Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3746842 times)

ProfessorDavey

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #44750 on: January 18, 2023, 09:44:45 AM »
I'm not really because I'm not really.
I think that's supposed to be a joke Vlad. But based on your normal circularity of argument I just cannot be sure!

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #44751 on: January 18, 2023, 11:02:50 AM »
No he is indivisible since he is the necessary being. So when he is experienced as father, son and holy spirit it is the same God. Any 'differences' are not empirical differences or substantial as found in composite entities.

What are those "differences"?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44752 on: January 18, 2023, 11:09:10 AM »
AB,

You appear to presume that anything which turns up in reality must have emerged as a consequence of natural unguided forces - regardless of how complex, regardless of how impossible it would be to replicate, regardless of the fact that no one understands what it comprises or how it works.

“Presume” means “suppose that something is the case on the basis of probability” so as a general principle a naturalistic explanation for observed phenomena is a sensible premise to have, yes.

As for:

“regardless of how complex”

Yes. There’s nothing inherently problematic about complexity. (See below for fuller explanation.)

“regardless of how impossible it would be to replicate”

Theoretical physics comes up with all manner of explanations that are difficult or impossible for experimental physics to test. That doesn’t mean we should just junk the theories in favour of superstitions though. 

“regardless of the fact that no one understands what it comprises or how it works.”

No, that should be something like “regardless of the fact that the explanations we have are partial and subject to amendment” but again, so what? Why junk the possible picture when you only have some parts of the jig-saw in favour of a picture (“god”) with no parts of the jig-saw at all?   

Your problem is that you start from a premiss that there is nothing else but material elements acting according to the laws of physics, then you use your conscious freedom find reasons to shoe horn reality to fit in with this premiss…

No, I don’t “shoe horn” anything. What I actually do is to map my understanding of reality to the only verifiable method of investigation available to me. The irony here (which will be lost on you) is that “shoe horning” is precisely what you must do to bend the reality you observe to fit a theistic narrative for which there’s no evidence at all (eg prayers being “answered”).

- and in doing so you find that you have to deny the reality of your own gift of free thinking which you use to direct your own thoughts to come up with these reasons.

That’s not “the reality” at all for reasons that have been explained to you countless time without rebuttal; it’s just your personal reality, and it collapses under its own absence of evidence and deep contradictions as soon as you examine it. 

OK, you mentioned complexity earlier, which seems to be a particular hang up for you. If I explain to you again where you go wrong will you promise actually to address the explanation rather than just ignore it as you have before?

OK then…

…what you attempt here is a logical fallacy called circular reasoning – that is, you’re using your premise to justify your conclusion rather than rely on connecting logic to make your case – that is, your premise and your conclusion are the same. Before we get to your use of it, here’s a different example to get you started: “The Bible is the word of God because God says so in the Bible, therefore the Bible is the word of God…” etc.

Can you see why that fails as an argument?

OK, to your use of the same construction. You think that the complexity of the outcome “Alan Burns” occurring entirely naturally is so fantastically unlikely that it’s more likely that some intelligent guidance was necessary to make it that way, hence “God”. You also though assume that “Alan Burns” was the plan all along because God wanted it that way, so “God” is required for both your ab initio premise and for your conclusion – ie, your premise and your conclusion (“God”) are the same. And that’s circular reasoning.

Now re-set, and consider instead a universe that neither knew nor cared whether Alan Burns, three-headed aliens on Alpha Centauri or anything else appeared – no matter how complex any of them might have be. The process involved would have been natural and unguided, and there was nothing specially chosen about whatever it produced. That’s you. And me. And bonobos.

If it helps at all, consider a three-headed alien on Alpha Centauri for example that could have occurred that's self-aware and reasoning too, but not particularly thoughtful. Now imagine too that this alien reasoned that it was so fantastically unlikely that it could have occurred naturally that there must have been a god of the three-headed aliens to guide events in that direction. What would you make of his reasoning?       

Do you get it now?
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44753 on: January 18, 2023, 02:17:56 PM »
What are those "differences"?
The differences between God the father, God the son and God the Holy Spirit
as covered by the creeds of the early church.

First Council of Nicaea (325)   (First Council of Constantinople (381))
We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of all things visible and invisible.   We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, begotten of the Father [the only-begotten; that is, of the essence of the Father, God of God,] Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;   
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds (ćons), Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;

Vlad's note: Because of who they are trying to describe the creeds emerge as best metaphor or analogy. The aim was often to show what God wasn't. This part of the Creed is/was important since it shows that God is not composite, that there is no empirical difference, that there is no constructed part of God, no divine pacemaker and that God the son is not merely some divine appendage or part. Back to the creeds.

By whom all things were made [both in heaven and on earth];   by whom all things were made;
Who for us men, and for our salvation, came down and was incarnate and was made man;   who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Ghost and of the Virgin Mary, and was made man;
He suffered, and the third day he rose again, ascended into heaven;   he was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered, and was buried, and the third day he rose again, according to the Scriptures, and ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of the Father;
From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.   from thence he shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead;
whose kingdom shall have no end.
And in the Holy Ghost.   And in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of life, who proceedeth from the Father, who with the Father and the Son together is worshiped and glorified, who spake by the prophets.
In one holy catholic and apostolic Church; we acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; we look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

[But those who say: 'There was a time when he was not;' and 'He was not before he was made;' and 'He was made out of nothing,' or 'He is of another substance' or 'essence,' or 'The Son of God is created,' or 'changeable,' or 'alterable'— they are condemned by the holy catholic and apostolic Church.]

There we have it then, differences...but not empirical or substantial differences and so God is not a composite God nor a God of parts or appendages

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 02:31:04 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44754 on: January 18, 2023, 02:41:09 PM »
Vlad,

I hear that some people actually still believe this stuff too - amazing eh?

Anyway, given "And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, begotten of the Father [the only-begotten; that is, of the essence of the Father, God of God,] Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;" does that mean that in the story Dad was a god but a magic one so not contingent, whereas Jesus was also a god but he was a contingent one? What about the rest of the menagerie - angels: contingent or not contingent? Satan: contingent or not contingent? The talking snake?         

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44755 on: January 18, 2023, 03:01:45 PM »
Vlad,

I hear that some people actually still believe this stuff too - amazing eh?

Anyway, given "And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, begotten of the Father [the only-begotten; that is, of the essence of the Father, God of God,] Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;" does that mean that in the story Dad was a god but a magic one so not contingent, whereas Jesus was also a god but he was a contingent one? What about the rest of the menagerie - angels: contingent or not contingent? Satan: contingent or not contingent? The talking snake?       
Sebastian Toe pondered whether God was divisable into parts and I have replied that it was, right from early Christianity, the belief that he wasn't and that the creeds testify to that.

So not being proposed as composite but indivisible and of one substance, nature and essence without parts and not being made, one wonders how you considered such an entity to be replaceable with a composite universe. We know you mean a composite universe because you accused me of committing the fallacy of(Yes, you've guessed it) composition.

Talking snakes are silly but not as silly as a composite entity trying to be necessary entity manque. That would indeed be an act of herculean magicness.

It should be clear from the creeds mentioned that the divine Jesus was not made by an intelligence nor a natural process and being God is therefore Necessary.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 03:11:17 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44756 on: January 18, 2023, 03:15:53 PM »
Vlad,

Sebastian Toe pondered whether God was divisable into parts and I have replied that it was, right from early Christianity, the belief that he wasn't and that the creeds testify to that.

So not being proposed as composite but indivisible and of one substance, nature and essence without parts and not being made, one wonders how you considered such an entity to be replaceable with a composite universe.

Why does “one wonder’ that given that you still have all your work ahead of you to take you from fable to fact?

We know you mean a composite universe because you accused me of committing the fallacy of(Yes, you've guessed it) composition.

Yes, because on several occasions you referred me to lots of contingent stuff in the observable universe as somehow indicating that the universe itself must also be contingent therefore. Did you ever find a non-fallacious argument for the universe being necessarily contingent by the way?

Talking snakes are silly but not as silly as a composite entity trying to be necessary entity manque. That would indeed be an act of herculean magicness.

Why?

It should be clear from the creeds mentioned that Jesus was not made by an intelligence nor a natural process and being God is therefore Necessary.

Leaving aside for now that the Creeds are descriptions of beliefs rather than facts, “the Son of God, begotten of the Father [the only-begotten; that is, of the essence of the Father” sounds like the Jesus character of the story would have been pretty contingent don’t you think?

By the way, it sounds as though you’ve now abandoned “the universe could have been its own explanation”. Is that right? 

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44757 on: January 18, 2023, 03:23:38 PM »
Vlad,

Why does “one wonder’ that given that you still have all your work ahead of you to take you from fable to fact?
You seem to be saying God is a Fable. Positive assertion, you know what to do.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #44758 on: January 18, 2023, 03:24:52 PM »

Basically some blokes got together to decide the nature of their god.
There is absolutely no way they got it wrong in any part?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44759 on: January 18, 2023, 03:31:27 PM »
Vlad,

You seem to be saying God is a Fable. Positive assertion, you know what to do.

No, you asserted that “god” is a fact (“one wonders how you considered such an entity to be replaceable with a composite universe”).

I considered no such thing for the obvious reason that you’ve given me no good reason to think there is “such an entity”.   

Oh, and as you just ignored the question: have you now abandoned your “the universe could be its own explanation” option so you have no further need to flip-flop between the “could be” and the “necessary entity”?

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44760 on: January 18, 2023, 03:44:23 PM »
To me it suggests the necessary entity status of God centuries before. Aquinas thought to create his set of apologetics.
Since these are not empirical attributes being capable of being measured, in what way could they be wrong? Hillside seems to have reacted in a ''pah, it's all just a story'' way IMHO but that's immediately dismissive.

The Bishops and representatives at Nicea were trained, educated and brought up in the greek ways of thinking. I think philosophy at one time had the status of football at one time there were other ways of looking at Jesus at this time Adoptionism, Modalism, Spiritism, Holy Hologrammism (Not actually called that but some believed he was a projection.)

So for me the creeds very much give a clue to the nature of God and were later fulfilled in Aquinas arguments.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #44761 on: January 18, 2023, 03:47:25 PM »

First Council of Nicaea (325)   (First Council of Constantinople (381))
We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of all things visible and invisible.   We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, begotten of the Father [the only-begotten; that is, of the essence of the Father, God of God,] Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;   
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds (ćons), Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;

Vlad's note: Because of who they are trying to describe the creeds emerge as best metaphor or analogy. The aim was often to show what God wasn't. This part of the Creed is/was important since it shows that God is not composite, that there is no empirical difference, that there is no constructed part of God, no divine pacemaker and that God the son is not merely some divine appendage or part. Back to the creeds.

By whom all things were made [both in heaven and on earth];   by whom all things were made;
Who for us men, and for our salvation, came down and was incarnate and was made man;   who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Ghost and of the Virgin Mary, and was made man;
He suffered, and the third day he rose again, ascended into heaven;   he was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered, and was buried, and the third day he rose again, according to the Scriptures, and ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of the Father;
From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.   from thence he shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead;
whose kingdom shall have no end.
And in the Holy Ghost.   And in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of life, who proceedeth from the Father, who with the Father and the Son together is worshiped and glorified, who spake by the prophets.
In one holy catholic and apostolic Church; we acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; we look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

[But those who say: 'There was a time when he was not;' and 'He was not before he was made;' and 'He was made out of nothing,' or 'He is of another substance' or 'essence,' or 'The Son of God is created,' or 'changeable,' or 'alterable'— they are condemned by the holy catholic and apostolic Church.]

There we have it then, differences...but not empirical or substantial differences and so God is not a composite God nor a God of parts or appendages

What! No mention of Filioque? The Holy Spirit proceedeth from the Father, but not from the Son (the creed as given above) ... that suggests a significant difference, if not an empirical one. (Don't know how empiricism could ever be brought to bear on these fantastical speculations, but no doubt those learned gentlemen of yesteryear thought they were saying something significant)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 03:56:05 PM by Dicky Underpants »
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #44762 on: January 18, 2023, 03:50:07 PM »

As I mentioned to Vlad, there was the Filioque clause, which was one of the major reasons for the Great Schism between Catholic and Orthodox.  Words eh? Shows you've got to be very careful with them. They can bring down a civilisation.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44763 on: January 18, 2023, 03:53:04 PM »
Vlad,

No, you asserted that “god” is a fact (“one wonders how you considered such an entity to be replaceable with a composite universe”).

I considered no such thing for the obvious reason that you’ve given me no good reason to think there is “such an entity”.   

Oh, and as you just ignored the question: have you now abandoned your “the universe could be its own explanation” option so you have no further need to flip-flop between the “could be” and the “necessary entity”?
I think I have said I cannot empirically demonstrate what I know spiritually. I have given a reasoned and logical argument for God.

You, on the other hand have suggested that God is a fable. You know what you have to do.

Whether you do is dependent on whether you are trying to put me back on the path of
Atheist righteousness or whether you are trying to defend the type of atheism that doesn't try too hard to understand those of a different opinion.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44764 on: January 18, 2023, 03:55:48 PM »
As I mentioned to Vlad, there was the Filioque clause, which was one of the major reasons for the Great Schism between Catholic and Orthodox.  Words eh? Shows you've got to be very careful with them. They can bring down a civilisation.
I don't think filioque is relevant to whether God has parts whether you exclude it, include it or append it, but that's me.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #44765 on: January 18, 2023, 03:58:08 PM »
I don't think filioque is relevant to whether God has parts whether you exclude it, include it or append it, but that's me.

Is there a White Nile and a Blue Nile, or just The Nile?

Le Bon David

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44766 on: January 18, 2023, 04:00:05 PM »
Vlad,

To me it suggests the necessary entity status of God centuries before. Aquinas thought to create his set of apologetics.
Since these are not empirical attributes being capable of being measured, in what way could they be wrong? Hillside seems to have reacted in a ''pah, it's all just a story'' way IMHO but that's immediately dismissive.

Er, Hillside actually just responded to your “one wonders how you considered such an entity to be replaceable with a composite universe” with the not unreasonable point that I considered no such thing given that I have no reason to treat this “entity” as anything other than a character in a story. The rest was just you getting the burden of proof backwards (as ever).

Any news by the way on whether you’ve now settled on your necessary entity position and, if you have, on how you intend to demonstrate that the universe is therefore necessarily contingent on something else?     

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44767 on: January 18, 2023, 04:12:29 PM »
Vlad,

I think I have said I cannot empirically demonstrate what I know spiritually.

Wow – that “know” (rather than just “believe”) is a big and unqualified claim. How would you propose to demonstrate the difference between “spiritual knowing” and just guessing about stuff?

I have given a reasoned and logical argument for God.

Not on this or on the old BBC board you haven’t – or at least none that haven’t been readily falsified.

You, on the other hand have suggested that God is a fable. You know what you have to do.

Actually what I suggested is that you’ve failed to establish that it isn’t a fable (“Why does “one wonder’ that given that you still have all your work ahead of you to take you from fable to fact?”)

It’d help if you stop misrepresenting that. 

Whether you do is dependent on whether you are trying to put me back on the path of Atheist righteousness or whether you are trying to defend the type of atheism that doesn't try too hard to understand those of a different opinion.

Is there a  coherent thought in there somewhere trying to get out?

Your problem here isn’t that I don’t understand your “different opinion”, it’s that you continually overreach by treating your opinion as a fact without the hard yards needed to demonstrate any such thing.     

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44768 on: January 18, 2023, 04:12:48 PM »
Is there a White Nile and a Blue Nile, or just The Nile?
I'm in De Nile.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44769 on: January 18, 2023, 04:14:15 PM »
Vlad,

I'm in De Nile.

You said it.

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44770 on: January 18, 2023, 04:17:08 PM »
Vlad,

Wow – that “know” (rather than just “believe”) is a big and unqualified claim. How would you propose to demonstrate the difference between “spiritual knowing” and just guessing about stuff?
I don't propose to. You can continue to equate the two if you wish
Actually what I suggested is that you’ve failed to establish that it isn’t a fable (“Why does “one wonder’ that given that you still have all your work ahead of you to take you from fable to fact?”)

You are the one suggesting it is a fable. You know therefore what you have to do.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44771 on: January 18, 2023, 04:18:19 PM »
Vlad,

You said it.
No, I typed it. Since you asserted I said it, you know what you have to do.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44772 on: January 18, 2023, 04:32:20 PM »
Vlad,

I don't propose to. You can continue to equate the two if you wish

Then why would you expect your unqualified assertions of “spiritual knowing” to be taken seriously by anyone else?

Come to think of it, with no means of validation why would you take them seriously too?

You are the one suggesting it is a fable. You know therefore what you have to do.

Of course I think it’s a fable for the same reason you think Goldilocks and the Three Bears is a fable – now try to demonstrate that there were no G and the TBs though (you know what you have to do). That’s not the point though – the point is that you reified the story to a fact (“one wonders how you considered such an entity to be replaceable with a composite universe” – what “entity” would that be then?) and when I explained to you your mistake (“Why does “one wonder’ that given that you still have all your work ahead of you to take you from fable to fact?”) you tried your old burden if proof switcheroo on me.

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #44773 on: January 18, 2023, 04:33:12 PM »
Vlad,

No, I typed it. Since you asserted I said it, you know what you have to do.

Weird.

God

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #44774 on: January 18, 2023, 04:38:46 PM »
Since these are not empirical attributes being capable of being measured, in what way could they be wrong?
Well the Unitarians did and still do argue that they got at least one bit wrong.
In fact our own Sassy would and in fact did  quote chapters and verses from your bible to "prove it"!
Albert Einstein