Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3746629 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #44700 on: January 13, 2023, 05:11:10 PM »
Vlad,

No, you don’t just “allow” for anything – instead you assert it as a fact (“necessary entity” etc). Worse still, you then rely on a logical fallacy for your justification for it.

Wow – even for you that’s a pretty epic straw man. The only one of us talking “of the universe as a whole being contingent or Necessary” is you with your "necessary being" assertion. I make no claims of any sort re necessary, contingent etc – I just explain to you that your positive position about that has no justification.   

You tell me. You’re the one claiming “the universe” to be necessarily contingent on something else remember, not me. I’m just dismembering your “argument” (such as it is) using your terms. 

But that’s not all you say is it? What you actually say (ie, assert), is that the “the universe” is necessarily contingent on something else. The closest you’ve come to justifying that assertion though is the fallacy of composition.

By all means if you finally want to have a go at a justification that isn’t false though then give it a try.   

Tell you what - let's start wit this shall we?:

WHY

DO

YOU

THINK

PROPERTIES

OBSERVED

IN

THE

UNIVERSE

TELL

YOU

SOMETHING

ABOUT

A

PROPERTY

OF

THE

UNIVERSE

AS

A

WHOLE?
Universe as a whole? What the fuck are you on about?
What I am actually saying is the contingent is dependent on the necessary entity and I have said that the necessary entity may be in the universe. Which isn't what you say I am saying.

You were in the legal profession this is just obvious diddling about using tricks of a trade. My advice, get a book on contingency and Necessity.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #44701 on: January 13, 2023, 05:15:13 PM »
I'm not making any fallacy to do with black swans since i've stated there could be a necessary entity in the universe.
But you aren't saying (as far as I'm aware - please correct me if I am wrong), that there could be a necessary entity, which would imply that there also might not be a necessary entity.

As far as I am aware you are saying that:

1. There must be a necessary entity,
2. That there can be one and only one necessary entity and
3. That this one and only one necessary entity must be god

If you are actually saying that there might or might not be necessary entities. That if there are necessary entities there may be one or more than one. And if they do exist then they might or might not be god - then we may (or may not) be in agreement.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44702 on: January 13, 2023, 05:15:23 PM »
Vlad,

I'm not making any fallacy to do with black swans…

Yes you are. What otherwise was the point of: “Fucking hell, he's surrounded by contingency and he still thinks the whole universe could be the necessary being” (Reply 44682)?

…since i've stated there could be a necessary entity in the universe. I don't know why you are pursuing your argument on the basis that I haven't. That means you're just Gaslighting.

That’s not what you stated. What you actually stated was “the universe” necessarily has a cause other than itself. It would help if you didn’t try to make your escape by misrepresenting your own claim. 

I am not a physicalist,

And I’m not a trick cyclist. So?

You are, surely a physical universe cannot contain anything that doesn't conform to the laws of physics.

That’s not what I said, and in any case even if that is the case who’s to say that we already have a complete understanding of what the laws of physics actually are?

So anyway, having had that little detour down Shifting of the Burden of Proof Alley let’s get back to the claim you were making shall we?

A necessary entity does not conform to anything but itself. It is not affected by anything and observation affects the physical.  In your own belief system therefore the physical universe can be nothing but contingent.

Yeah yeah, I get the unqualified assertions. So, back to your central problem: are you now claiming a “necessary” entity or a might be/could be entity?

It would help if you finally made your mind up about this.   
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #44703 on: January 13, 2023, 05:23:07 PM »
What I am actually saying is the contingent is dependent on the necessary entity and I have said that the necessary entity may be in the universe. Which isn't what you say I am saying.

You were in the legal profession this is just obvious diddling about using tricks of a trade. My advice, get a book on contingency and Necessity.
And now you're sounding like a Mormon. I'm trying to see how you can reconcile a 'necessary entity within the universe' with your (apparent) Anglican beliefs. Or are you saying you're a tentative panentheist?
(Just got a bit of unwanted autocorrect)
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44704 on: January 13, 2023, 05:25:59 PM »
Vlad,

The same universe that you assert to be "necessarily" caused by something else in one breath, and then retrench to being only “could be” contingent on something else in the next. And then back again...

...there are more flip-flops here than a German nudist colony.

No, what you’ve actually said is that you think you have an argument for “god” because the universe is necessarily contingent on something else (ie, “god”).

If you now want to retrench from that to a "could be contingent" that’s fine, but it means your argument for god dissolves too. Anything “could be” – so what though? 

No need to – you’ve got yourself so tangled up that you’ve done the job for me. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 05:35:27 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #44705 on: January 13, 2023, 05:42:13 PM »
But you aren't saying (as far as I'm aware - please correct me if I am wrong), that there could be a necessary entity, which would imply that there also might not be a necessary entity.

If you are actually saying that there might or might not be necessary entities. That if there are necessary entities there may be one or more than one. And if they do exist then they might or might not be god - then we may (or may not) be in agreement.
If, however, he's stating that there is but one necessary entity and that it is within the universe, then that would be a pretty heretical form of Christianity. If he is allowing for the possibility  of other necessary entities ( non theistic), then I'd agree about the possibility. Modern physics certainly points towards certain phenomena as being non-contingent, but this is above my pay-grade. Doesn't seem to advance theism very far.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44706 on: January 13, 2023, 05:42:30 PM »
Vlad,

The same universe that you assert to be "necessarily" caused by something else
That cannot be since i've talked about two. One is the resultant of all the contingency and the Necessary entity and the other is the physical universe which is the summation of all contingent things.

You've talked about ''The universe as a whole'' and the emergence of pure necessity from the summation of all contingent things.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44707 on: January 13, 2023, 05:46:43 PM »
And now you're sounding like a Mormon. I'm trying to see how you can reconcile a 'necessary entity within the universe' with your (apparent) Anglican beliefs. Or are you saying you're a tentative panentheist?
(Just got a bit of unwanted autocorrect)
It is, although none of the clownshow have spotted it, dependent on what you mean by the universe. I have qualified that it is the physical universe which is contingent but you seemed pretty incontinent over finding possible heresy that you probably didn't notice.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44708 on: January 13, 2023, 05:55:03 PM »
Vlad,

There was no point. It was a natural reaction of human frustration over your Moderator: offensive insult removed. I retract the statement.

Charming. Spitting the dummy when you lose the argument isn’t a good look. You do know that right?

The observable universe does and since you propose there is more universe which it is possible to observe, i.e. the physical universe then that is contingent also by extension.

Love that “by extension”. So we’re back to black swans again then? Already? Really?

I have at all times factored in an unobservable universe in my statement that the necessary entity could exist in the universe.

Except of course that that would then detonate your “necessary entity” claim for “god”. The problem here remains that while (latterly at least) you have “factored in” that possibility, you immediately then flip-flop to a “necessary” god instead. And then back again. And then back again. And then…

Since you have stated in past that science could observe everything…

One of your biggest lies for a while (I’ve never said any such thing) but ok…

…you don't believe there is an unobservable universe...and since the observable universe is contingent, You must think that the universe is contingent. Here's your dilemma though Hillside, to you the universe is contingent but that would mean you agree with me and your parsec sized ego can't have that, can it Ha Ha.

Yeah, I get your desperation to shift the burden of proof again, but what I do or don’t think about the universe remains for this purpose entirely irrelevant. You on the other hand are the one who’s repeatedly claimed a “necessary” causal entity, albeit then switching to and fro between that and a “could be” causal entity.

I wonder where you’ll end up with that? Maybe you’ve invented Schrödinger's god?

irrelevant since the necessary entity is not subject to the laws we know and all physical things are subject to the same basic laws of physics.

Ooh – two unqualified assertions in a row. Good effort!

So wtf do you mean by the universe as a whole?

I mean by it exactly what you mean when you assert ‘the universe” to be necessarily contingent on something else. Oh wait – maybe it only could be contingent on something else. Oh wait – no, it’s definitely contingent on something else. Oh wait… (repeat ad infinitum).   
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 06:31:30 PM by Gordon »

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44709 on: January 13, 2023, 05:57:37 PM »
Before I get into that can I say that I am genuinely pleased you are here. By could be a necessary entity I say that it could be in the universe but it still must have the attributes of the Necessary entity because if it isn't necessary it must be (altogether now)

That is the name christians and others assign to him. Yes that is fair enough.

There are the abstract necessities but they are abstract. I am not saying there might not be the necessary entities and as there is a contingent physical universe there must be a necessary entity for it.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44710 on: January 13, 2023, 06:01:49 PM »
Vlad,

Tell you what – I'll make it even simpler for you. Do you think the universe is:

A. Necessarily contingent on something other than itself; or

B. Not necessarily contingent on something other than itself?

See? All you have to do now is to put either A or B.

Just think of all that effort of flip-flopping between the two that I've saved you.

You're welcome. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 06:11:09 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44711 on: January 13, 2023, 06:10:14 PM »
Vlad,

…and as there is a contingent physical universe…

Meaning:

A. The parts of the universe you have observed have been contingent; or

B. The universe itself is contingent?

If B, why do you think that?

God

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #44712 on: January 13, 2023, 06:13:27 PM »
It is, although none of the clownshow have spotted it, dependent on what you mean by the universe. I have qualified that it is the physical universe which is contingent but you seemed pretty incontinent over finding possible heresy that you probably didn't notice.
Oh, "Depends what you mean by the universe", is it? Well, I certainly don't mean an infinite succession of giant fucking turtles.
I don't give a monkeys about heresy, but it would be nice if at some point you made it more clear how your philosophical digressions relate to what you actually believe in.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 08:55:18 PM by Dicky Underpants »

Le Bon David

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44713 on: January 13, 2023, 06:25:23 PM »
Vlad,

Meaning:

A. The parts of the universe you have observed have been contingent; or

I've already discussed the ways in which I use the word universe. Whether we know what you mean by it is another matter.

I'm not here as a substitute for the people you used to question for a living Hillside so please don't expect my gracious response to all your posts 

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #44714 on: January 13, 2023, 07:46:12 PM »

It is reverse special pleading.

In Vlad's mind all he needs to claim is that:

God isn't contingent and

The universe is contingent

For it to be so.

News for Vlad - that's not how it works, you have to justify your assertions and argue your points cogently if you want anyone to take you seriously.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44715 on: January 13, 2023, 09:03:37 PM »
Vlad,

I've already discussed the ways in which I use the word universe.

That’s not what happened though is it. What happened is that you pitched up full of misplaced confidence to assert that “the universe” is “necessarily” contingent on something else, and moreover that that something else is something you call “god” that, without explanation, somehow does not have to be contingent of something else.

When pressed as to why you thought “the universe” was necessarily contingent on something else you made various references to how much contingent stuff there is in the observable universe. When as a rebuttal the fallacy of composition on which you were unwittingly relying was, after several attempts, explained to you you then decided that perhaps “the universe” could be its own explanation after all.

You then followed with more U-turns than a Swiss railway as you alternated between a “necessary” cause and a “could be” cause and, when that fell apart too, only then did you decide that by “the universe” you didn’t really mean “the universe” after all.

Fuck knows what you do now mean by “the universe” (and whatever it is doubtless that will fall apart too under examination) but, whatever it is, it seems to give no support at all to your opening assertion about a “necessary” god.         

Whether we know what you mean by it is another matter.

Oh, and along the way you threw in various other fallacies such as black swan deduction, some egregious straw men and, as here, the shifting of the burden of proof. What I mean by “the universe” it is neither here nor there – I’m content just to work with whatever you meant by it when you made your opening assertion about “the universe” necessarily being contingent on something else. Whatever you meant by “the universe” when you said it is what I mean by it for the purpose of dismantling your “argument”.

I'm not here as a substitute for the people you used to question for a living Hillside so please don't expect my gracious response to all your posts

You seem to me to be quite profoundly incapable of doing anything graciously, but in any case you have a long history here not of not replying to all my posts but of not replying to any of them – especially when you run out of road as here.

It’s ok though. Really it is. We know full well that you have no argument at all to justify your notion that “the universe” (whatever you mean by that) is necessarily contingent on something else, so that apologia for “god” can safely join the others you’ve tried and failed with over the years (“objective” morality, cosmological argument, the fine-tuning argument etc).   

Not sure whether you’re ready to give up the effort now but by all means, if you can think of an argument for “god” that you think won’t fall apart under scrutiny, give it a whirl here.

God

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #44716 on: January 13, 2023, 11:04:40 PM »
So you don't have any 'free will' as regards your belief in a god.
No one has free will in regard to the truth.
There is only one truth, and we all have the freedom to search for it.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #44717 on: January 13, 2023, 11:12:35 PM »

And sure enough there it is. Yet again you just assume that an independent “driver” is necessary, and then ascribe the same role to your conjecture “soul”. If you really want to try a car analogy nonetheless, you’d be better advised to think of a fully automated car with no driver, but enough interacting parts to get you safely from A to B.   

An automated car has no will of its own.  It has been programmed by the will of its creators (a good example of top down!)
Can you honestly compare yourself to an automated car  ???
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #44718 on: January 13, 2023, 11:50:13 PM »
No one has free will in regard to the truth.
There is only one truth, and we all have the freedom to search for it.
That makes no logical sense

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44719 on: January 14, 2023, 12:28:14 AM »
Please state what you mean by the ''universe as a whole''
The same universe that you assert

That is incorrect.

Please state what you mean by the ''universe as a whole''.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44720 on: January 14, 2023, 12:29:40 AM »
Vlad,

That’s not what happened though is it.
It is.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44721 on: January 14, 2023, 12:43:06 AM »
I have at all times factored in an unobservable universe in my statement that the necessary entity could exist in the universe.
Except of course that that would then detonate your “necessary entity” claim for “god”.
How would it? If you are saying that because God would then have to be physical, you undo your own suggestion that physical things can be Necessary entities.

A necessary God cannot be contingent. that's the main consideration. If that then renders other arguments or scenarios invalid then tough...on you since most of the scenarios have been originally suggested by you and Davey. Namely the universe as a whole(whatever that means) is the necessary entity or that it is contingent and necessary or way back that there is or could be no necessary entity just contingency.

If you wish to withdraw any of these suggestions feel free.

What is it that prevents you from reading up on the subject?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 12:46:04 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #44722 on: January 14, 2023, 09:24:07 AM »
A necessary God cannot be contingent.
Those six words include so many presumptions and circularity it beggars belief.

Surely if you assert that necessary entities cannot be contingent then you can replace 'god' with anything and it makes just as much sense, or rather just as little sense. So:

A necessary universe cannot be contingent
A necessary sub-atomic particle cannot be contingent
A necessary flying spaghetti monster cannot be contingent
A necessary invisible flying teapot cannot be contingent

torridon

« Reply #44723 on: January 14, 2023, 09:25:50 AM »
An automated car has no will of its own.  It has been programmed by the will of its creators (a good example of top down!)
Can you honestly compare yourself to an automated car  ???

But you need to factor in the fact that the car designer's mind evolved over billions of years, a consequence of blind undirected evolution.  Car designers do not just spontaneously pop into existence, they are complex beings that derive from simpler origins.  Top down design would run into an infinite regress of more complex things being needed to design the previous level of complexity.  Doesn't work as a general principle of logic.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #44724 on: January 14, 2023, 09:31:15 AM »
But you need to factor in the fact that the car designer's mind evolved over billions of years, a consequence of blind undirected evolution.  Car designers do not just spontaneously pop into existence, they are complex beings that derive from simpler origins.  Top down design would run into an infinite regress of more complex things being needed to design the previous level of complexity.  Doesn't work as a general principle of logic.
Spot on.