Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3735388 times)

Roses

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #41125 on: July 21, 2020, 05:13:49 PM »
Yes, animal brains are seen to react in programmed, instinctive ways.  ::)

Humans are animals too.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #41126 on: July 21, 2020, 05:15:07 PM »
There are powers of evil which blind people to the truth.
What are these powers?
How exactly do they blind people to the truth?

Are you assisting these evil powers but not warning people about the detail in order that they might resist them?

Why are you so reticent?
It's all very suspicious.
...very suspicious!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #41127 on: July 21, 2020, 05:15:21 PM »

You keep saying this, but you keep failing to demonstrate it.  It would appear that you are a series of physical reactions which are constrained to be unable to accept that you might just be a complex series of physical reactions.

And how would a complex series of reactions actually know they are a complex series of reactions.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #41128 on: July 21, 2020, 05:20:35 PM »
And how would a complex series of reactions actually know they are a complex series of reactions.
...by using the emergent property of their brain, called conciousness!

Anyway, ....back to powers of evil......any clues yet?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

torridon

« Reply #41129 on: July 21, 2020, 05:22:21 PM »
Yes, animal brains are seen to react in programmed, instinctive ways.  ::)

Which does not detract from the fact that they know things, things which are important to them in their world.

torridon

« Reply #41130 on: July 21, 2020, 05:26:28 PM »

It's not necessary that they would.  I am looking at the laptop screen now.  It is the laptop screen that I have knowledge of, not the millions of electrochemical signals from which that knowledge emerges. Likewise when a penguin recognises its chick, the knowledge is what emerges from brain function, not the brain function itself.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #41131 on: July 21, 2020, 06:13:12 PM »

Don't be silly: reactions don't know anything, Alan. You need brains to process information (such as from reactions) before it can be considered as knowledge.

Alan Burns

« Reply #41132 on: July 21, 2020, 07:56:15 PM »
Which does not detract from the fact that they know things, things which are important to them in their world.
Conscious knowledge is not an ingredient of programmed reactions.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Alan Burns

« Reply #41133 on: July 21, 2020, 07:59:28 PM »
Don't be silly: reactions don't know anything, Alan. You need brains to process information (such as from reactions) before it can be considered as knowledge.
And what do you suppose goes on inside a material brain?
Could it be physical reactions ???

Alan Burns

« Reply #41134 on: July 21, 2020, 08:04:52 PM »
It's not necessary that they would.  I am looking at the laptop screen now.  It is the laptop screen that I have knowledge of, not the millions of electrochemical signals from which that knowledge emerges. ...
But the material brain comprises nothing but millions of electromagnetic signals.
The problem is what actually perceives and interprets these signals into the conscious knowledge that "you" experience?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #41135 on: July 21, 2020, 08:08:43 PM »
But the material brain comprises nothing but millions of electromagnetic signals.
The problem is what actually perceives and interprets these signals into the conscious knowledge that "you" experience?

Fallacy of composition: you seem unable to construct a sentence without it being fallacious.

Alan Burns

« Reply #41136 on: July 21, 2020, 08:16:24 PM »
What are these powers?
How exactly do they blind people to the truth?

You can find out more about them in the divine revelations of the Christian bible.

The Devil's greatest ploy:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/03/20/devil/

torridon

« Reply #41137 on: July 21, 2020, 08:59:21 PM »
Conscious knowledge is not an ingredient of programmed reactions.

Maybe not in a simple desktop-computer concept of 'programmed'.  But it is in all creatures that have perception, all visual perception for instance is mediated through the contents of consciousness, and visual perception is a form of knowledge.  Do you really think that a penguin knows nothing about its partner, or its chick, or about the distance to the ocean ?

torridon

« Reply #41138 on: July 21, 2020, 09:07:11 PM »

And a penguin comprises nothing but 4,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms of hydrogen, oxygen and carbon (mainly, give or take a few billion) and not one of those is alive, and yet, somehow that penguin lives and cares for its chick despite being made entirely of dead stuff.  The principal of emergence is truly amazing, isn't it ?

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #41139 on: July 21, 2020, 09:27:46 PM »
You can find out more about them in the divine revelations of the Christian bible.

That doesn't answer the question.
Try again.
Albert Einstein

Alan Burns

« Reply #41140 on: July 21, 2020, 11:08:28 PM »
Maybe not in a simple desktop-computer concept of 'programmed'.  But it is in all creatures that have perception, all visual perception for instance is mediated through the contents of consciousness, and visual perception is a form of knowledge.  Do you really think that a penguin knows nothing about its partner, or its chick, or about the distance to the ocean ?
We cannot claim to fully understand what goes on in the mind of a penguin.
Neither do we know just how a pigeon's homing instinct works.
They are both examples of God's creativity - as are we.

Alan Burns

« Reply #41141 on: July 21, 2020, 11:10:15 PM »
That doesn't answer the question.
Try again.
Then you have not understood the answer.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #41142 on: July 21, 2020, 11:54:01 PM »
Then you have not understood the answer.
So, explain it to me in your own words rather than fob me off to a website.
Albert Einstein

torridon

« Reply #41143 on: July 22, 2020, 06:23:03 AM »
They are both examples of God's creativity - as are we.

I never claimed we know everything, far from it, the sciences of the mind are in their infancy.  On the other hand that does not equate to being in total ignorance, and much of what we have come to understand about human brain function is from neuroimaging studies in monkeys, for instance.  There are plenty of free learning resources on the internet for those who wish to learn.

torridon

« Reply #41144 on: July 22, 2020, 06:38:09 AM »

That link doesn't answer the question.  it is merely a site that attempts to attribute the origin of well known sayings; maybe you didn't even read it.  There is nothing in it about what techniques and powers the Devil allegedly is using, never mind any rationale for why an all powerful God would continue to sanction and tolerate that.  Is it by God's will that the Devil continues to operate, unrestrained, or is God powerless to intervene to save humans from his cunning machinations, whatever they are ?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #41145 on: July 22, 2020, 07:57:13 AM »
They are both examples of God's creativity evolution* - as are we.

*Fify

Outrider

« Reply #41146 on: July 22, 2020, 08:10:31 AM »

By reacting to them.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Spud

« Reply #41147 on: July 22, 2020, 08:47:42 AM »
Is this conversation still about free will? If not, what's the question? (Sorry, too many posts to catch up on)

Outrider

« Reply #41148 on: July 22, 2020, 09:06:19 AM »
Is this conversation still about free will? If not, what's the question? (Sorry, too many posts to catch up on)

It is.  I'd summarise, but you've not missed much.

Alan is still confusing his personal incredulity regarding the possibility that the brain could be responsible for consciousness with proof that the brain is not a possible source for consciousness, and he's going round and round in that circle to avoid addressing how the very concept of a will that is founded upon prior events can also be free of those prior events.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Spud

« Reply #41149 on: July 22, 2020, 09:19:47 AM »
It is.  I'd summarise, but you've not missed much.

Alan is still confusing his personal incredulity regarding the possibility that the brain could be responsible for consciousness with proof that the brain is not a possible source for consciousness, and he's going round and round in that circle to avoid addressing how the very concept of a will that is founded upon prior events can also be free of those prior events.

O.

Thanks. I had a few thoughts:

Without the spiritual awareness of my human soul I would know nothing.
As someone has stated above, penguins (for example) know things, like which is their mate, but I'm not sure that they are spiritually aware.
I've heard the spirit/soul defined as that part of us that becomes aware that the world doesn't revolve around 'me', there are others out there; it extends to an awareness that the material world is not all that exists. For example, I'm aware that I'm made up of nothing but atoms and molecules reacting with each other, however I am aware of an order in them that is always either increasing or decreasing, but always exists while something is alive. There's also order in the inanimate world, resulting from laws of physics and chemistry.
Whilst matter is evidence for God - how can something come from nothing - order is also evidence - how could order have happened by chance?
When you become conscious of God, then there is the possibility of something else influencing conscious decision making other than just the strongest physical stimulus. That awareness of God might fade as we become engrossed in an activity, or it might be consciously suppressed so that someone will eventually deny God exists.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:28:51 AM by Spud »