Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3752087 times)

ProfessorDavey

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #45975 on: April 24, 2023, 04:56:02 PM »
The word "include" in my sentence means religion has parts of it that does not conform to natural laws. The bit after the comma explains or gives more detail about the parts of religion that could be described as not conforming to natural laws and could therefore be described as supernatural.
No VG, religions do not include things which do not confirm to natural laws. Religions make claims about things which they assert do not confirm to natural laws. There is a very important distinction.

By suggesting that religions include non-conformity to natural laws you are presuming that things that do not confirm to natural laws exist - otherwise how could religions include them.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #45976 on: April 24, 2023, 05:03:40 PM »
Hi Enki - yes that is what I was trying to convey, that religion contains elements or parts that refer to the supernatural. Thank you. Glad you understood what I meant.
But that isn't what you said - you said that religions include non-conformity to natural laws, not that they refer to things that do not confer to natural laws.

But I'd challenge you even on this - as to my mind religions do not refer to the supernatural, which to me implies it is accepted that the supernatural exists. I think it is better to say that religions make claims about elements that they assert to be supernatural. But, of course, (as I think you agree from earlier posts) they have no evidence that those claims are true, nor that things that do not confirm to natural laws (i.e. supernatural) even exist.

But the point remains that religions are bounded by natural laws regardless of the supernatural claims they might make.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 05:19:50 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #45977 on: April 24, 2023, 05:33:33 PM »
No VG, religions do not include things which do not confirm to natural laws. Religions make claims about things which they assert do not confirm to natural laws. There is a very important distinction.

By suggesting that religions include non-conformity to natural laws you are presuming that things that do not confirm to natural laws exist - otherwise how could religions include them.
The most fundamental claim in most religions is that we are accountable for our conscious choices.  Our freedom to make such claims is evidence of the supernatural power within every person to choose our own destiny.  As has been pointed out many times on this thread, natural laws cannot allow such freedom.  Our freedom to consciously contemplate such matters should lead you to the conclusion that the truth really does set you free.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #45978 on: April 24, 2023, 05:51:35 PM »

Incorrect PD. Religions do include things which do not conform to natural laws. The "things" in this case are ideas. Religions are a set of ideas and concepts about having faith in and revering and worshipping a god or a supreme being. So the idea of a being outside or not conforming to natural laws is part of /included in religions. And yes I am presuming that the things (i.e. ideas that do not conform to natural laws) exist.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Maeght

« Reply #45979 on: April 24, 2023, 05:52:08 PM »
The most fundamental claim in most religions is that we are accountable for our conscious choices.  Our freedom to make such claims is evidence of the supernatural power within every person to choose our own destiny.  As has been pointed out many times on this thread, natural laws cannot allow such freedom.  Our freedom to consciously contemplate such matters should lead you to the conclusion that the truth really does set you free.

Our decision making is consistent with the laws of nature, as has been 'pointed out' many times on this thread.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #45980 on: April 24, 2023, 06:03:05 PM »
Incorrect PD. Religions do include things which do not conform to natural laws.
No they don't - they make claims about things they assert do not confirm to natural laws.

The "things" in this case are ideas.
An idea is a human-generated thing. It conforms to natural laws. An idea may make a claim that things which do not conform to natural laws exist, but that is a very different thing.

If I claim that magic exists as an idea, does that mean I am part magic. Nope it doesn't.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #45981 on: April 24, 2023, 06:05:26 PM »
And yes I am presuming that the things (i.e. ideas that do not conform to natural laws) exist.
And the evidence you base that presumption on is ...?

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #45982 on: April 24, 2023, 06:07:07 PM »
But that isn't what you said - you said that religions include non-conformity to natural laws, not that they refer to things that do not confer to natural laws.

But I'd challenge you even on this - as to my mind religions do not refer to the supernatural, which to me implies it is accepted that the supernatural exists. I think it is better to say that religions make claims about elements that they assert to be supernatural. But, of course, (as I think you agree from earlier posts) they have no evidence that those claims are true, nor that things that do not confirm to natural laws (i.e. supernatural) even exist.

But the point remains that religions are bounded by natural laws regardless of the supernatural claims they might make.
It doesn't imply to me that it is accepted that the supernatural exists. There are lots of words in the dictionary that don't imply that it is accepted that they exist.

But it won't do any harm if you want to contact the people who compile dictionaries and give them your suggestions. 

I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #45983 on: April 24, 2023, 06:13:03 PM »
No they don't - they make claims about things they assert do not confirm to natural laws.
An idea is a human-generated thing. It conforms to natural laws. An idea may make a claim that things which do not conform to natural laws exist, but that is a very different thing.
Nope - I am not referring to ideas or thoughts in general. I was referring to specific ideas and concepts included in religions and I specified examples of concepts that do not conform to natural laws.

If I claim that magic exists as an idea, does that mean I am part magic. Nope it doesn't.
No idea what you are trying to say here.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #45984 on: April 24, 2023, 06:16:12 PM »
And the evidence you base that presumption on is ...?
We are discussing the ideas so the ideas and concepts exist in our language.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #45985 on: April 24, 2023, 06:19:44 PM »
Nope - I am not referring to ideas or thoughts in general. I was referring to specific ideas and concepts included in religions and I specified examples of concepts that do not conform to natural laws.
Makes no difference - the idea (regardless of what that idea posits) conforms to natural laws.

But actually through the centuries people have speculated through ideas that certain things exist that are supernatural - that doesn't make those speculations, nor those ideas themselves supernatural. Religions are just one of many examples.

Alan Burns

« Reply #45986 on: April 24, 2023, 06:22:29 PM »
Our decision making is consistent with the laws of nature, as has been 'pointed out' many times on this thread.
The laws of nature effectively reduce so called decisions to unavoidable reactions to prior events over which we have no control.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #45987 on: April 24, 2023, 06:24:50 PM »
We are discussing the ideas so the ideas and concepts exist in our language.
Ideas, concepts and language fully conform to natural laws, so hardly relevant to justifying a view that supernatural things exist.

You have fallen into the all too common trap of confusing the belief in the existence of supernatural entity (which beyond any reasonable doubt both exists and conforms to natural laws, as it is a human belief) and the actual existence of supernatural entities (which is not proven, for which there is no credible evidence, but were this to be the case would involve entities that do not conform to natural laws).

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45988 on: April 24, 2023, 06:46:51 PM »
VG,

haven't made a mistake.

Yes you have – and a big one too. As you struggle to grasp the difference between knowledge about a thing and the thing itself, let’s try an analogy that may help you. Specifically, let’s try probability and – for want of a better example – the weather forecast. You know how the weather forecast will sometimes say something like, “Probability of rain: 10%”? Would you say that that means that water droplets, atmospherics, humidity etc somehow must behave in a certain way 10% of the time, or rather is it instead a statement about our confidence in our knowledge about how the may behave?

Take as long as you need here…

…got it now? It’s just a statement about our knowledge of meteorology isn’t it. Now then, as we’re talking weather let’s consider lightning too (as you just ignored it last time). According to you, “Supernatural is a description for something that is outside the various currently known rules and explanations of the natural world that science has come up with based on demonstrable evidence” (Reply #45948). Lightning was once “outside the various currently known rules and explanations of the natural world that science has come up with…” etc so, according to you, at that time it was therefore "supernatural" right?

Only it wasn’t was it. Just as “Probability of rain: 10%” is a statement about our level of knowledge of something, so was “lightning is something that is outside the various currently known rules and explanations of the natural world…” etc. That didn’t make lightning supernatural at all though did it. Not one little bit.   

You can duck and dive about this all you like, but the basic principle won’t change. Something is either natural or supernatural in itself (I’m glossing here over the a priori problem of establishing even such a thing as “supernatural” in reality by the way, but ok) and you cannot just use the contemporaneous state of knowledge of science to determine which of these it is, let alone to change it from one to the other (and presumably back again) as science develops.

That you mistakenly label religious beliefs as "private facts" or a dictionary definition of supernatural as "private language" is not my problem.

It’s not my mistaken labelling, it’s yours. Here for example:

I believe that the supernatural entity described in the Quran is real…but I am not claiming or making an argument that it is real... So for me it remains a belief, not fact” (#45948)

If you believe something to be “real” (ie a fact) then presumably you are “claiming or making an argument that it is real” to yourself at least are you not?     

I described certain religious concepts such as gods, judgment and accountability after death as supernatural because they cannot be explained by natural laws as they are outside the scope of natural laws. Feel free to compare this to phenomena that are within the scope of natural laws if you want, but I won't waste my time responding to your incorrect comparisons.

You’re committing a fallacy called reification here. What you should have said was something like, “I described certain religious concepts such as gods, judgment and accountability after death as supernatural because according to the unqualified stories about them they could not be explained by natural laws because the stories place them outside the scope of natural laws”.

Can you see where you went wrong there?   

Thanks for confirming that the issue is individuals who kill people who don't share their beliefs rather than religion itself.

Stop lying - I didn’t do that at all. I “confirmed” only that when some people reify their subjective opinions into objectively certain facts they will tend to behave accordingly. Why do you suppose it is for example that hard line Muslim states drag blasphemers on to the streets and beat them to death (with “holy” text authority) whereas, say, moral philosophers with different positions do not?

Why though, and why doesn’t that bother you?   

I have corrected you on your opinion - but you've just ignored the correction here.

See the first two words above.

You still seem confused.

You’re costing me a fortune in irony meters here…

I have pointed out that your opinion that believing in the reality of something supernatural as opposed to believing it is fiction like Aesop's fables does not turn that belief into a fact or a "fact" or a "private fact". You are still welcome to believe your opinion is correct/ real/ a fact / a "fact" or a "private fact" though if you want.

You haven’t pointed that out at all – you’ve just asserted it, supported either with no arguments or with very bad arguments (eg, the intentions of the authors). You’re the one who believes “god/angel” to be a fact (“real”) remember, albeit it seems a special type of fact that's a fact only for you. If someone decided to believe that the hare/tortoise were a fact for them only too though, then you’d have two epistemically equivalent positions.

Try to stop misrepresenting this basic point.     

You did not make an argument so there was nothing to rebut. You asserted that I had created  a new category of "fact" when I was describing a belief that cannot be tested by science. You then made a comparison to a planet's orbit, which can be tested by science.

No, you asserted it remember (“I believe that the supernatural entity described in the Quran is real”). It’s your belief, so you deal with the contradictions it gives you.   

See above - you seem to really, really believe that I have tied myself in a knot,…

“I” don’t; the reasoning and arguments you cannot or will not address do that, but ok…

…and that's fine provided your certainty of belief does not cause you to commit an act of violence. Also, I agree with you that you have the right to hold such a belief, even if I think it's an idiotic belief to hold.

And the repeated lie to finish. What “certainty” do you think I’ve expressed here or ever on this mb?
"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45989 on: April 24, 2023, 06:50:08 PM »
VG,

I said "supernatural" describes things that are outside of science. I did not say "supernatural" describes things that are unexplained by science. How would the scientific method be used to test for whether supernatural phenomena are factual or come up with an explanation for them?

Wow – that’s some pretty epic (and disgraceful) quote mining you’ve done there. Here’s what you actually said:

“Supernatural is a description for something that is outside the various currently known rules and explanations of the natural world that science has come up with based on demonstrable evidence…” (Reply #45948)

I’ve put the “the various currently known rules and explanations of the natural world that science has come up with based on demonstrable evidence” in bold there so you won’t be tempted just to excise it again next time.

Can you see the problems this gives you?

First, you have no idea what phenomena could and could not be “outside” science in principle.

Second, if you want to stick with the qualifier you removed (“…currently known rules and explanations of the natural world that science has come up with” etc) then you give yourself the problem of phenomena that apparently can flit between natural/supernatural states solely on the basis of what science has to say about them at given times.

Third, by tying inside/outside scientific knowledge at all to the natural/supernatural character of phenomena you’re still committing a basic epistemic mistake of conflating the state of knowledge of something with the thing itself. Just for funsies imagine that some phenomena are “supernatural” (whatever that would mean) but that science have never been invented. That (according to your thinking) would mean a universe that’s 100% supernatural right?

Or imagine our species had never occurred, but aliens existed somewhere who had developed a science of their own. That (again according to you) would presumably then mean that the phenomena the alien science had figured out would (presumably universally) magic its way from supernatural to natural right?

Can you see anything wrong with thinking that scientific knowledge changes the fundamental character of the thing that science is investigating?

Anything?           

God

Maeght

« Reply #45990 on: April 24, 2023, 07:10:32 PM »
The laws of nature effectively reduce so called decisions to unavoidable reactions to prior events over which we have no control.

Yes.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #45991 on: April 24, 2023, 09:23:36 PM »
Makes no difference - the idea (regardless of what that idea posits) conforms to natural laws.

But actually through the centuries people have speculated through ideas that certain things exist that are supernatural - that doesn't make those speculations, nor those ideas themselves supernatural. Religions are just one of many examples.
Once again, I wasn't  ideas saying ideas or thoughts in general are supernatural - I specified that the subject of specific ideas such as gods, which are included within religions, are described using the adjective "supernatural".

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #45992 on: April 24, 2023, 09:29:00 PM »
Ideas, concepts and language fully conform to natural laws, so hardly relevant to justifying a view that supernatural things exist.
Once again, what I said was the adjective exists. Using the adjective does not imply that the supernatural exists.

You have fallen into the all too common trap of confusing the belief in the existence of supernatural entity (which beyond any reasonable doubt both exists and conforms to natural laws, as it is a human belief) and the actual existence of supernatural entities (which is not proven, for which there is no credible evidence, but were this to be the case would involve entities that do not conform to natural laws).
You have fallen into the all too common trap of confusing yourself and arguing against yourself rather than against any point I have made.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #45993 on: April 24, 2023, 09:40:07 PM »
VG,

Yes you have – and a big one too. As you struggle to grasp the difference between knowledge about a thing and the thing itself, let’s try an analogy that may help you. Specifically, let’s try probability and – for want of a better example – the weather forecast. You know how the weather forecast will sometimes say something like, “Probability of rain: 10%”? Would you say that that means that water droplets, atmospherics, humidity etc somehow must behave in a certain way 10% of the time, or rather is it instead a statement about our confidence in our knowledge about how the may behave?

Take as long as you need here…

…got it now? It’s just a statement about our knowledge of meteorology isn’t it. Now then, as we’re talking weather let’s consider lightning too (as you just ignored it last time). According to you, “Supernatural is a description for something that is outside the various currently known rules and explanations of the natural world that science has come up with based on demonstrable evidence” (Reply #45948). Lightning was once “outside the various currently known rules and explanations of the natural world that science has come up with…” etc so, according to you, at that time it was therefore "supernatural" right?

Only it wasn’t was it. Just as “Probability of rain: 10%” is a statement about our level of knowledge of something, so was “lightning is something that is outside the various currently known rules and explanations of the natural world…” etc. That didn’t make lightning supernatural at all though did it. Not one little bit.   

You can duck and dive about this all you like, but the basic principle won’t change. Something is either natural or supernatural in itself (I’m glossing here over the a priori problem of establishing even such a thing as “supernatural” in reality by the way, but ok) and you cannot just use the contemporaneous state of knowledge of science to determine which of these it is, let alone to change it from one to the other (and presumably back again) as science develops.

It’s not my mistaken labelling, it’s yours. Here for example:

I believe that the supernatural entity described in the Quran is real…but I am not claiming or making an argument that it is real... So for me it remains a belief, not fact” (#45948)

If you believe something to be “real” (ie a fact) then presumably you are “claiming or making an argument that it is real” to yourself at least are you not?     

You’re committing a fallacy called reification here. What you should have said was something like, “I described certain religious concepts such as gods, judgment and accountability after death as supernatural because according to the unqualified stories about them they could not be explained by natural laws because the stories place them outside the scope of natural laws”.

Can you see where you went wrong there?   

Stop lying - I didn’t do that at all. I “confirmed” only that when some people reify their subjective opinions into objectively certain facts they will tend to behave accordingly. Why do you suppose it is for example that hard line Muslim states drag blasphemers on to the streets and beat them to death (with “holy” text authority) whereas, say, moral philosophers with different positions do not?

Why though, and why doesn’t that bother you?   

See the first two words above.

You’re costing me a fortune in irony meters here…

You haven’t pointed that out at all – you’ve just asserted it, supported either with no arguments or with very bad arguments (eg, the intentions of the authors). You’re the one who believes “god/angel” to be a fact (“real”) remember, albeit it seems a special type of fact that's a fact only for you. If someone decided to believe that the hare/tortoise were a fact for them only too though, then you’d have two epistemically equivalent positions.

Try to stop misrepresenting this basic point.     

No, you asserted it remember (“I believe that the supernatural entity described in the Quran is real”). It’s your belief, so you deal with the contradictions it gives you.   

“I” don’t; the reasoning and arguments you cannot or will not address do that, but ok…

And the repeated lie to finish. What “certainty” do you think I’ve expressed here or ever on this mb?
Nope you're still incorrect BHS. I haven't made a mistake and I haven't lied. You seem very confused between religious beliefs and facts. They are 2 different things and I have explained to you why they are different. I don't intend on repeating the same points I made before to correct you - I just don't have the time to waste.

Glad you admit that you are uncertain about whether I have tied myself in knots. 

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #45994 on: April 24, 2023, 10:05:41 PM »
VG,

Wow – that’s some pretty epic (and disgraceful) quote mining you’ve done there. Here’s what you actually said:

“Supernatural is a description for something that is outside the various currently known rules and explanations of the natural world that science has come up with based on demonstrable evidence…” (Reply #45948)

I’ve put the “the various currently known rules and explanations of the natural world that science has come up with based on demonstrable evidence” in bold there so you won’t be tempted just to excise it again next time.
Nope, I didn't excise anything - I know what I actually said and as I pointed out to you before, the relevant word in what I actually said is "outside", so you have wasted your time in bolding the bit after "outside".

First, you have no idea what phenomena could and could not be “outside” science in principle.

Second, if you want to stick with the qualifier you removed (“…currently known rules and explanations of the natural world that science has come up with” etc) then you give yourself the problem of phenomena that apparently can flit between natural/supernatural states solely on the basis of what science has to say about them at given times.

Third, by tying inside/outside scientific knowledge at all to the natural/supernatural character of phenomena you’re still committing a basic epistemic mistake of conflating the state of knowledge of something with the thing itself. Just for funsies imagine that some phenomena are “supernatural” (whatever that would mean) but that science have never been invented. That (according to your thinking) would mean a universe that’s 100% supernatural right?

Or imagine our species had never occurred, but aliens existed somewhere who had developed a science of their own. That (again according to you) would presumably then mean that the phenomena the alien science had figured out would (presumably universally) magic its way from supernatural to natural right?

Can you see anything wrong with thinking that scientific knowledge changes the fundamental character of the thing that science is investigating?

Anything?           
You are still Incorrect - concepts of gods and judgement of people after their death and accountability after death are outside the scope of science to be able to investigate.

I have no idea what you think your imaginings about aliens and science has to do with the issue. If aliens developed a science of their own, the science would presumably involve methods of investigation that conform to natural laws and will be based on objective evidence. If that is not the case, then please explain how you are defining this alien science.

Alan Burns

« Reply #45995 on: April 25, 2023, 07:49:13 AM »

Yes.
So if conscious control of our thought processes is a reality - not an illusion, it would constitute evidence of our supernatural power to direct our own thoughts.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 07:52:12 AM by Alan Burns »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45996 on: April 25, 2023, 09:09:27 AM »
VG,

Anything?           
Hillside's hymn to scientism.
How does science get from an is to an 'ought'?
How does science get us from knowing about matter and energy to knowing that everything is matter and energy?
''One day science will be able to tell us'' is entirely inadequate warrant for you as is ''One day science may be able to tell us''.
You have already suspended science in the matter of how the universe started.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45997 on: April 25, 2023, 11:16:24 AM »
VG,

Nope you're still incorrect BHS. I haven't made a mistake and I haven't lied.

Yes you did make a mistake (the “lying” part relates to your quote mining in a subsequent Reply) and I explained to you very clearly why you’d made you’d made a mistake. If you think that just ignoring that explanation corrects your mistake then you're mistaken about that too.

You seem very confused between religious beliefs and facts. They are 2 different things and I have explained to you why they are different. I don't intend on repeating the same points I made before to correct you - I just don't have the time to waste.

Yes, when you’re having rings run around you it probably is best for you just to run away. It’s still the case though that the rebuttal you’ve run away from is a rebuttal.   

Glad you admit that you are uncertain about whether I have tied myself in knots.

I didn’t. What I actually said was that I’ve never claimed to be certain about anything – that’s not to say though that the arguments that falsify you aren’t sound.

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45998 on: April 25, 2023, 11:20:21 AM »
VG,

Nope, I didn't excise anything - I know what I actually said and as I pointed out to you before, the relevant word in what I actually said is "outside", so you have wasted your time in bolding the bit after "outside".

Yes you did. Why bother lying about that when it’s so readily checked? In Reply #45948 you said:

“Supernatural is a description for something that is outside the various currently known rules and explanations of the natural world that science has come up with based on demonstrable evidence…
(emphasis added).

In Reply #45989 though you edited that to:

I said "supernatural" describes things that are outside of science. I did not say…
etc.

Notice here that after the “outside of science” you removed the qualifier “outside…the various currently known rules and explanations of the natural world that science has come up with...” etc. The difference between “outside science” and “outside the “various currently known known rules and explanations of the natural world that science has come up with…” etc makes all the difference to the sense (which fails in either iteration in any case for the reasons I’ve given you and you just ignore). 

You are still Incorrect - concepts of gods and judgement of people after their death and accountability after death are outside the scope of science to be able to investigate.

No, you are.

First, which version are you attempting here now: “outside science” (ie, your edited version) or “outside science as it currently is” (ie, your original version)?

Second, in either case axiomatically concepts of anything that are posited outwith the methods and tools of science cannot be investigated by the methods and tools of science. The problem though is that – currently at least – they’re beyond the scope of any other means of investigation too. Epistemically they’re just white noise.     

I have no idea what you think your imaginings about aliens and science has to do with the issue. If aliens developed a science of their own, the science would presumably involve methods of investigation that conform to natural laws and will be based on objective evidence. If that is not the case, then please explain how you are defining this alien science.

Why not – it’s a simple enough point I’d have thought? You made the mistake of conflating the character of a phenomenon (natural/supernatural) with the state of knowledge about that phenomenon. If we do follow your “reasoning” (such as it is) here though, then somehow our (or any other species’) state of knowledge magically transforms the character of the phenomenon itself. I have no idea how you’d think that would work – after all lightning wasn’t somehow supernatural before science understood it for example – but these are the nonsenses your position leads you to whether or not you keep ignoring those nonsenses.         
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 12:02:39 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #45999 on: April 25, 2023, 11:21:30 AM »
Vlad,

Hillside's hymn to scientism.

Except it’s the opposite of that. If you can cite just one thing I’ve said (either here or ever) that implies advocacy for scientism though then by all means do it. If you can’t though (and you can’t), stop lying about that. 

How does science get from an is to an 'ought'?

Don’t know.

How does science get us from knowing about matter and energy to knowing that everything is matter and energy?

Don’t know.

''One day science will be able to tell us'' is entirely inadequate warrant for you as is ''One day science may be able to tell us''.

No, they’re epistemically very different statements. I’ve never said the former, and the latter is at least debatable. 

You have already suspended science in the matter of how the universe started.

I haven’t “suspended science” about anything. Stop lying.   

God