Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3733641 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #40975 on: July 13, 2020, 03:51:45 PM »
I can assure you, Susan, that I get no personal satisfaction from posting on this thread.  What sustains me is the knowledge that I am doing God's will by witnessing to the truth which leads to our salvation.  I find the fact that many try to deny this truth in spite of the abundant evidence shown by their own abilities quite upsetting.
And off you go implying all those who disagree with you are liars, yet again.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #40976 on: July 13, 2020, 04:20:03 PM »
What sustains me is the knowledge that I am doing God's will by witnessing to the truth which leads to our salvation.  I find the fact that many try to deny this truth in spite of the abundant evidence shown by their own abilities quite upsetting.

Where is this "abundant evidence"? Why haven't you posted even a hint of it?

Perhaps you should ask your god to actually give you the first hint of a morsel of a shred of a scintilla of actual evidence or reasoning to support your absurd and self-contradictory claims, instead of just endlessly repeating baseless assertions, blind faith, total gibberish, and many basic mistakes in reasoning (fallacies). At the moment you are just making you and your faith look dishonest, stupid, and stubbornly ignorant.

If your god is too busy thinking up the next natural disaster or nasty disease to visit on humanity, perhaps you could do yourself some favours and actually attempt to learn something about logic and think about and properly respond to the replies you are getting, instead of endlessly regurgitating the same, tired old script.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #40977 on: July 13, 2020, 04:34:04 PM »
And off you go implying all those who disagree with you are liars, yet again.
There are powers of evil which blind people to the truth. I fully appreciate that the people convinced by this deception are not liars, but victims who need help.  So I continue to use my God given freedom to witness to the truth.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 04:36:47 PM by Alan Burns »
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Roses

« Reply #40978 on: July 13, 2020, 04:41:42 PM »
There are powers of evil which blind people to the truth. I fully appreciate that the people convinced by this deception are not liars, but victims who need help.  So I continue to use my God given freedom to witness to the truth.

Have you ever thought it is you who is blinded by an illusion you regard as the 'truth'?
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

torridon

« Reply #40979 on: July 13, 2020, 04:43:13 PM »

Not helping your case adding yet more self-contradictory nonsense into the mix.  That God doesn't eliminate these powers of evil means either that he cannot, or he will not, neither of which is consistent with a good God deserving of worship.  So I guess that leaves you thinking you are helping out an incompetent god or otherwise you are trying to frustrate his evil intentions.  Makes just about as much sense as conscious choice being its own cause  :o

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #40980 on: July 13, 2020, 04:44:20 PM »
Then learn to write. Using the word 'deny' clearly implies people are lying.

Apart from that you have just torpedoed any point of discussion here because you are saying that no discussion can show anyone anything. Everyone by your position, including you, just have their mind changed because of some ongoing game game between some twattish superbeings.

Ironically your position rules out any type of will.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 04:48:35 PM by Nearly Sane »

Alan Burns

« Reply #40981 on: July 13, 2020, 04:44:26 PM »
Have you ever thought it is you who is blinded by an illusion you regard as the 'truth'?
Once you have discovered God's love, you will know it is no illusion.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Roses

« Reply #40982 on: July 13, 2020, 04:46:09 PM »

Why didn't that character reveal its existence when I was a Christian as a child?

Outrider

« Reply #40983 on: July 13, 2020, 04:47:41 PM »

How do you differentiate such people from, say, schizophrenics?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #40984 on: July 13, 2020, 04:49:44 PM »
What about those people who say they believed  and knew as you do who then lost their faith?

Stranger

« Reply #40985 on: July 13, 2020, 04:54:44 PM »
What about those people who say they believed  and knew as you do who then lost their faith?

Ah, that one's easy, they were never truly Scotsman Christians.

torridon

« Reply #40986 on: July 13, 2020, 04:57:38 PM »

But if it was an illusion, you wouldn't know, would you ?  Otherwise it wouldn't be an illusion.

Alan Burns

« Reply #40987 on: July 13, 2020, 05:13:19 PM »

The evidence is you, Stranger.
Can you not see the reality that you are more, much more, than could ever be defined or conceived by the purposeless, unguided forces of nature alone?

Stranger

« Reply #40988 on: July 13, 2020, 05:19:10 PM »

This is just a silly, utterly baseless assertion. I am not evidence of your impossible, self-contradictory, unimaginable version of 'freedom', let alone your favourite (also self-contradictory) species of deity.

Can you not see the reality that you are more, much more, than could ever be defined or conceived by the purposeless, unguided forces of nature alone?

No - where is the actual evidence and/or reasoning?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #40989 on: July 13, 2020, 05:40:45 PM »

This is just fallacious theobollocks: no more, no less.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #40990 on: July 13, 2020, 08:19:28 PM »
There are powers of evil which blind people to the truth.
What are these powers?
How exactly do they blind people to the truth?

We need to know.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #40991 on: July 13, 2020, 08:23:08 PM »
This is just fallacious theobollocks: no more, no less.
Fallacious Theobollocks? Didn't he used to teach at Hogwarts?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #40992 on: July 13, 2020, 08:26:22 PM »
Fallacious Theobollocks? Didn't he used to teach at Hogwarts?
No, rejected for being too unreal a character

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #40993 on: July 13, 2020, 08:39:33 PM »
No, rejected for being too unreal a character
Too late, the feeling had a shorter half life than element 118.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #40994 on: July 13, 2020, 09:12:23 PM »
Too late, the feeling had a shorter half life than element 118.
Sorry, but the entire construction of this is too much of an in joke and even with that doesn't work. It's like a badly programmed bot joke but less funny

BeRational

« Reply #40995 on: July 13, 2020, 11:43:28 PM »
It is not that I do not like it - I see it as a logical impossibility.
How can the result of predetermined chains of cause and effect form an opinion of themselves?
The fact that I have the freedom to contemplate reality shows that my thoughts can't be predetermined by the past.  They are determined by my conscious awareness which exists and acts in the present.  I am aware of the past, but this awareness exists in the present.  I am also aware of reasons behind my thoughts - and these reasons exist within my present state of conscious awareness.  My conscious awareness brings all this information together in the present so that it can be consciously manipulated rather than reacted to.

Then demonstrate that it is impossible rather than just assert it.
If you dont then you have committed a logical fallacy.  Argument from incredulity
I see gullible people, everywhere!

SusanDoris

« Reply #40996 on: July 14, 2020, 12:27:31 AM »

Perhaps you should ask your god to actually give you the first hint of a morsel of a shred of a scintilla of actual evidence or reasoning to support your absurd and self-contradictory claims, instead of just endlessly repeating baseless assertions, blind faith, total gibberish, and many basic mistakes in reasoning (fallacies). At the moment you are just making you and your faith look dishonest, stupid, and stubbornly ignorant.

If your god is too busy thinking up the next natural disaster or nasty disease to visit on humanity, perhaps you could do yourself some favours and actually attempt to learn something about logic and think about and properly respond to the replies you are getting, instead of endlessly regurgitating the same, tired old script.
Nice, neat summing up of all AB's cringe-making,saccharine posts. However, it would appear that it is not quite forceful enough, since he has continued to post even more smug etc stuff
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Roses

« Reply #40997 on: July 14, 2020, 08:29:42 AM »
Belief can be very convincing even if there is no evidence to back it up. About 20 years ago I posted on a religious forum where a poster claimed to be Jesus on round two. He appeared to be very upset no one took him seriously, including the Christians. I don't think the poor guy was a WUM, he genuinely believed himself to be Jesus.

ekim

« Reply #40998 on: July 14, 2020, 08:53:49 AM »
I don't think the poor guy was a WUM, he genuinely believed himself to be Jesus.
Perhaps he was the one who plays for Manchester City.

Roses

« Reply #40999 on: July 14, 2020, 08:54:58 AM »
Perhaps he was the one who plays for Manchester City.

What are you talking about?