Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3732595 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #42425 on: October 30, 2020, 05:58:08 PM »
Which actually doesn't answer the point. There are objective ways in which we can prove that results in mathematics are right or wrong. Unless you can provide an objective method for resolving all moral issues, then even if objective morality exists, it might as well not exist because we have no way to access it. In practice, we have to deal with morality subjectively regardless.
Have to deal with it subjectively? Who on earth practically treats it as though it is? Certainly not the atheist moral professors on this forum.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #42426 on: October 30, 2020, 06:05:10 PM »
Have to deal with it subjectively? Who on earth practically treats it as though it is? Certainly not the atheist moral professors on this forum.

So how can we access objective morality? Where is the objective method that can tell us what is morally right when two people (or groups) differ?
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #42427 on: October 30, 2020, 06:06:49 PM »
Vlad,

I claim it is realistic in broadly the same sense that maths is realistic and so do you with your suggestion that you can give me a difficult moral problem.

That’s called a non sequitur – (yet) another fallacy. Being able to give you a difficult moral problem does not imply an equivalence with a difficult maths problem.

Under your philosophy any solution is as likely to be as right or as wrong as any other with zero arbitration resulting.

Well that’s stupid. The solution “4” to the maths problem “what is 2+2?” isn’t as “likely to be as right or as wrong as any other with zero arbitration resulting” for reasons even you should be able to grasp. “4” can be shown to be objectively correct, albeit with no appeal to a necessary absolute veracity. You could for example use that maths to calculate how long the bungee rope should be to stop you hitting the concrete - and then you could test it. That's your "arbitration". Your opinion and mine about that are irrelevant.   

“Is equal marriage is morally good?” on the other hand has a range of answers, none of which can be shown to be objectively true. We can express our opinions and hope enough people agree with us for them to become policy but that’s all we have – opinions.   

Moral equations are far harder to get right because our faculties are not as good as mathematic.

No, they’re impossible to “get right” because there’s no objective benchmark of what “right” is. Sometimes we can reach consensus on moral issues, but that’s all. 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42428 on: October 30, 2020, 06:17:35 PM »
Vlad,

That’s called a non sequitur – (yet) another fallacy. Being able to give you a difficult moral problem does not imply an equivalence with a difficult maths problem.

Well that’s stupid. The solution “4” to the maths problem “what is 2+2?” isn’t as “likely to be as right or as wrong as any other with zero arbitration resulting” for reasons even you should be able to grasp. “4” can be shown to be objectively correct, albeit with no appeal to a necessary absolute veracity. You could for example use that maths to calculate how long the bungee rope should be to stop you hitting the concrete - and then you could test it. That's your "arbitration". Your opinion and mine about that are irrelevant.   

“Is equal marriage is morally good?” on the other hand has a range of answers, none of which can be shown to be objectively true. We can express our opinions and hope enough people agree with us for them to become policy but that’s all we have – opinions.   

No, they’re impossible to “get right” because there’s no objective benchmark of what “right” is. Sometimes we can reach consensus on moral issues, but that’s all.
Ive just spent a day with NTTS with him lecturing me on what is moral and what is not.
Now on this thread he has taken a completely different tack.

You might think it subjective but you don't act it.

Have a nice day.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #42429 on: October 30, 2020, 06:24:18 PM »
Vlad,

Ive just spent a day with NTTS with him lecturing me on what is moral and what is not.
Now on this thread he has taken a completely different tack.

Relevance?

You might think it subjective but you don't act it.

What are you trying to say here?

Have a nice day.

You too. 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

ippy

« Reply #42430 on: November 14, 2020, 04:52:56 PM »
I've been reading through some of Nick's posts and having done so I think perhaps the atheists should all be taking our Alan Burns far more seriously.

Talking of Alan, long time no see?

ippy.

SusanDoris

« Reply #42431 on: November 14, 2020, 10:56:45 PM »
I've been reading through some of Nick's posts and having done so I think perhaps the atheists should all be taking our Alan Burns far more seriously.

Talking of Alan, long time no see?

ippy.
Funny you should say that just now, because recently on the GH board there has been an increasing number of posts which make AB's beliefs sound quite rational!! 
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

ippy

« Reply #42432 on: November 15, 2020, 05:19:08 PM »
Funny you should say that just now, because recently on the GH board there has been an increasing number of posts which make AB's beliefs sound quite rational!!
what the

No idea what the GH board is SD, I'll take a guess, it's some sort of forum?

Regards, ippy.

SusanDoris

« Reply #42433 on: November 15, 2020, 05:26:43 PM »
what the

No idea what the GH board is SD, I'll take a guess, it's some sort of forum?

Regards, ippy.
Yes, it's the Graham Hancock forum. I'll send you an pm about what's happening just now.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Roses

« Reply #42434 on: December 17, 2020, 04:50:15 PM »
Alan Burns appears to have given up trying to persuade us that he has the elusive 'truth', he hasn't posted on the forum since October.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42435 on: December 17, 2020, 05:22:42 PM »
Alan Burns appears to have given up trying to persuade us that he has the elusive 'truth', he hasn't posted on the forum since October.
He has laid them out, they've been published. It is up to you what you now do with them and what road you wish to take.

If he just got bored, He won't be the first person whose been bored off the forum or the last.

Roses

« Reply #42436 on: December 19, 2020, 11:45:34 AM »
Searching for god is a bit of a pointless exercise, there being no verifiable evidence that it actually exists. I have no problem with people having a faith as long as they don't force their belief down the throats of unbelievers with threats if they don't convert.

ippy

« Reply #42437 on: December 19, 2020, 03:37:04 PM »
Searching for god is a bit of a pointless exercise, there being no verifiable evidence that it actually exists. I have no problem with people having a faith as long as they don't force their belief down the throats of unbelievers with threats if they don't convert.

The worst thing the religionist do is forcing it down the throats of the very youngest most vulnerable innocent little children, the people that do that, I would say I absolutely hate them for that.

ippy

Roses

« Reply #42438 on: December 19, 2020, 03:46:00 PM »
The worst thing the religionist do is forcing it down the throats of the very youngest most vulnerable innocent little children, the people that do that, I would say I absolutely hate them for that.

ippy

I agree that is the worst thing they can do. Sadly I know of a family whose four children, the eldest is eleven, have had their parents very extreme view of religion forced on them from birth.  >:( Instead of having friends for sleep overs and doing what kids enjoy doing, they are expected to invite them over for Bible studies!  :o
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 04:46:09 PM by Littleroses »

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #42439 on: January 18, 2021, 12:39:32 PM »

A valid argument is one in which it is impossible for its premises to be true and its conclusion to be false. Given a clear statement of an argument's premises, the logical steps, and the conclusion, its validity should not be a matter of debate. Either it's impossible for the premises to be true and the conclusion false, or it isn't.

You put a lot of faith in your ability to produce logical arguments based upon your perception of the premises involved.
You have also claimed in previous posts that such logic is somehow devoid of the laws of physics acting on material elements.
I also have to consider that your often quoted logic must be labelled as human logic because it entirely exists within the human mind and is derived by the human mind.

Human logic is an attempt to make sense of what we consciously perceive with our physical senses.
What we perceive with our physical senses is the behaviour of material elements being acted upon by the laws of physics.
So your oft quoted assertion that human logic is somehow devoid of the physical or material is entirely false - it is entirely derived from human perception of physically driven material behaviour.

So what could possibly be wrong with the logical conclusion that every event must be entirely defined by reaction to previous events - hence everything we "choose" to do, think or say must be an inevitable reaction to the past with no possibility that we could have chosen differently?

1.  The initial premise that events must be reactions to the past is based upon the observation that changes take place due to predictable, physically driven reactions to past events.  This premise ignores the possibility that there could be a non physical cause emanating from a source which exists outside the time dependent "cause and effect" chains of reactions observed in material behaviour.

2. Can our consciously driven efforts to make sense of our perceived reality be driven entirely by the uncontrollable physical reactions occurring in the cells of a material brain?  I put it to you that consciously driven control cannot be compatible with inevitable reactions.  It is has been quoted on this thread that conscious awareness of our "choices" occurs after the choice have been defined by the reactions in our brain cells, which effectively denies the possibility of consciously driven thought processes.

3. The premise that all that comprises reality must conform to the consciously observed time dependent "cause and effect" rules of physical material behaviour is an unfounded presumption - not a premise.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Stranger

« Reply #42440 on: January 18, 2021, 01:09:11 PM »
You put a lot of faith in your ability to produce logical arguments based upon your perception of the premises involved.

I've actually been trying (in vain) to get you to produce the 'sound logic' or even 'valid arguments' you keep on claiming to have.

You have also claimed in previous posts that such logic is somehow devoid of the laws of physics acting on material elements.

I assume by this that you mean that the specific objections I have made to your position do not depend on physical laws? If so, then that is correct.

I also have to consider that your often quoted logic must be labelled as human logic because it entirely exists within the human mind and is derived by the human mind.

Human logic is all we have. I'll remind you again that it was you who claimed to have logic to support your claims.

Human logic is an attempt to make sense of what we consciously perceive with our physical senses.
What we perceive with our physical senses is the behaviour of material elements being acted upon by the laws of physics.
So your oft quoted assertion that human logic is somehow devoid of the physical or material is entirely false - it is entirely derived from human perception of physically driven material behaviour.

Boy but you're confused. Why don't you go and look at the free book I pointed you at before, and learn something about logic? What you've said here is just nonsense. Logic is abstract, like mathematics.

So what could possibly be wrong with the logical conclusion that every event must be entirely defined by reaction to previous events - hence everything we "choose" to do, think or say must be an inevitable reaction to the past with no possibility that we could have chosen differently?

1.  The initial premise that events must be reactions to the past is based upon the observation that changes take place due to predictable, physically driven reactions to past events.

As I've pointed out multiple times, no it is not.

This premise ignores the possibility that there could be a non physical cause emanating from a source which exists outside the time dependent "cause and effect" chains of reactions observed in material behaviour.

As I've also pointed out multiple times, whether it's material or not is totally irrelevant and if it doesn't exist in time (at least a time dimension), it can't do anything, and hence can't cause anything.

2. Can our consciously driven efforts to make sense of our perceived reality be driven entirely by the uncontrollable physical reactions occurring in the cells of a material brain?  I put it to you that consciously driven control cannot be compatible with inevitable reactions.

You can put it to me if you want, but until you can provide the 'sound logic' you said you had, it's just hot air.

It is has been quoted on this thread that conscious awareness of our "choices" occurs after the choice have been defined by the reactions in our brain cells, which effectively denies the possibility of consciously driven thought processes.

Irrelevant.

3. The premise that all that comprises reality must conform to the consciously observed time dependent "cause and effect" rules of physical material behaviour is an unfounded presumption - not a premise.

I have never proposed that as a premiss - that's your own misrepresentation of what I said. And, yet again, it's you that need a set of premises and an argument because it's you who claimed to have 'sound logic'.

Have you just returned to this thread to repeat all the same mistakes you made last time?

Alan Burns

« Reply #42441 on: January 18, 2021, 03:01:47 PM »

Boy but you're confused. Why don't you go and look at the free book I pointed you at before, and learn something about logic? What you've said here is just nonsense. Logic is abstract, like mathematics.

You label it "abstract", but how can you possibly presume that any logic derived entirely from perception of material behaviour can become totally irrelevant to the laws of physical behaviour in material elements?
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Stranger

« Reply #42442 on: January 18, 2021, 03:32:37 PM »
You label it "abstract", but how can you possibly presume that any logic derived entirely from perception of material behaviour can become totally irrelevant to the laws of physical behaviour in material elements?

I don't even know what you're trying to say. Are you questioning the process of logic itself or are you talking about the specific argument? Either way you're wrong.

Logic, as a discipline, is abstract in the same way as mathematics is, in fact, in some ways you can consider it to be a branch of mathematics. In other words, the rules of doing a (deductive) argument from a given set of premises have been refined and codified over millennia.

The specific point I have made about determinism and randomness simply isn't "derived entirely from perception of material behaviour". Remember #40759?

And remember it's you who claimed to have 'sound logic', which we still haven't seen.

Stranger

« Reply #42443 on: January 18, 2021, 04:31:18 PM »

Don't know why you quoted that bit to say what you did, but anyway, here's the link again: Critical Thinking (pdf). Why not learn something?

torridon

« Reply #42444 on: January 18, 2021, 05:25:40 PM »

No such thing as 'human logic', there is just 'logic'.  Likewise there is 'algebra', but there is no 'christian algebra' or 'muslim algebra', just 'algebra'.  For any right angled triangle, the square of the hypotenuse will always equal the sum of the squares of the other two sides irrespective of whether there are any humans in existence trying to understand it.

torridon

« Reply #42445 on: January 18, 2021, 05:36:34 PM »

Anything not conforming to the principle of cause and effect would be random, remember ?

Alan Burns

« Reply #42446 on: January 18, 2021, 05:43:23 PM »
No such thing as 'human logic', there is just 'logic'.
Human logic is an attempt by the conscious human mind to make sense of the reality we perceive with our human senses - so it is entirely correct to use the term "human logic".  And as such it is not exempt from human error.

torridon

« Reply #42447 on: January 18, 2021, 05:51:25 PM »
Human logic is an attempt by the conscious human mind to make sense of the reality we perceive with our human senses - so it is entirely correct to use the term "human logic".  And as such it is not exempt from human error.

You are confusing logic with the understanding of logic. A logical argument is either true or it is not true irrespective of any individual's cognitive capacities in understanding it. A right angled triangle found by a Neanderthal man would still have a hypotenuse whose square equaled the sum of the squares of the other two sides whether or not the truth of that was apparent to him.

Alan Burns

« Reply #42448 on: January 18, 2021, 05:53:26 PM »
Anything not conforming to the principle of cause and effect would be random, remember ?
Quite wrong.
You continue to ignore the power of the present to invoke deliberate interaction with the otherwise pre determined chains of cause and effect we perceive in material reactions.

How else could we have the freedom to consciously guide our thought processes to reach valid conclusions?  Such guidance would not be possible in a scenario in which conscious perception of thoughts can only occur after the chemical reactions which define our thoughts.

Stranger

« Reply #42449 on: January 18, 2021, 05:53:59 PM »
Human logic is an attempt by the conscious human mind to make sense of the reality we perceive with our human senses...

No it isn't, it's more abstract than that, just like mathematics. Gödel's incompleteness theorems, for example, is logic to understand logic.

And as such it is not exempt from human error.

Only in the sense you could add 'human' in front of any human discipline. It's totally pointless and redundant though. Human mathematics, human physics, human philosophy, human pointless pedantry...

And as such it is not exempt from human error.

Nobody here is claiming infallibility. Now, where is the human 'sound logic' you said you had? Why the human evasion?