Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3750009 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #46350 on: May 20, 2023, 12:56:59 PM »
VG,

Why would this be the way you define "most religious".

Why wouldn’t it be?

Aren't you essentially saying that your definition of "most religious" is those who are most fundamentalist, extremist and dogmatic?

Yes. I would also say that those who are most “footbally” are the club players who practice every day and play competitive matches on Sundays, as opposed to the people who have the occasional kick around in the park twice a year. Wouldn’t you?

This definition is problematic in many areas, not just religion e.g. politics, philosophy, ethics - I would disagree that "fundamentalists" or "extremists" should be synonymous with "most religious" or "most political" or "most ethical". Why should someone who is dogmatic or unable to change their political belief be considered the "most political"?

No it isn’t. It’s a use that makes sense to me for the reasons I’ve given and that most people would understand in ordinary conversation. It’s also completely irrelevant to the observation I made, namely that of the relatively few religious people l know the ones I would call “most” religious have been less joyous than the others.

If you want to divert us down another round of endless obfuscations and hair-splitting because you think you score points that way that’s a matter for you.   

Not really sure how "extremism" and "fundie" should be defined. After years of invoking the subjective idea that extremists oppose “fundamental British values”, the government’s current definition of extremism been decried as unfit for purpose, with some far right-wing groups even using it to their advantage. The UK government currently defines extremism as, “vocal or active opposition to fundamental British values, including democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs”. But this definition and its emphasis on “fundamental British values” allows the far right to lean further into nationalism and distance themselves from allegations of extremism"

https://theconversation.com/extremism-in-the-uk-new-definitions-threaten-human-and-civil-rights-157086

Why is it that if I told you that on the way home from Tesco this morning I’d seen a martian spaceship land in a field next to me you’d immediately challenge me on whether I was wrong about that because it was actually Sainsbury’s I'd been to?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 03:14:10 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #46351 on: May 20, 2023, 12:58:47 PM »
AB,

You have not known many Christians then.

Again: “S'funny – in my (purely anecdotal) experience…” etc.

Then again, is there any reason to think that the sample set of Christians you’ve known are significantly any more indicative of Christians as a whole than mine are? How for example would you compare the net “joy” the happy-clappies you know experience with the misery of unwed mothers in Ireland who had the Catholic church inflicted on them?”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/13/irish-church-and-state-apologise-for-callous-mother-and-baby-home-institutions   

CS Lewis was surprised by Joy.
GK Chesterton said Joy is the gigantic secret of the Christian.

here is a very entertaining talk on the subject if you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnVWYHoHLsM

That’s nice for them (and for the speaker). He seems to have forgotten though to start with some heartfelt apologies for the harm and misery people who also call themselves “Christian” have done over the centuries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuGjcCByVyc

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #46352 on: May 20, 2023, 12:59:15 PM »
NS,

If you are uncomfortable with the term you used, not my problem.

I wasn’t – you were.

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #46353 on: May 20, 2023, 12:59:59 PM »
NS,

What you claim I think:

Come on! BHS knows the religious are smelly, and AB knows atheists are just nasty.
(Reply 46341)

What I told you I actually think:

Not in my experience no - I've found that the more fundie the religionist, the more bitter and resentful they were. Conversely, the only two C of E clerics I've known have both been rather jolly. Go figure.
(Reply 46329)

If you run out of straw you could always pop round to Vlad’s – he has plenty of the stuff.

God

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46354 on: May 20, 2023, 10:15:00 PM »
VG,

Why wouldn’t it be?
Given your views on religion, I'm not surprised that you think a characteristic of being religious is to interpret religious texts literally and dogmatically. It's similar to racists thinking all black people are criminals. Ignorance leads to generalisations.

Yes. I would also say that those who are most “footbally” are the club players who practice every day and play competitive matches on Sundays, as opposed to the people who have the occasional kick around in the park twice a year. Wouldn’t you?
If your criteria is those who play regularly and take part in matches, then your criteria for most religious should be those who practise their religion regularly and give sermons rather than just focusing on those who are dogmatic and literal. Plenty of sermons that are not literal interpretations of texts and which are given by people who are willing to discuss differing interpretations.

And just to figure out your level of prejudice, do you think footballers who dive or foul other players or who rape women are more "footbally" than footballers who don't do those things? Just wanted to check in case you had some strange view that religious people who behave badly or commit crimes are more religious than those who don't.

No it isn’t. It’s a use that makes sense to me for the reasons I’ve given and that most people would understand in ordinary conversation.
Except it's not given that most people would have  a similar understanding to yours in ordinary conversation. Unless by "most people" you mean that you tend to converse with people who hold similar prejudices to you.
It’s also completely irrelevant to the observation I made, namely that of the relatively few religious people l know the ones I would call “most” religious have been less joyous than the others.
Given your strange and biased criteria for "most religious" that's not really surprising.

If you want to divert us down another round of endless obfuscations and hair-splitting because you think you score points that way that’s a matter for you.   

Why is it that if I told you that on the way home from Tesco this morning I’d seen a martian spaceship land in a field next to me you’d immediately challenge me on whether I was wrong about that because it was actually Sainsbury’s I'd been to?
It's always a pleasure to point out to you when you're wrong. If being shown to be wrong embarrasses you and you want to pretend that its "obfuscations" etc etc, that's a matter for you. Glad I confirmed that your criteria for "most religious" is based on your particular prejudices.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #46355 on: May 20, 2023, 10:40:40 PM »
AB,

Again: “S'funny – in my (purely anecdotal) experience…” etc.

Then again, is there any reason to think that the sample set of Christians you’ve known are significantly any more indicative of Christians as a whole than mine are? How for example would you compare the net “joy” the happy-clappies you know experience with the misery of unwed mothers in Ireland who had the Catholic church inflicted on them?”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/13/irish-church-and-state-apologise-for-callous-mother-and-baby-home-institutions   

That’s nice for them (and for the speaker). He seems to have forgotten though to start with some heartfelt apologies for the harm and misery people who also call themselves “Christian” have done over the centuries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuGjcCByVyc
I do not deny that evil has infiltrated the Christian regime - as it has infiltrated every other regime - religious or not.
My point was that those who have fully embraced the Christian faith have the inner joy of knowing that they are at one with their Lord and Saviour.  A joy which far surpasses the self centred pleasures of those who may claim to be Christian.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #46356 on: May 20, 2023, 10:58:33 PM »
I do not deny that evil has infiltrated the Christian regime - as it has infiltrated every other regime - religious or not.
My point was that those who have fully embraced the Christian faith have the inner joy of knowing that they are at one with their Lord and Saviour.  A joy which far surpasses the self centred pleasures of those who may claim to be Christian.
And the no true Scotsman rides again...

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #46357 on: May 20, 2023, 11:52:06 PM »

Exactly how does "evil" infiltrate regimes?
Does it have a strategy?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #46358 on: May 20, 2023, 11:58:13 PM »

My point was that those who have fully embraced the Christian faith have the inner joy of knowing that they are at one with their Lord and Saviour. 
Is that the same joy felt by young boys praying fervently that the next "pick" by a Christian Brother for "special" treatnent,, will not be them?
Because the same God that found your contact lense seems to have studiously ignored their prayers.
It's almost as if he doesn't exist or doesn't care. Which do you think it is?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #46359 on: May 21, 2023, 11:36:40 AM »
VG,

Given your views on religion, I'm not surprised that you think a characteristic of being religious is to interpret religious texts literally and dogmatically. It's similar to racists thinking all black people are criminals. Ignorance leads to generalisations.

Interpreting religious texts literally and dogmatically is “a” characteristic of religion, not because of my “views on religion” but because that’s observably a fact. Interpreting religious texts allegorically is another characteristic of religion. Some religious people do the former, some religious people do that latter and some are somewhere in between. Moreover I’ve never suggested otherwise.     

Accusing me of generalising about the religious in toto is just straw manning and does you no credit, and then comparing the straw man you've created to racist attitudes is contemptible. The ignorance here is in other words all yours, not mine.

If your criteria is those who play regularly and take part in matches, then your criteria for most religious should be those who practise their religion regularly and give sermons rather than just focusing on those who are dogmatic and literal. Plenty of sermons that are not literal interpretations of texts and which are given by people who are willing to discuss differing interpretations.

Dear god but you struggle. These things are not “my criteria” – they were just examples of the type of behaviours that would lead others to conclude that Fred is football mad, but Bill isn’t. There are plenty of other criteria available – attending talks about football for example.

Re the two of the people I was referring to for example, more than once my wife and I have commented on X (brought up in an evangelical family, bible literalist, convinced that god intervenes in her life on a regular basis, regular church attender etc) being “really religious”, and Y (cradle catholic, more agnostic then theistic these days, aware that he can’t justify what’s left of his beliefs but finding comfort in them nonetheless by lighting a candle in church when he’s passing) as not so religious. And here’s the thing: my wife and I both knew what we meant by that and, I dare, say, so would anyone else too.

If I saw a sign saying “cabbage’s for sale” I would work on the basis that the grocer didn’t know how to use apostrophes, not that he just one cabbage for sale. You presumably on the other hand would march and in and berate him for having more than one cabbage for sale. What do you get from it though?                 

And just to figure out your level of prejudice…

You don’t get to lie about what I’ve said than then call that a prejudice. Try to remember this in future.

…do you think footballers who dive or foul other players or who rape women are more "footbally" than footballers who don't do those things? Just wanted to check in case you had some strange view that religious people who behave badly or commit crimes are more religious than those who don't.

Your dim-wittedness is letting you down again here. There’s nothing in the rules of football that legitimises diving or fouling (let alone rape), so no interpretation of those rules however literal would justify these behaviours. On the other hand there’s plenty in the various religious texts that, if interpreted literally, would justify horrific behaviours (and often does too). And that’s why you’ve made a category error.

Can you see where you went wrong here?   

Except it's not given that most people would have  a similar understanding to yours in ordinary conversation. Unless by "most people" you mean that you tend to converse with people who hold similar prejudices to you.

Wrong again – are you seriously suggesting that in the example above most people wouldn’t understand perfectly well what was meant by X being more religious that Y (or, in that sample set of two, X being the “most” religious)?

Seriously though?

Given your strange and biased criteria for "most religious" that's not really surprising.

A word of advice for you here: if you insist on turning up on an mb to argue for a position you might want to consider trying it without relying on fallacies. Here for example you’ve poisoned the well with pejorative language (a fallacy) because you haven’t establishing first your premise – ie, that there’s “strange and biased criteria”. Good luck with it though.     

It's always a pleasure to point out to you when you're wrong.

It would probably say more about you than me if you ever you did manage to do that, but as it hasn’t happened yet your pleasure will have to remain postponed I’m afraid:

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias[2] whereby people with low ability, expertise, or experience regarding a type of task or area of knowledge tend to overestimate their ability or knowledge.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

If being shown to be wrong embarrasses you and you want to pretend that its "obfuscations" etc etc, that's a matter for you.

Explaining to you your hair-splitting and obfuscations isn’t pretending that you hair-split and obfuscate. The double whammy here is that not only do you do these things by looking for linguistic error to avoid the point, but you also get even that effort badly wrong when you try it.   

Glad I confirmed that your criteria for "most religious" is based on your particular prejudices.

Pigeon chess" or "like playing chess with a pigeon"[note 1] is a figure of speech originating from a comment made in March 2005 on Amazon by Scott D. Weitzenhoffer[2] regarding Eugenie Scott's book Evolution vs. Creationism: An introduction:

Debating creationists on the topic of evolution is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon — it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory. The pro-creationist reviewers of this book clearly demonstrate this to be true.

As such "debating techniques" are not limited to creationists, the phrase has entered the general Internet lexicon,[3] together with the source quotation, which is sometimes cited as an anonymous "Internet law". The reference to creationists is usually replaced with whatever group the user is arguing with.
Even the Bible advises against this sort of thing, in Proverbs 29:9: "If a wise man contendeth with a foolish man, whether he rage or laugh, there is no rest."

Andrew Schlafly was similarly described for his contributions to Usenet talk.origins in 2002:[4] "I tried it for a while, but arguing with Andy is like playing chess with a small child who doesn't know the rules
."

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Pigeon_chess
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 11:41:17 AM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #46360 on: May 22, 2023, 08:41:10 AM »
Exactly how does "evil" infiltrate regimes?
Does it have a strategy?
The strategy can be summed up in one word - temptation
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #46361 on: May 22, 2023, 09:13:37 AM »
What is instigating the temptation?
Albert Einstein

Alan Burns

« Reply #46362 on: May 22, 2023, 09:27:14 AM »
try reading the first book of the bible.

ekim

« Reply #46363 on: May 22, 2023, 09:30:27 AM »
? Diabolos/Adversary/Satan/Talking snake.

Alan Burns

« Reply #46364 on: May 22, 2023, 09:47:31 AM »
or this poem by Steve Turner:
The King of Twist
by Steve Turner

You twist with guile, you twist with charm,
You twist my mind, you twist my arm,
You twisted silver in my palm:
You are the King of Twist.

You twist and speak, you twist and stare,
You twist in grass, you twist in air,
You twist until the twist is there:

You twist the screw, you twist the vice,
You twist the rope, you twist the knife,
You twist the living out of life:

You twist the thorn, you twist the whip,
You twist the kiss, you twist the lip,
You twist the spear, you twist the tip:

You twist the nail that twists your fate,
You twist towards the judgement date,
Which is the final twist.
This is the final twist.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #46365 on: May 22, 2023, 09:50:22 AM »
Surely Heaven 17 instigated Temptation:

https://youtu.be/6iiH4mmpd74

Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #46366 on: May 22, 2023, 10:23:56 AM »
AB,

What "strategy" would that be?

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #46367 on: May 22, 2023, 10:25:08 AM »
AB,

Aside from your blind faith that its contents are true, why?

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #46368 on: May 22, 2023, 10:29:35 AM »
AB,

You twist with guile, you twist with charm,
You twist my mind, you twist my arm,
You twisted silver in my palm:
You are the King of Twist....

Wasn't Chubby Checker the King of Twist? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDGprGUreOc

God

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #46369 on: May 22, 2023, 10:51:27 AM »
Try answering the question
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46370 on: May 22, 2023, 10:57:36 AM »
You really like to make heavy weather of stuff don't you? Perhaps Blue was right after all.

Definition time:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/joy

My point is simple. I have friends who are religious who say they experience joy. I have friends who are not religious who say they experience joy.

Therefore joy is not contigent on belief or non-belief in a religion.

Now you can argue about what joy is, because it is personal and fairly subjective, but to make a claim that only some people are able to experience it is ludicrous.

I take great joy from Shostakovich's Festive Overture Op.96. I don't expect others to, it is a personal experience. I take great joy from watching and hearing a skylark over the bird sanctuary at Selsey.

Other people take great joy from things I'm not remotely interested in, it doesn't make their experience of joy any less valid because I'm not interested does it?

Do you have to go on so?
I don’t know whether you are trying to say all joy is equivalent here.
I think we have to wonder why the Archbishop of Canterbury is more likely to talk about joy than a celebrity atheist for instance.
What we have then is Christians talking more of joy. In terms of equivalence we must remember that Christians can also experience the joy of Rachmaninov, or football, or sex but not equate those joys with the joy of, as Alan puts it, being one with God and even a non believer should see the type of potential joy in having been the prodigal son or daughter being welcomed home by the Father.

Of course an atheist could argue that Christians have an inferior joy of the world (How do you measure that I wonder) as expressed in Douglas Adams’ horses laugh argument about enjoying the garden without the fairies at the bottom of it.

This of course appeals not only to the supposed superiority of atheist joy but seeks to ration joy in the process.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #46371 on: May 22, 2023, 11:27:44 AM »

Surely that is the nub of the question?

How can anyone possibly claim that all joy is equivalent as it is an entirely personal response.

MY point is AB can no more claim that his joy at being at one with God is any more joyous than me listening to Shostakovich.

We all experience joy in different ways and about different things. To me, God is not essential for experiencing joy, it is simply one of the many inputs that can provoke the feeling.

You appear to be trying to classify joy in the same way that others seek to classify love. All joy is equal, except some joy is more equal than others.

It simply is not a measurable thing.

As to joyous things I'll take a lark over the prodigal son returning anyday.

Of course an atheist could argue that Christians have an inferior joy of the world

I think if you look back to my orginal point that you appeared so critical of, I was trying to suggest that both Christians and non-Christians can experience joy.

I specifically disliked the "my joy is better than your joy" tenor of the argument that was playing out.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #46372 on: May 22, 2023, 11:56:10 AM »
Vlad,

He wasn’t.

I think we have to wonder why the Archbishop of Canterbury is more likely to talk about joy than a celebrity atheist for instance.

A dubious claim, but in any case why pick the A of C as your example rather than an example from, say, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sufism, Shamanism etc?     

What we have then is Christians talking more of joy. In terms of equivalence we must remember that Christians can also experience the joy of Rachmaninov, or football, or sex but not equate those joys with the joy of, as Alan puts it, being one with God and even a non believer should see the type of potential joy in having been the prodigal son or daughter being welcomed home by the Father.

Yet again, what you should have said there is the belief in “having been the prodigal son or daughter being welcomed home by the Father”. Joy derived from a belief tells you nothing though about the truthfulness of that belief – unless that is you also think that anyone who experiences joy from any religious belief at all also implies that his belief must also therefore be true too?   

Of course an atheist could argue that Christians have an inferior joy of the world (How do you measure that I wonder) as expressed in Douglas Adams’ horses laugh argument about enjoying the garden without the fairies at the bottom of it.

That’s not what DA argued. What he actually said was:

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Where’s the charge of “inferior” joy in that?

See also Richard Feynman who expressed as similar idea:

“I have a friend who's an artist and has sometimes taken a view which I don't agree with very well. He'll hold up a flower and say "look how beautiful it is," and I'll agree. Then he says "I as an artist can see how beautiful this is but you as a scientist take this all apart and it becomes a dull thing," and I think that he's kind of nutty. First of all, the beauty that he sees is available to other people and to me too, I believe. Although I may not be quite as refined aesthetically as he is ... I can appreciate the beauty of a flower. At the same time, I see much more about the flower than he sees. I could imagine the cells in there, the complicated actions inside, which also have a beauty. I mean it's not just beauty at this dimension, at one centimeter; there's also beauty at smaller dimensions, the inner structure, also the processes. The fact that the colors in the flower evolved in order to attract insects to pollinate it is interesting; it means that insects can see the color. It adds a question: does this aesthetic sense also exist in the lower forms? Why is it aesthetic? All kinds of interesting questions which the science knowledge only adds to the excitement, the mystery and the awe of a flower. It only adds. I don't understand how it subtracts.

The Pleasure of Finding Things Out: The Best Short Works of Richard P. Feynman

This of course appeals not only to the supposed superiority of atheist joy but seeks to ration joy in the process.

As you’ve just invented this supposed behaviour, no it doesn’t.

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46373 on: May 22, 2023, 12:23:07 PM »
Surely that is the nub of the question?

How can anyone possibly claim that all joy is equivalent as it is an entirely personal response.

MY point is AB can no more claim that his joy at being at one with God is any more joyous than me listening to Shostakovich.

We all experience joy in different ways and about different things. To me, God is not essential for experiencing joy, it is simply one of the many inputs that can provoke the feeling.

You appear to be trying to classify joy in the same way that others seek to classify love. All joy is equal, except some joy is more equal than others.

It simply is not a measurable thing.

As to joyous things I'll take a lark over the prodigal son returning anyday.

I think if you look back to my orginal point that you appeared so critical of, I was trying to suggest that both Christians and non-Christians can experience joy.

I specifically disliked the "my joy is better than your joy" tenor of the argument that was playing out.
It’s not my joy is better than your joy but “This joy is greater than that joy” and as a minister of the Church of Scotland said to me once “The joy which is OURS through Jesus Christ”...not mine or yours....

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #46374 on: May 22, 2023, 12:25:03 PM »
It’s not my joy is better than your joy but “This joy is greater than that joy” and as a minister of the Church of Scotland said to me once “The joy which is OURS through Jesus Christ”...not mine or yours....

A pedantic quibble and an exclusionary quote.

Doesn't cut it for me.