Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3734245 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #39750 on: April 23, 2020, 03:40:54 PM »
Vlad,

Just what I expected, an attempt to make historians into scientists. Straight out of the New Atheist playbook with a nice piece of Dawkinsian academic imperialism.

Your desperate need to lie about everything is driving you to even more bizarre responses. Historians practice something called “history”. History has various methods to sift the probably true from the probably not true to ensure authenticity – that’s called “historicity”. Some documented events (the Pelopponesian War for example) satisfy those tests, so they are taught in history classes; other documented events (biblical miracle stories for example) fail those tests, so they are excluded from history classes.

It’s very simple, and it has nothing whatever to do with “making historians into scientists”, a “new atheist playbook”, Richard Dawkins or “academic imperialism” (whatever that might be). You are of course free to continue to post dishonest idiocy of this kind if you wish, but what on earth do you get from it?   

PS Here's simply written primer on how historians authenticate claimed events for you to ignore or misrepresent as you surely will:

https://davidmiano.net/blog/2018/06/10/how-historians-determine-the-historicity-of-people-and-events/   
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 03:47:12 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #39751 on: April 23, 2020, 03:56:19 PM »
perhaps you can find a professional historian, as opposed to a theologian or Christian apologist, who has clearly stated that the claimed resurrection of a clinically dead Jesus can be accepted as being a historical fact.
But when anyone expert in a particular field proclaims evidence for the resurrection, they inevitably get relabelled as a Christian apologist.  Once you have discovered the Good News of God's love and message of eternal salvation it is impossible to remain aloof - you inevitably become a Christian dedicating their lives to God.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #39752 on: April 23, 2020, 04:03:26 PM »
But when anyone expert in a particular field proclaims evidence for the resurrection, they inevitably get relabelled as a Christian apologist.  Once you have discovered the Good News of God's love and message of eternal salvation it is impossible to remain aloof - you inevitably become a Christian dedicating their lives to God.
Good point.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #39753 on: April 23, 2020, 04:06:40 PM »
If you want to claim evidence for a supernatural event you need a supernatural methodology. Do you have one? 

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #39754 on: April 23, 2020, 04:07:57 PM »
The study of history is methodologically naturalistic
I'm sure there is such a thing as methodologically naturalistic history just like there is Marxist History or Art History.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 04:16:27 PM by The Chasm of Equivocation »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #39755 on: April 23, 2020, 04:10:07 PM »
If you want to claim evidence for a supernatural event you need a supernatural methodology. Do you have one?
Or you demonstrate it is not natural. Methodological naturalism is in fact science. So to relabel all history as science really does seem like Academic imperialism.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #39756 on: April 23, 2020, 04:30:26 PM »
AB,

But when anyone expert in a particular field proclaims evidence for the resurrection, they inevitably get relabelled as a Christian apologist.

Flat wrong again. The “particular field” in this case is the study of history. To be expert in the study of history you have to understand and apply its methods. When you do that with the biblical miracle stories they fail the test of historicity. To be a “Christian apologist” on the other hand you must replace the methods and tools of academic history with assertions of faith beliefs (in this case Christian ones), and just expect people to believe you.

It’s very simple. 

Once you have discovered the Good News of God's love and message of eternal salvation it is impossible to remain aloof - you inevitably become a Christian dedicating their lives to God.

Do you remember a few posts back that I explained the basics of logic to you that you (predictably) just ignored? Here’s why you shouldn’t have done – this statement is an example of another fallacy, called the fallacy of reification. You can’t claim to have “discovered” something when you have no connecting argument from the belief to knowledge. 

People who believe they have discovered this supposed good news become Christians; people who believe they have discovered the truths of Allah become Muslims; people who believe they have discovered the truths of Zeus etc become Hellenistic polytheists etc.

So what though?

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #39757 on: April 23, 2020, 04:32:48 PM »
Vlad,

Or you demonstrate it is not natural. Methodological naturalism is in fact science.

Bizarre. Presumably by the same "logic" you must think all cats are lions too?

God

Outrider

« Reply #39758 on: April 23, 2020, 04:37:18 PM »
Or you demonstrate it is not natural.

No, first you have to demonstrate that it actually is.  After that, you need to demonstrate that it's supernatural.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #39759 on: April 23, 2020, 05:04:58 PM »
Or you demonstrate it is not natural. Methodological naturalism is in fact science. So to relabel all history as science really does seem like Academic imperialism.
Drivel.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #39760 on: April 23, 2020, 05:06:00 PM »
I'm sure there is such a thing as methodologically naturalistic history just like there is Marxist History or Art History.
  idiotic drivel.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #39761 on: April 23, 2020, 05:37:46 PM »
But when anyone expert in a particular field proclaims evidence for the resurrection, they inevitably get relabelled as a Christian apologist. 

You're evading again: I asked you specifically about professional historians confirming that the alleged resurrection of Jesus can be considered as being a historical fact and you've forgotten to answer that. What non-historians think is irrelevant since they aren't suitably qualified to opine on historicity.

Once you have discovered the Good News of God's love and message of eternal salvation it is impossible to remain aloof - you inevitably become a Christian dedicating their lives to God.

Theobabble.

torridon

« Reply #39762 on: April 23, 2020, 05:42:14 PM »

I disagree.  I've read all that stuff and failed to become a christian.  Not inevitable at all.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #39763 on: April 23, 2020, 06:04:15 PM »
Once you have discovered the truth that Mohammed was spoken to by an angel, that he is the one true last prophet and the beauty of the Quran, it us impossible to remain aloof - people inevitably become a Muslim dedicating their lives to Allah.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Alan Burns

« Reply #39764 on: April 23, 2020, 06:08:31 PM »
In reply to previous posts from several different people,

There seems to be some confusion between the words "determined" and "predetermined".  They are two different words with different meanings.  The word "predetermined" would apply to a process which has a predictable outcome according to sets of rules such as those pertaining to the results of physical reactions in material elements.  The word "determined" can include that which is predetermined, but can also include processes driven by events which can't be predicted.  Such outcomes may result from processes involving one or more elements whose source is not detectable by current scientific means.  In the case of human will there is agreement that it is not random, so the question would be -  Is there any evidence of unidentifiable sources involved in an act of human will?  Those who claim there is no such evidence would, by default, have to conclude that every element in any human thought, word or action was entirely determined by the outcome of physical reactions, and therefore such activity must be considered to be predetermined by the laws of physics.

We seem to take much for granted in presuming that such consciously driven abilities as thinking, contemplating, deducing, concluding, analysing, philosophying etc. can all be achieved entirely through physically predetermined reactions in material elements.  Along with the presumption that the unfathomable complexity of the physical workings of our material brain emerged from the unguided, purposeless forces of a universe indifferent to the existence of life.  I maintain that these presumptions which we take so much for granted offer evidence of consciously intended, supernatural interaction with our physical world - driven from a source of conscious will rather than material reaction.  Some of you try to label this as “magic”.  I consider it evidence of the creative will of God – the source of all existence – or “that which exists”.  A supernatural power which God has imparted to the spiritual souls of all human beings.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #39765 on: April 23, 2020, 06:25:04 PM »
In reply to previous posts from several different people,

There seems....
well, it's mainly irrelevant to my question about if you have a supernatural methodology. And where it is relevant isn't a methodology but a series of fallacies. Complete waste of your time writing  it, and my time reading it.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #39766 on: April 23, 2020, 06:36:09 PM »
There seems to be some confusion between the words "determined" and "predetermined".

Only in your mind, Alan. Everybody else seems perfectly clear about what they mean.

They are two different words with different meanings.  The word "predetermined" would apply to a process which has a predictable outcome according to sets of rules such as those pertaining to the results of physical reactions in material elements.  The word "determined" can include that which is predetermined, but can also include processes driven by events which can't be predicted.  Such outcomes may result from processes involving one or more elements whose source is not detectable by current scientific means.

Whether or not science can detect the source of something is completely irrelevant. The results of certain processes are often too complex to predict in practice anyway - even if they are obviously the result "physical reactions in material elements" - those exhibiting chaotic behaviour, for example.

In the case of human will there is agreement that it is not random, so the question would be -  Is there any evidence of unidentifiable sources involved in an act of human will?  Those who claim there is no such evidence would, by default, have to conclude that every element in any human thought, word or action was entirely determined by the outcome of physical reactions, and therefore such activity must be considered to be predetermined by the laws of physics.

Once again demonstrating that you are confused about the meaning of "predetermined" - it isn't a synonym for deterministic. It means established or decided in advance.

All of this just ignores the central point that, whether or not some element is "not detectable by current scientific means", the whole process (physical or non-physical) must either be a deterministic system or not - and if not, then it involves randomness.

We seem to take much for granted in presuming that such consciously driven abilities as thinking, contemplating, deducing, concluding, analysing, philosophying etc. can all be achieved entirely through physically predetermined reactions in material elements.  Along with the presumption that the unfathomable complexity of the physical workings of our material brain emerged from the unguided, purposeless forces of a universe indifferent to the existence of life.

That is what the evidence tells us, Alan, it isn't a presumption. So far you have offered bugger all in the way of any evidence or reasoning to think differently. Quite the reverse with your endless repetition, evasion, baseless assertions, contradictions, and extensive collection of logical fallacies.

I maintain...

Yes, we all know your blind faith position. Once again, you've totally ignored the glaring logical contradictions you face and are once again trying to redefine words - as if that makes any difference at all.

Try actually thinking about it for once in your life.

Now, where is the logic you said you had or have you yet found the honesty to admit you have none?
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #39767 on: April 23, 2020, 07:18:44 PM »
AB,

There seems to be some confusion between the words "determined" and "predetermined".

Yes there is – your own. Let’s see if you’ve finally managed to unravel it though shall we… 

They are two different words with different meanings.  The word "predetermined" would apply to a process which has a predictable outcome according to sets of rules such as those pertaining to the results of physical reactions in material elements.

No, that’s “determined” – or, more grammatically, “deterministic”: event A causes event B, event B causes event C etc.

The word "determined" can include that which is predetermined, but can also include processes driven by events which can't be predicted.

Nope. “Predetermined” in the sense you intend it implies some “thing” to decide in advance what an outcome will be. My sipping a very nice cocktail in Greece last year was “predetermined” by my decision earlier in the year to have a Greek holiday – it was a choice I made. (And no, please don’t bother with you usual trope of “ah, but how could it be a choice if….” etc. You know perfectly well that we’re talking about different levels of abstraction here.)   

Such outcomes may result from processes involving one or more elements whose source is not detectable by current scientific means.

They may do, yes. Just as many phenomena that were previously not “detectable by current scientific means” now are.

In the case of human will there is agreement that it is not random, so the question would be -  Is there any evidence of unidentifiable sources involved in an act of human will?

If there’s evidence then, broadly, they’re not unidentifiable - the evidence would identify them as a generalised phenomenon. The evidence we do have points heavily toward a deterministic paradigm – that’s not to say though that there’s not a great deal more to find out about it.

Those who claim there is no such evidence would, by default, have to conclude that every element in any human thought, word or action was entirely determined by the outcome of physical reactions, and therefore such activity must be considered to be predetermined by the laws of physics.

“Determined”, and they wouldn’t “have” to do that necessarily but absent any cogent reason to think otherwise, broadly yes. 

We seem to take much for granted in presuming that such consciously driven abilities as thinking, contemplating, deducing, concluding, analysing, philosophying etc. can all be achieved entirely through physically predetermined reactions in material elements.  Along with the presumption that the unfathomable complexity of the physical workings of our material brain emerged from the unguided, purposeless forces of a universe indifferent to the existence of life.

Your personal incredulity is letting you down again. And besides, no-one “presumes” that in the sense you imply of “guesses”. Rather rational people proceed on the basis that the most coherent and verifiably robust model we have for the way the universe works is to be preferred over magical thinking, which would require many more assumptions – Occam’s razor and all that. 

I maintain that these presumptions which we take so much for granted offer evidence of consciously intended, supernatural interaction with our physical world - driven from a source of conscious will rather than material reaction.  Some of you try to label this as “magic”.

Well, I did say rational people. What you “maintain” without reason or evidence is epistemically no more valid than what I maintain about leprechauns on the same unqualified basis. Both claims are, effectively, magic.

I consider it evidence of the creative will of God – the source of all existence – or “that which exists”.  A supernatural power which God has imparted to the spiritual souls of all human beings.

And I consider it the idle noodlings of Colin, the grand Poo-bah of the Leprechaun Kingdom.

Why in your opinion should anyone else taking either of our speculations seriously?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 09:14:44 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #39768 on: April 23, 2020, 10:46:13 PM »

Try actually thinking about it for once in your life.

Now, where is the logic you said you had or have you yet found the honesty to admit you have none?

And I would need the freedom to choose to think about it.
Just as you used your freedom to choose to ask.
And bear in mind the freedom of thought you needed to postulate the logic you keep referring to.

A freedom which this "logic" denies.
A freedom which leads me to confidently proclaim that I could never accede to what you want me to do.

Why do you deny the freedom which God gave you to choose your own destiny?

torridon

« Reply #39769 on: April 24, 2020, 07:16:22 AM »
And bear in mind the freedom of thought you needed to postulate the logic you keep referring to.

I have the freedom to respond to this post because no one and no thing is stopping me.  The freedom is circumstantial, it is not evidence of some supernatural power.

The sorts of freedom that logic denies is are logically incoherent ones, viz, a freedom from determinism which is not random, a freedom to choose on a basis that is free of any basis, a freedom from oneself, a freedom from logic.

It is not so much that freedom per se is denied, but rather it is your particular framing of what freedom means that is irrational, confused, misplaced. We will always deny nonsense.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 07:23:56 AM by torridon »

torridon

« Reply #39770 on: April 24, 2020, 07:21:51 AM »

We seem to take much for granted in presuming that such consciously driven abilities as thinking, contemplating, deducing, concluding, analysing, philosophying etc. can all be achieved entirely through physically predetermined reactions in material elements.  Along with the presumption that the unfathomable complexity of the physical workings of our material brain emerged from the unguided, purposeless forces of a universe indifferent to the existence of life.  I maintain that these presumptions which we take so much for granted offer evidence of consciously intended, supernatural interaction with our physical world - driven from a source of conscious will rather than material reaction.  Some of you try to label this as “magic”.  I consider it evidence of the creative will of God – the source of all existence – or “that which exists”.  A supernatural power which God has imparted to the spiritual souls of all human beings.

This is merely magical thinking born of incredulity; and not only is it magical thinking, also it is circular thinking - you cannot understand how conscious intentions could arise from first principles, so you fall back into imagining that conscious intentions must therefore be a consequential outcome of conscious intention.  Can you not see the flaw in that reasoning ?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:03:37 AM by torridon »

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #39771 on: April 24, 2020, 07:46:33 AM »

Which brings us to another question you continue to totally ignore. What is it about that sort of "freedom" that requires the self-contradictory idea that we could have done differently without any randomness?

This is a barefaced lie. The logic I have presented simply doesn't deny the freedom necessary to think and choose - and this has been pointed out to you multiple times by several different people.

Where is the logic that you said you had? Why can't you find the basic honesty to admit you can't produce any?
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Outrider

« Reply #39772 on: April 24, 2020, 09:00:56 AM »
There seems to be some confusion between the words "determined" and "predetermined".  They are two different words with different meanings.

Predetermined is a hyponym of (this sense of) determined - in this instance, the additional implication is that if something is predetermined then it's been the result of a conscious decision by someone, rather than the inevitable consequence of blind, natural forces.

The word "predetermined" would apply to a process which has a predictable outcome according to sets of rules such as those pertaining to the results of physical reactions in material elements.

That's what the word 'determined' means.

The word "determined" can include that which is predetermined, but can also include processes driven by events which can't be predicted.

No, that's variously 'complex' or 'chaotic' depending on the nomenclature of the particular field in which you're discussing it.

In the case of human will there is agreement that it is not random, so the question would be -  Is there any evidence of unidentifiable sources involved in an act of human will?  Those who claim there is no such evidence would, by default, have to conclude that every element in any human thought, word or action was entirely determined by the outcome of physical reactions, and therefore such activity must be considered to be predetermined by the laws of physics.

So all you need to do is show the element in human conscious activity which is not entirely the result of previous discernible activity.  Show things happening which cannot be put down to electro-chemical responses within neurons under the influence of hormonal activity and then go collect your Nobels.

These aren't 'presumptions' - these are the (technically provisional) conclusions of decades of scientific enquiry.  If you want to contradict them you need to come up with something more than 'what if', you need evidence, you need reason, you need something on which hang the rejection of millions of hours of investigation by the best and brightest of humanity in this field that amounts to more than 'I don't like that conclusion'.

I maintain that these presumptions which we take so much for granted offer evidence of consciously intended, supernatural interaction with our physical world - driven from a source of conscious will rather than material reaction.

You can maintain that, but without any justification we can just as easily maintain that you've got nothing and just ignore your fairy-tale explanation.

Some of you try to label this as “magic”.  I consider it evidence of the creative will of God – the source of all existence – or “that which exists”.  A supernatural power which God has imparted to the spiritual souls of all human beings.

The important mistake, here, is you choosing to view this as 'evidence' of anything - it's not evidence, you've got nothing more than your own reluctance to look past indoctrination and examine the real world around you.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #39773 on: April 24, 2020, 11:24:46 AM »
AB,

Why do you deny the freedom which God gave you to choose your own destiny?

He doesn’t. What he “denies” is your unqualified, incoherent, contradictory, evidence-free assertion about that.

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #39774 on: April 24, 2020, 12:02:24 PM »
AB,

He doesn’t. What he “denies” is your unqualified, incoherent, contradictory, evidence-free assertion about that.
An assertion  which would be impossible for me to make without the power being denied.