Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3751016 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #45650 on: April 03, 2023, 02:14:40 PM »
AB,

A bizarre piece of casuistry (why wouldn’t “god” just magic it all to happen as he planned anyway?) but in any case you’ve missed the point.

Your argument for “god” goes like this:

1. People exist.

2. The number of evolutionary events that must have occurred for people to exist is unfathomably vast…

3. …so unfathomably vast that it beggars belief that they could have happened just so without guidance.

4. Therefore there was guidance.

5. Therefore God.

This argument only works though when you also install a designer god at the outset to intend people to be the outcome. In other words, you’re using your premise “god” to justify your outcome, which is also “god”. You’re starting and ending with the same thing, and that’s called circular reasoning:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_reasoning#:~:text=Circular%20reasoning%20(Latin%3A%20circulus%20in,are%20trying%20to%20end%20with.

Do you understand your mistake now?
The argument is entirely based on the unlikely probability that the unfathomable complexity of the human mind could have emerged from random, unguided, purposeless forces.  How is this circular reasoning?
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

« Reply #45651 on: April 03, 2023, 02:33:25 PM »
That's interesting.
You have never mentioned up until now this "part of the brain that communicates with the soul".
I suppose that means that all of your physical functions eg what you are seeing, hearing, tasting...everything physical, must first be processed via this "part of the brain"?
Is it all channeled through as raw data or is there some pre-channeling processing going on?
The end recipient of the data which exists in your material brain is the single entity of awareness which is you.  I do not know exactly how all these separate bits of data get channelled into a single entity of awareness, but I do know that there is no material model for generating a single entity of awareness from many discrete reactions.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Outrider

« Reply #45652 on: April 03, 2023, 03:00:39 PM »
The argument is entirely based on the unlikely probability that the unfathomable complexity of the human mind could have emerged from random, unguided, purposeless forces.

Instead you posit a greater intelligence that emerged spontaneously and fully realised, and has magic? Given billions of chances for each evolutionary step each year, and billions of years, how 'unlikely' does any individual step have to be to not result in conscious life?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #45653 on: April 03, 2023, 04:09:42 PM »
The end recipient of the data which exists in your material brain is the single entity of awareness which is you.  I do not know exactly how all these separate bits of data get channelled into a single entity of awareness, but I do know that there is no material model for generating a single entity of awareness from many discrete reactions.
You are the guy claiming that a hypnotist must be blocking the  "part of the brain that communicates with the soul".
Have you even thought this through?
How could that possibly be done?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45654 on: April 03, 2023, 04:22:00 PM »
AB,

The argument is entirely based on the unlikely probability that the unfathomable complexity of the human mind could have emerged from random, unguided, purposeless forces.  How is this circular reasoning?

No it isn’t. The argument is actually entirely based on two propositions, namely:

1. That humans were so unlikely to have appeared by chance that there must have been a god to guide the process; AND

2. That god wanted humans to exist all along.

In other words, your opening premise to do the designing (“god”) and your conclusion to do the guiding (also “god”) are the same thing.

And that’s called circular reasoning.

Now consider instead our deck of cards. I’ve already told you how fantastically unlikely any given sequence of 52 cards will be. You don’t though also claim that when the cards are dealt there must therefore have been a guiding agency to make them come out that way. Why not? Because in that case you don’t also insert ab initio an agency who intended them to come out that way.

This in essence is where you keep going wrong. Work instead on the basis of a universe that neither knows nor cares what life might emerge and there’s nothing especially remarkable about the fact that humans exist. All we can say about that perhaps is “lucky us”, just as, say, a lottery ticket winner may say “lucky me” with no implication that Camelot wanted him to be the winner all along.

Short version: you cannot use the premise “god” to justify the conclusion “god”.

Is the problem clear now?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 05:02:40 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #45655 on: April 03, 2023, 04:44:08 PM »
Instead you posit a greater intelligence that emerged spontaneously and fully realised, and has magic? Given billions of chances for each evolutionary step each year, and billions of years, how 'unlikely' does any individual step have to be to not result in conscious life?

O.
Until you define how conscious awareness can be generated from material entities you cannot presume the likeliness of it coming into existence no matter how many billions of steps are involved.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45656 on: April 03, 2023, 04:57:48 PM »
AB,

Until you define how conscious awareness can be generated from material entities you cannot presume the likeliness of it coming into existence no matter how many billions of steps are involved.

That’s just wrong. The only verifiable explanatory models we have so far for observed phenomena have been material ones. Whether we have a full, a partial or an absent material explanatory model for consciousness gives us no more reason just to declare it to be therefore non-material than the Norse people’s absence of a material explanation for thunder justified their belief in Thor.

This isn’t an especially difficult point, so you really should have grasped it by now.

If nonetheless you want to stick with your declaration that it’s “impossible” for consciousness to be material, then – as ever – the burden of proof remain with you to justify your claim.   

God

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #45657 on: April 03, 2023, 05:08:12 PM »
Until you can define how a soul can come into being without invoking magic then we can reasonably presume that they are unlikely to exist. It's logic
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45658 on: April 04, 2023, 06:57:28 AM »
Until you can define how a soul can come into being without invoking magic then we can reasonably presume that they are unlikely to exist. It's logic
Because there is an explanatory gap here which only the stupid or the wicked ignore, ANY proposed explanation is a de facto" hey presto" here.

Alan Burns

« Reply #45659 on: April 04, 2023, 08:03:42 AM »
AB,

That’s just wrong. The only verifiable explanatory models we have so far for observed phenomena have been material ones. Whether we have a full, a partial or an absent material explanatory model for consciousness gives us no more reason just to declare it to be therefore non-material than the Norse people’s absence of a material explanation for thunder justified their belief in Thor.

This isn’t an especially difficult point, so you really should have grasped it by now.

If nonetheless you want to stick with your declaration that it’s “impossible” for consciousness to be material, then – as ever – the burden of proof remain with you to justify your claim.
Scientists have come nowhere near to replicating an entity of self awareness by material means.  Because they have no idea of how self awareness can be generated from material reactions.   

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #45660 on: April 04, 2023, 08:23:01 AM »
Scientists have come nowhere near to replicating an entity of self awareness by material means.  Because they have no idea of how self awareness can be generated from material reactions.

You seem to be conflating evolution with manufacturing, again, and you should surely have learned by now that what you term 'awareness' is itself a material process, since it depends on bits of stuff located inside our skulls.

Outrider

« Reply #45661 on: April 04, 2023, 10:11:03 AM »

Actually, that's exactly the limit of what you can do. In the absence of any evidence of anything non-material even existing, let alone having an impact on human consciousness, you have to presume that it's a result entirely of material effects. You can't prove that it is, of course, but you can presume, and you can operate as though that were the case because you have evidenced that the material exists, you have evidence that human consciousness exists, and you have evidence that the two interact. You have, by contrast, no evidence for anything else, no evidence of any element of the material effects that demonstrably correlate with consciousness being somehow inexplicable or requiring currently unevidenced stimuli, and no explanatory mechanism for how this notional non-material 'stuff' would operate, interact with material or be investigated with any reliability.

You are attempting to squeeze 'therefore God' out of 'we don't have a complete scientific explanation' when the most you can get out of an incomplete explanation is 'we therefore don't know'.

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45662 on: April 04, 2023, 10:42:48 AM »
AB,

Whether or not that’s true, what point do you think you’re making here?

To have a point you’d have to build a logical path from “scientists can’t do X”, to “X is therefore non-material”. There is no such path though – “scientists can’t do X” tells you nothing at all about whether the phenomenon “X” is therefore non-material, just that scientists can’t replicate it.

So what though?       

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45663 on: April 04, 2023, 10:54:37 AM »
Vlad,

Because there is an explanatory gap here which only the stupid or the wicked ignore, ANY proposed explanation is a de facto" hey presto" here.

No it isn’t. In science “proposed explanations” are called hypotheses, which propose tentative explanations about phenomena but must also in principle at least be falsifiable and testable. Generally they’re expressed as “if…then” statements that summarise the idea and its ability to be supported or refuted by observation and experimentation.

“Hey presto” on the other hand is just an “it’s magic innit” type statement, which tends to be the domain of the religious. 

https://www.britannica.com/science/scientific-hypothesis

God

Outrider

« Reply #45664 on: April 04, 2023, 11:09:47 AM »
Scientists have come nowhere near to replicating an entity of self awareness by material means.

Given the degree to which we struggle to define consciousness, we have no idea how far away, say, artificial intelligences might currently be, we have no idea whether AI operating on the new quantum computing hardware that's being developed might represent a sufficient leap.

Because they have no idea of how self awareness can be generated from material reactions.

Actually, they have a poorly defined idea that it might be emergent from a sufficiently complex processing capacity with multiple feedback processes, but that requires rigorous testing to confirm. By contrast, you don't have any idea of how self awareness can be generated from non-material stuff, nor any evidence of this non-material stuff, nor any evidence that there is any sort of interaction between the demonstrable material and your notional non-material nor, indeed, even any kind of exploratory means or mechanism by which your claims of non-material could be investigated or assessed.

O.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45665 on: April 04, 2023, 12:12:08 PM »
Outy,

...By contrast, you don't have any idea of how self awareness can be generated from non-material stuff, nor any evidence of this non-material stuff, nor any evidence that there is any sort of interaction between the demonstrable material and your notional non-material nor, indeed, even any kind of exploratory means or mechanism by which your claims of non-material could be investigated or assessed.

Yes, but apart from all that...?  :)

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45666 on: April 04, 2023, 01:29:18 PM »
Vlad,

No it isn’t. In science “proposed explanations” are called hypotheses, which propose tentative explanations about phenomena but must also in principle at least be falsifiable and testable. Generally they’re expressed as “if…then” statements that summarise the idea and its ability to be supported or refuted by observation and experimentation.

“Hey presto” on the other hand is just an “it’s magic innit” type statement, which tends to be the domain of the religious. 

https://www.britannica.com/science/scientific-hypothesis
The explanatory gap I would move is too wide at present for a satisfactory hypothesis.

Certainly eliminationists like yourself and Dennett don't see the need for one  anyway.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45667 on: April 04, 2023, 01:44:41 PM »
Vlad,

The explanatory gap I would move is too wide at present for a satisfactory hypothesis.

You can “move” whatever you like, but as AB’s basic declaration is that consciousness must be non-material the explanation we have for why there’s no good reason to think he’s right about that is fine: he’d have to establish a priori that there even is a “non-material”; he’d have to establish how anyone would investigate such a thing; he’d have to find a sound reason to exclude consciousness from the possibility of being material etc.

Just pointing to the absence of knowledge we have so far about consciousness (“scientists can’t replicate…” etc) doesn’t do any of that.         

Certainly eliminationists like yourself and Dennett don't see the need for one  anyway.

I have no idea what you meant by “eliminationists” and nor I suspect have you, and in any case the need for “one” what?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 05:45:04 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Outrider

« Reply #45668 on: April 04, 2023, 02:37:42 PM »

Which still leaves us, at worst, at 'we don't know' against a backdrop of the demonstrable success of science and the huge steaming pile of diddly-squat in support of the magic hypoth-nonsense.

Eliminationist? Is this some school of philosophy, or are you rebranding your 'antitheist' boogeyman into an allegation of genocide advocacy?

O.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 09:24:20 AM by Outrider »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45669 on: April 04, 2023, 06:05:32 PM »
Which still leaves us, at worst, at 'we don't know' against a backdrop of the demonstrable success of science and the huge steaming pile of diddly-squat in support of the magic hypoth-nonsense.

[qutoe]Certainly eliminationists like yourself and Dennett don't see the need for one  anyway.

Eliminationist? Is this some school of philosophy, or are you rebranding your 'antitheist' boogeyman into an allegation of genocide advocacy?

O.
Eliminationism means making the actual thing in question redundant, often by referring to it as an illusion.

You will see it in action when reductionism is denied on the grounds that there was nothing to reduce.

Reductionism doesn't need to be eliminative but some operators don't like to be identified doing the reductionism they are so obviously and stinkingly nvolved in

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #45670 on: April 04, 2023, 07:14:43 PM »
But, Vlad, if a claim is incoherent and/or fallacious then it can be 'eliminated' as in the claim not being a serious proposition.

For example, the other day Alan mentioned something along the lines of a 'part of the brain that the soul connects to/interacts with' - since he can't clarify that claim citing support from neurology experts or explain how the soul/brain interaction happens/works then I'm happy to 'eliminate' his notion.

Would you agree with my assessment? 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 07:34:20 PM by Gordon »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45671 on: April 04, 2023, 08:27:29 PM »
But, Vlad, if a claim is incoherent and/or fallacious then it can be 'eliminated' as in the claim not being a serious proposition.

For example, the other day Alan mentioned something along the lines of a 'part of the brain that the soul connects to/interacts with' - since he can't clarify that claim citing support from neurology experts or explain how the soul/brain interaction happens/works then I'm happy to 'eliminate' his notion.

Would you agree with my assessment?
Non sequitur to my point.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #45672 on: April 04, 2023, 08:54:58 PM »
Not really,Vlad.

You said "Eliminationism means making the actual thing in question redundant, often by referring to it as an illusion.", and I'd say that applies to Alan's illusory notions about souls interacting with brains, about which he can say nothing meaningful -  therefore, we can just eliminate this idea as being theo-bollocks of the first order.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 09:14:55 PM by Gordon »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45673 on: April 05, 2023, 08:08:57 AM »
Not really,Vlad.

You said "Eliminationism means making the actual thing in question redundant, often by referring to it as an illusion.", and I'd say that applies to Alan's illusory notions about souls interacting with brains, about which he can say nothing meaningful -  therefore, we can just eliminate this idea as being theo-bollocks of the first order.
If Alan has said or suggested that the self or consciousness are illusions then he is guilty of eliminationism.

I can't see that he has and your second post just reinforces the non relevance of your first

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #45674 on: April 05, 2023, 09:28:35 AM »
If Alan has said or suggested that the self or consciousness are illusions then he is guilty of eliminationism.

He hasn't, but then nobody else has either, albeit what this 'self' might be is unclear to me - so be careful with all that straw, Vlad.

I can't see that he has and your second post just reinforces the non relevance of your first

See above.