Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3732318 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #42775 on: June 22, 2021, 06:17:46 PM »
NTtS,

AB is the Wylie E. Coyote of this mb. When he charges off the cliff he can remain aloft only if he never looks down and sees the reality that he’s unsupported. That’s why he always misrepresents or ignores the rebuttals he’s given – actually engaging with them honestly (or even at all) would be the equivalent of looking down, and he daren’t risk that.

Ever.     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq_bjaI0NTo
I see things as quite the opposite.
It is the reality of my freedom to compose this reply which supports my contention for the spiritual nature of human beings.
You cannot take this reality away by flawed logic which tries to deny this reality.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 10:58:40 PM by Alan Burns »
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #42776 on: June 22, 2021, 06:20:46 PM »
Incidentally AB, as you struggle (or appear to) so badly with the idea of reality existing simultaneously in different levels of abstraction, perhaps if we take your hall of mirrors attempts at reasoning at face value you might finally be able to grasp it.

For reasons known only to yourself you’ve decided that humans do have invisible little drivers at the controls (“souls”), but other species of animal don’t. So let’s take this madness at face value for now and see where it leads – your dog for example doesn’t have a little “dog soul”, so functions as a "reactive" machine (according to you - we'll just put aside for now the overwhelming evidence to the contrary).

You also know though (or at least I hope you do) that that a dog consists of atoms. And possibly too you may also be aware that at a deeper level still that collection of atoms exists at a sub-atomic level.

Still with me? Good. So do you think, “that’s not a dog, its a bunch of atoms”, or even “that’s not a collection of atoms, it’s a bunch of sub-atomic particles” and so refuse to feed it when it’s hungry? After all, why would someone feed a bunch of atoms?

Of course you don’t – at you accept that at one level of abstraction in front of you is a dog, and so you feed it, walk it, keep it from harm etc. Or at least I hope you do. Yet you also grasp that the very same reality “dog” also exists at a fundamentally deeper level of a vastly complex and interacting collection of atoms even without an invisible little dog soul in the mix.

Can you see it now? Different levels of abstraction exist simultaneously, and so we treat them differently.       

And if you can see that, can you also see that even without your reason- and evidence-free vapidities about “souls” in the mix – the same is true of people? It’s perfectly rational that is to fine someone for speeding because, at that level of abstraction, there was a person who was speeding (just as it’s rational to feed a dog). Simultaneously though that same person also existed at lots of more fundamental levels of abstraction in which “speeding” and “choice” are meaningless concepts. They simply don’t apply.

Sadly we both know that you’ll never be honest enough to address this explanation, but there it is for what it’s worth nonetheless.         
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #42777 on: June 22, 2021, 06:23:21 PM »

Only at the experiential level. The experience of “control” tells you nothing though about what’s actually going on at the functional level beneath the experience. 

So I ask again.
If my perception of control is only an experience, what precisely is in control?
How can I be personally responsible for whatever constitutes the goings on at the functional level beneath the experience?
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #42778 on: June 22, 2021, 06:29:57 PM »
AB,

I see things a quite the opposite.

Have a look at my Reply 42754. In it I set out a set of rebuttals and falsifications of your attempts at reasoning.

Now have a look at your replies. Not once did you attempt to address even one of those rebuttals and falsifications. Not once. 

That’s you refusing to look down for fear of what you might find out, and you don’t get to “see things as quite the opposite” about that. Dishonest evasiveness is dishonest evasiveness, and it’s not an option for you to pretend otherwise.   

It is the reality of my freedom to compose this reply which supports my contention for the spiritual nature of human beings.

No it isn’t. If you weren’t so dishonestly evasive you’d know why.

You cannot take this reality away by flawed logic which tries to deny thisreality.

If you think my logic is flawed, then all you have to do is to explain why. That’s not what you do though is it. What you do always is to misrepresent it or to ignore it, and then to repeat exactly the same mistakes in reasoning over and over again.

If you weren’t so dishonestly evasive you’d understand that.

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #42779 on: June 22, 2021, 06:36:03 PM »
AB,

So I ask again.
If my perception of control is only an experience, what precisely is in control?

So I explain again – there doesn’t need to be something “in control” in the sense you’re attempting.

How can I be personally responsible for whatever constitutes the goings on at the functional level beneath the experience?

Yet again, because “I” exists at one experiential level of abstraction that is responsible for its actions, while at the same time deeper, more profound levels of abstraction exist beneath that one.

If you’re too dim-witted, too dishonest or too cognitively impaired by blind faith at least to try to respond to that there’s nothing more I can do for you.             

God

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #42780 on: June 22, 2021, 06:39:09 PM »

This remains a totally unsupported assertion. You have never once attempted to back it up with anything remotely like reasoning or evidence. It appears to be based on nothing but your own incredulity.

Nobody has ever tried to deny that you have the 'freedom' to write anything that you want to - what you can't to is decide on your wants, because that leads directly to an infinite regress and is therefore impossible as your mind cannot possibly be infinite.

You cannot take this reality away by flawed logic which tries to deny this reality.

You haven't established a reality that in any way contradicts determinism and you have never shown a flaw in the reasoning.

Isn't it about time you faced up to that reality?
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #42781 on: June 22, 2021, 07:05:10 PM »
I see things a quite the opposite.

Oh the irony: you keep banging on about things not being 'defined' and then you just baldly assert that humans have a 'spiritual nature' that is part or 'reality' and yet you haven't ever produced evidence or an argument in support of your claim that isn't fallacious nonsense.

If I have such a thing as a 'spiritual nature' then please define it for me so that I can check that your are correct.   

Alan Burns

« Reply #42782 on: June 22, 2021, 07:37:49 PM »
AB,

So I explain again – there doesn’t need to be something “in control” in the sense you’re attempting.

Yet again, because “I” exists at one experiential level of abstraction that is responsible for its actions, while at the same time deeper, more profound levels of abstraction exist beneath that one.

If you’re too dim-witted, too dishonest or too cognitively impaired by blind faith at least to try to respond to that there’s nothing more I can do for you.             
I still fail to see how an experiential level of abstraction can be held responsible for the deliberations involved in being dishonest.

Can you not see that your ability to conceive of two levels of abstraction could only happen from an overriding single level of abstraction needed to perceive (or imagine) the reality you try to portray?

We both are able to demonstrate profound abilities to try to justify what we believe to be true, but how could this be entirely driven from the deeper, more profound levels of abstraction you claim to underlie the experiential level?  Atoms and molecules can only react - they do not perceive, neither do they have choice.  Perception and choice are not just a level of abstraction - they are a reality which exists beyond the bounds of physical reactions.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #42783 on: June 22, 2021, 07:42:27 PM »
Nothing to do with emotions - they are beyond conscious control.

By that statement then it would be logical to assume that that they , emotions,  are generated by physical reaction etc would it not?
If not, then by what means are they created?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Stranger

« Reply #42784 on: June 22, 2021, 07:47:12 PM »
I still fail to see how an experiential level of abstraction can be held responsible for the deliberations involved in being dishonest.

Quite apart from all the other points that have been made (and you've totally ignored) this is an argumentum ad consequentiam fallacy.

Can you not see that your ability to conceive of two levels of abstraction could only happen from an overriding single level of abstraction needed to perceive (or imagine) the reality you try to portray?

Total gibberish.

We both are able to demonstrate profound abilities to try to justify what we believe to be true...

You have shown zero 'profound ability' to argue your case, which, given your claimed background, leads directly to the conclusion that your blind faith overrides your ability to think clearly.

...but how could this be entirely driven from the deeper, more profound levels of abstraction you claim to underlie the experiential level?  Atoms and molecules can only react - they do not perceive, neither do they have choice.  Perception and choice are not just a level of abstraction - they are a reality which exists beyond the bounds of physical reactions.

Argument from personal incredulity fallacy (yet again).

torridon

« Reply #42785 on: June 23, 2021, 07:11:27 AM »
Nothing to do with emotions - they are beyond conscious control.
It is my demonstrable freedom to think and to actively pursue conscious intentions which defies any explanation from the physical model - which reduces everything to inevitable reaction.  How can anyone justify an accusation of intentional misdemeanours if they are just the unavoidable reactions in the physically controlled workings of a material brain?

I don't see what 'physical model' has to do with it. It is a question of logic, of conceptualisation, and of what you mean by 'freedom'.  If I say "I am free to speak my mind", that says something about the circumstances I happen to be in, not something about the quality of being a human person. If by 'free' you mean freedom from causality, that implies your decision-making is random.  You don't believe we are random, neither do I.  The way out of this is to realise that this 'demonstrable freedom' that you are fond of repeating amounts to an irrational claim, meaning that we are free of causality whilst being not free of causality.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 09:02:33 PM by torridon »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #42786 on: June 23, 2021, 03:18:22 PM »
AB,

I have no idea why you fail to see that given how often it’s been explained to you in clear terms, but in any case all your failure to understand demonstrates is your failure to understand. It does not though imply that the phenomenon you fail to understand is therefore impossible. You however have asserted not only impossibility, but necessary impossibility as the conclusion as a matter of “logical deduction”. No matter how many times you’re asked for it though, you will never tell us what thus supposed logical deduction entails. There  are two possible reasons for this:

a) You don’t have logical deduction at all; or

b) You do have logical deduction but you want to keep it a secret. If it is option b) though, why would you want to do that?   

Can you not see that…

Whenever you begin a sentence with “can you not see that…” what you actually mean is “why don’t you agree with my non-reasoning and/or wrong reasoning?” Let’s see if I’m wrong about that this time though shall we?

… your ability to conceive of two levels of abstraction could only happen from an overriding single level of abstraction needed to perceive (or imagine) the reality you try to portray?

Nope. The assemblage of parts and the consequent emergent properties just now that constitute “me” can reason their way to various conclusions. That’s all that’s happening here – no invisible magic hobgoblins are involved or necessary for “me” to experience that as thinking.     

We both are able to demonstrate profound abilities to try to justify what we believe to be true…

Now you’re lying either to me or to yourself. You have no “profound ability” to try to justify your beliefs, or indeed any ability much to do that at all. For the most part you just assert them to be true, and when you do occasionally try to justify them with argument the effort always collapses quickly in a welter of contradictions, fallacies or non sequiturs...

…but how could this be entirely driven from the deeper, more profound levels of abstraction you claim to underlie the experiential level?

...Like this one – the argument from personal incredulity (again). The phenomena we’ve been discussing (consciousness, “free” will etc) sit happily within explanatory paradigms that are well-observed and well-understood (emergence for example). How the process works at a functional level is a fascinating topic, and one on which various groups have been and are working. Maybe one day one of them will have a full process map; maybe some other process will be found; maybe we’ll never figure it out. Here’s the thing though: for the purpose of your “argument” though, it doesn't matter. Really, it doesn’t. It’s enough to say, “here’s an explanatory model that’s rational, observable and consistent into which these phenomena appear to fit well. There is therefore no good reason to abandon that model simply because the details of the processes involved haven’t been worked out, let alone to embrace in the alternative explanations that are irrational, not observable and inconsistent, and about which we have absolutely no functional details of any kind”.

You know this already though don’t you. You don’t think evolutionary theory should have been abandoned because genes hadn’t been discovered (to take torri’s excellent example); you don’t think washing your hands to prevent infection should have been abandoned before germs were discovered etc. In other words, you don’t think that good, observable, reasonable models for anything should have been abandoned because their functional processes hadn't been discovered – with the sole exception that is of the good, observable, reasonable models we have for consciousness, for “free” will, for any of the phenomena in fact that require magic solutions solely to justify your religious beliefs.   

And that old son is called special pleading – yet another of the countless fallacies on which you rely.           

Atoms and molecules can only react - they do not perceive, neither do they have choice.  Perception and choice are not just a level of abstraction - they are a reality which exists beyond the bounds of physical reactions.

The emergent property of consciousness can perceive and can make choices though – and all we need for that is material stuff interacting in specific ways. You’ve had emergence explained to you many times though, so why not address that rather than return over and over again to the same stupidities that it falsifies? 

Oh, and despite being asked I see you’ve just ignored once again the various rebuttals and falsifications I gave to you a few posts back. What does this behaviour say about you do you think?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 06:00:18 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42787 on: June 28, 2021, 10:38:54 PM »
The idea that complexity must have been 'created' by something complex is not a feasible explanation.  It is a self-refuting cop out, it implies an impossible infinite regress.  The way to understand complexity is in terms of how it arises from simplicity, ie from first principles, from the bottom up.
Not sure how it implies an impossible infinite regress. Glad you can get away with declaring an infinite regress ''impossible''

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #42788 on: June 30, 2021, 08:56:10 AM »
Not sure how it implies an impossible infinite regress. Glad you can get away with declaring an infinite regress ''impossible''
If something complex must be created by something more complex then you either have an infinite regress. Whether that is impossible or not is another matter, but it doesn't seem to be a very sensible suggestion to explain complexity.

However the problem with this complexity argument is that it defines complexity in a particularly human centric manner largely based on a rather arrogant view that attributes we possess to a greater level than other species are somehow the pinnacle of complexity, specifically higher consciousness. I think that view needs to be challenged. Why is a human more complex than a tree, why is a dolphin more complex than a perfect crystalline structure. To imply this to be obvious betrays a narrow anthropocentric perspective.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42789 on: June 30, 2021, 11:59:58 AM »
If something complex must be created by something more complex then you either have an infinite regress. Whether that is impossible or not is another matter, but it doesn't seem to be a very sensible suggestion to explain complexity.
First things first, you either have an infinite regress or what, you didn't finish. Secondly Torridon as far as I can see, is saying that an infinite regress is impossible. I don't see a challenge on that from anyone even he has gone further than me when I said an infinite regress was extremely unlikely. Why must something complex be created by something more complex? I feel with you are completely out of step with those who say the universe just is, needing no creation. And the universe is complex. So you cannot hold that a complex thing can exist uncreated and hold that a complex thing needs something more complex at one and the same time.
However the problem with this complexity argument is that it defines complexity in a particularly human centric manner largely based on a rather arrogant view that attributes we possess to a greater level than other species are somehow the pinnacle of complexity, specifically higher consciousness. I think that view needs to be challenged. Why is a human more complex than a tree, why is a dolphin more complex than a perfect crystalline structure. To imply this to be obvious betrays a narrow anthropocentric perspective.
I don't know, I am not arguing complexity here at all but observed contingency, unobserved necessity and Sufficient Reason.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #42790 on: June 30, 2021, 12:14:05 PM »
I don't know, I am not arguing complexity here at all but observed contingency, unobserved necessity and Sufficient Reason.
Well it would be useful if you might actually provide a cogent argument based on observed contingency, unobserved necessity and Sufficient Reason (quite why that is capitalised I've no idea).

However from what I can see an argument that complex entities must be created by more complex entities fails on each of those counts - for example there are countless examples where complex arrangements self-assemble from apparently less complex formulations without the need for the involvement of a more complex 'creator'.

Stranger

« Reply #42791 on: June 30, 2021, 12:14:47 PM »

Except you're not actually arguing at all. Despite the endless references to these terms and vague hand-waving you have never once posted anything remotely like an actual argument based on them.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42792 on: June 30, 2021, 03:45:03 PM »
Well it would be useful if you might actually provide a cogent argument based on observed contingency, unobserved necessity and Sufficient Reason (quite why that is capitalised I've no idea).

If you and your chums on this board question whether I have made an argument at all it is no wonder why you suckle on the teat of Bertrand Russell and his almighty 'Brute fact' non argument.

Stranger

« Reply #42793 on: June 30, 2021, 03:50:11 PM »
If you and your chums on this board question whether I have made an argument at all...

If you think you've made an argument, Vlad, all you have to do is point it out or repeat it. Your continued evasion whenever you've been asked suggests that you actually know that you haven't.

Remember that an argument starts with premises, contains valid logic steps, and has a clear conclusion. Off you go... [not holding breath].

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #42794 on: June 30, 2021, 06:17:53 PM »
Vlad,

To the best of my recollection you have never made an argument for anything. Ignoring or misrepresenting the arguments you cannot falsify isn't an argument for something.

You could of course show me to be wrong and (finally) set out an argument for a truth you assert to be true, but I don't suppose you ever will.     

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #42795 on: July 06, 2021, 02:51:13 PM »

Well you know what, the love between two people is hugely more profound and significant than the love between a single person and a man-made god.
How can Love exist without the truly amazing gift of freedom which God has given us?
Love not freely given is no love at all - just a meaningless, unavoidable consequence.

God is the ultimate source of love - you will not find love in material reactions.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #42796 on: July 06, 2021, 02:59:39 PM »
AB,

How can Love exist without the truly amazing gift of freedom which God has given us?

Biology.

Love not freely given is no love at all - just a meaningless, unavoidable consequence.

Who says that love isn't freely given, and in any case meaningless to whom? Love is very meaningful to people who experience it, and there's no reason to think god(s) are required for that to be the case.   

God is the ultimate source of love - you will not find love in material reactions.

Unqualified assertion. Suggest you start with defining "god", and then try to make an argument to demonstrate its existence. Good luck with it though.

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #42797 on: July 06, 2021, 03:40:49 PM »
AB,

Biology.
Which you no doubt presume to comprise entirely of material reactions.
Unqualified assertion. Suggest you start with defining "god", and then try to make an argument to demonstrate its existence. Good luck with it though.
I suggest you try defining "Love" entirely as a consequence of material reactions.

Outrider

« Reply #42798 on: July 06, 2021, 03:47:08 PM »

Not 'presume'; deduce, from the available evidence.

I suggest you try defining "Love" entirely as a consequence of material reactions.

We lack sufficient understanding of the intricacies of human psychology and neurology to adequately determine if 'love' is a single concept, or a diffuse collection of sensations that are broadly equated by people's inexact understanding of others' psyches, but for me love, in the romantic sense for my wife, is a combination of familiarity, comfort, challenge, novelty, frustration, lust, humour and frisson of pride. I suspect, for others, and my love for others (say, my children) is a different combination.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #42799 on: July 06, 2021, 03:51:35 PM »
AB,

No, I accept it as the most cogent model because I can justify it with reason and evidence. "Presuming" is what you do about your various truth assertions because they just happen to feel that way to you.   

I suggest you look up "burden of proof" to save you further embarrassment about this.

God