Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3750444 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #45675 on: April 05, 2023, 11:40:34 AM »
Not really,Vlad.

You said "Eliminationism means making the actual thing in question redundant, often by referring to it as an illusion.", and I'd say that applies to Alan's illusory notions about souls interacting with brains, about which he can say nothing meaningful -  therefore, we can just eliminate this idea as being theo-bollocks of the first order.
If you accept a material explanation for all aspects of our conscious awareness, then you have to accept that any notion of freedom to guide your own thoughts must be an illusion.
To believe in your own ability to consciously guide your thoughts, then you will have to accept that there must be a non material explanation.
You are free to label this as "theo-bollocks" if you so wish, but in doing so you would have to consciously consider whether you invoked your conscious freedom to do so.  Then you would have to consider if you had the freedom to consciously consider ....  ???
What I am illustrating is that your power to consciously consider is not an automated reaction beyond your conscious control.  Your conscious freedom to control your thoughts is a reality - not an illusion.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

BeRational

« Reply #45676 on: April 05, 2023, 11:54:44 AM »
If you accept a material explanation for all aspects of our conscious awareness, then you have to accept that any notion of freedom to guide your own thoughts must be an illusion.
To believe in your own ability to consciously guide your thoughts, then you will have to accept that there must be a non material explanation.
You are free to label this as "theo-bollocks" if you so wish, but in doing so you would have to consciously consider whether you invoked your conscious freedom to do so.  Then you would have to consider if you had the freedom to consciously consider ....  ???
What I am illustrating is that your power to consciously consider is not an automated reaction beyond your conscious control.  Your conscious freedom to control your thoughts is a reality - not an illusion.

You don't have freedom. It is an illusion. Just ignore it, it 'feels' like we have freedom to decide stuff, so just go with it.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #45677 on: April 05, 2023, 12:17:44 PM »

Yep - because I'm aware that there is stuff going on in my head even if I'm consciously unaware of it: for example, I know I dream and I know I have food phobias that I cannot consciously overcome.

Which I don't accept, in the absence of any good grounds to take the notion seriously.

I just thought about it, Alan, in the context of what the material stuff in my skull does. Nobody disputes that people can think about specific things.

The illusion, Alan, which is yours and not mine, is that I need your 'wee man at the controls' to tell me what to think in the first place: I don't, and since your justification for you asserting this is that you need to find a gap for your 'God' to inhabit, then my conclusion is that what you expound really is theo-bollocks.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #45678 on: April 05, 2023, 02:47:00 PM »

Then tell that to someone who has been hypnotised.
That hypnotised person can operate quite normally, think, play, work, calculate, consider, love, eat....until a trigger word or action or phrase is actioned. (And remember, the hypnotist does not need to be present and will not know when or if the trigger is actioned, in fact he could even be dead!)

Then, even if your concious real time soul has been told what the trigger is and that the trigger will make you cluck like a chicken.
You will not be able to consciously control that clucking away.
Your soul fantasy is well and truly clucked!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Alan Burns

« Reply #45679 on: April 05, 2023, 04:56:23 PM »
You don't have freedom. It is an illusion. Just ignore it, it 'feels' like we have freedom to decide stuff, so just go with it.
My ability to consciously choose to ignore it and just "go with it" requires the conscious freedom I am supposed to pass off as an illusion.
My ability to try to pass it off as an illusion surely indicates that it is no illusion.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Alan Burns

« Reply #45680 on: April 05, 2023, 05:39:13 PM »
Then tell that to someone who has been hypnotised.
That hypnotised person can operate quite normally, think, play, work, calculate, consider, love, eat....until a trigger word or action or phrase is actioned. (And remember, the hypnotist does not need to be present and will not know when or if the trigger is actioned, in fact he could even be dead!)

Then, even if your concious real time soul has been told what the trigger is and that the trigger will make you cluck like a chicken.
You will not be able to consciously control that clucking away.
Your soul fantasy is well and truly clucked!
What the hypnotist does, using his consciously driven expertise, is to program the material brain to override the control of the person's own conscious self.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #45681 on: April 05, 2023, 06:10:40 PM »
What the hypnotist does, using his consciously driven expertise, is to program the material brain to override the control of the person's own conscious self.
But if "you" are in control, real-time quantum tunneling control, how could that possibly happen?
Bearing in mind that the soul apparently controls the physical brain according to you.
Cluck, cluck.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45682 on: April 05, 2023, 07:27:38 PM »
AB,

Yes! Finally! Halle-flippin’-llujah!

Now you’ve finally got it just stop there and we’ll be golden.

Oh no... you were doing soo well for a minute there too.

Er, and a non-rational "explanation" too (because any such “conscious control" would require some thinking of its own and so on forever etc) and in any case you don’t understand reality by making it fit what you want to “believe”.

You are free to label this as "theo-bollocks" if you so wish, but in doing so you would have to consciously consider whether you invoked your conscious freedom to do so.  Then you would have to consider if you had the freedom to consciously consider ....   

No, just “bollocks" will do here and for good reason given the same mistake in thinking you’ve just made again.

You’re not illustrating anything – you’re just declaring it to be so and ignoring all the logical problems your declaration gives you.

By the way, as you just ignored the explanation I gave you do you now understand why justifying god with his guiding hat on with god with his designer hat on is bog-standard circular reasoning?     
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 08:42:20 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

torridon

« Reply #45683 on: April 06, 2023, 07:21:19 AM »

It is an illusion in the sense that all experience is fabrication of mind.  If you touch the table in front of you, you aren't actually touching it, in reality this is impossible, however, our minds create the sensation of touch as a subjective interpretation of sensory data collected in your fingertips.  If you see a lemon as yellow, well the lemon itself is not actually yellow, again, it is our minds interpretating wavelengths of light that lemons reflect as yellow experience.  So it is with conscious thoughts, these are not things we consciously elicit, procure or manipulate, they are things we experience, they are constructions of our subconscious mind.  The idea that we could consciously choose which thoughts to have or not have makes no sense.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45684 on: April 06, 2023, 08:07:38 AM »
I want to see you then make the link between the movement of molecules and moral decisions, say.

Doesn't have to be a massive essay...a page of A4 would do.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45685 on: April 06, 2023, 10:36:39 AM »
It is an illusion in the sense that all experience is fabrication of mind.  If you touch the table in front of you, you aren't actually touching it, in reality this is impossible, however, our minds create the sensation of touch as a subjective interpretation of sensory data collected in your fingertips.  If you see a lemon as yellow, well the lemon itself is not actually yellow, again, it is our minds interpretating wavelengths of light that lemons reflect as yellow experience.  So it is with conscious thoughts, these are not things we consciously elicit, procure or manipulate, they are things we experience, they are constructions of our subconscious mind.  The idea that we could consciously choose which thoughts to have or not have makes no sense.
The word and concept of touch came long before the understanding of how particles interact. In other words we know what we mean when we talk about touch with the scientific explanation a mere interesting curiosity.

I'm sorry if that relegates science to a secondary and how that is hurtful to a believer of scientism and intellectual imperialism.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45686 on: April 06, 2023, 10:58:04 AM »
Vlad,

I want to see you then make the link between the movement of molecules and moral decisions, say.

Doesn't have to be a massive essay...a page of A4 would do.

Shifting the burden of proof seems to be your favourite fallacy these days. Do you not think that you should set out first the exact workings of your "it's magic innit" for the rest of us to examine?

You may need more than one page of A4 to do it though...

God

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #45687 on: April 06, 2023, 10:58:12 AM »
The word and concept of touch came long before the understanding of how particles interact. In other words we know what we mean when we talk about touch with the scientific explanation a mere interesting curiosity.
I guess that means that when we talk about the conscious self/conciousness we all know what we mean and any scientific or philosophical explanation is a also mere interesting curiosity?
Albert Einstein

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45688 on: April 06, 2023, 11:05:29 AM »
Vlad,

It's a lot more than "a mere interesting curiosity" – it's the explanation for what's actually happening. Unwittingly though you've just argued for the position you're trying to argue against – we "know what we mean" by lots of things, and those meanings work well enough at a workaday, colloquial level. That's not to say for one minute that that "what we mean" and what's actually happening instead are the same thing.        

I'm sorry if that relegates science to a secondary...

It doesn't.

...and how that is hurtful to...

Ignorant drivel isn't "hurtful" - it's just ignorant drivel.

... a believer of scientism...

The only believer here in scientism is you.

...and intellectual imperialism.

Gibberish.

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45689 on: April 06, 2023, 11:08:23 AM »
I guess that means that when we talk about the conscious self/conciousness we all know what we mean and any scientific or philosophical explanation is a also mere interesting curiosity?
If there was a concept of self and consciousness in philosophy before and without scientific explanation then yes.

I am not antiscientific here just antiscientism since scientism would declare any non scientific explanation as wrong or woefully incomplete and I am not declaring the science ''wrong''.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45690 on: April 06, 2023, 11:10:04 AM »
Vlad,

It's a lot more than "a mere interesting curiosity" – it's the explanation for what's actually happening. Unwittingly though you've just argued for the position you're trying to argue against – we "know what we mean" by lots of things, and those meanings work well enough at a workaday, colloquial level. That's not to say for one minute that that "what we mean" and what's actually happening instead are the same thing.       

It doesn't.

Ignorant drivel isn't "hurtful" - it's just ignorant drivel.

The only believer here in scientism is you.

Gibberish.
Scientismic nonsense. Word piracy and intellectual totalitarianism on your part Hillside.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45691 on: April 06, 2023, 11:13:13 AM »
Vlad,

Scientismic nonsense. Word piracy and intellectual totalitarianism on your part Hillside.

Your random word generator seems to be working overtime today. If you do have a coherent thought to express though, then have a nice cup of tea and a garibaldi and then try to express it in comprehensible terms.   

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45692 on: April 06, 2023, 11:16:31 AM »
Vlad,

Shifting the burden of proof seems to be your favourite fallacy these days. Do you not think that you should set out first the exact workings of your "it's magic innit" for the rest of us to examine?

You may need more than one page of A4 to do it though...
Your intellectual diarrhoeal drippings aside, Hillside let's have an A4 summary from you as well...

Snap to it Laddy.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45693 on: April 06, 2023, 11:30:47 AM »
Vlad,

Your intellectual diarrhoeal drippings aside, Hillside let's have an A4 summary from you as well...

Snap to it Laddy.

"Shifting of the Burden of Proof

Description: Making a claim that needs justification, then demanding that the opponent justifies the opposite of the claim
..."

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/logicalfallacies/Shifting-of-the-Burden-of-Proof

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45694 on: April 06, 2023, 12:31:47 PM »
Vlad,

"Shifting of the Burden of Proof

Description: Making a claim that needs justification, then demanding that the opponent justifies the opposite of the claim
..."

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/logicalfallacies/Shifting-of-the-Burden-of-Proof

Proof of what exactly?

My request is a rhetorical device.I know full well neither he nor you have traversed the explanatory gap for consciousness

« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 12:40:30 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #45695 on: April 06, 2023, 03:28:37 PM »
Proof of what exactly?

My request is a rhetorical device.I know full well neither he nor you have traversed the explanatory gap for consciousness
Have you?
Albert Einstein

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45696 on: April 06, 2023, 04:49:21 PM »
Vlad,

Proof of what exactly?

Magic.

My request is a rhetorical device.

No it isn't - it's a failure in reasoning.

I know full well neither he nor you have traversed the explanatory gap for consciousness

No-one here other than some of the theists has claimed to have done that. You for example seem to think that "it's magic innit" does "traverse the explanatory gap" so the burden remains entirely with you to demonstrate that claim no matter how many times you try to shift the burden of proof.

As for whether a material or a non-material explanation is more likely, I'm with Mr Occam: I can at least demonstrate that there is a material, whereas you on the other hand have all your work ahead of you still not to have to just assume a "non-material" in which your explanation (should you ever offer one) could in principle at least reside.       

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45697 on: April 06, 2023, 05:04:29 PM »
Have you?
No. No one has.
I'm at liberty though not to invoke scientism.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #45698 on: April 06, 2023, 06:09:08 PM »
No. No one has.
As are others, not to invoke magic.
Albert Einstein

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45699 on: April 06, 2023, 07:04:37 PM »
Vlad,

No. No one has.

But some of us a least have fewer assumptions to make than others about what the explanation is more likely to be.

Actually you're the only person here who does "invoke" scientism. Here for example: "My position is that we can use the word universe to describe that which could be observed and studied by science".

Or have you now changed your mind about that?

God