Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3751505 times)

Outrider

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #45575 on: March 29, 2023, 11:35:17 AM »
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #45576 on: March 29, 2023, 12:56:30 PM »
How dare I question question the validity of evolution theory?  Yes, green frogs do survive better than white frogs in a forest - and of course this can explain how any amount of specific complexity found in nature can be generated by unguided, random, inherently destructive forces.  Just as any amount of human reasoning, logical deduction and creativity can be generated by unguided sub conscious brain activity with no need for conscious control.   ::)
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45577 on: March 29, 2023, 01:03:50 PM »
AB,

How dare I question question the validity of evolution theory?

You’re welcome to question anything. What you shouldn’t do though is to straw man it, and then criticise your straw man… 

Yes, green frogs do survive better than white frogs in a forest - and of course this can explain how any amount of specific complexity found in nature can be generated by unguided, random, inherently destructive forces…

...like this.

Just as any amount of human reasoning, logical deduction and creativity can be generated by unguided sub conscious brain activity with no need for conscious control.

Have you any reason to think it can’t be?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 01:49:13 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #45578 on: March 29, 2023, 02:06:57 PM »
What on earth do you mean by "Evolution is still regarded as a theory" ?

Evolution is a scientific theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

You just don't learn, do you?  ::)
Quite amazing that someone who claims to have a PhD (which should indicate some level of education, if not rational thought) still doesn't understand what a Theory is in scientific terminology.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45579 on: March 29, 2023, 02:29:13 PM »
Hi Dicky,

Quite amazing that someone who claims to have a PhD (which should indicate some level of education, if not rational thought) still doesn't understand what a Theory is in scientific terminology.

Yes, despite his claim to some academic credentials I do sometimes wonder whether if ever he ordered new turf it would have to come with a sign saying “Green Side Up”…

As he rarely posts a reply without at least one error in reasoning I also find it highly discourteous that he just ignores the corrections he’s given and the repeats exactly the same mistakes further down the line. He could for example now say something like, “Ah, I see now where I went wrong with my comment about scientific theory. Thanks for correcting me – I’ll try not to make the same mistake again”.

He won’t though.     

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #45580 on: March 29, 2023, 02:46:38 PM »
Will be interested to see AB's response here.

Alan Burns

« Reply #45581 on: March 29, 2023, 03:34:33 PM »
Have you any reason to think it can’t be?
Because I can think
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45582 on: March 29, 2023, 04:15:09 PM »
AB,

Because I can think

So that's a "no" then. After all theses times of endlessly repeating here WHAT you think but never WHY you think it with a justifying argument that's all you have to say: "I think it's true because I think it's true".

Mindless vapidity is just mindless vapidity no matter how many times you repeat it. You really should have realised this by now.     
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 05:40:16 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45583 on: March 29, 2023, 04:33:14 PM »
NS,

Will be interested to see AB's response here.

I'd settle in for a long wait if I were you...

God

torridon

« Reply #45584 on: March 29, 2023, 04:37:36 PM »
It's OK, we've got cheese now

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #45585 on: March 29, 2023, 05:43:42 PM »
Because I can think

But there is room for improvement.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #45586 on: March 29, 2023, 06:11:31 PM »
our consciously driven abilities to perform rational thinking and make logical deductions.
If you were hypnotised to run around shouting at the top of your voice, "souls are a figment of my imagination" upon hearing someone, anyone asking "Alan, are souls real?"
Where would your rational thinking, logical deductions and especially your conscious control, be?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Maeght

« Reply #45587 on: March 29, 2023, 06:49:42 PM »
How dare I question question the validity of evolution theory?  Yes, green frogs do survive better than white frogs in a forest - and of course this can explain how any amount of specific complexity found in nature can be generated by unguided, random, inherently destructive forces.  Just as any amount of human reasoning, logical deduction and creativity can be generated by unguided sub conscious brain activity with no need for conscious control.   ::)

You are free to question it. That is all part of science, but you need to provide some evidence for your position to be taken seriously. Evidence is lacking - assertions abound!

Alan Burns

« Reply #45588 on: March 30, 2023, 07:48:36 AM »
AB,

So that's a "no" then. After all theses times of endlessly repeating here WHAT you think but never WHY you think it with a justifying argument that's all you have to say: "I think it's true because I think it's true".

Mindless vapidity is just mindless vapidity no matter how many times you repeat it. You really should have realised this by now.   
You address me on the one hand as if I am personally accountable for my own thoughts, then postulate that my thoughts are all pre determined by sub conscious brain activity before they emerge into my conscious awareness.  Which is it to be?

Outrider

« Reply #45589 on: March 30, 2023, 09:27:40 AM »
How dare I question question the validity of evolution theory?

Science is built on the premise that you can question the orthodoxy, but it also requires you to have a basis for that challenge. You can't just go 'I don't like that conclusion' and therefore think that decades of carefully corroborated research has suddenly somehow become invalid.

Yes, green frogs do survive better than white frogs in a forest - and of course this can explain how any amount of specific complexity found in nature can be generated by unguided, random, inherently destructive forces.

I'd like to think that you're being facetious, but given your inability to grasp the basics of logical fallacies there's always the outside chance that you think this is an accurate description of the neo-Darwinian Theory of Evolution. To be clear, the Theory of Evolution (which is, even at its basis, significantly more complex than you've represented here) is our best explanation for how the OBSERVED PROCESS OF EVOLUTION occurs. Evolution itself is not a theory, it is a phenomenon which has been observed in nature, repeatedly.

Just as any amount of human reasoning, logical deduction and creativity can be generated by unguided sub conscious brain activity with no need for conscious control.   ::)

That seems likely but has not been demonstrated with the same rigour that the Theory of Evolution has. Perhaps, if you've a basis for thinking that's not possible, you should write up your basis for that so we get something more than 'but I'm not comfortable with that conclusion' which is all that you've presented here.

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Outrider

« Reply #45590 on: March 30, 2023, 09:31:18 AM »
Because I can think

As with so much else that you post, you've claimed this but not presented any evidence to support the claim... ::)

O.

Alan Burns

« Reply #45591 on: March 30, 2023, 10:14:09 AM »
Science is built on the premise that you can question the orthodoxy, but it also requires you to have a basis for that challenge. You can't just go 'I don't like that conclusion' and therefore think that decades of carefully corroborated research has suddenly somehow become invalid.
No amount of research can corroborate the ultimate source of every beneficial mutation involved in the process of evolution.
I'd like to think that you're being facetious, but given your inability to grasp the basics of logical fallacies there's always the outside chance that you think this is an accurate description of the neo-Darwinian Theory of Evolution. To be clear, the Theory of Evolution (which is, even at its basis, significantly more complex than you've represented here) is our best explanation for how the OBSERVED PROCESS OF EVOLUTION occurs. Evolution itself is not a theory, it is a phenomenon which has been observed in nature, repeatedly.
I admit that my wording was a bit flippant, but what I am questioning is the bland presumption that any amount of the highly complex and specific complexity found in life forms, and particularly in human life, can have been generated by the crude natural selection process based on random mutations.  Is there no limit to what can be achieved by such a "trial and error" methodology?  It is not that I do not like the outcome, it is a question of realistic probability.  There has to be a finite number of possible mutations, and there is a finite time over which the selection process can take place.  It is not possible to get realistic probabilities for it all to happen through random unguided events, but we can speculate on how feasible such a scenario would be.  I know of several highly qualified scientists who have had the courage to raise such questions - and had to suffer unwarranted ridicule and character assassination for doing so.  It is a valid question.
That seems likely but has not been demonstrated with the same rigour that the Theory of Evolution has. Perhaps, if you've a basis for thinking that's not possible, you should write up your basis for that so we get something more than 'but I'm not comfortable with that conclusion' which is all that you've presented here.
Surely the demonstration of our ability to have conscious control of our thought processes lies with the outcome.  It is a mystery to me how anyone can presume that their ability to contemplate facts and draw validated conclusions can all occur in their subconscious without any form of conscious control.  Even this act of presumption would have to be consciously driven.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 10:16:18 AM by Alan Burns »

Outrider

« Reply #45592 on: March 30, 2023, 10:57:14 AM »
No amount of research can corroborate the ultimate source of every beneficial mutation involved in the process of evolution.

Why? Unless we develop some sort of time-travel I don't know that we'll ever be able to specifically document every instance of beneficial mutation, but the process is conceptually valid, as made predictions which have been substantiated and still holds true. Why can the theory not explain how we've arrived at this point over billions of years of evolutionary development?

I admit that my wording was a bit flippant, but what I am questioning is the bland presumption that any amount of the highly complex and specific complexity found in life forms, and particularly in human life, can have been generated by the crude natural selection process based on random mutations.

Bland presumption? Quite apart from that rather judgemental 'bland' - there is nothing 'bland' about the simultaneous simplicity of the mechanism and vast wealth of variety that it produces - I reiterate that this is not a presumption. It's a deduction from the available evidence, which has been supported by one of the most comprehensive and rigorous sets of evidence that we have in the scientific communities. Natural selection, as a process, is not 'crude' - it's simple, but given that it can produce not only a human species capable of causing long term climatoligical changes on a planetary scale, but also communicable bacteria that could potentially wipe out that human species in a matter of weeks, it is far from 'crude'.

Is there no limit to what can be achieved by such a "trial and error" methodology?

In the short term, innumerable limits. In the long-term, who knows?

It is not that I do not like the outcome, it is a question of realistic probability.

If you want to revert to probability then you need to show your working, but I already suspect that whilst you might have an accurate grasp of the chances of a neutral or beneficial mutation occuring in any particular reproductive cycle, I suspect that you vastly underestimate the number of those reproductive cycles that occur over the billions of years that we're considering.

There has to be a finite number of possible mutations, and there is a finite time over which the selection process can take place.

There have been a finite number of mutations take place, from a larger (but, yes, still finite) set of potential mutations. Yes there is finite time - consider, though, that bacteria reproduce in some instances on an hourly basis. Over 3.7 billion years that's an unfathomable number of opportunities for one bacterium, but now we have to consider billions of bacteria of each species. Billions of years of billions of hours for billions of species... People are exceptionally poor at comprehending very large numbers, and at intuiting chance, and combining the two is just a recipe for mistakes.

It is not possible to get realistic probabilities for it all to happen through random unguided events, but we can speculate on how feasible such a scenario would be.  I know of several highly qualified scientists who have had the courage to raise such questions - and had to suffer unwarranted ridicule and character assassination for doing so.

You've just explained why. You can't claim that you're doing science if your premise is 'I don't have the data to support this personal incredulity'. They can be eminent scientists as much as they like, but that stops when they stop doing science, at which point they're just as fallible as the rest of us.

It is a valid question.

It is, yes. But when the answer is 'there's nothing to suggest that the established explanation is wrong' your response is to believe that your intuition trumps centuries of parallel research by thousands of the most rigorously fact-checked scientists across the world.

Surely the demonstration of our ability to have conscious control of our thought processes lies with the outcome.

Surely the demonstration of the limitations of human self-awareness show that your 'demonstration' is at best questionable. The unavoidable subjective understanding of our own experience is an unreliable indicator, and when it's objectively studied it is only shown consistently to become even less reliable.

It is a mystery to me how anyone can presume that their ability to contemplate facts and draw validated conclusions can all occur in their subconscious without any form of conscious control.

Again, it's not a presumption, there are studies of brain activity that show the sequence events happen in, there are logical considerations that show thoughts have to emerge into the concsiousness from somewhere. Consciousness is a response to stimuli, not some unmoved mover.

Even this act of presumption would have to be consciously driven.

I tried hard to find one word in that sentence that I could support, and I think I can accept that it's an act. Presumption, consciously and driven are all unwarranted, and I can't even support your use of 'even' to try to undermine any potential counter. You can't merely assert that something 'has' to be, you have to logically demonstrate it, and your entire attempt always winds back to 'there is this rational explanation that I can't find a logical hole in so I have to just fall back on the fact that I have personal incredulity'.

I cannot 'prove' beyond all doubt that consciousness is an entirely material, physical process, just as I cannot prove that evolution is entirely unguided by some supernatural entity. However, science has adequately demonstrated, and repeatedly verified the conclusion, that both of those concepts are entirely plausible and consistent with the available evidence, and you not being able to accept that isn't sufficient to throw science out the window.

O.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45593 on: March 30, 2023, 11:00:02 AM »
AB,

What do you mean by a “beneficial" mutation, and what makes you think there’s a “source” for mutations in general – let alone an “ultimate” one? 

I admit that my wording was a bit flippant, but what I am questioning is the bland presumption that any amount of the highly complex and specific complexity found in life forms, and particularly in human life, can have been generated by the crude natural selection process based on random mutations.

It’s not a “bland presumption” at all – it’s actually a robustly well-reasoned and evidenced conclusion, and your “crude” is just more poisoning the well with pejorative terms.

Perhaps if you bothered finding out what the ToE actually tells us you’d be better equipped to criticise it if you still wanted to do that?     

Is there no limit to what can be achieved by such a "trial and error" methodology?

No-one knows, but there’s no obvious barrier to the degree of complexity that could occur no. There is for all practical purposes "no limit" to the number of sequences of 52 cards that can be dealt either, and there are unfathomably vast numbers of sequences that have never been dealt and likely never will be either.   

It is not that I do not like the outcome,…

That’s a lie – you hate it because it has no need for a god, and needing a god is one of the central planks of your belief that there is a god. If you believed in pixies instead you'd feel the same way about the theory of gravity because it has no need for the wee fellas holding stuff down with very thing strings: "the theory of gravity is only a theory"; "can all that stuff always fall without guidance involved?"; "can gravity really be explained with the bland presumption that..." etc . 

…it is a question of realistic probability.

Oh-oh…

There has to be a finite number of possible mutations, and there is a finite time over which the selection process can take place.

Both assertions are unknowns, but in any case there’s no reason to think were anywhere near what those supposed boundaries might be. 

It is not possible to get realistic probabilities for it all to happen through random unguided events,…

The ToE doesn’t consist only of “randomness”. The mutations part is for practical purposes random, but the interactions with environmental factors is anything but. Do you see what I meant now about bothering to find out about the ToE before you criticise it?

…but we can speculate on how feasible such a scenario would be.

It’s demonstrably “feasible” because it happened.  The probability is 1. We know that because “it all” exists.

I know of several highly qualified scientists who have had the courage to raise such questions - and had to suffer unwarranted ridicule and character assassination for doing so.  It is a valid question.

Citations?

Surely the demonstration of our ability to have conscious control of our thought processes lies with the outcome.

No it doesn’t. Why do you think that, and how would you propose to get around the logical contradictions your notion “conscious control of our thought processes” gives you?

It is a mystery to me how anyone can presume that their ability to contemplate facts and draw validated conclusions can all occur in their subconscious without any form of conscious control.  Even this act of presumption would have to be consciously driven.

Why would something that’s been explained to you countless times still be a mystery to you?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 11:07:03 AM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Maeght

« Reply #45594 on: March 30, 2023, 11:15:25 AM »
No amount of research can corroborate the ultimate source of every beneficial mutation involved in the process of evolution.I admit that my wording was a bit flippant, but what I am questioning is the bland presumption that any amount of the highly complex and specific complexity found in life forms, and particularly in human life, can have been generated by the crude natural selection process based on random mutations.  Is there no limit to what can be achieved by such a "trial and error" methodology?  It is not that I do not like the outcome, it is a question of realistic probability.  There has to be a finite number of possible mutations, and there is a finite time over which the selection process can take place.  It is not possible to get realistic probabilities for it all to happen through random unguided events, but we can speculate on how feasible such a scenario would be.  I know of several highly qualified scientists who have had the courage to raise such questions - and had to suffer unwarranted ridicule and character assassination for doing so.  It is a valid question.Surely the demonstration of our ability to have conscious control of our thought processes lies with the outcome.  It is a mystery to me how anyone can presume that their ability to contemplate facts and draw validated conclusions can all occur in their subconscious without any form of conscious control.  Even this act of presumption would have to be consciously driven.

Natural selection isn't crude.

Stil no evidence for your assertions.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45595 on: March 30, 2023, 11:19:06 AM »
AB,

By the way, regarding probability would it be fair to describe your reasoning like this:

1. People exist.

2. The number of evolutionary events that must have occurred for people to exist is unfathomably vast…

3. …so unfathomably vast that it beggars belief that they could have happened just so without guidance.

4. Therefore there was guidance.

5. Therefore God?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 02:11:58 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #45596 on: March 30, 2023, 02:24:12 PM »
AB,

By the way, regarding probability would it be fair to describe your reasoning like this:

1. People exist.

2. The number of evolutionary events that must have occurred for people to exist is unfathomably vast…

3. …so unfathomably vast that it beggars belief that they could have happened just so without guidance.

4. Therefore there was guidance.

5. Therefore God?

That seems a fairly reasonable conclusion.....philosophically speaking.  Also, what a person means by God need not subscribe to religious or mythological imagery.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45597 on: March 30, 2023, 02:29:21 PM »
Sriram,

That seems a fairly reasonable conclusion.....philosophically speaking.

No it doesn't. Can you work out why it doesn't?

Also, what a person means by God need not subscribe to religious or mythological imagery.

No doubt, but this reasoning for "god"/whatever is wrong in any case 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 02:32:18 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #45598 on: March 30, 2023, 02:36:26 PM »

The issue is not just about evolution. It is about emergent properties and complexity. 

Outrider

« Reply #45599 on: March 30, 2023, 02:37:39 PM »
That seems a fairly reasonable conclusion.....philosophically speaking.  Also, what a person means by God need not subscribe to religious or mythological imagery.

No, it doesn't. That the numbers might seem 'unfathomably' vast to you - or, indeed, to anyone - speaks to our limitations with comprehending large numbers, not any intrinsic limitation upon reality.

That it 'beggars [your] belief' is - BY DEFINITION - the argument from incredulity, which speaks to your limitations, not the limitations of the argument or the system it supports.

That, as you've pointed out, is regardless of which flavour of magic you're intending the false dichotomy of 'disproving' natural evolution to support.

O.