Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3734184 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #39625 on: April 09, 2020, 11:24:45 AM »
You poor old thing, I feel so sorry for you. ;D

erm,er, yes....would that pity extend to a small renumeration perhaps?

Walter

« Reply #39626 on: April 09, 2020, 11:28:09 AM »
What's the matter...….isn't yer axe sharp enough Ha Ha Ha Ho Ho Ho He He He.
you are no different from a Flat Earther .

No matter what arguments you make for it , your basic premise is WRONG. Therefore I don't need to know what they are. No amount of studying the subject is going to change that .

you're welcome !   

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #39627 on: April 09, 2020, 11:38:51 AM »
Dawkins assumes there is no expertise and then passes this dismissal off as a virtue. The courtiers reply then defends this strategy...….what you are going on about I don't know.

You are defending Dawkins defence of not having to know about that which he speaks.
So when I point out your misrepresentation, you them misrepresent what I said.  You really cannot help yourself. Just saying there are there is some argument that someone does not know, as you have done in this thread to Never Talk to Strangers, is not an argument. It's an empty meaningless assertion.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #39628 on: April 09, 2020, 12:10:36 PM »
And if you think about it is the equivalent of saying God is as non existent as the clothes on a naked man.

Yes it is. You don't need to be an expert in tailoring to see that the emperor is naked. I can argue that there is no evidence for the existence of the emperor's costume without knowing anything about different types of fine cloth.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #39629 on: April 09, 2020, 12:11:55 PM »
You obviously haven't because you don't know a classic theistic Cosmological argument when you see one.

Still waiting for you to post or link to one of these amazing arguments. It looks rather like you lack confidence in getting behind any argument for fear of it being demolished.

What is it with the theists here? Alan keeps telling us he has logic but never posts any and you keep telling us about great arguments for god but never post any either.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #39630 on: April 09, 2020, 12:18:40 PM »
Yes it is. You don't need to be an expert in tailoring to see that the emperor is naked. I can argue that there is no evidence for the existence of the emperor's costume without knowing anything about different types of fine cloth.
And yet it his hard to find an atheist round here who will commit to the statement:

There IS no God.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #39631 on: April 09, 2020, 12:20:32 PM »
you are no different from a Flat Earther .

No matter what arguments you make for it , your basic premise is WRONG. Therefore I don't need to know what they are. No amount of studying the subject is going to change that .

you're welcome !
Flat earther? Don't be so soft.
Premise WRONG? positive assertion....get cracking.

Bluff northern doesn't wash wi'me .

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #39632 on: April 09, 2020, 12:26:11 PM »
Still waiting for you to post or link to one of these amazing arguments. It looks rather like you lack confidence in getting behind any argument for fear of it being demolished.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/cosmological-argument/#Obje3PrinCausSuffReasSusp

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #39633 on: April 09, 2020, 12:39:26 PM »
And yet it his hard to find an atheist round here who will commit to the statement:

There IS no God.

I'm sure you'd love that: why are you so dissatisfied with 'there are no good reasons to think there is a 'God'?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #39634 on: April 09, 2020, 12:41:16 PM »
I'm sure you'd love that: why are you so dissatisfied with 'there are no good reasons to think there is a 'God'?
Whose ''good''?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #39635 on: April 09, 2020, 12:47:20 PM »
Whose ''good''?

'Good' as in being arguments that are neither fallacious nor incoherent, which I'd say was a colloquially acceptable use of the term: arguments that stand scrutiny. Would it help you if I changed 'good' to 'sound'?

Now is you chance to advance a 'good' or 'sound' argument for 'God', Vlad.

Stranger

« Reply #39636 on: April 09, 2020, 12:50:23 PM »

There IS no God.

That'll probably be because most of us are agnostic atheists or igtheists.

You don't seem to get the burden of proof - it's up to those proposing a god to both define what they mean by it and give us some reason to take it seriously.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #39637 on: April 09, 2020, 12:50:52 PM »
'Good' as in being arguments that are neither fallacious nor incoherent, which I'd say was a colloquially acceptable use of the term: arguments that stand scrutiny. Would it help you if I changed 'good' to 'sound'?

And in order to do that he will need to provide a logically coherent definition of 'God'

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #39638 on: April 09, 2020, 12:53:35 PM »

Unfortunately, as far as scrutiny is concerned you and others have signally lacked it. Preferring Argumentum ad ridiculum.

You've talked a lot about fallacies. All I've seen from you are continual cack handed attempts to show NPF.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #39639 on: April 09, 2020, 12:53:59 PM »
And in order to do that he will need to provide a logically coherent definition of 'God'

He certainly will: I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #39640 on: April 09, 2020, 12:55:42 PM »
Unfortunately, as far as scrutiny is concerned you and others have signally lacked it. Preferring Argumentum ad ridiculum.

You've talked a lot about fallacies. All I've seen from you are continual cack handed attempts to show NPF.

Which highlights that you really don't understand fallacies: perhaps you could point out where I did this.

Stranger

« Reply #39641 on: April 09, 2020, 12:57:35 PM »
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/cosmological-argument/#Obje3PrinCausSuffReasSusp

That's a whole class of arguments and the article itself points out the problems and objections. The Kalam version has been dealt with here several times (and is laughable).

Is there one version you find compelling and are prepared to defend, that we can talk about?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #39642 on: April 09, 2020, 01:04:05 PM »

lying and evasion

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #39643 on: April 09, 2020, 01:09:09 PM »
That's a whole class of arguments and the article itself points out the problems and objections. The Kalam version has been dealt with here several times (and is laughable).

Is there one version you find compelling and are prepared to defend, that we can talk about?
Have you read it? I think not since you are still finding things 'laughable'.

Walter

« Reply #39644 on: April 09, 2020, 01:23:57 PM »
Flat earther? Don't be so soft.
Premise WRONG? positive assertion....get cracking.

Bluff northern doesn't wash wi'me .
I would have some respect for you if you simply admitted that you cant prove anything and it's all about emotion and feelings .

I for one would accept that and leave you alone but you can't do it ,can you?

Vlad remember, nobody in the history of the world has ever shown any clear evidence for what you say you believe to be true
And lying about it is not an argument .

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #39645 on: April 09, 2020, 01:27:23 PM »
I would have some respect for you if you simply admitted that you cant prove anything and it's all about emotion and feelings .

I for one would accept that and leave you alone but you can't do it ,can you?

Vlad remember, nobody in the history of the world has ever shown any clear evidence for what you say you believe to be true
And lying about it is not an argument .
There's still the matter to be settled of why something and not nothing.
And the matter of Christ's mission and message which goes beyond just an appeal for people to be Good.

Roses

« Reply #39646 on: April 09, 2020, 01:33:13 PM »
Being a good, decent person is what is important, whether you are religious or not.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Walter

« Reply #39647 on: April 09, 2020, 01:35:43 PM »
There's still the matter to be settled of why something and not nothing.
And the matter of Christ's mission and message which goes beyond just an appeal for people to be Good.
well there is 'something' so get over it . I don't know why and neither do you .

and as for 'christ's mission', all you are doing is introducing more  ideas that require verification and validation before they can be discussed .

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #39648 on: April 09, 2020, 01:49:48 PM »
Being a good, decent person is what is important, whether you are religious or not.
Important for who?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #39649 on: April 09, 2020, 01:51:07 PM »
well there is 'something' so get over it . I don't know why and neither do you .

and as for 'christ's mission', all you are doing is introducing more  ideas that require verification and validation before they can be discussed .
That's a cop out. Or has this become the discussion board which refuses to discuss...…….(yes?)