Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3741264 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #44075 on: November 17, 2022, 03:14:02 PM »
It comes up regularly. The only leg work I shall be doing on your behalf is to flag up when you or anyone else does it again.
You may like to use the search engine on the forum to look at the frequency of the term 'turtles all the way down".
Does it? Where? Leaving aside it's a piece of whataboutery.

And any clue about what you were referring to by 'your own riposte'?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44076 on: November 17, 2022, 05:05:59 PM »
Does it? Where? Leaving aside it's a piece of whataboutery.

And any clue about what you were referring to by 'your own riposte'?
Look if I put the question which is more likely, a created universe or an infinity of causes what do you think the honest preferred explanation will be?

Try it yourself.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #44077 on: November 17, 2022, 05:15:48 PM »
Look if I put the question which is more likely, a created universe or an infinity of causes what do you think the honest preferred explanation will be?

Try it yourself.
So you keep lying.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44078 on: November 17, 2022, 05:25:21 PM »
Vlad,

Try it yourself.

The latter, because an infinite universe hypothesis requires fewer assumptions than adducing an extra feature (a creator) that itself would have to address the same questions (Occam’s razor).     
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #44079 on: November 18, 2022, 01:12:16 AM »
Vlad,

The latter, because an infinite universe hypothesis requires fewer assumptions than adducing an extra feature (a creator) that itself would have to address the same questions (Occam’s razor).   
Fuck me but I owe Vlad an apology here. Someone is actually going for the idea of an infinite regress as if that makes any sense.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #44080 on: November 18, 2022, 09:58:39 AM »
So AB, what is your reasoning for not believing in the huge number of gods that are purported by believers to exist across human history that aren't the christian god.

Remember that the difference between you and me is that you do not believe in n-1 gods (where n is the large number of gods purported to exist) and I do not believe in n gods. Perhaps let's discuss the n-1 gods that neither of us believe in as that may allow you to understand why you don't believe in them.
Human history abounds with man made attempts to seek out the truth behind their existence (which includes the current science/evolution theory).  There can only be one truth, and it is highly apparent that mankind does not have the ability to discover the definitive truth by their own failed attempts.

My Christian faith is centred around the God who makes Himself known to us by becoming one of us and revealing the true nature of our being and divine purpose in our lives.  It is not possible to communicate the full extent of my faith and knowledge of God to someone outside the Christian faith.  What I try to do is help people to remove the false barriers to belief in God and simply allow God to make Himself known to them in a way which can never be rescinded.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44081 on: November 18, 2022, 10:32:02 AM »
NS,

Fuck me but I owe Vlad an apology here. Someone is actually going for the idea of an infinite regress as if that makes any sense.

Fuck me, but I did no such thing. Vlad’s question was binary: “…what do you think the honest preferred explanation will be?” I merely explained to him that Occam’s razor suggests the more likely of only two options is that which requires the fewer assumptions. "Preferring" A over B because B requires more assumptions than A doesn’t make you a proponent of A. Not even close. 

God

ekim

« Reply #44082 on: November 18, 2022, 10:42:08 AM »
  What I try to do is help people to remove the false barriers to belief in God and simply allow God to make Himself known to them in a way which can never be rescinded.

Unfortunately by doing so you are creating false barriers to the belief in Brahman, Nirvana, Tao and using the sexist term 'Himself' doesn't help either.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44083 on: November 18, 2022, 11:43:57 AM »
Vlad,

Don't be daft. An infinite chain of causes unnecessarily multiplies entities infinitely...what are you thinking of?

In what way does the universe provide sufficent reason for itself?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44084 on: November 18, 2022, 12:04:42 PM »
Vlad,

Don't be daft. An infinite chain of causes unnecessarily multiplies entities infinitely...what are you thinking of?

Wrong again. A universe with infinite prior events requires fewer assumptions than a creator with infinite prior creators. Your only way out of that is special pleading (ie, magic), but that’s just white noise. 

A. You will be £10m better off this weekend because you will win the lottery.

B. You will be £10m better off this weekend because Father Christmas will drop it down your chimney.

Which of these truth claims do you "prefer"? Why?

In what way does the universe provide sufficent reason for itself?

In what way does you god provide sufficient reason for itself? The difference between us though is that I can show that there is a universe, so I start with fewer assumptions than you do. 

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #44085 on: November 18, 2022, 12:11:09 PM »
NS,

Fuck me, but I did no such thing. Vlad’s question was binary: “…what do you think the honest preferred explanation will be?” I merely explained to him that Occam’s razor suggests the more likely of only two options is that which requires the fewer assumptions. "Preferring" A over B because B requires more assumptions than A doesn’t make you a proponent of A. Not even close.
Are you that fucking stupid? Preferring an option is taking a position.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44086 on: November 18, 2022, 12:19:35 PM »
NS,

Are you that fucking stupid? Preferring an option is taking a position.

Are you feeling unwell? The only “position” when A requires fewer assumptions than B is that A is the “preferred” option of the available two. That’s not a claim that A is true though.

“Preferring” the claim “I will win £10m on the lottery this weekend” over the claim “Father Christmas will drop £10m down my chimney this weekend” is not a claim that I actually will win £10m on the lottery.     

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #44087 on: November 18, 2022, 12:37:33 PM »
NS,

Are you feeling unwell? The only “position” when A requires fewer assumptions than B is that A is the “preferred” option of the available two. That’s not a claim that A is true though.

“Preferring” the claim “I will win £10m on the lottery this weekend” over the claim “Father Christmas will drop £10m down my chimney this weekend” is not a claim that I actually will win £10m on the lottery.     
If you think an infinite regress is in any way a better option you are an idiot. Both you and Vlad use cause and effect idiotically. He then throws it away like a moron but that's useless as well.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44088 on: November 18, 2022, 01:03:24 PM »
Vlad,

Wrong again. A universe with infinite prior events requires fewer assumptions than a creator with infinite prior creators. Your only way out of that is special pleading (ie, magic), but that’s just white noise. 

A. You will be £10m better off this weekend because you will win the lottery.

B. You will be £10m better off this weekend because Father Christmas will drop it down your chimney.

Which of these truth claims do you "prefer"? Why?

In what way does you god provide sufficient reason for itself? The difference between us though is that I can show that there is a universe, so I start with fewer assumptions than you do.
God provides sufficient reason for why there is anything rather than nothing and an adequate reason for our observation of only contingent things and that provides sufficient reason for God. There could be an unobserved necessary about the universe but the properties of that would still fit the Aquinian definitions of God.

''The universe just is'' ignores the PSF as does an infinite chain of causation...which seems to suffer from insufficient reason.

Occam's razor depends on reason any theory which suspends sufficient reason while insisting on the use of reason in the shape of Occam's razor is contradictory in it's invocation of reason.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 01:19:10 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #44089 on: November 18, 2022, 01:06:58 PM »
God provides sufficient reason for why there is anything rather than nothing and an adequate reason for our observation of only contingent things and that provides sufficient reason for God.
Handwaving and unevidenced assertion.

And logically flawed because you then need to determine what provides sufficient reason for god's existence. The only way you can get around this is by logical contortions of special pleading, circular arguments or basing a conclusion on a subjective definition.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #44090 on: November 18, 2022, 01:20:37 PM »
God provides sufficient reason for why there is anything rather than nothing and an adequate reason for our observation of only contingent things and that provides sufficient reason for God. There could be an unobserved necessary about the universe but the properties of that would still fit the Aquinian definitions of God.

''The universe just is'' ignores the PSF as does an infinite chain of causation...which seems to suffer from insufficient reason.

Occam's razor depends on reason any theory which suspends sufficient reason while insisting on the use of reason in the shape of Occam's razor is contradictory in it's invocation of reason.
Idiotic drivel.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44091 on: November 18, 2022, 01:23:01 PM »
Handwaving and unevidenced assertion.

And logically flawed because you then need to determine what provides sufficient reason for god's existence. The only way you can get around this is by logical contortions of special pleading, circular arguments or basing a conclusion on a subjective definition.
I think you are mistaking ''cause'' for ''sufficient reason''. Everything must have a sufficient explanation or reason but not everything needs a cause. God is sufficiently explained by contingent things being dependent ultimately on a necessary thing.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44092 on: November 18, 2022, 01:24:26 PM »
Idiotic drivel.
People might say that, you being the person but you never seem to offer any reasons.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #44093 on: November 18, 2022, 01:29:48 PM »
I think you are mistaking ''cause'' for ''sufficient reason''. Everything must have a sufficient explanation or reason but not everything needs a cause. God is sufficiently explained by contingent things being dependent ultimately on a necessary thing.
Nope - complete non-sense. That only works in the simplistic world of intention and design. Until or unless you are able to demonstrate why everything must have a sufficient explanation the conversation is totally irrelevant.

And even were you to do this, if everything must have a sufficient reason or sufficient explanation then so must god. And if you then argue that god is its own sufficient reason or sufficient explanation you'd need to justify why anything else could not be its own sufficient reason or sufficient explanation, which you wouldn't be able to do without special pleading. At which point you'd create a situation where god is no longer necessary.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #44094 on: November 18, 2022, 01:31:27 PM »
People might say that, you being the person but you never seem to offer any reasons.
Really? Lying as well. You use cause and effect until you don't.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44095 on: November 18, 2022, 01:33:31 PM »
Nope - complete non-sense. That only works in the simplistic world of intention and design. Until or unless you are able to demonstrate why everything must have a sufficient explanation the conversation is totally irrelevant.
Bonnnnnggggg. I'm afraid you've just tried to undermine the principle of sufficient reason by using the principle of sufficient reason.....Next contestant please.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44096 on: November 18, 2022, 01:35:59 PM »
Really? Lying as well. You use cause and effect until you don't.
Cause can be a sufficient reason but not necessarily so. So I will use the word cause where it fits in with the PSR.
I won't say everything has a cause.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #44097 on: November 18, 2022, 01:36:30 PM »
Bonnnnnggggg. I'm afraid you've just tried to undermine the principle of sufficient reason by using the principle of sufficient reason.....Next contestant please.
No I'm not - I'm saying that only in the context that there is a linear progression - i.e. complexity must arise from greater complexity do you enter the world of sufficient reason, to get over the problem of infinite regress. It is logistical sophistry to get over a problem generated by simplistic thinking about the relationship between entities, which is typically highly anthropocentric.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #44098 on: November 18, 2022, 01:37:37 PM »
Cause can be a sufficient reason but not necessarily so. So I will use the word cause where it fits in with the PSR.
I won't say everything has a cause.
Then you are an idiot.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44099 on: November 18, 2022, 01:38:33 PM »

And even were you to do this, if everything must have a sufficient reason or sufficient explanation then so must god.
Yes and I have demonstrated the sufficient reason for God. God is the necessary for the observed universal contingency.