Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3750055 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #45275 on: March 11, 2023, 04:30:13 PM »
One mistake which was supposed to have been corrected is by their belief that Jesus was not God incarnate; another that he did not die on the cross.

Yes I suppose it comes down to do I believe God's ultimate word is the document written by someone several centuries ago who believes a document written by several people mistaken over several translations......or do I believe Christ whom I have encountered?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45276 on: March 11, 2023, 04:33:03 PM »
Vlad,

1. No-one here gets to decide who replies to their Replies.

2. When your attempts at replies are littered with mistakes and fallacies you can't complain when they're pointed out to you.

3. So far as I know Seb thinks that claims of "revelations" are all bollocks regardless of which traditions make them.
Yes you are right what I should have said was butt out if you haven't got anything sensible to say...........oh.....you haven't.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #45277 on: March 11, 2023, 04:47:46 PM »
AB,

Yes you are. That’s all you do.

First you’ve shifted ground here from “impossibility” to “improbability”.

Second, very improbable things happen all the time. Try dealing a randomly shuffled deck of cards for example – that exact sequence of 52 cards is fantastically unlikely to occur again, yet there it is nonetheless.

So what?
How can you possibly compare the probability of randomly shuffled cards coming out in sequence to the probability of physically driven subconscious brain activity coming up with rationally thought out conclusions ???
I understand emergent properties much better than you do Alan, certainly enough to know that the term is anything but a “meaningless label”. Emergence is an academically well-studied and well-understood phenomenon that we see pretty much everywhere we look when you know what to look for. There are books about it if you could be bothered to read them.
It is a meaningless label in the context of using it as an explanation of conscious awareness.
All the examples of emergence you quote comprise well understood functionality of what emerges which can easily be replicated in material terms.  The functionality of conscious awareness does not exist in material terms and is impossible to replicate.
Not if “awareness of a reaction” is just consciousness at work, and if consciousness is itself an emergent phenomenon as neuroscience suggests it likely is. You’re just trying yet another unqualified assertion here with no reasoning or logic at all to justify it.     
As indicated above, no one has been able to demonstrate awareness of reactions outside the human mind - because no one can define what awareness comprises in material terms.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 04:57:44 PM by Alan Burns »
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #45278 on: March 11, 2023, 04:53:46 PM »

Yes I suppose it comes down to do I believe God's ultimate word is the document written by someone several centuries ago who believes a document written by several people mistaken over several translations......or do I believe Christ whom I have encountered?
Have you questioned yourself to the ultimate on that encounter? Overwhelming experiences of this kind are not uncommon, but the details of their interpretation differ hugely. From what we understand of the culture of indigenous Amazonian tribes, they relate numerous mind--shattering experiences, but are there any reports of them having met Christ without having previously being indoctrinated with Christian beliefs?
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45279 on: March 11, 2023, 05:24:44 PM »
Have you questioned yourself to the ultimate on that encounter? Overwhelming experiences of this kind are not uncommon, but the details of their interpretation differ hugely. From what we understand of the culture of indigenous Amazonian tribes, they relate numerous mind--shattering experiences, but are there any reports of them having met Christ without having previously being indoctrinated with Christian beliefs?
Yes after conversion a lot of Christians are automatically exposed to various doubts about whether it is true or not but seem to be sustained in their early faith by a sense of closeness to Christ.

I have been exposed to you lot on here to the max and yet have not been swayed by either your agnostic solutions nor your behavioural example.

On the other hand if your gods are really personified natural forces I could see how modern atheism might be a good way to transition into the secular materialistic world.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 05:27:19 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #45280 on: March 11, 2023, 05:46:53 PM »

I have been exposed to you lot on here to the max and yet have not been swayed by either your agnostic solutions nor your behavioural example.
Conversely, this "lot" has been exposed to you on here to the max and yet have not been swayed by either your Christian solutions nor your behavioural example.

::)
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45281 on: March 11, 2023, 06:19:52 PM »
Conversely, this "lot" has been exposed to you on here to the max and yet have not been swayed by either your Christian solutions nor your behavioural example.

::)
I cannot "Bear anyone again" as it were that is between you and God. However if we didn't realise it, we al write here publicly, So who knows eh, who knows?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45282 on: March 11, 2023, 07:11:50 PM »
AB,

How can you possibly compare the probability of randomly shuffled cards coming out in sequence to the probability of physically driven subconscious brain activity coming up with rationally thought out conclusions 

Easily – it’s your failure to comprehend the sheer enormity of very large numbers that’s letting you down here.

First, let’s correct your terminology (again): “physically driven" is wrong – it implies a driver or some such, when all that’s necessary here is a naturalistic model for consciousness.

Second, you have no idea how improbable naturally occurring consciousness is. Nor have I. Let’s agree though that it’s a very improbable (though also perhaps not as improbable as you might think – even a trillion-to-one against event that has an opportunity to occur a trillion times will give you a probability of 1, and in any case the only necessary a priori outcome for consciousness would be single-cell life, on which evolution could then do it’s thing) but anyway, let’s agree that it’s very improbable in any case – in the trillions to one against range perhaps.   

Still with me? Ok then…

Now consider how many possible combinations of 52 randomly dealt cards there are. It’s a big number. Really, really, really big. That number is called “52 factorial”, and it’s written like this: 52!

OK, so how big is 52! then I hear you ask. This is what it looks like written in full:

Big eh? As it’s so hard to conceptualise though, try this:

“This number is beyond astronomically large. I say beyond astronomically large because most numbers that we already consider to be astronomically large are mere infinitesimal fractions of this number. So, just how large is it? Let's try to wrap our puny human brains around the magnitude of this number with a fun little theoretical exercise. Start a timer that will count down the number of seconds from 52! to 0. We're going to see how much fun we can have before the timer counts down all the way.

Start by picking your favorite spot on the equator. You're going to walk around the world along the equator, but take a very leisurely pace of one step every billion years. The equatorial circumference of the Earth is 40,075,017 meters. Make sure to pack a deck of playing cards, so you can get in a few trillion hands of solitaire between steps. After you complete your round the world trip, remove one drop of water from the Pacific Ocean.

Now do the same thing again: walk around the world at one billion years per step, removing one drop of water from the Pacific Ocean each time you circle the globe. The Pacific Ocean contains 707.6 million cubic kilometers of water. Continue until the ocean is empty. When it is, take one sheet of paper and place it flat on the ground. Now, fill the ocean back up and start the entire process all over again, adding a sheet of paper to the stack each time you've emptied the ocean.

Do this until the stack of paper reaches from the Earth to the Sun. Take a glance at the timer, you will see that the three left-most digits haven't even changed. You still have 8.063e67 more seconds to go. 1 Astronomical Unit, the distance from the Earth to the Sun, is defined as 149,597,870.691 kilometers. So, take the stack of papers down and do it all over again. One thousand times more. Unfortunately, that still won't do it. There are still more than 5.385e67 seconds remaining. You're just about a third of the way done.

To pass the remaining time, start shuffling your deck of cards. Every billion years deal yourself a 5-card poker hand. Each time you get a royal flush, buy yourself a lottery ticket. A royal flush occurs in one out of every 649,740 hands. If that ticket wins the jackpot, throw a grain of sand into the Grand Canyon. Keep going and when you've filled up the canyon with sand, remove one ounce of rock from Mt. Everest. Now empty the canyon and start all over again. When you've leveled Mt. Everest, look at the timer, you still have 5.364e67 seconds remaining. Mt. Everest weighs about 357 trillion pounds. You barely made a dent. If you were to repeat this 255 times, you would still be looking at 3.024e64 seconds. The timer would finally reach zero sometime during your 256th attempt. Exercise for the reader: at what point exactly would the timer reach zero?”

https://boingboing.net/2017/03/02/how-to-imagine-52-factorial.html#:~:text=Similarly%2C%20Scott%20Czepiel%20has%20a,number%20is%20beyond%20astronomically%20large

Now can you see how easy it is to “compare the probability of randomly shuffled cards coming out in a particular sequence to the probability of physically driven naturalistic subconscious brain activity coming up with rationally thought out conclusion “? As you now accept that it’s improbable rather than impossible, can you now see that he odds against any specific sequence of 52 cards being dealt randomly are likely many, many times greater than the odds against consciousness emerging, probably over and over and over (and etc etc) again?

And yet deal a deck of cards randomly now and there in front of you will be a sequence of 52 cards whose improbability is so fast that it’s almost impossible to comprehend.

Do you get it now?     

It is a meaningless label in the context of using it as an explanation of conscious awareness.

All the examples of emergence you quote comprise well understood functionality of what emerges which can easily be replicated in material terms.The functionality of conscious awareness does not exist in material terms and is impossible to replicate.

Yet again, you’re telling me what you think but not why you think it. These statement are called assertions or declarations, but not arguments – there’s simply nothing there to justify them

Why not finally then attempt at least to give me a “why rather than only a “what”?

What’s stopping you?

As indicated above, no one has been able to demonstrate awareness of reactions outside the human mind - because no one can define what awareness comprises in material terms.

That may or may not be true, but it’s irrelevant in any case. There are lots of well-understood phenomena we can’t replicate in a lab, but that doesn’t mean we have to resort therefore to magic thinking as our alternative. 

Try to understand this. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 10:29:02 AM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

torridon

« Reply #45283 on: March 11, 2023, 08:51:04 PM »

So you had an encounter with the supreme being ? Can you provide any reason why anyone should take such fantastical claims seriously ?  Did you come away with any evidence of this that you could share ?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45284 on: March 11, 2023, 10:36:10 PM »
So you had an encounter with the supreme being ? Can you provide any reason why anyone should take such fantastical claims seriously ?  Did you come away with any evidence of this that you could share ?
I had an encounter with a couple of policemen once.
Is it beyond possibility that I would have no evidence of that either?
Why should God leave physical evidence? In fact there are reasons why he wouldn't.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #45285 on: March 11, 2023, 11:33:22 PM »

If it just was a passing encounter on the street then, other than memories, there may well be no evidence - however the evidence for there being policemen is fairly compelling and encountering one would be unremarkable. Indeed, one of my son's friends, a lad I have know for over 30 years, is a policeman.

Why should God leave physical evidence? In fact there are reasons why he wouldn't.

Do tell.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45286 on: March 12, 2023, 07:44:21 AM »
If it just was a passing encounter on the street then, other than memories, there may well be no evidence - however the evidence for there being policemen is fairly compelling and encountering one would be unremarkable. Indeed, one of my son's friends, a lad I have know for over 30 years, is a policeman.

Do tell.
But Torridon's doubt seems to be based on The unlikely ness of encountering the supreme being. I want to know why he thinks that should be the case.

I'm well aware of the demand for physical evidence but my question would be how would the necessary entity possibly leave  physical evidence?

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #45287 on: March 12, 2023, 08:06:16 AM »

I'm well aware of the demand for physical evidence but my question would be how would the necessary entity possibly leave  physical evidence?
Maybe you should direct that query at AB.
After all it is he that asserts that God must have "intervened" somehow in the evolution of humans because as it should be obvious to all that it is "impossible" that randomness alone has resulted in our existence.
Surely you must agree with that?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #45288 on: March 12, 2023, 08:08:03 AM »
....oh and he cured AB's friend of cancer! That can't not be a physical event surely, can it?
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45289 on: March 12, 2023, 08:34:21 AM »
Maybe you should direct that query at AB.
After all it is he that asserts that God must have "intervened" somehow in the evolution of humans because as it should be obvious to all that it is "impossible" that randomness alone has resulted in our existence.
Surely you must agree with that?
AB isn't asking for physical evidence for the supreme being. Gordon is.

torridon

« Reply #45290 on: March 12, 2023, 08:42:14 AM »

We have evidence for policemen.  We have photos; we have footage, all good evidence that they exist.  Many of us here have probably had encounters with them in our misspent youth.  So a claim that you encountered a policeman is not remarkable.

Not so with universal supreme beings though.  We have no objective evidence, therefore the claim is remarkable.

Fantastical claims require fantastical evidence, so they say.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #45291 on: March 12, 2023, 08:47:19 AM »
AB isn't asking for physical evidence for the supreme being. Gordon is.
AB is offering the physical evidence.
If only you would believe him.
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45292 on: March 12, 2023, 08:48:33 AM »
....oh and he cured AB's friend of cancer! That can't not be a physical event surely, can it?
Of course it's a physical event. God isn't physical.
God is at the base of all contingent hierarchies though so intervention in any of them is not an impossibility IMV.

Alan is claiming discernment of God's presence in this event.

In my opinion Some atheists discern God's presence in the notion of the necessary entity and tend to dodge it at a stage before the conversation turns to God. Both Alan's and atheist response are examples of discernment.
I speak as a former Goddodger.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45293 on: March 12, 2023, 08:55:51 AM »

Fantastical claims require fantastical evidence, so they say.
Do you mean FANTASTIC evidence?

I think it's claims require evidence. Since the fantastical nature is in the pervue of the person asking the evidence.In other words your sentence is a subjective.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #45294 on: March 12, 2023, 08:58:18 AM »
Of course it's a physical event. God isn't physical.
God is at the base of all contingent hierarchies though so intervention in any of them is not an impossibility IMV.
And how would an intervention manifest itself?
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45295 on: March 12, 2023, 09:05:28 AM »
And how would an intervention manifest itself?
er, as a physical event? It would also result in God being as they say Glorified I.e.praised and thanked, it may result in conversion, in increased faith and understanding of God's attributes.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #45296 on: March 12, 2023, 09:21:07 AM »

my question would be how would the necessary entity possibly leave  physical evidence?

er, as a physical event?

So in conclusion as far as I can see from your own statements, God as non physical entity can cause physical events to happen and therefore has left physical evidence of his existence.
Your original question is "how".
Do you know "how" he does it, after all there would be little point in asking Gordon that question, would there?
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45297 on: March 12, 2023, 09:36:38 AM »

So in conclusion as far as I can see from your own statements, God as non physical entity can cause physical events to happen and therefore has left physical evidence of his existence.
Your original question is "how".
Do you know "how" he does it, after all there would be little point in asking Gordon that question, would there?
God is at the bottom of contingent hierarchies being the necessary entity on which all contingencies depend.for their physical existence or EVENTuality.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #45298 on: March 12, 2023, 09:42:49 AM »
God is at the bottom of contingent hierarchies being the necessary entity on which all contingencies depend.for their physical existence or EVENTuality.
..but HOW does he do it?
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45299 on: March 12, 2023, 10:21:59 AM »
..but HOW does he do it?
Sorry, not sure how what I put doesn't at least partly answer that question?