Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3751219 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #46125 on: April 26, 2023, 05:53:58 PM »
In this case I would have thought the burden of proof would be 'on the balance of probabilities'.

But the point is VG, what evidence would be sufficient - do you want to see my degree certificates. Perhaps you'd like to read my PhD thesis. I think you might get a tad bored working through my 130 peer reviewed research papers, although I suspect you might find my lecture notes on medical ethics more to your liking.

Point is, we work on the basis of trust here. I trust that NS is from Greenock (I think that's right NS) - I'm sure I could try to trick him up as I also know Greenock quite well as my mother's family were from there and Port Glasgow. But I don't, I take it on trust, and if NS posts that there was a fantastic view from Lyle Hill yesterday evening I'd trust that to be true, not that he is somehow trying to scam us.
Do you see no difference between me saying I am from Greenock, and someone claiming expertise?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #46126 on: April 26, 2023, 05:55:46 PM »
I don't - I take it on trust. And if someone says they are a qualified lawyer and provided some level of expert opinion on the law based on their expertise I would trust that unless it was clear they were talking hogwhash.

The very notion that I regularly link to primary source publications that are (unfortunately) not available in full to the general public suggests I might just have some preferential access to the academic literature. Why might that be?
Except you aren't taking claims on trust, you are making judgements outwith claims.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 05:58:30 PM by Nearly Sane »

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46127 on: April 26, 2023, 05:56:23 PM »
In this case I would have thought the burden of proof would be 'on the balance of probabilities'.
How do I determine what is probable without any data or stats? Or do you mean we should look at the stats on people on the internet actually being who they say they are? Where would I find those stats in order to calculate the probability of you being an expert?

But the point is VG, what evidence would be sufficient - do you want to see my degree certificates. Perhaps you'd like to read my PhD thesis. I think you might get a tad bored working through my 130 peer reviewed research papers, although I suspect you might find my lecture notes on medical ethics more to your liking.
Not sure - maybe if you start by posting a link to the definition of an expert? How many papers do people need to publish before it tips them over to being described as an expert?

Point is, we work on the basis of trust here. I trust that NS is from Greenock (I think that's right NS) - I'm sure I could try to trick him up as I also know Greenock quite well as my mother's family were from there and Port Glasgow. But I don't, I take it on trust, and if NS posts that there was a fantastic view from Lyle Hill yesterday evening I'd trust that to be true, not that he is somehow trying to scam us.
Sure - I would take note of NS's opinion on the view. I wouldn't consider his opinion to carry more weight than someone else's opinion just because he described himself as an expert on views in Scotland.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #46128 on: April 26, 2023, 06:01:22 PM »
Can you give me an example of this on here, where someone had indicated they had a particular expertise and you have accepted it?
A rather good example back in the old days was Little Hulton - he was a Roman Catholic Priest - or rather, so he claimed to be. I didn't demand evidence of his priesthood - I accepted it on trust and the nature of the discussions made it pretty clear to me that it was likely to be true.

But this isn't about professional expertise (although where you have that available to you, so much the better) - it is simply about accepting that the snippets we allow others on this MB to know about each of us is true. I accept SH lives in Hemel Hempstead, and that JP supports Arsenal (I think) and that you are a muslim woman etc, etc. All I ask is that you extend the same courtesy to me.

On another board where I post there are posters (who post anonymously) who are variously a best selling author, an ex-MP, a parliamentary candidate who subsequently became (and still is) an MP. I've never doubted they are who they say they are - I extend them the courtesy of accepting that. And how they post lends me further to accept that too. And on that community I cannot think of someone like you who refuses to accept they are who they say they are. The only issue is the best selling author , who regularly gets banned and reappears (completely obviously) under a different name.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 06:06:48 PM by ProfessorDavey »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #46129 on: April 26, 2023, 06:06:00 PM »
Do you see no difference between me saying I am from Greenock, and someone claiming expertise?
Depend on what we are talking about.

If the topic drifted onto Clyde shipbuilding communities I image you'd be the top dog here, even if that wasn't based on having a professional involvement. If it turned out you have spent decades studying the Clyde shipyards then we should all extend the courtesy of recognising that you would know a shit-load more about the topic that the rest of us. And not to think that a quick google of 'clyde shipbuilding' would bring us up to speed compared to your 30 years of experience.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #46130 on: April 26, 2023, 06:09:55 PM »

If the topic drifted onto Clyde shipbuilding communities I image you'd be the top dog here, even if that wasn't based on having a professional involvement. If it turned out you have spent decades studying the Clyde shipyards then we should all extend the courtesy of recognising that you would know a shit-load more about the topic that the rest of us. And not to think that a quick google of 'clyde shipbuilding' would bring us up to speed compared to your 30 years of experience.

Except you didn't use it in those terms. You used it as entirely equivalent. And again we are back with you making claims about other's expertise - which is your opinion

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46131 on: April 26, 2023, 06:28:18 PM »
A rather good example back in the old days was Little Hulton - he was a Roman Catholic Priest - or rather, so he claimed to be. I didn't demand evidence of his priesthood - I accepted it on trust and the nature of the discussions made it pretty clear to me that it was likely to be true.

But this isn't about professional expertise (although where you have that available to you, so much the better) - it is simply about accepting that the snippets we allow others on this MB to know about each of us is true. I accept SH lives in Hemel Hempstead, and that JP supports Arsenal (I think) and that you are a muslim woman etc, etc. All I ask is that you extend the same courtesy to me.

On another board where I post there are posters (who post anonymously) who are variously a best selling author, an ex-MP, a parliamentary candidate who subsequently became (and still is) an MP. I've never doubted they are who they say they are - I extend them the courtesy of accepting that. And how they post lends me further to accept that too. And on that community I cannot think of someone like you who refuses to accept they are who they say they are. The only issue is the best selling author , who regularly gets banned and reappears (completely obviously) under a different name.
My view is that it doesn't make a difference if I am in fact a Muslim woman or a teenage atheist boy - In this day and age we can identify as different things at different points in time and change our minds at whim apparently. The arguments I make and opinions I post should stand on their own merits.

I remember Sriram posting something about Jain beliefs and you challenging him on his opinion, despite him claiming that he was Indian and advising you what most Indians think about atheism and Jainism. You didn't take his word for it that his opinion carried more weight than a Western person because he was Indian. You linked to research and formed your own opinion of what atheism means to Jains based on that research. Presumably you are not claiming that your ability to access and link to research regarding Jainism makes you an an expert in Jainism?
http://www.religionethics.co.uk/index.php?topic=18866.msg841046#msg841046
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #46132 on: April 26, 2023, 07:07:26 PM »

There are a number of reasons for maintaining anonymity on a discussion board.

One of them is to provide a platform where members are encouraged to examine any evidence and arguments for themselves rather than to accept arguments from authority. In your scenario it would just be wrong for NS to argue on shipbuilding on the basis of his personal credentials as an expert ship engineer. If he has the appropriate knowledge he should of-course provide the appropriate arguments and links so that anyone reading would be able to follow and comment on the evidence, improving their own knowledge and making up their own minds.

If a member is happy to take another posters expertise on trust, that is fine, but although it might improve relations on the board it doesn't really do anything in verifying a particular argument, result or opinion. 

I have another scenario. Suppose one of the gods decided to sign up  (a supernatural being intervening in our natural or simulated world) and post their views. Should we just take them on their word or thoroughly examine every argument?

(I know they would disappear into the aether sharpish to avoid trying to read through days of nit-picking on wording and semantics rather than substantive issues).

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46133 on: April 26, 2023, 07:22:26 PM »
Just to chip in with a very brief comment - it seems to me that the term 'supernatural phenomenon' is an overt oxymoron.
I see your point. Not sure what word should be used to describe the subject of a concept or idea that your mind has thought of and interpreted as supernatural.

Some theists claim they can sense something and their mind interprets the sensation as related to god. Obviously there is no way to demonstrate that the input or stimulus for this sensation / interpretation had anything to do with gods as there is no method to investigate and demonstrate gods. The sensation could be indigestion.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #46134 on: April 26, 2023, 07:23:29 PM »
My view is that it doesn't make a difference if I am in fact a Muslim woman or a teenage atheist boy - In this day and age we can identify as different things at different points in time and change our minds at whim apparently. The arguments I make and opinions I post should stand on their own merits.
I think it makes all the difference if, for example, you are given an opinion based on your experiences as a muslim woman. Your opinion would have far more weight if you are actually a muslim woman than if your were an atheist boy. The point is that you cannot always detach the opinion from the context and that context will include the nature of who the person voicing that opinion is. Experiential-based opinions rely on, err, experience and that may involve professional expertise and experience just as much as any other experience.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #46135 on: April 26, 2023, 07:36:59 PM »
I remember Sriram posting something about Jain beliefs and you challenging him on his opinion, despite him claiming that he was Indian and advising you what most Indians think about atheism and Jainism. You didn't take his word for it that his opinion carried more weight than a Western person because he was Indian. You linked to research and formed your own opinion of what atheism means to Jains based on that research. Presumably you are not claiming that your ability to access and link to research regarding Jainism makes you an an expert in Jainism?
http://www.religionethics.co.uk/index.php?topic=18866.msg841046#msg841046
I challenged Sriram on his claim that Jains were atheist - which is clearly wrong as research demonstrated that 99% of Jains believed in god.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2021/06/29/religion-in-india-tolerance-and-segregation/

I've don't believe I've ever challenged Sriram on his claim (which you would presumably require evidence to believe) that he is from south India, which is what you are doing with me - challenging who I say I am. And just because Sriram is from south India doesn't mean he have professional expertise in Jainism, does it VG, and I don't think Sriram has ever claimed he is.

And I'm absolutely fine with being pulled up if I come out with a claim which is flat out wrong (just as Sriram did) - provide the evidence and prove me wrong, I have no issue with that. And if it is my area of expertise, fine (although I'd be being a shit expert, wouldn't I) - if I'm wrong, show me. So if I claim that early pluripotent stem cell differentiation is associated with Latin B upregulation and redistribution then pull me to shreds as I would be flat out wrong as it is Lamin A/C that exhibits such effects.

But pay me the courtesy of accepting that I am who I say I am, just as I do with you, Sriram and others here.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #46136 on: April 26, 2023, 07:57:11 PM »
There are a number of reasons for maintaining anonymity on a discussion board.
Of course - everyone has the right to remain completely anonymous, or to reveal exactly who they are, or to take a position in between. Revealing some information, but not fully revealing who they are. I think pretty well everyone here takes that middle option to a greater or lesser extent. But that doesn't mean posters should refuse to accept that we are who we say we are (on the basis of what information we choose to reveal). Sure, of course we could all be lying, but frankly I doubt it and regardless I think the MB is a better place if we trust that people are who they say they are, rather than distrusting them.

One of them is to provide a platform where members are encouraged to examine any evidence and arguments for themselves rather than to accept arguments from authority.
But surely one of the things which we rely on for evidence is the opinions of experts - frankly that's where evidence comes from. And we necessarily have to take a lot on trust, unless we are ourselves, genuinely expert. So if we are arguing on a point of science - I suspect most of us won't fully understand the full details (as we aren't scientists), so our opinion is swayed not just by the supposed strength or an argument (which we may not fully understand) but on the basis of who is making that argument (the scientific credentials) and the rigour of the process, which will typically involve peer-review by other experts. So I don't think you can completely detach the argument from the expert. Actually the only time you would be able to do so would be if you were yourself expert enough to consider yourself a peer to that expert.

In your scenario it would just be wrong for NS to argue on shipbuilding on the basis of his personal credentials as an expert ship engineer.
Actually I think that's exactly what we should do. Were it to turn out that NS was the world's leading authority on the Clyde shipbuilding industry in the first half of the 20thC and the topic strayed onto the topic of the Clyde shipbuilding industry in the first half of the 20thC then I think we'd be best to shut the f**k up and listen to him and benefit from his undoubted expertise and knowledge Frankly were that to be the case, he would have forgotten more than we'd all know put together.

If he has the appropriate knowledge he should of-course provide the appropriate arguments and links so that anyone reading would be able to follow and comment on the evidence, improving their own knowledge and making up their own minds.
But were he actually the leading expert, why would he link to the work of others, as he'd know more than them - he could just impart that knowledge directly. Of course you could argue that he could link to his own work, but to do that he'd have to break his anonymity and as you've pointed out previously we should never expect, let alone require, a poster to do that.

By the way I am in no way claiming I am a leading expert in any kind of general sense - albeit pretty well all high level academic researchers will have a teeny, tiny, tiny area of study where they know more than anyone else - that's how research works. That said I doubt that the topics on here would stray into that territory.

But even so were there to be a more general discussion about the shipbuilding research community, then we'd still be best to shut up and listen to NS as he'd still know more than the rest of us put together. And not all knowledge is available via a link - much is about know-how and experiential expertise. If you want to know how to perform surgery, best to learn directly from a pre-eminent surgeon, not simply to ask then to provide a bunch of links to lay-person web-sites on surgery.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 08:29:27 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #46137 on: April 26, 2023, 08:51:34 PM »

Actually I think that's exactly what we should do. Were it to turn out that NS was the world's leading authority on the Clyde shipbuilding industry in the first half of the 20thC and the topic strayed onto the topic of the Clyde shipbuilding industry in the first half of the 20thC then I think we'd be best to shut the f**k up and listen to him and benefit from his undoubted expertise and knowledge Frankly were that to be the case, he would have forgotten more than we'd all know put together.

But were he actually the leading expert, why would he link to the work of others, as he'd know more than them - he could just impart that knowledge directly. Of course you could argue that he could link to his own work, but to do that he'd have to break his anonymity and as you've pointed out previously we should never expect, let alone require, a poster to do that.

Of course he could link to his own work without breaking anonymity if he has maintained sufficient anonymity to that point. 

We can take him on trust or, on the basis of previous arguments, as an expert and trust his words. What I am saying is that it would be wrong for him to expect unquestioning acceptance. He needs to stay objective/independent. If it would take too long to provide sufficient evidence he should say so and provide pointers to good sources of information and stay available for questions arising - so any doubters can research further for themselves if they think it worthwhile.

Of-course, someone making incoherent arguments should not just link to web pages to make their case: we are not here to argue with other people's blogs.

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #46138 on: April 26, 2023, 09:25:11 PM »
VG,

For the reasons I have given, I don't think it's bizarre to describe certain phenomena as supernatural because it can't be investigated and demonstrated to exist by the scientific method. I provided a link to the dictionary for examples of the type of phenomena described as supernatural. Seems a good working definition to me. You can think it's bizarre if you want to.

Then you should (for the reasons I keep providing and you keep ignoring), and the “super” preface to “supernatural” still means “outside’, “beyond”, “over” etc nature (and not “not within current scientific understanding of nature”) no matter how much you would like it to be otherwise.

The adjective is available in language, so clearly people are using it without having demonstrated anything about the supernatural. You are welcome to insist they are wrong for using the adjective in this way. Your opinions and assertions on use of language is noted.

Your straw manning doesn’t get you off the hook. Yes of course authors use it in their fiction. You though (and other fellow believers too) don’t use it in that sense at all – you’ve already told us that you think a god/angel is “real”, not an adjectival synonym for fictional magic at all.     

Perhaps you should make up your mind about which meaning you're attempting here: "supernatural = objectively real", or "supernatural = a fictional device". Which is it?

The definition I used was the current scientific rules and methods for investigating and demonstrating the existence of something and the explanations for phenomena that came out of those methods.

No, you began with “current” scientific understanding, then you edited that to “science” in general (including presumably anything science may discover in future), and now you’ve reverted to “supernatural = phenomena science can’t explain as of today’s date”. Neither version tells you anything about whether a phenomenon actually is “supernatural” of course, but it'd be nice if you finally made up your mind about which horse you’re riding. You can ride either one, but you can’t ride both.     

I am not shifting anything - you just seem to have trouble understanding what I wrote. Given you stated that you are not certain about your opinions on here, it is understandable if you misunderstood what I originally wrote and have now gained a fresh perspective.

Yes you are, and you still don’t understand the point about certainty: 

“Tea is nicer than coffee”/”coffee is nicer than tea” are just two opposed opinions. They’re subjective, and thus epistemically equivalent. That’s what you claim we have here, but wrongly so.

“Paris is the capital of France”/”Paris is the capital of Peru” on the other hand are opposed claims of fact that can be verified and thereby one can be shown to be true and the other to be false. They’re objective claims in other words, and that’s what we actually have here (because the arguments that undo you haven’t been falsified, and so are sound).

Now to certainty: no matter how overwhelming the evidence that Paris is the capital of France and not Peru and so is objectively “true”, in epistemic terms still I cannot be certain of that. I can think it very likely, beyond all reasonable doubt, impossible to falsify etc but I cannot be certain.

This is where you make a fool of yourself by trying to throw shade on the arguments (“I’m glad you’ve admitted you’re not certain” etc) as if the absence of certainty allows you to dilute objective truths (ie, sound arguments) to subjective ones (ie, epistemic equivalence).         

You can go through whatever you like on here - whatever makes you happy and floats your boat. It's a forum for all, after all, and some posters may enjoy your perspective on things.

See above. If you won’t engage with the argument you can’t learn anything from the argument. 

« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 09:28:10 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46139 on: April 26, 2023, 09:25:23 PM »
I think it makes all the difference if, for example, you are given an opinion based on your experiences as a muslim woman. Your opinion would have far more weight if you are actually a muslim woman than if your were an atheist boy. The point is that you cannot always detach the opinion from the context and that context will include the nature of who the person voicing that opinion is. Experiential-based opinions rely on, err, experience and that may involve professional expertise and experience just as much as any other experience.
What difference would it make to you whether I am actually a Muslim woman or an atheist boy if you don't actually know which one I am?

I am actually an atheist 23 year old man by the way and am studying to become an accountant - a close friend of my mother's is a Muslim woman - everything I post on here is what I hear her talking about to my mother or what my mother tells me about her friend's life. I am actually thinking about becoming a Muslim but I can't quite shake my atheism. So many of you are certain of your beliefs, whereas I am unsure. I did study Shaolin kick-boxing though from when  I was a little kid up until I finished university - that is my area of expertise.  I was also in the OTC at university so am pretty handy with firing rifles. Anyway, now that I have given you my true background and area of expertise I am changing my name on here to The Accountant.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #46140 on: April 26, 2023, 09:39:13 PM »
VG,

How do I determine what is probable without any data or stats?

You do have “data or stats” – you have real world experience. Of all the people you’ve ever met how many have lied about their occupations? Likely very few, and there’s no particular reason to think that ratio should be significantly different on a mb.

Consider your car. How do you know it will start tomorrow morning? You don’t, but it’s a good car, it’s been regularly serviced and it’s always started in the past and so on balance you have a reasonable expectation that it will start again tomorrow.

The Prof gives every appearance from his posts of being who he says he is, so it’s reasonable for you to proceed on that basis. When you can’t falsify his arguments and resort instead to challenging his qualifications that’s just a type of ad hom

"Don't make me come down there."

God

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46141 on: April 26, 2023, 10:10:48 PM »
VG,

Then you should (for the reasons I keep providing and you keep ignoring), and the “super” preface to “supernatural” still means “outside’, “beyond”, “over” etc nature (and not “not within current scientific understanding of nature”) no matter how much you would like it to be otherwise.

Your straw manning doesn’t get you off the hook. Yes of course authors use it in their fiction. You though (and other fellow believers too) don’t use it in that sense at all – you’ve already told us that you think a god/angel is “real”, not an adjectival synonym for fictional magic at all.     

Perhaps you should make up your mind about which meaning you're attempting here: "supernatural = objectively real", or "supernatural = a fictional device". Which is it?

No, you began with “current” scientific understanding, then you edited that to “science” in general (including presumably anything science may discover in future), and now you’ve reverted to “supernatural = phenomena science can’t explain as of today’s date”. Neither version tells you anything about whether a phenomenon actually is “supernatural” of course, but it'd be nice if you finally made up your mind about which horse you’re riding. You can ride either one, but you can’t ride both.     

Yes you are, and you still don’t understand the point about certainty: 

“Tea is nicer than coffee”/”coffee is nicer than tea” are just two opposed opinions. They’re subjective, and thus epistemically equivalent. That’s what you claim we have here, but wrongly so.

“Paris is the capital of France”/”Paris is the capital of Peru” on the other hand are opposed claims of fact that can be verified and thereby one can be shown to be true and the other to be false. They’re objective claims in other words, and that’s what we actually have here (because the arguments that undo you haven’t been falsified, and so are sound).

Now to certainty: no matter how overwhelming the evidence that Paris is the capital of France and not Peru and so is objectively “true”, in epistemic terms still I cannot be certain of that. I can think it very likely, beyond all reasonable doubt, impossible to falsify etc but I cannot be certain.

This is where you make a fool of yourself by trying to throw shade on the arguments (“I’m glad you’ve admitted you’re not certain” etc) as if the absence of certainty allows you to dilute objective truths (ie, sound arguments) to subjective ones (ie, epistemic equivalence).         

See above. If you won’t engage with the argument you can’t learn anything from the argument.
I have engaged with your assertions and provided reasons why I don't accept them. This is where you make a fool of yourself where you try to compare a statement about the capital of France with your opinions on whether I have tied myself in knots or the meaning of the word supernatural. Here is a hint for you - the latter 2 can't be shown to be objectively true.

I suggest you educate yourself by reading this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernatural

Glad that your lack of certainty allows you to keep an open mind that you might be wrong in your opinion.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46142 on: April 26, 2023, 10:50:16 PM »
VG,

You do have “data or stats” – you have real world experience. Of all the people you’ve ever met how many have lied about their occupations? Likely very few, and there’s no particular reason to think that ratio should be significantly different on a mb.
I have not done a survey  or verified the occupations of people I meet IRL. I check for references from tradesmen and check if people are on the gas safety register before hiring them to tinker with my boiler. I look up the background of doctors or go with personal recommendations before I see them privately but I would still ask for a 2nd and 3rd opinion from other professionals and friends who are doctors. After all, just because they tell me they are an expert in their field, it would be in my best interests to verify with others any information they give me.

ETA - How have you come up with the conclusion that people on message boards are as trustworthy as people you meet IRL? What research have you done on whether people act the same way on the internet as they do IRL? This is the only MB I am on - I don’t have time to be on others - I barely have time for this forum and - my family think I’m on here too much.

For example, I have had different  doctors tell me I have/ don't have TB of the lungs in the past based on the same set of blood tests, chest x-rays and symptoms of persistent hacking cough and noticeable weight loss and extreme tiredness presented to them. A bronchoscopy at a London hospital did not pick up the TB in my lungs but a 2nd bronchoscopy about 15 months later did detect TB. Apparently this happens sometimes where a bronchial wash does not pick up TB cells, but none of the doctors seemed to be aware of this, so just breezily informed me the good news that the lab had not found TB therefore I did not have TB, leaving me free to go back to work to infect as many other people as possible. I had been taking medication to combat TB prescribed by a doctor in Sri Lanka based on an x-ray, blood test and my symptoms but the London hospital told me to stop taking the medication after the bronchoscopy as they were certain that I did not have TB.

Consider your car. How do you know it will start tomorrow morning? You don’t, but it’s a good car, it’s been regularly serviced and it’s always started in the past and so on balance you have a reasonable expectation that it will start again tomorrow.

The Prof gives every appearance from his posts of being who he says he is, so it’s reasonable for you to proceed on that basis. When you can’t falsify his arguments and resort instead to challenging his qualifications that’s just a type of ad hom.
PD doesn't give me the reasonable impression that he is an expert in all situations where Occam's Razor might apply , so will have to reserve my judgement on this. This Prof https://www.surrey.ac.uk/people/johnjoe-mcfadden on the other hand seems to have published a book on it so I can verify his credentials and also if I find the time, read the book https://johnjoemcfadden.co.uk/books/life-is-simple-how-occams-razor-set-science-free-and-unlocked-the-universe/

I am not going to blindly accept PD's claims of expertise on scientific research based on his say so, and am not persuaded of his expertise on the view that scientists have of Occam's Razor. I might have a discussion about PD's views on the issue once I have read Professor Johnjoe McFadden's book.

This is also an interesting read https://www.researchgate.net/publication/44324576_Simple_or_Simplistic_Scientists'_Views_on_Occam's_Razor
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 11:37:25 PM by The Accountant »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #46143 on: April 27, 2023, 07:59:43 AM »
The Prof gives every appearance from his posts of being who he says he is, so it’s reasonable for you to proceed on that basis. When you can’t falsify his arguments and resort instead to challenging his qualifications that’s just a type of ad hom.
Thanks BHS.

I've been on these boards since they were the BBC ones, using the same user name throughout, and throughout I have been clear about my background although I have chosen (for pretty obvious reasons) to remain anonymous. Indeed if you actual read through that history all the way back to the BBC times you will also see a footprint of my developing career, the taking on of new and more senior roles which have involved leading major research programmes across a wide variety of research discipline. It is deeply implausible that I would create such a complex and developing alter-ego for the purposes of a message board. And for what purpose. I'm not even sure VG was even posting when I started describing my background back on the BBC boards.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 08:12:21 AM by ProfessorDavey »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46144 on: April 27, 2023, 08:12:45 AM »

Yes his abilities are truly breathtaking. He was able to look into some statistics then pierce into my very soul to see my religiously zealous parents who indoctrinated me in the faith forcing me on sundays for further indoctrination at hard core sunday schools in a 1960's theocracy.

Trouble is.........it never happened like that but  Davey won't be told.

Don't even get me started on circular heirarchies of being  i.e. A gives rise to B gives rise to C gives rise to D gives rise to A.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 08:18:52 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #46145 on: April 27, 2023, 08:30:01 AM »
Yes his abilities are truly breathtaking. He was able to look into some statistics then pierce into my very soul to see my religiously zealous parents who indoctrinated me in the faith forcing me on sundays for further indoctrination at hard core sunday schools in a 1960's theocracy.
Vlad - you've never denied that you were sent to Sunday school as a child. Even in the 60s most parents didn't send their kids to Sunday school. Even in the 60s most kids didn't go to faith schools, but your parent chose to send you to a faith school - something again you've been clear about.

Regardless of your parents' motivations (we cannot clarify that) it is hard to deny that your upbringing was christian - faith schools and Sunday school attendance are typically key elements of a christian upbringing.

And please either provide evidence that I have ever described your parents as 'religious zealots' Vlad. If you can't, I suggest you withdraw that comment. Likewise any comment from me implying that your parents indoctrinated you.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 08:36:27 AM by ProfessorDavey »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46146 on: April 27, 2023, 08:41:56 AM »
Vlad - you've never denied that you were sent to Sunday school as a child. Even in the 60s most parents didn't send their kids to Sunday school. Even in the 60s most kids didn't go to faith schools, but your parent chose to send you to a faith school - something again you've been clear about.

Regardless of your parents' motivations (we cannot clarify that) it is hard to deny that your upbringing was christian - faith schools and Sunday school attendance are typically key elements of a christian upbringing.

And please either provide evidence that I have ever described your parents as 'religious zealots' Vlad. If you can't, I suggest you withdraw that comment. Likewise any comment from me implying that your parents indoctrinated you.
You still can't give it up can you?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46147 on: April 27, 2023, 08:56:37 AM »

Many village primary schools and secondary schools as such there were once were church of England schools. Also I don't think they were called faith schools then and I wonder if your conception of a 60's school is based on present Humanist UK and NSS conceptions (i.e some kind of stern madrassas).

If my parents were doing some thing radical in the sixties by sending their Kids, not the youngest though, to sunday school you are suggesting that they were more zealous in their religion than most others.

You still want my life to conform to the impressions of me from your supposed statistical oracles. Because of this I have to sadly opine that that's pretty sick.

To complain that your life is misrepresented is humbug.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 09:00:50 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Outrider

« Reply #46148 on: April 27, 2023, 09:21:55 AM »
Many village primary schools and secondary schools as such there were once were church of England schools.

Unfortunately, many of them still are.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46149 on: April 27, 2023, 09:29:15 AM »
Unfortunately, many of them still are.

O.
Let me just fetch me littlest violin.