Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3748871 times)

Outrider

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #46650 on: June 14, 2023, 10:46:13 AM »
You have it totally wrong. The offer of eternal salvation is not a "carrot and stick" scenario.
Accepting Jesus as your saviour is not reciting empty words in the hope of reward.

You could argue that it's not the intent, I suppose, but anyone with any understanding of human nature can see that it would act in that fashion, and if it's having that effect (even if it wasn't the intent) then it is an incentive - the carrot.

Similarly, whilst the various depictions of fiery torment are at least debatable, the idea of 'isolation' from God for eternity is still interpreted by the faithful as a form of punishment - the stick.

Anyone with half an understanding of human nature would be able to see that, and this god in question is supposed to be omniscient, infinitely wise - so whilst the claim 'that's not the intent' could be made, it's the effect, and he knows it, and he's at best claiming on a technicality. Is that the paragon of morality that we're supposed to be aspiring to? "Well, technically..."

It is a life changing experience which involves seeking the good of others and loving the Lord your God with all your mind, heart and strength.

That's not what the instruction manual says.

In doing this you will discover joy and fulfilment in your earthly lifetime.

I've got that without the fairy tale, and without needing to run defence for a institutionally homophobic, misogynist organisation and its even more recidivist associates.

Eternal salvation will be a bonus - not an expectation.

But eternal punishment for the temporal 'crime' of not accepting claims with insufficient evidence is fine?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46651 on: June 14, 2023, 11:06:49 AM »
It's the logical conclusion from Alan's idea of his god who created the universe, ergo created leukaemia, and can cure it since Alan believes miracle cures, so Alan's god could save children dying of leukaemia but chooses not to. Alan worships the cause of their deaths.
I know you've brought this up a few times and this may be slightly off-topic from Alan's posts. Given death and pain is a part of the world we live in, just want to clarify - are you saying that you lack a belief in an omni higher power because there is death or pain in the world?

Or are you saying you lack a belief in an interventionist omni higher power because there is death or pain in the world?

Or is there a different point you are making?

And as a side issue, as a parent myself, I have to ask - what's so special about children dying of leukaemia or any illness for that matter - as opposed to anyone else dying of it? It seems kind of arbitrary to decide a child's life has more value or a child's death is more tragic. Putting emotion for our nearest and dearest aside, just wondering what the source is of that hierarchy of value or tragedy? Can levels of pain be objectively measured to create a hierarchy of suffering between adults and children?
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #46652 on: June 14, 2023, 11:11:43 AM »
I know you've brought this up a few times and this may be slightly off-topic from Alan's posts. Given death and pain is a part of the world we live in, just want to clarify - are you saying that you lack a belief in an omni higher power because there is death or pain in the world?

Or are you saying you lack a belief in an interventionist omni higher power because there is death or pain in the world?

Or is there a different point you are making?

And as a side issue, as a parent myself, I have to ask - what's so special about children dying of leukaemia or any illness for that matter - as opposed to anyone else dying of it? It seems kind of arbitrary to decide a child's life has more value or a child's death is more tragic. Putting emotion for our nearest and dearest aside, just wondering what the source is of that hierarchy of value or tragedy? Can levels of pain be objectively measured to create a hierarchy of suffering between adults and children?
It's about the contradiction on Alan's idea of a god. It's just a stark use of the Problem of Evil

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46653 on: June 14, 2023, 11:48:23 AM »
Yes, but he singles particular ones out for childhood cancers. Singles out particular parents to lose their children to a wasting disease for no reason. Doles out disabiities and illnesses and injuries, leaves orphans and the devastated.
Why me? or Why this person? is a natural question for anyone in cases like these and I am sure that atheists have no monopoly on them. We here, I think, have the luxury of not having these issues as an immediate personal concern and can discuss this more dispassionately as it were.

The issue is always going to arise where you have a person like God who can intervene. Sometimes, unless they are revealed to us, we aren't going to know the reasons.I.e. Unless you tell me, I don't know the reason why you do things.

Then again though, you aren't really asking questions, you are asserting that people are being singled out and that they are being singled out for punishment and there is ''no reason'' for it.

So after some thought, given that these are fair issues to raise if not to assert as you have. I think I can make a stab at each.

There is a story/ report in the bible where Jesus is discussing with a group why people are killed in shocking circumstances. Jesus chooses two contemporary instances, firstly a mass death through murder of a group of Galileans and secondly the death of 18 in a tower collapse in Jerusalem. The crowd posits that the deaths were punishment for particular sins. Jesus says no. And that strongly suggests no singling out, that the deaths were due to human evil and the natural outworking of the laws of nature, that those who died were no more deserving of a death penalty than people who survive.
Thus the Biblical Jesus disagrees with your thesis and conception of God.
Not to mention that God has provided, if you think he has meted out the disease, the cure and the will to overcome these scenarios...but of course the Christian conception of God is different from yours.

As an extra here I think the new testament, when Jesus and others speak prophetically, talks dramatically of mothers watching their children living through times where they would wish the children were not alive . My parents passed on but thinking about it I can imagine how it could have been should they have lived through and died of Covid but that is an aside and not the focus of this post.
Why do we have to qualify? Why is the qualification period harder for some than others? In what way do 'we' get there when what we are is left returning to nature to maintain the cycle for the next set of unfortunates? Why is the offer so cryptic? Which of the dozens of offers is or are the correct ones? Is the punishment for being fooled by the incorrect offer an eternity of suffering, an eternity of disconnection? Why is the punishment eternal when the 'crime' is temporal?

O.
I think you may again be asking for an alternative universe here one where you can reject and ignore yet still enjoy the benefit. Are all religions offering the same thing and salvation in the same sense? I don't think so.

Why is there no post mortem salvation? Philosophers would argue it's because there is no more acting rather existence is being instead. Is this biblical? The Bible does talk of a sin which cannot be forgiven either in this life or the next .......and that is about as far as I seem to be able to go.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 11:54:39 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Outrider

« Reply #46654 on: June 14, 2023, 12:40:58 PM »
Why me? or Why this person? is a natural question for anyone in cases like these and I am sure that atheists have no monopoly on them. We here, I think, have the luxury of not having these issues as an immediate personal concern and can discuss this more dispassionately as it were.

Well, I have two disabled children, so arguably I'm not as dispassionate as some on this, but I have the luxury of not actually believing any of this, so any anger is hypothetical because I don't think there is anyone to blame.

The issue is always going to arise where you have a person like God who can intervene. Sometimes, unless they are revealed to us, we aren't going to know the reasons.I.e. Unless you tell me, I don't know the reason why you do things.

In the classic depiction of the Christian deity - and it's typically the Christian depiction that I'm calling out because of where I live - God is not, though, just someone who could intervene - God isn't the guy in the trolley problem who's trying to choose whether to pull the lever, he's the guy that tide people to the rails and set the trolley in motion. God created these situations. It's explicit in the act of creation, given what we know about how time works, that God doesn't just create a start point and set the world running, all timeframes exist in parallel, so creation is creating all of it. My children didn't come out disabled because of the way the world developed according to the Christian model, God deliberately created a reality in which my children had those disabilities as part of that act of creation.

Then again though, you aren't really asking questions, you are asserting that people are being singled out and that they are being singled out for punishment and there is ''no reason'' for it.

So after some thought, given that these are fair issues to raise if not to assert as you have. I think I can make a stab at each.

I don't think it's an assertion, I've shown my reasoning - you can question that, obviously, but this isn't just an accusation pulled out of my arse and smeared onto the web.

There is a story/ report in the bible where Jesus is discussing with a group why people are killed in shocking circumstances. Jesus chooses two contemporary instances, firstly a mass death through murder of a group of Galileans and secondly the death of 18 in a tower collapse in Jerusalem. The crowd posits that the deaths were punishment for particular sins. Jesus says no. And that strongly suggests no singling out, that the deaths were due to human evil and the natural outworking of the laws of nature, that those who died were no more deserving of a death penalty than people who survive.

Except that, as I've shown before, that 'human evil' is part and parcel of creation, those were choices that God must have made.

Thus the Biblical Jesus disagrees with your thesis and conception of God.

If we take the book at face value, that God wants to wash his hands of it is neither here nor there.

Not to mention that God has provided, if you think he has meted out the disease, the cure and the will to overcome these scenarios...

What's the cure for amputation? For autism? For Tourettes? For MND? How do people born into places without developed healthcare like sub-Saharan Africa or the US access those cures that do exist? God created all these scenarios, knowingly.

but of course the Christian conception of God is different from yours.

It's not quite the situation where you can ask three Christians and get four or five depictions - part of the issue with this kind of discussion is that you're fighting against a constantly moving set of goal-posts. You address Calvinism and some Eastern Orthodox inspired theologian thinks you're straw-manning their depiction.

As an extra here I think the new testament, when Jesus and others speak prophetically, talks dramatically of mothers watching their children living through times where they would wish the children were not alive . My parents passed on but thinking about it I can imagine how it could have been should they have lived through and died of Covid but that is an aside and not the focus of this post.I think you may again be asking for an alternative universe here one where you can reject and ignore yet still enjoy the benefit.

I'm not asking for an alternative universe as such, I'm saying that notionally alternative universes were possible, even if they're universes where a different set of people suffered more or less - why this one? What's the justification for any chidren going through this in the first place, but notwithstanding that what's the justification for MY children going through that.

Are all religions offering the same thing and salvation in the same sense? I don't think so.

No, different religions take different stances, but they aren't claiming an all-loving, all-knowing, all-powerful uncontested creator deity who, with all those possibilities, chose wasps with a life-cycle that involves infesting children's eyes with their eggs.

Why is there no post mortem salvation? Philosophers would argue it's because there is no more acting rather existence is being instead.

I have no idea what that might even start to mean.

Is this biblical? The Bible does talk of a sin which cannot be forgiven either in this life or the next ...

Who gives a shit if it's Biblical, is it moral? Is it justifiable? Even if there were explanations in the Bible, and it doesn't seem that there are, are those explanations fair? Are any of the explanations morally acceptable?

and that is about as far as I seem to be able to go.

And that's where my problem arises - not with you specifically, but with that situation. You've dropped what appear from the outside to be a couple of deep-sounding on the surface but ultimately hollow talking points, but there's no rational case there, there's no plausible explanation for why this might be the case. It's just hand-waving and 'god works in mysterious ways' before the church goes away and either does nothing significant (fine) or starts campaigning to deny rights to people - don't ask me about the problem of evil, I have someone else's marriage to try and block because it's not enough that I can't justify the evil already in the world, I have to go try and add to it.

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46655 on: June 14, 2023, 01:29:58 PM »
Well, I have two disabled children, so arguably I'm not as dispassionate as some on this, but I have the luxury of not actually believing any of this, so any anger is hypothetical because I don't think there is anyone to blame.
I think it's more your conception of God portrayed as my conception of God I feel the need to pick up on rather than your unbelief here.
In the classic depiction of the Christian deity - and it's typically the Christian depiction that I'm calling out because of where I live - God is not, though, just someone who could intervene - God isn't the guy in the trolley problem who's trying to choose whether to pull the lever, he's the guy that tide people to the rails and set the trolley in motion. God created these situations. It's explicit in the act of creation, given what we know about how time works, that God doesn't just create a start point and set the world running, all timeframes exist in parallel, so creation is creating all of it. My children didn't come out disabled because of the way the world developed according to the Christian model, God deliberately created a reality in which my children had those disabilities as part of that act of creation.
There you go again your conception is a God who micromanages every event, Mine is one of the establishment of laws of nature and I think that's your view too even within your Godless universe without the God part.
To me your conception of God excludes the good and the joy in life that actually in your own scheme comes from God. It excludes God's promise of completeness, wholeness and wellness as demonstrated in the resurrection of Jesus leading to a deliberately bleak yet incomplete view of the universe. There are forms of christianity in which God does micromanage of course but Jesus himself in his discourse about the the events at the Tower of Siloam discounts those IMHO.

So I disagree with your effective view that if there were a God he deliberately created the universe and free will, and morality, and gravity and soft tissue and radiation etc. just so he could do bad things to children and then make no offer of, not only restitution but much, much more.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 01:33:35 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #46656 on: June 14, 2023, 01:37:03 PM »
I think it's more your conception of God portrayed as my conception of God I feel the need to pick up on rather than your unbelief here.There you go again your conception is a God who micromanages every event, Mine is one of the establishment of laws of nature and I think that's your view too even within your Godless universe without the God part.
To me your conception of God excludes the good and the joy in life that actually in your own scheme comes from God. It excludes God's promise of completeness, wholeness and wellness as demonstrated in the resurrection of Jesus leading to a deliberately bleak yet incomplete view of the universe. There are forms of christianity in which God does micromanage of course but Jesus himself in his discourse about the the events at the Tower of Siloam discounts those IMHO.

So I disagree with your effective view that if there were a God he deliberately created the universe and free will, and morality, and gravity and soft tissue and radiation etc. just so he could do bad things to children and then make no offer of, not only restitution but much, much more.
All of this from you started in response to me replying to Alan. Alan thinks his god helped him find his contact lens - which maybe the definition of micro management. Your god may well be a different idea to Alan's and your reply here is that it is explicitly different.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 02:25:39 PM by Nearly Sane »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46657 on: June 14, 2023, 01:56:20 PM »
More accurately, the Christian god metes out apparently random doses of unnecessary suffering and then plays a silly, infantile, and cruel game of hide-and-seek in order for people to find it, then requires ultimate narcissistic devotion in order to escape to a better existence after it's all over.

Such a god would be a vile monster.
I take it then that you can figure out a better way than the incarnation to demonstrate what God is to man. I am, as they say, all ears.

Outrider

« Reply #46658 on: June 14, 2023, 02:00:08 PM »
There you go again your conception is a God who micromanages every event, Mine is one of the establishment of laws of nature and I think that's your view too even within your Godless universe without the God part.

No, quite the opposite, I don't think God micromanages anything, because the depiction of God is that it exists outside of time. You can't create a universe and set it running, different parts of it are running through time at different rates depending on speed and gravity. Time is a dimension, and our future exists in parallel with our past, they are perspectives not realities. Creation has to happen in one lump, God selected a universe to create which included 1066 and my children's autism, but equally included whether or not Ukraine reclaims Crimea from Russia in the current conflict, whether humanity ever reaches out to the stars... the future already exists, we just haven't reached it yet.

To me your conception of God excludes the good and the joy in life that actually in your own scheme comes from God.

I accept that there are highlights as much as there are lowlights, I don't focus on them because it doesn't make my point as strongly, but it's equally as applicable. Why are some born into good health, why are some born with robust immune systems, why are some born into developed universal healthcare, why are some born into wealth and privilege? You see these as a product of humanity's failure to adequately manage the creation that God has given us (broadly?) - on a day-to-day basis I act as if that's the case, I try to convince people to be more equitable, to be more forgiving, to be more considerate. But my reaction is as preordained as whether or not they're going to listen, and nothing I do at this stage can change what's already happened.

It excludes God's promise of completeness, wholeness and wellness as demonstrated in the resurrection of Jesus leading to a deliberately bleak yet incomplete view of the universe.

If that promise is there, why is it not just offered? Why do some - but only some - people have to suffer lifelong hardship? Is the offer universal, because most Christian depictions suggest that it isn't, although there doesn't seem to be much agreement on what the qualifying criteria are.

There are forms of christianity in which God does micromanage of course but Jesus himself in his discourse about the the events at the Tower of Siloam discounts those IMHO.

Unfortunately for Jesus, his discourse doesn't address the implications of block time.

Free will isn't a thing, and Christianity in most depictions isn't compatible with God creating morality. I'm not saying that reality was created specifically so that some children could be made to suffer, but if the story's true it was made KNOWING that some people - and those specific people - would suffer, and yet the 'restitution' offered to all is equal, even if the access to it might not be (because we don't know how to achieve it).

If nothing else, the existence of multiple parallel conceptualisations about it just within Christianity is evidence that God hasn't done enough to make it clear - are some people supposed to be denied eternal reward because the instruction manual was insufficient?

O.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46659 on: June 14, 2023, 02:43:48 PM »
It's about the contradiction on Alan's idea of a god. It's just a stark use of the Problem of Evil

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil
Your link seems to have responses to the Problem of Evil from both religious and atheist moral perspectives.

Not sure what Alan's position is exactly - I lost interest once he kept asserting his incomprehensible concept of free will that is not dependent on prior inputs. And am not a fan of his sickly sentimental "love god with all your mind, heart, and strength" evangelising.

But my observation is that religions seem to be preoccupied with the idea of spiritual matters for individuals/ social groups e.g. finding spiritual meaning and purpose. People can of course look for meaning and purpose without it being in a religious context. But in that context it seems religions assert and consider spiritual development rather than just considering physical matters alone.

From a religious perspective people are encouraged to operate as a social community and to lean on each other in hard times to strengthen social bonds and develop spiritually and in that context pain, empathy, despair, faith and loss of faith etc can all be involved in spiritual development. So not sure I see the contradiction with religious people having a belief in an omni god and accepting pain as a part of life.

Though I get that if you eliminate consideration of the spiritual and look at it purely from the perspective of an individual's physical pain and if you assert that 'good' is elimination of individual pain, then 'gods' who seem to be able to eliminate individual pain and don't wouldn't be considered 'good' based on that definition of good.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46660 on: June 14, 2023, 02:58:21 PM »
No, quite the opposite, I don't think God micromanages anything, because the depiction of God is that it exists outside of time.
As maybe as that is, you have elected to enter an argument into the nature of a God who can intervene and as they say, in for a penny etc, within that argument you are asserting that such a God must be micromanaging, and how, to the point where he is acting in the universe for the end of universal misery. There is no universal misery, unbroken. You now have moved on to God either being this micromanager with nefarious ends or the God of Deism with no possibility, it seems, of God being something in between well I suppose two possibilities rather than one is an advance. IMHO You are proposing a universe that doesn't exist
  You can't create a universe and set it running, different parts of it are running through time at different rates depending on speed and gravity. Time is a dimension, and our future exists in parallel with our past, they are perspectives not realities. Creation has to happen in one lump, God selected a universe to create which included 1066 and my children's autism, but equally included whether or not Ukraine reclaims Crimea from Russia in the current conflict, whether humanity ever reaches out to the stars... the future already exists, we just haven't reached it yet.
Then we must be unique indeed since if it is all in situ then we must be scanning through it like reading a book....I don't think there is as yet final evidence for this theory of time which invites us to imagine history as it appears to God and then to thus absolve ourself of responsibility and our actual limitations and the determinism free will argument has been around for Donkeys unresolved.

I accept that there are highlights as much as there are lowlights, I don't focus on them because it doesn't make my point as strongly, but it's equally as applicable. Why are some born into good health, why are some born with robust immune systems, why are some born into developed universal healthcare, why are some born into wealth and privilege? You see these as a product of humanity's failure to adequately manage the creation that God has given us (broadly?) - on a day-to-day basis I act as if that's the case, I try to convince people to be more equitable, to be more forgiving, to be more considerate. But my reaction is as preordained as whether or not they're going to listen, and nothing I do at this stage can change what's already happened.

If that promise is there, why is it not just offered? Why do some - but only some - people have to suffer lifelong hardship? Is the offer universal, because most Christian depictions suggest that it isn't, although there doesn't seem to be much agreement on what the qualifying criteria are.

Unfortunately for Jesus, his discourse doesn't address the implications of block time.

Free will isn't a thing, and Christianity in most depictions isn't compatible with God creating morality. I'm not saying that reality was created specifically so that some children could be made to suffer, but if the story's true it was made KNOWING that some people - and those specific people - would suffer, and yet the 'restitution' offered to all is equal, even if the access to it might not be (because we don't know how to achieve it).

If nothing else, the existence of multiple parallel conceptualisations about it just within Christianity is evidence that God hasn't done enough to make it clear - are some people supposed to be denied eternal reward because the instruction manual was insufficient?

O.
Even if the universe is a block then I cannot see that with our rudimentary existence as scanners of the block we can determine whether the block is a triumph or a disaster a heaven or hell because we cannot see it in it's entirety...and yet this is precisely what you trying to make a judgment over.

I don't think God will turn away those who want him because he himself is the prize and anyone seeking eternal life without God has rather missed the point IMHO or to put it another way, the desire is not for God but what look like the benefits of God.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #46661 on: June 14, 2023, 03:00:41 PM »
I take it then that you can figure out a better way than the incarnation to demonstrate what God is to man. I am, as they say, all ears.

Firstly, what the fuck has that got to do with what I said? Secondly, the incarnation is just another example of the vile and unjust nature of the Christian god. It is something that was supposed to solve a problem that god itself created in the first place and to do so in a disgusting blood sacrifice way that wasn't even genuine - Jesus didn't stay dead.

Yet another example of god being a vile monster.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46662 on: June 14, 2023, 03:09:45 PM »
All of this from you started in response to me replying to Alan. Alan thinks his god helped him find his contact lens - which maybe the definition of micro management. Your god may well be a different idea to Alan's and your reply here is that it is explicitly different.
Well let's try to find a way from Alan's sentiment which doesn't involve God being a Cosmic Micromanager.

Alan is now friends with God and finds positive events happen with more frequency.
As a friend of God Alan is privy to a bit of Gods Omniscience.

On the other hand Alan's christianity might be the very thing that makes him poorer, or less well in the short term when his non christian friends might prosper in the short term.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46663 on: June 14, 2023, 03:12:30 PM »
Firstly, what the fuck has that got to do with what I said? Secondly, the incarnation is just another example of the vile and unjust nature of the Christian god. It is something that was supposed to solve a problem that god itself created in the first place and to do so in a disgusting blood sacrifice way that wasn't even genuine - Jesus didn't stay dead.

Yet another example of god being a vile monster.
Is there ever, ever going to be any prospect of you keeping your hair on?
All these are just assertions Stranger. We need to be wooed by you making a case.

Outrider

« Reply #46664 on: June 14, 2023, 04:09:02 PM »
Even if the universe is a block then I cannot see that with our rudimentary existence as scanners of the block we can determine whether the block is a triumph or a disaster a heaven or hell because we cannot see it in it's entirety...and yet this is precisely what you trying to make a judgment over.

It's not about whether there's an overall judgement, it's about whether there's a conceivable purpose.

I don't think God will turn away those who want him because he himself is the prize and anyone seeking eternal life without God has rather missed the point IMHO or to put it another way, the desire is not for God but what look like the benefits of God.

Again, there are a wealth of your Christian fellows who don't feel the same way, which I appreciate is not your fault. What that does eliminate, though, is the idea that whatever purpose there might be to life on Earth is related to entry to heaven - if God is going to offer it anyway, what's the point of mortal life? If we just have to have lived, why is there such a disparity between those lived experiences - even if you ignore block time and just consider that God is dropping new souls into the world at a moment in time, there are still stark differences in prospects, life expectancy and potential joy or suffering between the most and least fortunate. If God is 'moral', how is that fair?

O.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #46665 on: June 14, 2023, 04:40:43 PM »
Is there ever, ever going to be any prospect of you keeping your hair on?

Don't try and pretend that you know what mood I'm in - you're not a mindreader and, in fact, you don't seem able to recognise basic logical objections to your blind faith.

All these are just assertions Stranger. We need to be wooed by you making a case.

They seem perfectly valid to me. As far as I can see, I've just used the basic claims of (most versions) of the Christian faith. My interpretation of them as vile is, obviously, a value judgement.

If you think that what I said is inaccurate or you don't understand it, you can ask questions or post why you think they are wrong. You could:
  • Explain why the incarnation had any relevance to my previous post.
  • Explain why it wasn't there to solve a problem that god itself had created, i.e. that humans are all 'sinners' that needed 'saving'.
  • Explain why this 'solution' was not a brutal blood sacrifice, i.e. the crucifixion to 'pay for' our 'sins'.
  • Explain why this wasn't even a genuine blood sacrifice because Jesus only died for a few days.
  • Explain why you disagree with my judgement about it being vile is wrong, when it most certainly would be considered vile and unjust if a human had done the same thing today to 'pay for' somebody else's crimes.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #46666 on: June 14, 2023, 05:09:24 PM »
Well let's try to find a way from Alan's sentiment which doesn't involve God being a Cosmic Micromanager.

Alan is now friends with God and finds positive events happen with more frequency.
As a friend of God Alan is privy to a bit of Gods Omniscience.

On the other hand Alan's christianity might be the very thing that makes him poorer, or less well in the short term when his non christian friends might prosper in the short term.
Alan's god chose to find Alan's contact lens, while eatching children die of leukeamia, which Alan's god created snd could stop. Alan worships a god that creates and chooses children's death and pain

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46667 on: June 14, 2023, 05:34:31 PM »
Alan's god chose to find Alan's contact lens, while eatching children die of leukeamia, which Alan's god created snd could stop. Alan worships a god that creates and chooses children's death and pain
He watches everyone’s pain death and passage into eternity. That isn’t being denied and should physical death and pain be the final word that would be the most terrible thing but they aren’f As the resurrection of Jesus shows us.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #46668 on: June 14, 2023, 07:59:11 PM »
He watches everyone’s pain death and passage into eternity. That isn’t being denied and should physical death and pain be the final word that would be the most terrible thing but they aren’f As the resurrection of Jesus shows us.
So it could save children dying of the leukeamia that it invented but instead finds Alan's contact lens. Murdering prick. And you worship it
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 08:21:03 PM by Nearly Sane »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #46669 on: June 14, 2023, 08:26:24 PM »

So at more or less the precise point in time, three years ago now, and without going into too much detail of family circs, my wife and I had to accept formal responsibility for three grandchildren (then aged 13, 6 and 3), but this 'God' of yours presumably didn't think to intervene, or didn't care to, so as to prevent me from having terminal prostate cancer - the consequence of which is that my life expectency will probably not extend to the point that the younger one finishes her primary-school education.

Not a great advert for a 'loving omni-God' worthy of worship - and should it exist I'd like a not so quiet word with it, albeit no amount of twee apologetics could ever make me regard the whole 'God notion as anything other than unreconstructed bollocks.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 07:53:43 AM by Gordon »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46670 on: June 15, 2023, 08:02:07 AM »

Again, there are a wealth of your Christian fellows who don't feel the same way, which I appreciate is not your fault.
I'd like to know then who these people are because I would say most Christians believe that the trinity itself is the prize rather than heaven
What that does eliminate, though, is the idea that whatever purpose there might be to life on Earth is related to entry to heaven
I think entry into heaven isn't the goal but God is. My point being that people want to live for ever and have a place of shelter and sustenence and all good things with the actual presence of God an afterthought.
- if God is going to offer it anyway, what's the point of mortal life? If we just have to have lived, why is there such a disparity between those lived experiences - even if you ignore block time and just consider that God is dropping new souls into the world at a moment in time, there are still stark differences in prospects, life expectancy and potential joy or suffering between the most and least fortunate. If God is 'moral', how is that fair?
Why life? I think God created life for it's own sake, it's own development, it's own emergence into consciousness and enjoyment of itself, it's own achievement and self assessment and ultimately it's enjoyment of God himself.

I would hazard that pain is development of a warning system, psychological pain also.

In other words our correct response to pain is to alleviate and eliminate the pain but not the detecting faculty of pain.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 08:05:10 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46671 on: June 15, 2023, 08:42:37 AM »
    Don't try and pretend that you know what mood I'm in - you're not a mindreader and, in fact, you don't seem able to recognise basic logical objections to your blind faith.
    So I'm not to recognise an angry tone as angry and I'm supposed to recognise logical objections that haven't been expressed.....you are a master of the gaslight aren't you
    They seem perfectly valid to me. As far as I can see, I've just used the basic claims of (most versions) of the Christian faith. My interpretation of them as vile is, obviously, a value judgement.

If you think that what I said is inaccurate or you don't understand it, you can ask questions or post why you think they are wrong.
    Given the propensity of your posts to give out unintended information, that might be a good way to proceed
      • Explain why the incarnation had any relevance to my previous post.
      I think we were talking about God messaging humans, you proposing that God was hidden and obscure, I proposing that God taking on a material body was hardly hiding and obscuring. You called the incarnation vile and unjust. I disagree. Vile? sorry, doesn't push any of my buttons unjust? ditto.
      • Explain why it wasn't there to solve a problem that god itself had created, i.e. that humans are all 'sinners' that needed 'saving'.
      Sin is the problem and sin being the anti God attitude isn't really a problem of God it's a problem for us, so he is solving our problem on our behalf and for reasons that don't feel too outlandish to me he feels he has to do the divine equivalent of rolling his sleeves out and getting out on the shop floor as it were, get on the ground if you like.

• Explain why this 'solution' was not a brutal blood sacrifice, i.e. the crucifixion to 'pay for' our 'sins'.
      Why not put yourself up to suffer a brutal death? If you've decided you need to 'descend from heaven' to join the battle, why then shirk the death that many people experience. If you feel you have to address the lowest common denominator then a dignified Maida Vale liberal middle class departure doesn't fit
      • Explain why this wasn't even a genuine blood sacrifice because Jesus only died for a few days.
      It was a genuine sacrifice since Jesus died and God accepted the sacrifice
      • Explain why you disagree with my judgement about it being vile is wrong,
      Sacrificing yourself when you are the one with the means to save others isn't vile. What are you thinking of?
      when it most certainly would be considered vile and unjust if a human had done the same thing today to 'pay for' somebody else's crimes.[/li][/list]
      Vile and unjust by the humans carrying out the sentence, vile and unjust on the part of the human making the sacrifice? I'm not so sure.
      [/list][/list]
      « Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 08:54:28 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
      « Reply #46672 on: June 15, 2023, 09:22:31 AM »
      I lost interest once he kept asserting his incomprehensible concept of free will that is not dependent on prior inputs.
      Just to clarify, Gabriella, I have never claimed human free will to be not dependent on prior inputs.  We are consciously aware of prior inputs, and we have the freedom to contemplate what exists in our present state of conscious awareness and freedom to manipulate thoughts arising from our awareness.  This is the freedom which materialistic explanations fail to address, and it is the freedom we all experience as human beings.
      The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
      Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
      Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
      Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46673 on: June 15, 2023, 09:34:55 AM »
      So it could save children dying of the leukeamia
      God does save children dying of Leukemia but maybe not in the way you are thinking of
      that it invented
      Let me just look up the word invented...OK at this moment, I'm between God inventing the laws of nature and allowing any natural developments and your version where everything is an invention for a purpose, where God invents everything. Let's run with yours, God invents everything. So what is the purpose of leukaemia and why in so many cases Leukaemia is destroyed? Can I ask at this stage why you choose leukaemia and why not disease in general?
      but instead finds Alan's contact lens.
      Surely he can both maintain leukaemia and get involved in the hunt for Alan's contact lens?
      Murdering prick
      I read somewhere about a chap getting eaten by a crocodile. Did the crocodile murder the man? Sawney Bean was, allegedly, the last scottish cannibal, although I have my suspicions about Douglas Ross. He also ate people, there is no question that he murdered them. Does God use Leukaemia to kill people with malice aforethought? Is the attitude to and the definition of death you are insisting on appropriate to the overall aim of a universe created primarily to just change?
      Again I ask why you have alighted, specifically on Leukemia
      And you worship it
      I do worship a God but the jury is still out, I think, on whether I worship your conception of God or hold to your view of the universe he has created.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
      « Reply #46674 on: June 15, 2023, 09:47:37 AM »
      God does save children dying of Leukemia but maybe not in the way you are thinking ofLet me just look up the word invented...OK at this moment, I'm between God inventing the laws of nature and allowing any natural developments and your version where everything is an invention for a purpose, where God invents everything. Let's run with yours, God invents everything. So what is the purpose of leukaemia and why in so many cases Leukaemia is destroyed? Can I ask at this stage why you choose leukaemia and why not disease in general?Surely he can both maintain leukaemia and get involved in the hunt for Alan's contact lens? I read somewhere about a chap getting eaten by a crocodile. Did the crocodile murder the man? Sawney Bean was, allegedly, the last scottish cannibal, although I have my suspicions about Douglas Ross. He also ate people, there is no question that he murdered them. Does God use Leukaemia to kill people with malice aforethought? Is the attitude to and the definition of death you are insisting on appropriate to the overall aim of a universe created primarily to just change?
      Again I ask why you have alighted, specifically on LeukemiaI do worship a God but the jury is still out, I think, on whether I worship your conception of God or hold to your view of the universe he has created.
      So your god is the equivalent of a crocodile?