Reply #39479 on: March 21, 2020, 11:05:23 AM »
You still appear to have no concept of the difference between choice and reaction.
Given situation c, I know I have a choice between feasible options a or b.  Situation c offers the choice, but c does not make the choice - I make the choice.

Mindless repetition. This has been addressed countless times before, by several different people, so why do you just ignore the answers and do this daft broken speak-your-weight machine act? This is not the behaviour of an intelligent adult.

Still waiting for your logic or enough honesty to admit you don't have any.

Walter

« Reply #39480 on: March 21, 2020, 11:10:43 AM »

You may choose to marvel at what you think was produced by the purposeless, unguided forces of this material universe.
I marvel at the unfathomable creative power of God which is beyond human understanding.
AB

that's all you need to say Alan . However don't pretend you can support it with evidence because there isn't any .
If you just accept that , then this ridiculous thread can come to an end .

Please !

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #39481 on: March 21, 2020, 11:15:25 AM »
AB,

An experience of freedom would not be capable of yielding the same result as the freedom needed to guide your thought processes to a viable conclusion.

“The freedom needed to guide” is just a repetition of your previous mistake, and essentially yes it would. Deterministic consciousness would be (in fact IS) experientially indistinguishable from your invisible little logic-free man at the controls version – each would appear to be the process of independent agency over our thoughts, only the former explanation is consistent with reason and evidence and the latter is just “it’s magic innit?”.

In your example, fingers do touch the keys because it is their force fields which are touching.  Force fields are just as much part of the finger as atoms.  If the atoms actually touched there would be colliding electrons and ensuing chaos.

Way to miss the point. Ask almost anyone whether fingers actually touch the keys – ie, material touches material – and almost all will say yes. Why? Because it just feels that way, everyone agrees, it’s "obvious", it’s "blatant", it's "common sense" etc – you know, exactly the same things you say about your conjectures with no arguments or logic to support them. The difference though is that, when confronted with reason and evidence, most people will accept that their perception of touching was wrong. When you’re confronted with reason and evidence about your assertions though, you just double down with the way it feels, “obvious”, “blatant”, "flawed”, "common sense" etc. Why? Because you’re so emotionally invested in your beliefs that you cannot bear to be honest enough to confront the sound reasons that falsify them and the total absence of sound reasons to justify them.   

But the truth you continue to avoid is the absolute improbability of being able to reach any viable conclusion by physical reactions alone without the freedom needed to guide your thought processes.

What makes you think that that’s so improbable at all, let alone that the way out of supposed unlikeliness is to rely on magic for your answer? Given sufficient complexity there’s no reason to assume that a brain could not produce consciousness as an emergent property. Your incredulity about that is all you have, but no logic at all. 

The reality…

YOUR reality AB, not THE reality…

…implies that we have much more freedom than can be achieved through physically determined reactions of material elements.

I hear the assertion, but – yet again – where’s the logic to support it? Your incredulity just “implies” that you vastly underestimate the complexity of brains and that you’re ignorant of even the basic principles of emergence (despite having them explained to you several times). Does that mean the consciousness must therefore be an emergent property of brains? Not necessarily no, but it does mean that we have a perfectly good explanation in principle significantly but not wholly supported by evidence with no sensible reason at all for junking it in favour of “it’s magic innit?”.

The source of this freedom is beyond your understanding, but it must exist because you exist.  You are the source.

That’s just incoherent. Must leprechauns exist because rainbows exist? Must unicorns exist because hoof prints exist? Must Jack Frost exist because it was icy this morning? That something exists isn’t on its own evidence for anything (other than that it exists at all). To be evidence for something you need logic that connects premise(s) with conclusion(s). “It must exist because you exist…” doesn’t even get its trousers off for this purpose – it’s just (yet another) mindless assertion.

You can of course keep repeating the same utter nonsense over and over again so as to refuse ever to engage with the arguments that falsify it, but this behaviour just makes you look foolish or dishonest (or both). Keep behaving that way if you want to, but it’s not a good look when you try it among thinking people. Really it isn’t.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:07:47 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

torridon

« Reply #39482 on: March 21, 2020, 12:14:23 PM »

Then you haven't grasped the substance of the example; I put it into simple formal logic terms hoping you would see that it is the bare logic of the free will claim that is incoherent, and it is nothing to do with what it is that is making the choice, for instance whether it is done consciously or not.  If you could have chosen differently, that indicates the choice was in fact resolved irrespective of the pertinent considerations and that indicates a random choice was made; this is true irrespective of whether the agent of choice is conscious or not.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #39483 on: March 21, 2020, 12:55:37 PM »

You made the choice that was the outcome of all the factors involved, which includes everything about you (including your subconscious biases) as well as the prevailing circumstances - were the situation to be repeated on exactly the same basis then it would be irrational to expect a different choice unless:

a) the original choice involved an element of randomness, and if it did there would be implications for choice-making in general, or/and

b) the repeat wasn't an exact match.

You really aren't as 'free' as you imagine, Alan, though you do have a degree of freedom. Let's face it though: your claim of 'free will' is predicated on 'God', which is why it is nonsense.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:03:03 PM by Gordon »

Stranger

« Reply #39484 on: March 21, 2020, 03:19:16 PM »
You made the choice that was the outcome of all the factors involved, which includes everything about you (including your subconscious biases) as well as the prevailing circumstances - were the situation to be repeated on exactly the same basis then it would be irrational to expect a different choice unless:

a) the original choice involved an element of randomness, and if it did there would be implications for choice-making in general, or/and

Exactly. However, give past performance, I'd now expect Alan to do one of the following:
  • Ignore it and "answer" something he thinks is easier.

• "Mistake" the purpose of a thought experiment and insist that it's impossible to "rewind time" and face exactly the same choice.

• Appeal to consequences and say that it would reduce a choice an "inevitable reaction".

• Post his usual gibberish about the "present state of conscious awareness".

• Tell you that you "fail to understand the power of human will" or similar.

• Repeat yet again that you are "aware of all the factors" but that they do not dictate the outcome and it's you that decide.

• Assert again that your ability to compose such a post proves it to be wrong.

• More foot-stamping about "the reality" of our freedom.
Or maybe he'll finally decide to engage with this and all the other answers he's been given and actually produce some of the logic he claimed to have........

......was that a flock of pigs I just saw out the window?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 03:35:35 PM by Never Talk to Strangers »

Alan Burns

« Reply #39485 on: March 21, 2020, 04:28:45 PM »

You really aren't as 'free' as you imagine, Alan, though you do have a degree of freedom. Let's face it though: your claim of 'free will' is predicated on 'God', which is why it is nonsense.
Yes, a choice will involve several factors.
The factor which you seem not to fully understand is your own conscious will.
You are consciously aware of the factors involved, but your own conscious will has the power to invoke the final choice.  Without this the result would be just an inevitable reaction, not a choice.  And no amount of consciously chosen wording can take away the fact that choices are not reactions.

The deduction that such freedom does not fit in with a materialist view can't be used to deny that it is a reality.  It provides evidence that we comprise more than material reactions.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 04:30:52 PM by Alan Burns »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #39486 on: March 21, 2020, 04:31:34 PM »
'Alan, the assertatron cannae take it!'

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #39487 on: March 21, 2020, 04:38:39 PM »
You are consciously aware of the factors involved, but your own conscious will has the power to invoke the final choice.  Without this the result would be just an inevitable reaction, not a choice.  And no amount of consciously chosen wording can take away the fact that choices are not reactions.

The deduction that such freedom does not fit in with a materialist view can't be used to deny that it is a reality.  It provides evidence that we comprise more than material reactions.

As predicted by Stranger you reply with your usual fallacy-fest, covering most of the points he noted.

Enki

« Reply #39488 on: March 21, 2020, 05:03:58 PM »

Of course choices can be reactions(or more accurately the result of reactions). The word 'choice' simply means the act of choosing between two or more possibilities. It says nothing about the mechanism that leads to the act of choosing. Please stop distorting the English language.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Stranger

« Reply #39489 on: March 21, 2020, 05:06:14 PM »
I truly am a prophet!

• Tell you that you "fail to understand the power of human will" or similar.

You are consciously aware of the factors involved, but your own conscious will has the power to invoke the final choice.

• Repeat yet again that you are "aware of all the factors" but that they do not dictate the outcome and it's you that decide.

Without this the result would be just an inevitable reaction, not a choice.

• Appeal to consequences and say that it would reduce a choice an "inevitable reaction".

And no amount of consciously chosen wording can take away the fact that choices are not reactions.

• More foot-stamping about "the reality" of our freedom.

• Assert again that your ability to compose such a post proves it to be wrong.

Also:  you are telling blatant porkies again in that last point - the contradiction you face has nothing at all to do with the "materialist view". Yet again for the hard-of-thinking:
  • If it doesn't make logical sense (which it doesn't), it's impossible anyway - regardless of any magical realm you may dream up.

• If you could make it make logical sense, then you couldn't claim it was impossible in the "materialist view" without claiming omniscience.

Anyway, you've just pointlessly and mindlessly regurgitated your utterly predictable, thought- and logic-free script for about the 100,000th time and I'm still waiting for any hint of the logic you claimed to have or enough honesty to admit you don't have any.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 05:28:16 PM by Never Talk to Strangers »

torridon

« Reply #39490 on: March 21, 2020, 05:39:42 PM »

That something could be simultaneously random and yet not random offends against logic, not materialism.  Has this really not sunk in yet or are you just pretending ?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #39491 on: March 21, 2020, 06:42:27 PM »
AB,

What "understanding" exactly do you think "it's magic innit?" provides? After all, you've already told us that you know nothing about what a supposed "soul" is, how the claim can be investigated or verified, how it operates outside of any known logical constraints etc so how on earth do you think such vapidity provides more understanding than the reason- and evidence-based model we have that goes a significant way toward solving or avoiding these problems?   

To put it another way: why do you think a jig-saw with no pieces is more likely to provide an accurate picture than a jig-saw with some pieces?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 09:52:05 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #39492 on: March 21, 2020, 06:50:49 PM »
Alan

The really odd thing about all this is that you've created, in effect, your own theology involving the divine 'gift' of free will, 'conscious awareness' and 'souls' that interact with our biology - and then, because of the logical contradictions involved in your formulation you've managed to falsify your own theology.

That makes so sense to me.

torridon

« Reply #39493 on: March 22, 2020, 07:25:45 AM »

People who go along with 'beyond human understanding' and suchlike maybe are quick to throw in the towel, abandoning the attempt to understand.  Understanding dispels mystery, and many people prefer to live with a little mystery, and so are happy to remain in some little fog of ignorance, inhabiting a magical child-like world where the near impenetrable mathematics of reality is replaced by a simpler scheme involving gods wielding special powers beyond the understanding of mere mortals.  That all looks like a cop out to me, fantasies for the hard of growing up, shortcuts for the lazy of thinking.

Alan Burns

« Reply #39494 on: March 22, 2020, 10:25:02 AM »
That something could be simultaneously random and yet not random offends against logic, not materialism.  Has this really not sunk in yet or are you just pretending ?

I never mentioned random.  There is nothing random about human will.

Alan Burns

« Reply #39495 on: March 22, 2020, 10:28:42 AM »
People who go along with 'beyond human understanding' and suchlike maybe are quick to throw in the towel, abandoning the attempt to understand.  Understanding dispels mystery, and many people prefer to live with a little mystery, and so are happy to remain in some little fog of ignorance, inhabiting a magical child-like world where the near impenetrable mathematics of reality is replaced by a simpler scheme involving gods wielding special powers beyond the understanding of mere mortals.  That all looks like a cop out to me, fantasies for the hard of growing up, shortcuts for the lazy of thinking.
Our striving to understand should not limit the reality we all perceive in our existence.  Lack of understanding can't be used to show something is impossible, such as our human freedom to choose our thoughts, words and actions.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #39496 on: March 22, 2020, 10:31:57 AM »
I never mentioned random.

I think it is more the case that you've avoided mentioning random, and so avoiding the problem it causes for your faith.

There is nothing random about human will.

In which case human will is 100% deterministic, so thanks for conceding that point (and welcome to atheism).

Alan Burns

« Reply #39497 on: March 22, 2020, 10:32:59 AM »
Alan

The really odd thing about all this is that you've created, in effect, your own theology involving the divine 'gift' of free will, 'conscious awareness' and 'souls' that interact with our biology - and then, because of the logical contradictions involved in your formulation you've managed to falsify your own theology.

That makes so sense to me.
The logical contradictions arise when you try to shoehorn reality to fit in with our limited human knowledge.
There is no logical contradiction if you accept the power of the human soul to perceive and interact with this material universe.

Alan Burns

« Reply #39498 on: March 22, 2020, 10:34:59 AM »
I think it is more the case that you've avoided mentioning random, and so avoiding the problem it causes for your faith.

In which case human will is 100% deterministic, so thanks for conceding that point (and welcome to atheism).
I have never denied that human will is deterministic.  It derives 100% from the conscious will of the human soul.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #39499 on: March 22, 2020, 10:39:45 AM »
I have never denied that human will is deterministic.  It derives 100% from the conscious will of the human soul.

Then the 'human soul' is 100% deterministic: there is no escape from the logic of this, Alan, once you've excluded the random, which you have done.

Unless you can explain something that isn't random, but neither is it 100% deterministic, then you are in 'not even wrong' territory.