Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3737585 times)

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #40050 on: May 07, 2020, 01:01:01 PM »
Just look at the faces of those taking part - would you not wish to discover the inner peace and joy they all share?

The emotional response of some people to a belief says nothing of its veracity, or that it would create the same reaction in other people. Other people find peace and joy in other things. Neither does it say anything about whether the belief is dying out or not.  You really are all over the place.

As for your question, I wouldn't want anything that made me as irrational and intellectually dishonest as you have shown yourself to be here, no matter how much peace and joy it might bring...
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #40051 on: May 07, 2020, 01:09:58 PM »
Another example of your inability to think logically. A bunch of people singing does nothing to counter the claim that religion is dying. Who was making this claim anyway?

Is this just a distraction from the fact that you have no logical argument to offer?
It is a blessing from Christian churches intended for the whole United Kingdom, not just fellow believers.
I felt it was worth sharing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUtll3mNj5U
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:12:06 PM by Alan Burns »
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #40052 on: May 07, 2020, 01:16:54 PM »
AB,

Just look at the faces of those taking part –

What do you think “the faces of those taking part” tells you about either:

1. Whether or not religiosity is “dying”; or

2. Whether or not there’s any truth to the faith claims being made?

…would you not wish to discover the inner peace and joy they all share?

At the price it seems to have cost you of suspending disbelief for no good reason and the dishonesty you display when that's explained to you? No.   

Many who have watched it have confessed that it brought them tears of joy!

Good for them. Doubtless the same is true of countless other faiths you’d find to be as daft as thinking people find yours to be. So what though?

Or do you wish to dismiss it all with a "Bah humbug!"

No, with clear, coherent and cogent arguments (that you either misrepresent or run away from).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:51:39 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #40053 on: May 07, 2020, 01:17:35 PM »
AB,

It is a blessing from Christian churches intended for the whole United Kingdom, not just fellow believers.

Why?

God

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #40054 on: May 07, 2020, 01:21:40 PM »

Why would you think that?

Surely this is aimed at other Christians, unless you guys have delusions of grandeur that the rest of us are eager to hear what Christians are singing about.

torridon

« Reply #40055 on: May 07, 2020, 01:29:44 PM »
Just look at the faces of those taking part - would you not wish to discover the inner peace and joy they all share?

Some of us are more interested in whether the beliefs are true or not.  Just because it makes you happy is not an indicator that it is correct and as a rule of thumb, it suggests the opposite - beliefs that are attractive are quite often wrong and have gained traction in human minds by virtue of their appeal.  This is a core lesson from the history of science - to find truth you have to be emotionally distant, dispassionate.  When you see people getting emotionally involved in their beliefs, they have already lost the plot, thrown the towel in, traded in their integrity and honesty for a sugar rush of oxytocin. This is abundantly evident from all your spiel on free will, it is an idea that is attractive to you and that blinds you to the fact that it is logically incoherent nonsense, aka 'wrong'.  But to get to see that, you first have to disentangle yourself from its emotional pull.

Outrider

« Reply #40056 on: May 07, 2020, 01:40:13 PM »

Looks like the peace and inner joy I see across a Warhammer table when you're getting into round 5, four objectives available and you're within two victory points... inner peace and joy, whilst fine goals, are no indicator of any universal truth.  As Torridon puts it, of course, some of us are less concerned with whether things are true or not as with their every day impact on the rest of us - so long as we keep vigilant and make sure the religion stays in people's private lives then we'll all be fine.

To be fair, a good episode of 'You've Been Framed' or 'Ultimate Fails' on YouTube can do that for me if I'm in the right mood...

More of a 'meh?' really.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #40057 on: May 07, 2020, 01:54:07 PM »

So why the comment about "those who think religion is dying"?
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

SusanDoris

« Reply #40058 on: May 07, 2020, 02:03:16 PM »
Sunshine and blue sky; very little breeze; just right for going out for 52 minutes earlier on doing 21 laps of my 170-step walk up andown the Close. While counting the laps on my fingers, I was hearing in my mind some of the various tap sequence music which fitted my walking pace.  Only needed a few pauses to catch my breath. Now that brought joy to me. I shall, I hope have an extra few months or even a year or more of living because I am able to exercise and keep fit.

I am sad for those who spend so much of their time believing in some God/god or other.

Yes, it would be superb if all the wonderful, powerful tunes of many religious songs were given non-religious words that resounded, and maybe that will happen one day, but in the meantime to spend time watching videos, especially any with candyfloss coated, cloying sweetness to them? No thank you.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

ippy

« Reply #40059 on: May 07, 2020, 05:01:51 PM »
Sunshine and blue sky; very little breeze; just right for going out for 52 minutes earlier on doing 21 laps of my 170-step walk up andown the Close. While counting the laps on my fingers, I was hearing in my mind some of the various tap sequence music which fitted my walking pace.  Only needed a few pauses to catch my breath. Now that brought joy to me. I shall, I hope have an extra few months or even a year or more of living because I am able to exercise and keep fit.

I am sad for those who spend so much of their time believing in some God/god or other.

Yes, it would be superb if all the wonderful, powerful tunes of many religious songs were given non-religious words that resounded, and maybe that will happen one day, but in the meantime to spend time watching videos, especially any with candyfloss coated, cloying sweetness to them? No thank you.

Just wondering, I'm assuming you're a pavement artist With the under the blue sky stuff you talk about Susan, have you mastered the spinning around on your back bit yet?

I can't listen to Alan's link, the very thought of it makes me deeply cringe up inside and that's just the thought of it.

We all say and do some daft things from time to time, something I wish I didn't, but you and I are definitely in a minor league compared to Alan's last hallelujah episode/moment. 

Regards, ippy

SusanDoris

« Reply #40060 on: May 07, 2020, 05:51:59 PM »
Just wondering, I'm assuming you're a pavement artist With the under the blue sky stuff you talk about Susan, have you mastered the spinning around on your back bit yet?

I can't listen to Alan's link, the very thought of it makes me deeply cringe up inside and that's just the thought of it.

We all say and do some daft things from time to time, something I wish I didn't, but you and I are definitely in a minor league compared to Alan's last hallelujah episode/moment. 

Regards, ippy
Well, apart from the fact that I walk down the centre of the Close because there is nothing for me to trip over on the surface, it is difficult enough to stay upright in the dance studio when tap dancing (because of increased difficulty in balancing because of the blindness), no, I don't think I'l try doing anyspinning upright, and certainly not on the ground! :)
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #40061 on: May 07, 2020, 06:50:51 PM »
AB,

Just a thought, but rather than "blessing" people who haven't asked for it maybe they'd be better advised asking their god why "He" thought it was a good idea to kill off 50,000-odd of their fellow citizens by drowning in their own lung fluids? 

God

Enki

« Reply #40062 on: May 07, 2020, 08:32:31 PM »

That's very kind of you. Alan, but there is no need in my case. I cycled past a wood today with a carpet of wild garlic,  interspersed with bluebells,  reflecting the dappled light. That, by itself, gave me an inner peace, rather more, I think, than your youtube video which holds little meaning for me. I have been profoundly lucky enough to have been the husband of a steadfast, loyal and caring woman who, despite the problems that life has thrown at us, has always been by my side. That gives me joy, rather more than being blessed, I suggest, by a group of Christian singers, no matter how heartfelt and earnest their outpourings may be.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #40063 on: May 07, 2020, 08:46:10 PM »
Enki,

That's very kind of you. Alan, but there is no need in my case. I cycled past a wood today with a carpet of wild garlic,  interspersed with bluebells,  reflecting the dappled light. That, by itself, gave me an inner peace, rather more, I think, than your youtube video which holds little meaning for me. I have been profoundly lucky enough to have been the husband of a steadfast, loyal and caring woman who, despite the problems that life has thrown at us, has always been by my side. That gives me joy, rather more than being blessed, I suggest, by a group of Christian singers, no matter how heartfelt and earnest their outpourings may be.

Yes, but to be fair the singers really, really screw up their faces with the sincerity of it all so, you know, they must mean it right? OK, so it’s all utterly presumptuous bollocks but hey – the feeling!   

God

Enki

« Reply #40064 on: May 07, 2020, 09:01:48 PM »
 ;) ;D
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Roses

« Reply #40065 on: May 08, 2020, 08:45:44 AM »
If god exists, and the Biblical accounts of its actions are factual, it is responsible for everything that goes wrong, it doesn't bother to put it right.  >:(
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Alan Burns

« Reply #40066 on: May 08, 2020, 08:48:12 AM »
Enki,

Yes, but to be fair the singers really, really screw up their faces with the sincerity of it all so, you know, they must mean it right? OK, so it’s all utterly presumptuous bollocks but hey – the feeling!
I did not see anyone screwing up their face - just lots of smiles.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Alan Burns

« Reply #40067 on: May 08, 2020, 09:01:11 AM »
AB,

Just a thought, but rather than "blessing" people who haven't asked for it maybe they'd be better advised asking their god why "He" thought it was a good idea to kill off 50,000-odd of their fellow citizens by drowning in their own lung fluids?
It is a fact that every human being on this planet will experience suffering at some time in their lives and eventually die.

My own inner peace comes from the knowledge of God's promise to give me the strength to endure whatever comes in this life if I remain faithful, knowing that Jesus Himself endured suffering and death in order to open up the path to eternal life.

So when suffering does come, there is a choice:
We can endure it on our own.
Or we can turn to God in faith to help us through it. 
And as an added bonus there is the offer of eternal joy in heaven when our earthly body dies.
The choice is yours.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 11:45:42 AM by Alan Burns »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #40068 on: May 08, 2020, 09:32:13 AM »
I've no issue with the singing, but have never like the sentiment that a 'blessing' is effectively 'imposed' on people regardless of their wishes. It should be a choice whether to receive a blessing.

But that's not my main point. Look at the production values of this video, check out the equipment most of the singers are using - this is professional equipment - most people simply don't have those kinds of microphones knocking about in their lock-down houses. Look at the quality of the images. The equivalent lock-down choir initiatives I've been involved in involve people singing into their phones, which matching shaky video.

So this has been produced 'professionally' (and don't even begin to ask the questions about how that was achieved in lock-down) and will have taken countless hours to get right for the performers, the producer, the engineers etc. So even for those people who like the idea of being blessed, if you want to help the country right now is the best approach to put in huge amounts of time producing a professional video, or to use that time to go shopping for neighbours, to communicate directly with lonely people, to volunteer in one of the many schemes, to collect for a food bank, to sort an on-line order for a group of people in your street etc, etc, And before someone says that they might be doing that too - you cannot use the same hours of your time twice.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 10:04:15 AM by ProfessorDavey »

Enki

« Reply #40069 on: May 08, 2020, 10:34:46 AM »
It is a fact that every human being on this planet will experience suffering at some time in their lives and eventually die.
And water's wet.

My own inner peace comes from the knowledge of God's promise
Well I would substitute the word 'hope' for 'knowledge'

to give me the strength to endure whatever comes in this life if I remain faithful,
It seems you are one of those who need to be 'faithful' to endure lifes vicissitudes. Just remember though that there are untold numbers of people who find the strength to endure whatever life throws at them without the slightest thought of being 'faithful'.

knowing that Jesus Himself endured suffering and death in order to open up the path to eternal life.
Even if that were true it is worth noting that many people have endured similar or even more excruciating suffering and some of those haven't had a belief in 'eternal life' at all.

We can endure it on our own
Or we can turn to God in faith to help us through it.  And as an added bonus there is the offer of eternal joy in heaven when our earthly body dies.
The choice is yours.
Or we can welcome and rely upon the support and care of our loved ones, as well as our own fortitude, to help us through those difficult times.

Personally, even if I believed in your God, why I should give deferential respect to and reliance upon a being that takes no ultimate responsibility for its creation beats me. Rather than seek forgiveness from such a being, I would hope that it would mend its ways and show true benevolence towards its creation. Then, I might well start to show it respect by forgiving it the unhappiness that it has caused in the world.   
Steven Wright

Alan Burns

« Reply #40070 on: May 08, 2020, 10:36:36 AM »
I've no issue with the singing, but have never like the sentiment that a 'blessing' is effectively 'imposed' on people regardless of their wishes. It should be a choice whether to receive a blessing.

But that's not my main point. Look at the production values of this video, check out the equipment most of the singers are using - this is professional equipment - most people simply don't have those kinds of microphones knocking about in their lock-down houses. Look at the quality of the images. The equivalent lock-down choir initiatives I've been involved in involve people singing into their phones, which matching shaky video.

So this has been produced 'professionally' (and don't even begin to ask the questions about how that was achieved in lock-down) and will have taken countless hours to get right for the performers, the producer, the engineers etc. So even for those people who like the idea of being blessed, if you want to help the country right now is the best approach to put in huge amounts of time producing a professional video, or to use that time to go shopping for neighbours, to communicate directly with lonely people, to volunteer in one of the many schemes, to collect for a food bank, to sort an on-line order for a group of people in your street etc, etc, And before someone says that they might be doing that too - you cannot use the same hours of your time twice.
I wish I had the talents, expertise, contacts and equipment to make such a professional quality production which has sent an inspired message of hope in God's love to millions who have viewed it.  As I do not possess these qualities, I have used what I have to do shopping for elderly neighbours and give witness to the most precious gift of Christian faith in whatever way I can.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #40071 on: May 08, 2020, 10:39:15 AM »
Given that most of the soloist are using professional equipment, and are probably at least semi-pro, I suspect what we are seeing is their 'performance' face. No doubt hoping that someone in the music industry watching the video notices them and offers them their next gig. Reminds me a bit of all those pop-stars on 'Do they know it's Christmas' vying with each other to produce the best 'performance' on their one line in the song.

Singing is fantastic and has demonstrable beneficial effects on the singers - but you don't need to be religious to experience that.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #40072 on: May 08, 2020, 10:51:10 AM »
I wish I had the talents, expertise, contacts and equipment to make such a professional quality production which has sent an inspired message of hope in God's love to millions who have viewed it.
I don't have those talents, but am a decent singer and have been involved in some of the many similar sing from home initiatives, including this one (released just last night).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HINNVwddDJU&feature=youtu.be

I'm sure this brings just as much joy to those involved as your video, but we don't have the pomposity to agrandise it to something 'inspired' and nationally important as you do - strange how many christians have no sense of proportion.

And as I love that song so much my little singing group are doing our own lock-down version, with just 9 singers - a bit of fun and a bit of light in our lives, seeing as we usually meet once a month to sing, but can't at the moment. But again I don't pretend this is something 'important' beyond the few of us doing it.

As I do not possess these qualities, I have used what I have to do shopping for elderly neighbours and give witness to the most precious gift of Christian faith in whatever way I can.
Good for you. So what - so are millions of people, including me. In the lock down I've shopped for vulnerable people, delivered emergency food parcels, helped with food bank needs, helped organise coordinated on-line deliveries for our street etc etc. I don't need christian faith to do this and I don't feel the need to imply that I do it because of my broadly humanist views, all I need is to recognise that it needs doing. Why is it that some christians seem unable to recognise need for its own sake and only as a means of bigging up your religion.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #40073 on: May 08, 2020, 11:16:03 AM »
AB,

I did not see anyone screwing up their face - just lots of smiles.

Then you weren’t looking. Before the engorging sense of nausea became too much and I had to turn if off, the ones I saw were doing the “look at me, I’m all intense and deep and stuff so I’ll pull this face” schtick. 

Way to miss the point. Why would a god of the omnis cause 50,000-odd people in this country alone to die by drowning in the fluid in their lungs when, presumably, "He” could have just taken out the bat that started it all to begin with?

My own inner peace comes from the knowledge of God's promise to give me the strength to endure whatever comes in this life if I remain faithful, knowing that Jesus Himself endured suffering and death in order to open up the path to eternal life.

Yet so far you’ve given no reason for anyone to think that your supposed “knowledge” isn’t just a comforting faith belief with no good reasons to justify it. Still, if that’s what you want to think provided you don’t pollute the minds of young people especially with the same irrationality then knock yourself out.

We can endure it on our own.
Or we can turn to God in faith to help us through it.  And as an added bonus there is the offer of eternal joy in heaven when our earthly body dies.
The choice is yours.

No it isn’t, and nor is it yours either. For there to be a choice you need to establish first that the available options are real. So far though your mix of pompous and presumptuous faith claims and utterly hopeless reasoning to justify them has failed entirely to justify option 2.     
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 12:28:53 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

ippy

« Reply #40074 on: May 09, 2020, 11:18:59 AM »
I wish I had the talents, expertise, contacts and equipment to make such a professional quality production which has sent an inspired message of hope in God's love to millions who have viewed it.  As I do not possess these qualities, I have used what I have to do shopping for elderly neighbours and give witness to the most precious gift of Christian faith in whatever way I can.

Both sad and laughable at the same time Alan.

Commiserations.