Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3733833 times)

Outrider

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #42900 on: July 31, 2021, 10:59:58 PM »
We do not understand how gravity works, but we know what it does.

We do know, though, that it isn't a force, yet any number of people 'know' that it is.

Similarly we do not know how human free will works,

You've jumped a stage, here - we don't know that free will actually is, before we get to determining how it might work. People saw things appearing to accelerate, and posited a force of gravity to explain it, but it turns out that perception of acceleration was a facet of human fallibility.

You see things that appear to be free will, but your perception is flawed and limited, just like everyone else's. When you examine the idea, free will makes no sense.

... but we know what it does - it enables us to manipulate the forces of nature to bring about human creativity, it enables us to contemplate nature and draw conclusions, it enables us to identify and choose between good and evil, it enables us to allow our human mind to soar far beyond the limits of what we perceive with our physical senses, it enables us to discover God and invite Him into our lives, it enables us to choose our own destiny.

None of those require freedom from prior events in order to be experienced, none of them are display of being somehow unshackled from causality.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #42901 on: July 31, 2021, 11:07:59 PM »
AB,

The concept of a flat earth stems from the data we perceive from our sensory organs and as such it is open to misinterpretation.
The concept of free will stems from our innermost being - it defines who we are, not what we are.

Utter bollocks. The experience of "free" will is something we explain to ourselves with a narrative about unfettered choice. We do that because it's a simple and convenient way to make sense of what's going on. That is, we reason our way to an explanation.

The problem with that though is that our everyday reasoning in this case is, just like so much other everyday reasoning we do, wrong. Flat wrong. Impossible in fact.

That's why we have to apply more considered, better-reasoned, evidence-supported deduction to arrive at a more robust and logically cogent explanation for what "free" must actually mean.     
"Don't make me come down there."

God

torridon

« Reply #42902 on: August 01, 2021, 07:52:28 AM »
The concept of a flat earth stems from the data we perceive from our sensory organs and as such it is open to misinterpretation.
The concept of free will stems from our innermost being - it defines who we are, not what we are.

'Innermost being' is not a term with a clear definition and as such is not very useful.  It's a deepity.  Do you need to reference your innermost being in order to choose between tea and coffee ?  That would lead to really long queues at the coffee machine

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #42903 on: August 01, 2021, 08:14:42 AM »

Absurd nonsense.

Remember that what we actually experience is something nobody is denying. We are free to make up our minds and do whatever we want to do. The only way in which your nonsensical version differs is your insistence that we could have thought and decided differently, even if everything (inside out outside of the mind) was exactly the same (and excluding anything random).

This is not something anybody can possibly experience, even in principle. It's nothing but a vague intuition or feeling. It has even less basis than a flat earth, and at least a flat earth isn't logically self-contradictory.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #42904 on: August 01, 2021, 04:47:59 PM »
Absurd nonsense.

Remember that what we actually experience is something nobody is denying. We are free to make up our minds and do whatever we want to do. The only way in which your nonsensical version differs is your insistence that we could have thought and decided differently, even if everything (inside out outside of the mind) was exactly the same (and excluding anything random).

This is not something anybody can possibly experience, even in principle. It's nothing but a vague intuition or feeling. It has even less basis than a flat earth, and at least a flat earth isn't logically self-contradictory.
It is why people have regrets - because they know they could have chosen differently.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #42905 on: August 01, 2021, 05:11:36 PM »
It is why people have regrets - because they know they could have chosen differently.

I think you mean they wish they had chosen differently - but hindsight occurs in different circumstances from the original choice.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #42906 on: August 01, 2021, 05:49:48 PM »
AB,

Regrets happen when a decision is assessed against its consequences. Consequences are new information that was not present when the decision was made. Thus if that information is made available, the decision will not be made on the same basis it was made the first time.

You're floundering badly here.   
"Don't make me come down there."

God

torridon

« Reply #42907 on: August 02, 2021, 07:29:07 AM »

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, eh, but of course it is something we don't have when making a choice. With the passage of time I may come to regret an earlier choice made without the benefit of hindsight, and my assumption that I would have chosen differently with the benefit of hindsight is a reasonable assumption.   

That is not the same as knowing that I could have chosen differently in exactly the same circumstance - it is not reasonable to assume I could have chosen differently for no reason, as that would mean our decision making is random.

Stranger

« Reply #42908 on: August 02, 2021, 07:54:58 AM »

The baseless assertions just keep coming. They know no such thing.

Regrets tend to be reanalysis with hindsight; "if only I'd thought of that", "if I hadn't acted so impulsively", "if I hadn't made that simple mistake" and so on. The fact of the matter is that they all involve an 'if' that didn't happen. Either it couldn't have happened, or, if it could, it would have been for no reason (because all the reasons remain the same) and so would be random.

Claiming that you know you could have made a different choices is just emotional blind faith, there isn't any possible evidence or reasoning that could support such an assertion.

Outrider

« Reply #42909 on: August 02, 2021, 08:58:57 AM »

They believe. How do they 'know'? Human subjective opinion is, as has been well established, fallible.

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Alan Burns

« Reply #42910 on: November 15, 2021, 04:16:29 PM »
This reveals God to be something invented, not something discovered.  A handy fix, devised by humans to close down the existential angst of not knowing where everything comes from. Like a sticking plaster does not cure the problem, it merely covers it up. Don't ask where god comes from, eh ?
It is a common argument that God is mankind's invention.
But mankind has the unique ability to deduce the existence of God as being the ultimate source of all existence.
This unique ability to discern God is no accident - we were made to know God.
The divine revelations of scripture indicate that the forces of evil separated us from God, but our spiritual nature still exists, and this enables us to search for God within our earthly existence.  The history of mankind shows clear evidence that it is a natural trait of human nature to seek God, and this trait has resulted in the many different religious faiths which exist today.  But there is only one God, and my own Christian faith is based upon the God who made Himself known by becoming one of us, then showing His love for us by opening the door to our eternal salvation through His suffering, death and resurrection.

Matthew 6:33 -
But seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Stranger

« Reply #42911 on: November 15, 2021, 04:30:56 PM »
But mankind has the unique ability to deduce the existence of God as being the ultimate source of all existence.

Silly assertion. Humans have a well documented tendency to see agency where there is none.

The divine revelations of scripture...

The bible is a confused, disjointed, and contradictory mess. If it's a "divine revelation", then god must have serious communication problems or be barking mad.

The history of mankind shows clear evidence that it is a natural trait of human nature to seek God, and this trait has resulted in the many different religious faiths which exist today.

Actually just more evidence of humans seeing agency where none exists and the total absence of the sort of clear and unambiguous message we would expect if a just and fair god had an important message for its creation.

But there is only one God, and my own Christian faith is based upon the God who made Himself known by becoming one of us, then showing His love for us by opening the door to our eternal salvation through His suffering, death and resurrection.

Not only sad, blind, unquestioning faith, but a faith that would make your god an unjust, bloodthirsty, sadomasochistic monster.

Outrider

« Reply #42912 on: November 16, 2021, 12:07:52 AM »

OK.

Firstly, what you're suggesting is not 'deduction' - if it were, you could talk us through the deduction - what you're suggesting is some sort of inherent sense or understanding. Secondly, you're claim is somewhat circular, inasmuch as you're presuming the truth of God in order to validate the sense in humans that you're using to justify the claim of God. Thirdly, if this is innate to humanity, and not, say, a facet of ignorance and humanity's evolutionary tendency towards Type II errors, how come we see an increase in people not demonstrating this 'sense' over time?

You're now making inferences about an 'ability' that you've not demonstrated. You've offered nothing to raise your claim of special sensory apparatus to anything more than pulling excuses out of thin air.

The divine revelations of scripture indicate that the forces of evil separated us from God, but our spiritual nature still exists, and this enables us to search for God within our earthly existence.

And 'divine' revelations in other scripture explicity or implicitly contradict that interpretation, which is only one of many (as a result of the vague nature of the original, the multitudinous poetic translations and the vested political and social interests which have curated what is the 'canon' over history. Why is your particular chosen interpretation of your preferred translation of whichever culture's version you've selected of whichever initial tradition you're representing any more or less valid than any of the other equally profoundly believed but equally unevidenced assertions?

The history of mankind shows clear evidence that it is a natural trait of human nature to seek God, and this trait has resulted in the many different religious faiths which exist today.

Or, humanity seeks answers, and god is just one of many answers that have been put forth. Many of those answers, it turns out, were wrong, and you're not providing anything to justify the idea that 'god' as an answer is not in the same bracket.

But there is only one God, and my own Christian faith is based upon the God who made Himself known by becoming one of us, then showing His love for us by opening the door to our eternal salvation through His suffering, death and resurrection.

There is only one god. That's the Christianity that claims a trinity of gods, but has a whole range of supernatural beings that canonically are not divine, but fulfil exactly the same sort of supernatural roles that demigods and other divine beings in other traditions fulfil, but this is different because.... reasons?  Christianity isn't special.

Matthew 6:33 -
But seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.
[/quote]

Gandalf - Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. Equally mythic, but from a much better researched and constructed imaginary cosmology.

O.

Alan Burns

« Reply #42913 on: November 16, 2021, 11:43:29 AM »
OK.

Firstly, what you're suggesting is not 'deduction' - if it were, you could talk us through the deduction - what you're suggesting is some sort of inherent sense or understanding. Secondly, you're claim is somewhat circular, inasmuch as you're presuming the truth of God in order to validate the sense in humans that you're using to justify the claim of God. Thirdly, if this is innate to humanity, and not, say, a facet of ignorance and humanity's evolutionary tendency towards Type II errors, how come we see an increase in people not demonstrating this 'sense' over time?
You're now making inferences about an 'ability' that you've not demonstrated. You've offered nothing to raise your claim of special sensory apparatus to anything more than pulling excuses out of thin air.
The fact that we exist, and we are aware of our existence must lead to a deduction that there must be something which caused us to exist.  The only alternative would be to presume that this universe somehow brought itself into existence from nothing.  Our ability to make such conscious deductions would appear to be unique among the living species on this earth.  You may try to convince yourself that this unique ability is just an unintended by-product of an evolutionary process, but I see it as God's intended gift to enable mankind to seek the truth about their existence.
And 'divine' revelations in other scripture explicity or implicitly contradict that interpretation, which is only one of many (as a result of the vague nature of the original, the multitudinous poetic translations and the vested political and social interests which have curated what is the 'canon' over history. Why is your particular chosen interpretation of your preferred translation of whichever culture's version you've selected of whichever initial tradition you're representing any more or less valid than any of the other equally profoundly believed but equally unevidenced assertions?
I am fully aware of the many varied human efforts to seek God producing many contradicting interpretations of God and His divine message.
I rely on what I see to be God making Himself known to a race of people who were largely indifferent to His efforts through divine revelation to chosen individuals.  It is evident that human efforts alone are not capable of discovering God.  We need to allow God to make Himself known through divine revelations, which in essence is what the Christian bible is about.  I know other religions claim similar divine revelations, but they are not corroborated in the same manner as the numerous witness stories quoted throughout the Christian bible.
Or, humanity seeks answers, and god is just one of many answers that have been put forth. Many of those answers, it turns out, were wrong, and you're not providing anything to justify the idea that 'god' as an answer is not in the same bracket.
I appreciate that this may be what it looks like from outside the Christian faith, but my own personal experiences of knowing God through prayer cannot be described in words - you would need to experience it yourself to fully understand why I and so many others are fully aware of God's presence in our lives.
There is only one god. That's the Christianity that claims a trinity of gods, but has a whole range of supernatural beings that canonically are not divine, but fulfil exactly the same sort of supernatural roles that demigods and other divine beings in other traditions fulfil, but this is different because.... reasons?  Christianity isn't special.
The Christian faith proclaims there to be three persons in one God - The Father (that which exists, and through whom all exists), The Son (God making Himself known by becoming one of us) and the Holy Spirit (God's spiritual presence on earth).  There are no other divine beings but God.  All else is brought into existence through God's will.  I believe God has shared His creative power by bringing mankind into existence with their own gift of free will.  We believe that God has also given the gift of free will to other beings beyond this universe - the angels.  But in sharing this precious gift, God has allowed the existence of will which is not His own - hence the existence of evil.  This is a very big subject which I can't elaborate on within the limitations of this forum, but there are a wealth of books written on the subject.
Gandalf - Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. Equally mythic, but from a much better researched and constructed imaginary cosmology.
I am a great admirer of the works of Tolkien.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #42914 on: November 16, 2021, 11:59:19 AM »
That is true - there are many aspects about the nature of the gods that are purported to exist which strongly suggest that they have been invented by humans. Most notable that most gods basically exhibit human-like tendencies. I suspect if you encountered some other intelligent life-form on some other planet their 'god' would exhibit 'that life form'-like tendencies.

What are you on about - if god was invented by man all they'd be doing is deducing the existence of their man-made entity.

Complete un-evidenced assertion.

The divine revelations of scripture ...
But the scripts were written by ... err ... humans.

Stranger

« Reply #42915 on: November 16, 2021, 12:16:42 PM »
The fact that we exist, and we are aware of our existence must lead to a deduction that there must be something which caused us to exist.  The only alternative would be to presume that this universe somehow brought itself into existence from nothing.

Of course those aren't the only options, and even if they were, we could say the same thing about any proposed cause. A god doesn't solve the mystery of existence.

I am fully aware of the many varied human efforts to seek God producing many contradicting interpretations of God and His divine message.
I rely on what I see to be God making Himself known to a race of people who were largely indifferent to His efforts through divine revelation to chosen individuals.  It is evident that human efforts alone are not capable of discovering God.  We need to allow God to make Himself known through divine revelations, which in essence is what the Christian bible is about.

So your god is pathetically bad at getting its message across.  ::)

I know other religions claim similar divine revelations, but they are not corroborated in the same manner as the numerous witness stories quoted throughout the Christian bible.

What a silly and absurd claim. Witnesses are notoriously unreliable and 'witnesses' that often weren't even actually witnesses, in the sense of being there when the supposed events took place, and who are long dead anyway, are just storytelling.

I appreciate that this may be what it looks like from outside the Christian faith, but my own personal experiences of knowing God through prayer cannot be described in words - you would need to experience it yourself to fully understand why I and so many others are fully aware of God's presence in our lives.

Which is all just subjective. What's more, many people have been believers, have experienced what you describe, and now recognise it as just self-deception.

Outrider

« Reply #42916 on: November 16, 2021, 12:37:03 PM »
The fact that we exist, and we are aware of our existence must lead to a deduction that there must be something which caused us to exist.

A qualified yes - there is a chain of causative events which led to humanity's emergence; me, personally, I hold to the possibility that this chain of prior events is infinite, but there is insufficient evidence to prove or disprove that. On the other hand, creationists (small 'c', not judging) would hold that there is a 'god' which is responsible for this creation; your own point ('the fact that we exist... must lead to the deduction that there must be something which caused us to exist') would suggest that this 'god' you'd consider our cause must have its own cause, which is not traditionally an accepted understanding of God.

The only alternative would be to presume that this universe somehow brought itself into existence from nothing.

Firstly, no, the universe could be the result of prior entirely undirected natural occurrences of which we have no or limited understanding at this time. Secondly, yes, it's possible that the entirety of our universe emerged unbidden from nothing... I'd still see that as a more likely explanation than some causeless superbeing willing us into existence.

Our ability to make such conscious deductions would appear to be unique among the living species on this earth.

Currently. In the future, who knows? And in the universe at large, with its billions upon billions of potential other homes for life?

You may try to convince yourself that this unique ability is just an unintended by-product of an evolutionary process, but I see it as God's intended gift to enable mankind to seek the truth about their existence.

You can see it thus; you have no basis for that, however. Evolution is a well-observed phenomenon, and we have an extremely well-supported explanation for it that provides an explanation for the emergence of rational intelligence that supernatural creation myths lack. There is no underlying apparent reason for reason; evolution does not require one, but an all-knowing creator does.

Why? Why is an all-knowing, all-powerful creator with a specific mission for humanity so poor at communicating it? Even if you put the lack of understanding of, say, the Christian Gospel down to human arrogance or self-importance, that still fails to explain the millions upon millions of people who have died without ever having been exposed to it, either because they lived before Jesus times or outside of the influence of Christianity's expansion.

And that's without actually asking that question of how can an all-powerful, all-knowing creator convey such an allegedly important thread of information so poorly that it's so incomprehensible?

I rely on what I see to be God making Himself known to a race of people who were largely indifferent to His efforts through divine revelation to chosen individuals.

And I don't thank God for that, I thank you for that. That's you looking for the good in things, you looking for a better way to live and communicate and teach.

It is evident that human efforts alone are not capable of discovering God.

In which case, how can there be justification of punishment for those who do not as at least some Christian doctrines teach?

We need to allow God to make Himself known through divine revelations, which in essence is what the Christian bible is about.

And yet we have no control over them. Our salvation is either at the whim of an apparently capricious deity or a matter of random chance? What is the point of god creating that universe?

I know other religions claim similar divine revelations, but they are not corroborated in the same manner as the numerous witness stories quoted throughout the Christian bible.

They are pretty much exactly as corroborated; which is to say, if you already believe, you're happy to accept the claims of corroboration, and if you don't then you're as sceptical as I am about all of them.

There are any number of experiential circumstances that cannot be communicated. Those with synaesthesia cannot really explain how they can hear colour, or smell sounds. Schizophrenics can hear voices that they know aren't real but equally are convinced have influence at the same time. That you may have sensory events that are beyond my comprehension or appreciation is not something I feel any need to dispute; that you determine yours are somehow different and indicative of an underlying metaphysical reality is not justified by the fact of your different sensory experience. I have dreamt of giant tomatoes trying to eat me, and the genuine terror and immediacy of that is not something that I can convey, but I don't presume that this altered state of consciousness has any underlying meaning, because I know that we fail to understand so much of how our brains work.

The Christian faith proclaims there to be three persons in one God - The Father (that which exists, and through whom all exists), The Son (God making Himself known by becoming one of us) and the Holy Spirit (God's spiritual presence on earth).  There are no other divine beings but God.  All else is brought into existence through God's will.

The twelve major gods of the Greek pantheon were the creations of Zeus, Zeus was the children of Titans...  that god created these things doesn't preclude their being gods or demigods or otherwise supernatural. Christianity trying to imply some difference in nature between the three gods they do accept and the various other supernatural entities (the various ranks of angels, nephelim, giborim and the rest), from the outside, just doesn't hold up. You have a different ranking system of your divine entities, just as, say, the Japanese Shintoists have 'ranks', just like the Norse had the gods, and their children, and other spirits... the details change, but you have a pantheon of supernatural beings competing against each other, just as the Mesopotamians and Sumerians did before you.

I believe God has shared His creative power by bringing mankind into existence with their own gift of free will. We believe that God has also given the gift of free will to other beings beyond this universe - the angels.

That concept of free will, and the fact that it's fundamentally incompatible with the evidence of neurology and the apparent nature of time, fatally undermines at least that interpretation of Christian doctrine.

But in sharing this precious gift, God has allowed the existence of will which is not His own - hence the existence of evil.  This is a very big subject which I can't elaborate on within the limitations of this forum, but there are a wealth of books written on the subject.

And yet what constitutes 'evil' is as poorly defined as any of the rest of it. Adam and Eve's consumption of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil is depicted as the first 'use' of free will, in some understandings - it was given to humanity, but as soon as it was exercised there was punishment. No matter how that story is read - and I appreciate that it's a figurative story, not history - the bad guy is God.

I am a great admirer of the works of Tolkien.

And for that reason, if nothing else, I can be confident that you aren't all bad :) Bearing in mind, of course, that for all I admire Tolkien's work, he'd probably cleave closer to your arguments on here than he would mine!

O.

torridon

« Reply #42917 on: November 17, 2021, 06:53:18 AM »
This unique ability to discern God is no accident - we were made to know God...

Circular reasoning, evidence-free assertion, and a non-sequitur. It boils down to humans have deductive reasoning, therefore God. Doesn't follow.  Our capacity for reasoning anyhow is limited and fallible and it is often poor reasoning that is used to justify an a-priori belief in God. Another example of poor reasoning in the next post.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 06:59:32 AM by torridon »

torridon

« Reply #42918 on: November 17, 2021, 06:57:06 AM »

The divine revelations of scripture indicate that the forces of evil separated us from God, but our spiritual nature still exists, and this enables us to search for God within our earthly existence...

If there is a god which is benign and omnipotent, then it would not tolerate these 'forces of evil' in the first place.  This is another classic example of poor, self-contradictory reasoning being used to justify belief.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42919 on: November 19, 2021, 02:00:56 PM »
If there is a god which is benign and omnipotent, then it would not tolerate these 'forces of evil' in the first place.  This is another classic example of poor, self-contradictory reasoning being used to justify belief.
Depends on your definition of benignity I suppose.

Alan Burns

« Reply #42920 on: November 19, 2021, 11:26:03 PM »
Why have you never, ever managed to produce even the slightest hint of the smallest morsel of that evidence, then?
Two weeks ago in the Sunday readings we heard the bible story of the blind man who approached Jesus.  Jesus asked what he wanted, and the blind man replied "Lord that I may see".  I perceive that there are many people like yourself who suffer from spiritual blindness.  The evidence of God is there for all to see - but you may need to repeat the words of the blind man in order for God to open your eyes to the truth.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #42921 on: November 20, 2021, 12:07:36 AM »
Two weeks ago in the Sunday readings we heard the bible story of the blind man who approached Jesus.  Jesus asked what he wanted, and the blind man replied "Lord that I may see".  I perceive that there are many people like yourself who suffer from spiritual blindness.  The evidence of God is there for all to see - but you may need to repeat the words of the blind man in order for God to open your eyes to the truth.
Because if not your god wants them to be blind. Why does your god blind children? Why is your god a malicious thug?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 12:24:11 AM by Nearly Sane »

Outrider

« Reply #42922 on: November 20, 2021, 01:12:50 AM »

Every day, across the world, people go to medical professionals to seek help because they are seeing or hearing things that aren't really there. These are people who can be verified, and the efficacy of their treatment can be demonstrated and fed back to the pharmaceutical manufacturers and health authorities to improve treatment regimes, diagnosis and patient outcomes.

Against that you've got an outlandish tale about an ancient world sorceror, and an allegation about inherent mystic status of people... absolute nonsense.

O.

Stranger

« Reply #42923 on: November 20, 2021, 10:59:15 AM »

If there were actual, objective evidence of a god, you'd be able to show us. All you actually show is obviously fallacy-ridden and self-contradictory nonsense. Just calling people 'blind' because they won't accept it, is just another intellectually lazy, arrogant assertion. You could easily, in all our previous discussions, have acknowledged that what you said at least appeared to be fallacious or contradictory, and said something to address it, but you could never even be bothered to do that, you just ignored it and endlessly repeated the same trite, reasoning-free nonsense.

Alan Burns

« Reply #42924 on: November 20, 2021, 02:08:12 PM »
If there were actual, objective evidence of a god, you'd be able to show us. All you actually show is obviously fallacy-ridden and self-contradictory nonsense. Just calling people 'blind' because they won't accept it, is just another intellectually lazy, arrogant assertion. You could easily, in all our previous discussions, have acknowledged that what you said at least appeared to be fallacious or contradictory, and said something to address it, but you could never even be bothered to do that, you just ignored it and endlessly repeated the same trite, reasoning-free nonsense.
I see no contradictions in being able to accept the truth behind our existence.
The contradictions come when you search for reasons not to accept the truth, in particular in trying to deny your own freedom to make consciously driven choices which are not just unavoidable reactions to past events.