Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3749112 times)

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #46675 on: June 15, 2023, 09:58:56 AM »
I think we were talking about God messaging humans, you proposing that God was hidden and obscure, I proposing that God taking on a material body was hardly hiding and obscuring.

But we actually have not one shred of evidence that this actually happened. While there may have been somebody that the Jesus character in the bible was based on, there is no evidence that he had anything to do with a real god. So, yes, your god is hiding away.

You called the incarnation vile and unjust. I disagree. Vile? sorry, doesn't push any of my buttons unjust? ditto.

You missed the point. What was vile and unjust was the reason, i.e. to be a blood sacrifice to 'save' us from a condition that god itself created.

Sin is the problem and sin being the anti God attitude isn't really a problem of God it's a problem for us, so he is solving our problem on our behalf and for reasons that don't feel too outlandish to me he feels he has to do the divine equivalent of rolling his sleeves out and getting out on the shop floor as it were, get on the ground if you like.

This is just silly. If everybody is a 'sinner' that is a design flaw, not a choice by humans. If there was any choice - and that's ignoring the fact that we logically can't have any true free will with respect to an omnipotent, omniscient creator - then some people would choose to be sinless.

What's more, even if we ignore that, the requirement for a sadistic punishment and one that can be meted out to somebody else, is vile and unjust.

Why not put yourself up to suffer a brutal death?

Why was it even necessary? The point being to be a substitute and take the (unjust) punishment for 'sin' that god had imposed on all of humanity because some people ate the wrong fruit a long time ago, or whatever you think that represents.

It was a genuine sacrifice since Jesus died and God accepted the sacrifice

Except Jesus didn't really die, he was back again after a few days, and the necessity of such a sacrifice was vile and unjust in the first place. We rightly condemn torture and subsequent death as a barbaric punishment for anything.

Sacrificing yourself when you are the one with the means to save others isn't vile. What are you thinking of?

See above. The whole absurd, barbaric story is vile. The required, sadistic punishment for being what god had made us, the substitution, and the fake death. The whole lot is utterly absurd and repulsive.

Vile and unjust by the humans carrying out the sentence, vile and unjust on the part of the human making the sacrifice? I'm not so sure.

So you're perfectly okay with the idea that a just punishment for anything is torture and death, and would be fine if the person who was actually guilty could be let off this cruel and sadistic punishment if somebody who was innocent took their place? Wow.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46676 on: June 15, 2023, 10:00:43 AM »
So your god is the equivalent of a crocodile?
I don't think he would make a nice pair of shoes or handbag, no.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46677 on: June 15, 2023, 10:19:54 AM »
If everybody is a 'sinner' that is a design flaw, not a choice by humans. If there was any choice - and that's ignoring the fact that we logically can't have any true free will with respect to an omnipotent, omniscient creator - then some people would choose to be sinless.

What's more, even if we ignore that, the requirement for a sadistic punishment and one that can be meted out to somebody else, is vile and unjust.

Why was it even necessary? The point being to be a substitute and take the (unjust) punishment for 'sin' that god had imposed on all of humanity because some people ate the wrong fruit a long time ago, or whatever you think that represents.

Except Jesus didn't really die, he was back again after a few days, and the necessity of such a sacrifice was vile and unjust in the first place. We rightly condemn torture and subsequent death as a barbaric punishment for anything.

See above. The whole absurd, barbaric story is vile. The required, sadistic punishment for being what god had made us, the substitution, and the fake death. The whole lot is utterly absurd and repulsive.

So you're perfectly okay with the idea that a just punishment for anything is torture and death, and would be fine if the person who was actually guilty could be let off this cruel and sadistic punishment if somebody who was innocent took their place? Wow.
Vile and unjust verdicts really demand an underlying morality. Why should yours be right and mine not be, or Machiavelli's or God's?

If you are designing something with free will to operate for or against God and that's what you get that isn't a flaw...what are you thinking of and no, not everyone finally turns away from God. Sin obscures God but Christ deals with sin. God is not going to override free will.

Maeght

« Reply #46678 on: June 15, 2023, 10:31:39 AM »
Just to clarify, Gabriella, I have never claimed human free will to be not dependent on prior inputs.  We are consciously aware of prior inputs, and we have the freedom to contemplate what exists in our present state of conscious awareness and freedom to manipulate thoughts arising from our awareness.  This is the freedom which materialistic explanations fail to address, and it is the freedom we all experience as human beings.

Materialistic explanations do address the appearance of free will.

Stranger

« Reply #46679 on: June 15, 2023, 11:05:56 AM »
...our present state of conscious awareness...
...freedom to manipulate thoughts...

Gibberish Alert!

Alan, these idiotic, meaningless phrases that you never even try to explain, are not magic mantras that make all the logical objections to your ridiculous notion of 'free will' go away. You need to stop running away and properly define what they mean or stop using them. Anything else is basically dishonest as you are pretending that you have an explanation that you can't or won't explain.

Stranger

« Reply #46680 on: June 15, 2023, 11:18:48 AM »
This is the freedom which materialistic explanations fail to address, and it is the freedom we all experience as human beings.

Utter nonsense. Nothing that humans do contradicts a fully materialistic explanation. You are claiming that we have some sort of 'freedom' that is both logically self-contradictory and impossible to demonstrate, i.e. the ability to have done differently in exactly the same circumstances without that difference being random. The only way you could possibly demonstrate that would be if we could literally roll back time and then somehow prove that any difference we might observe is non-random.

It's also totally untrue that we "all experience" such impossible freedom. Nothing we experience can possibly demonstrate it either.

Why can't you inject a bit of logical reasoning and honesty into your posts on this subject, instead of just making bold, unevidenced and unargued assertions and using gibberish phrases?

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46681 on: June 15, 2023, 11:32:31 AM »
Just to clarify, Gabriella, I have never claimed human free will to be not dependent on prior inputs.  We are consciously aware of prior inputs, and we have the freedom to contemplate what exists in our present state of conscious awareness and freedom to manipulate thoughts arising from our awareness.  This is the freedom which materialistic explanations fail to address, and it is the freedom we all experience as human beings.
Hi AB - I am not sure what you mean when you assert that we are consciously aware of prior inputs and manipulate our thoughts - do you mean we are aware of some inputs and not others?

I also don't really understand why you think the freedom to manipulate some of our thoughts is not a function of the mind produced by the brain, which is why thoughts including morality and religious belief can be affected when the brain is damaged. Of course it is possible that something other than the brain is involved in thoughts and you are of course free to think that manipulating our thoughts is not related to the workings of the brain, but as there is a lack of evidence for your assertion I personally don't see much to be gained by me adopting your view. So I lost interest in your free will theories.

Regarding being aware of prior inputs, I am aware of some inputs but my experience is that there are lots of prior inputs that I am not consciously aware of but that do influence my decisions. I haven't tried but if I ever try therapy or psychoanalysis, I suspect it is possible that some of those unconscious inputs that influence my thoughts, behaviour and decisions may be identified / discovered. So not really sure how you describe my will as free if I act on those unconscious thoughts.

And I think some people will have thoughts and inputs that I will never have or experience because my nature/ nurture is different from theirs, and their thoughts and experiences will be unique to them. So I will never be able to manipulate my thoughts to have the same thoughts they have. I am limited to the thoughts that occur because of my unique past experiences and genetics.

My experience is that I also have thoughts and reactions I don't want to have and when I consciously become aware of the thoughts, I cannot not think them even though I want to. Based on my past experiences I can envisage why thinking about them and acting on them might not be in the best interests of me/ others but as I have not devoted the time to learning meditation techniques to control my thoughts better, I may still act on those thoughts. Again this does not seem like the idea of free will that you assert.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 02:41:16 PM by The Accountant, OBE, KC »
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46682 on: June 15, 2023, 11:46:21 AM »
Vile and unjust verdicts really demand an underlying morality. Why should yours be right and mine not be, or Machiavelli's or God's?

If you are designing something with free will to operate for or against God and that's what you get that isn't a flaw...what are you thinking of and no, not everyone finally turns away from God. Sin obscures God but Christ deals with sin. God is not going to override free will.
Just checking - how does Christ deal with sin? Are there different interpretations - so for example do some Christians believe if they commit sins (because god doesn't override free will) but they believe in the Trinity, then Jesus' sacrifice means when they die they will still go to heaven? 

While other Christians believe that in the above scenario, they will only go to heaven if they repent prior to dying?

And do some other Christians believe that even if they repent, god might not accept their repentance so they still won't go to heaven?
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

Outrider

« Reply #46683 on: June 15, 2023, 12:56:45 PM »
I'd like to know then who these people are because I would say most Christians believe that the trinity itself is the prize rather than heaven

Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I thought, it's not that I think there are Christians who see God rather than Heaven as the goal, it's that I think there are huge numbers of Christians who believe that God will be turning people away in their masses.

I think entry into heaven isn't the goal but God is.

Regardless, if that's the case it still removes the idea that life on Earth is some sort of qualification round or test for entry to heaven - it doesn't explain, though, what the point of life on Earth is. Why does God put us here, and does that reason somehow justify the differential rates of hardship and suffering?

My point being that people want to live for ever and have a place of shelter and sustenence and all good things with the actual presence of God an afterthought.Why life? I think God created life for it's own sake, it's own development, it's own emergence into consciousness and enjoyment of itself, it's own achievement and self assessment and ultimately it's enjoyment of God himself.

In which case why the secrecy? Why the hiding away? Why not come and guide so that the suffering and hardship aren't there? Why make this world, why pick these people to suffer and these people not to suffer? If life is for us to experience, why is the experience significantly more enjoyable for some than others?

I would hazard that pain is development of a warning system, psychological pain also.

Perhaps - why make some people more in need of the warning than others? Or why have the pain disproportionate to the need, whichever it is?

In other words our correct response to pain is to alleviate and eliminate the pain but not the detecting faculty of pain.

And yet so many of us, so many people in history, don't have the capacity to do anything about the pain. You're contending that a loving god put me here, and then gave me children that suffer that I cannot change, whilst other people are born into the lap of luxury, and I'm supposed to just accept this? If this is an unthinking, unfeeling, accidental universe that sort of outcome just is, it can't be explained but nothing in that tries to explain it. But if there's a cause, if there's a something making a choice, that choice needs to be justified, needs to be explained and nothing that I can conceive of makes any sort of sense if that explanation involves and all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving being instituting this life.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #46684 on: June 15, 2023, 01:37:17 PM »
We are consciously aware of prior inputs, and we have the freedom to contemplate what exists in our present state of conscious awareness and freedom to manipulate thoughts arising from our awareness.

If you have been hypnotised, Alan Burns version of free will as described, disappears in a puff of smoke.

This is the freedom which magic-soul explanations fail to address
Unless of course wished away by ever more fantastical explanations.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46685 on: June 15, 2023, 02:32:41 PM »
Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I thought, it's not that I think there are Christians who see God rather than Heaven as the goal, it's that I think there are huge numbers of Christians who believe that God will be turning people away in their masses.

Regardless, if that's the case it still removes the idea that life on Earth is some sort of qualification round or test for entry to heaven - it doesn't explain, though, what the point of life on Earth is. Why does God put us here, and does that reason somehow justify the differential rates of hardship and suffering?

In which case why the secrecy? Why the hiding away? Why not come and guide so that the suffering and hardship aren't there? Why make this world, why pick these people to suffer and these people not to suffer? If life is for us to experience, why is the experience significantly more enjoyable for some than others?

Perhaps - why make some people more in need of the warning than others? Or why have the pain disproportionate to the need, whichever it is?

And yet so many of us, so many people in history, don't have the capacity to do anything about the pain. You're contending that a loving god put me here, and then gave me children that suffer that I cannot change, whilst other people are born into the lap of luxury, and I'm supposed to just accept this? If this is an unthinking, unfeeling, accidental universe that sort of outcome just is, it can't be explained but nothing in that tries to explain it. But if there's a cause, if there's a something making a choice, that choice needs to be justified, needs to be explained and nothing that I can conceive of makes any sort of sense if that explanation involves and all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving being instituting this life.

O.
Are you saying that your moral value is that it is immoral to create anything if the subject or the thing that you create has a flaw?

Or are you saying that you think it is only immoral if the things created don't all have the same flaw?

Or have I misunderstood?

Outrider

« Reply #46686 on: June 15, 2023, 02:59:57 PM »
Are you saying that your moral value is that it is immoral to create anything if the subject or the thing that you create has a flaw?

I'm saying that, whether it's a flaw or a design choice, I don't see a moral justification for a deliberate creation that not just causes harm and suffering, but is so apparently indiscriminate in the suffering that it inflicts. What, if it's a creation, is the purpose of making people go through a temporal life prior to an eternal afterlife? If it's not a selection process (as Vlad seems to be suggesting his conception is, forgive me if I've misinterpreted that) why have it? And if it is a selection process (or for some other benefit) why create a situation where some people's experience of that life is so vastly, unfathomably worse than others? Not just different, worse.

Or are you saying that you think it is only immoral if the things created don't all have the same flaw?

I don't understand how an omnipotent, omniscient God could create something 'flawed', so either that description isn't the case or this isn't a flaw but a deliberate choice. I don't know that it's a flaw, the preamble seems to suggest that it's impossible for it to be a flaw (because of God's perfection) so there must presumably be a rationale, but I've not seen anyone suggest one that makes sense.

Or have I misunderstood?

I'm the communicator, if you've misunderstood it's because I've been unclear - hopefully I've clarified here.

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46687 on: June 15, 2023, 03:18:33 PM »
I'm saying that, whether it's a flaw or a design choice, I don't see a moral justification for a deliberate creation that not just causes harm and suffering, but is so apparently indiscriminate in the suffering that it inflicts. What, if it's a creation, is the purpose of making people go through a temporal life prior to an eternal afterlife? If it's not a selection process (as Vlad seems to be suggesting his conception is, forgive me if I've misinterpreted that) why have it? And if it is a selection process (or for some other benefit) why create a situation where some people's experience of that life is so vastly, unfathomably worse than others? Not just different, worse.

I don't understand how an omnipotent, omniscient God could create something 'flawed', so either that description isn't the case or this isn't a flaw but a deliberate choice. I don't know that it's a flaw, the preamble seems to suggest that it's impossible for it to be a flaw (because of God's perfection) so there must presumably be a rationale, but I've not seen anyone suggest one that makes sense.

I'm the communicator, if you've misunderstood it's because I've been unclear - hopefully I've clarified here.

O.
Thanks for the clarification. I will explore your other point on the morality issue later if that's ok (especially as people's morals often differ as they are subjective) as I just want to clarify the idea of a flaw first. From my understanding of Islam (which could of course be flawed) there has to be a flaw in anything created - as in a monotheistic concept the creator is supposed to be unique and omni and therefore only the creator can be unflawed and everything else must be flawed. Does that make sense in that context?

I can't speak for the Christian perspective as I find the whole Jesus, Trinity, god as man theory unnecessarily and overly-complicated.

Stranger

« Reply #46688 on: June 15, 2023, 03:40:26 PM »
If you have been hypnotised, Alan Burns version of free will as described, disappears in a puff of smoke.

Something that is logically impossible can't exist in the first place, so neither can it disappear. The whole idea is an incoherent fantasy.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #46689 on: June 15, 2023, 04:00:25 PM »

I can't speak for the Christian perspective as I find the whole Jesus, Trinity, god as man theory unnecessarily and overly-complicated.

You're certainly not alone in that :) In fact, I get the impression that there has been a substantial number of Christians in the modern era, probably since the theologian Paul Tillich and certainly since The Myth of God Incarnate was published back in the 1970s who no longer believe in such things in any meaningful sense. What is known as the "Arian Heresy" has of course been around in various forms for much longer than that, and believing Trinitarians get very vexed whenever it raises its head.
Of course Trinitarian beliefs haven't diminished in the slightest among American fundamentalists or the whole Catholic Church, but the former instance at least is no recommendation.
I suppose the whole mystification of the Vicarious Atonement makes a bit more sense according to the Arian view, rather than the gobbledegook of the idea that God sacrificed himself in the Incarnate Second Person of the Trinity, but as others have already commented, the whole grisly scenario remains morally outrageous in whichever form it is presented. Notwithstanding the fact that Isaiah and Micah (especially) in the Old Testament had pointed out the bankruptcy and spiritual worthlessness of such bloodthirsty scenarios. My view, for what it is worth, is that all this mystifying bollocks got into the New Testament as a result of the tortured speculations of St Paul, who was drawn to various Jewish ideas about the 'scapegoat' and the tale of Abraham and Isaac, which provided some mental balm for his guilty conscience. The later Gospels then ran with the idea and introduced it into the words of Jesus. Significantly, there is only one reference to it in Mark, the earliest gospel, "And to give his life as a ransom for many" (Mark 10:45)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 04:26:48 PM by Dicky Underpants »
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Outrider

« Reply #46690 on: June 15, 2023, 04:03:04 PM »
From my understanding of Islam (which could of course be flawed) there has to be a flaw in anything created - as in a monotheistic concept the creator is supposed to be unique and omni and therefore only the creator can be unflawed and everything else must be flawed. Does that make sense in that context?

To a degree, yes, but if the Islamic perspective of Allah is it is perfect - unflawed - why can't it create something perfect? Presumably that's not a restriction so much as a choice - any flaw would be a design choice? Either way, even if the flaw is something beyond Allah's control, why create something in the first place?  I confess, my understanding of Islamic thoughts on what's required to enter the afterlife is limited to what I presume are some caricatures based on Western parodies of the presumed thinking of terrorists, so I don't come to this with any preconceptions beyond I presume it's somewhat similar to Christianity given that they are both sects of the same core religion.

O.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #46691 on: June 15, 2023, 04:06:38 PM »
To a degree, yes, but if the Islamic perspective of Allah is it is perfect - unflawed - why can't it create something perfect? Presumably that's not a restriction so much as a choice - any flaw would be a design choice? Either way, even if the flaw is something beyond Allah's control, why create something in the first place?  I confess, my understanding of Islamic thoughts on what's required to enter the afterlife is limited to what I presume are some caricatures based on Western parodies of the presumed thinking of terrorists, so I don't come to this with any preconceptions beyond I presume it's somewhat similar to Christianity given that they are both sects of the same core religion.

O.
It's a generic issue to 'perfect' deities. If their choice has imperfection in it, they cannot be perfect

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #46692 on: June 15, 2023, 04:08:15 PM »
You're certainly not alone in that :) In fact, I get the impression that there has been a substantial number of Christians in the modern era, probably since the theologian Paul Tillich and certainly since The Myth of God Incarnate was published back in the 1970s? who no longer believe in such things in any meaningful sense. What is known as the "Arian Heresy" has of course been around in various forms for much longer than that, and believing Trinitarians get very vexed whenever it raises its head.
Of course Trinitarian beliefs haven't diminished in the slightest among American fundamentalists or the whole Catholic Church, but the former instance at least is no recommendation.
All those killed for lack of an iota...

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46693 on: June 15, 2023, 04:41:41 PM »

O.
Religions are often hierarchical - that certainly seems to be my impression of the Abrahamic religions. From a monotheistic perspective it would make sense to me that only one thing - the thing at the top - can be perfect. Everything else that is below that one thing would therefore need to have imperfections in order to be on a lower tier. I can't answer why anything exists/ was created - but given that everything exists, a hierarchy doesn't seem inconsistent with creation or life. Maybe the purpose of creation is to establish a hierarchy.

My understanding is that Islam, as with many other religions, concerns itself with the idea of spiritual development - I think that is sort of the raison d'ętre of many religions including Islam.  Of course there is no evidence of 'spiritual' but that would be the faith part of religion. Adversity and pain or the fear and stress of failing, of not measuring up seems to be  considered part of spiritual development. Maybe there is spiritual development from being happy all the time or free from suffering or pain - I wouldn't know - but for me that just doesn't fit with my interpretation of the religious narrative of enduring through difficulties.

I'm interested in religion because it's a gateway for me to ponder on my flaws and the flaws in the world around me and how flaws impact me and others and to ponder on possible meanings and purpose I can derive from what I observe around me. I can't speak for anyone else.

ETA - sorry forgot to respond to the other bit you brought up about the after-life. It seems largely metaphorical to me, though others may read it literally. The descriptions in the Quran of heaven seem to be what would appeal to desert people but I assume it's supposed to represent some sort of end to pain and suffering that is part of spiritual growth while alive. There are lots of interpretations - some Muslims think you have to believe in a hierarchy with a perfect creator in order to have a chance to get to whatever heaven represents;  some take it very literally i.e. you have to be a Muslim in order to have any chance of getting to a literal heavenly garden beneath which rivers flow; but whatever the interpretation of the reward it all depends on each individual's intentions and deeds in how they 'play the hand they are dealt' and on the creator's mercy. My understanding from some of the stories is that if you face more challenges than others this is taken into account in the judgement of your actions and intentions.

I think it's reasonable to think the whole concept of spiritual hierarchy and judgement is immoral - morality is subjective so if that's your perspective, I get it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 05:01:09 PM by The Accountant, OBE, KC »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46694 on: June 15, 2023, 05:05:11 PM »
Just checking - how does Christ deal with sin?
Given that the bible talks of Sin and sins he takes sins and sin on himself and in himself. Since the consequence of sin is spiritual damage leading to spiritual death. An exchange takes place between his life and the life of the believer. Of course what I have given you is the barest of outlines which of course can be couched in a number of analogies, Christus Victor, Penal substitution, ransom to name a few
Are there different interpretations - so for example do some Christians believe if they commit sins (because god doesn't override free will) but they believe in the Trinity, then Jesus' sacrifice means when they die they will still go to heaven?
There have been teachers who have said there is no forgiveness for post baptismal sin. Much of the church might say that apostacy might be unforgiveable and some suggest that the unforgiveable sin is rejection of God's offer of Salvation. You may have heard of Christian doctrines that guarantee salvation by means of a change of state which is hard to recognise as not permanent, something like regeneration(Born again) Conversion.

Catholicism proposes some venial and mortal sins 
While other Christians believe that in the above scenario, they will only go to heaven if they repent prior to dying?
I think that is more a Roman Catholic attitude and perspective. Historically people sometimes put off Baptism till the end of life to avoid post baptismal sin
And do some other Christians believe that even if they repent, god might not accept their repentance so they still won't go to heaven?
I'm not familiar with any doctrine of salvific uncertainty since there are many statements of God's fidelity toward the repentant although Christians might doubt the veracity of their own repentance.

A doctrine and attitude of salvific uncertainty attitude might be more redolent of a theology where God has ''scales of justice''.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 05:08:19 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46695 on: June 15, 2023, 06:15:04 PM »
You're certainly not alone in that :) In fact, I get the impression that there has been a substantial number of Christians in the modern era, probably since the theologian Paul Tillich and certainly since The Myth of God Incarnate was published back in the 1970s who no longer believe in such things in any meaningful sense. What is known as the "Arian Heresy" has of course been around in various forms for much longer than that, and believing Trinitarians get very vexed whenever it raises its head.
I saw an interesting take on Arianism from Bart Ehrman which made me think even atheists haven't properly understood arianism.
I hear Donald Trump is edging dangerously close to membership of the Holy Trinity in some circles.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46696 on: June 15, 2023, 06:17:11 PM »

For what?

Outrider

« Reply #46697 on: June 15, 2023, 09:48:31 PM »
Religions are often hierarchical - that certainly seems to be my impression of the Abrahamic religions. From a monotheistic perspective it would make sense to me that only one thing - the thing at the top - can be perfect. Everything else that is below that one thing would therefore need to have imperfections in order to be on a lower tier. I can't answer why anything exists/ was created - but given that everything exists, a hierarchy doesn't seem inconsistent with creation or life. Maybe the purpose of creation is to establish a hierarchy.

I could understand a hierarchy of complexity, or wonder, or any number of other things, but I can't grasp how a perfect being could create something imperfect - implicit in the perfection of the being is perfect capacity, so anything it created couldn't be flawed. It might have 'drawbacks' - from a given perspective - but those would have to be by design and deliberate or the perfection of that top-tier being is called into question - how could that perfect being, literally, make a mistake?

My understanding is that Islam, as with many other religions, concerns itself with the idea of spiritual development - I think that is sort of the raison d'ętre of many religions including Islam.  Of course there is no evidence of 'spiritual' but that would be the faith part of religion.

I get the idea that you'd have to take the claims on faith - I don't like it, but logically I can understand it, I can even put aside my scepticism to accept for the sake of argument that the physical life can lead to some sort of 'spiritual' development. That implies, though, that the life on Earth is in some way a price that has to be paid for the afterlife, or a qualifier - which I feel Vlad was specifically suggesting was NOT his take on things. If that's the case, why do some have to pay a higher price, why do some have to suffer more? And if it's a 'trial', why are the rules so opaque, why does Allah permit so many conflicting sets of instruction to persist with equally little reason to support any of them? Why, if Islam is the way, did God wait until the middle-ages to finally give people the 'right' way?

Adversity and pain or the fear and stress of failing, of not measuring up seems to be  considered part of spiritual development.

Why can the perfect being not make us already spiritually developed?

Maybe there is spiritual development from being happy all the time or free from suffering or pain - I wouldn't know - but for me that just doesn't fit with my interpretation of the religious narrative of enduring through difficulties.

Even if both are just different ways to spiritual development, or perhaps ways to different sorts of spiritual development, it still doesn't give a rationale as to why some people are afforded so much easier a path to that development.

I'm interested in religion because it's a gateway for me to ponder on my flaws and the flaws in the world around me and how flaws impact me and others and to ponder on possible meanings and purpose I can derive from what I observe around me. I can't speak for anyone else.

I'm interested in religion because it influences the world around me, and if I can start to make sense of its claims perhaps I can better understand the people who are making them.

ETA - sorry forgot to respond to the other bit you brought up about the after-life. It seems largely metaphorical to me, though others may read it literally. The descriptions in the Quran of heaven seem to be what would appeal to desert people but I assume it's supposed to represent some sort of end to pain and suffering that is part of spiritual growth while alive.

And here's where I risk the accusation of hypocrisy a little, having asked all that. If heaven, or whatever the equivalent in Islam, is that removal of pain and suffering... in what way is it life? Can there be joy or satisfaction without the counterpart, do they lose meaning? 

There are lots of interpretations - some Muslims think you have to believe in a hierarchy with a perfect creator in order to have a chance to get to whatever heaven represents;  some take it very literally i.e. you have to be a Muslim in order to have any chance of getting to a literal heavenly garden beneath which rivers flow; but whatever the interpretation of the reward it all depends on each individual's intentions and deeds in how they 'play the hand they are dealt' and on the creator's mercy.

Sorry, I don't want to put words in your mouth here, are you saying you believe that people have these different beliefs, or are you saying that the afterlife people reach will, or at least could, be dependent upon what they believed in life?

My understanding from some of the stories is that if you face more challenges than others this is taken into account in the judgement of your actions and intentions.

Yeah, that concept of 'judgment' I don't really understand, either, perhaps because I can't get past my sense that our sense of free-will is mistaken, but surely the 'perfect' being doesn't need to see us in action to judge? Surely, moreover, that perfect being makes us with whatever flaws or failures we have, so in what sense are we being judged for fulfilling the destinies that we were given? I suppose if free will were viable then you'd presume the perfect being would adequately weight everyone's scores to take into account the trials they faced, but it still doesn't explain why there needs to be such a variation in prospects for people.

I think it's reasonable to think the whole concept of spiritual hierarchy and judgement is immoral - morality is subjective so if that's your perspective, I get it.

Again, my understanding of Islam is limited, is morality subjective in much of Islamic thinking. I know most of the Christians that I'm aware of adopt as stance of absolute morality based on God, but then often conflate immorality and sin, but I don't really know any of the Islamic stances on that.

O.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46698 on: June 15, 2023, 10:36:07 PM »
For what?
For me.

I meant I prefer the simplicity of there just being one omni that is nothing like humans, rather than a god as man concept.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46699 on: June 16, 2023, 12:17:50 AM »
I could understand a hierarchy of complexity, or wonder, or any number of other things, but I can't grasp how a perfect being could create something imperfect - implicit in the perfection of the being is perfect capacity, so anything it created couldn't be flawed. It might have 'drawbacks' - from a given perspective - but those would have to be by design and deliberate or the perfection of that top-tier being is called into question - how could that perfect being, literally, make a mistake?
I don't think it's supposed to be a mistake. I meant that in a hierarchy there would be perfection at the top and whatever comes lower in the hierarchy such as human life can't be perfect - so imperfections in life would be the struggles and challenges people face in the natural world.

At the top of the hierarchy would be the omni capable of perfect justice, and humans are lower in the hierarchy so are less perfect as they have the capacity to do bad things for selfish reasons often because of an attachment to wealth or power or life at the expense of others - we want what we want. The spiritual development could be to try to aspire to be better - e.g. to train ourselves to overcome the self-interest or wanting what we want that might be detrimental to others or it could be to learn to tolerate and accept and be patient in challenging circumstances. 

I get the idea that you'd have to take the claims on faith - I don't like it, but logically I can understand it, I can even put aside my scepticism to accept for the sake of argument that the physical life can lead to some sort of 'spiritual' development. That implies, though, that the life on Earth is in some way a price that has to be paid for the afterlife, or a qualifier - which I feel Vlad was specifically suggesting was NOT his take on things. If that's the case, why do some have to pay a higher price, why do some have to suffer more? And if it's a 'trial', why are the rules so opaque, why does Allah permit so many conflicting sets of instruction to persist with equally little reason to support any of them? Why, if Islam is the way, did God wait until the middle-ages to finally give people the 'right' way?
The belief in Islam is that Prophet Muhammed is the last messenger (bringing guidance and revelation) not the only messenger - so in Islamic traditions the same monotheistic message and guidance to overcome unsuitable desires has been given to humans everywhere since they existed and could think and reason and contemplate. What people do with that information is up to them - discard it, change it, follow bits of it and ignore other bits etc. Also, society develops and changes based on environment and circumstances and the way it is led, so presumably the guidance can't be too specific otherwise it becomes unwieldy and so it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that parts of the guidance will be open to interpretation and can change or be revised over time depending on context.

I don't think spiritual development is like Maths or Physics or Chemistry - it's not an exact science with a method and some boxes to tick - it seems more about feelings and individual circumstances and the individual's battle with themselves - hence this battle is known as the major jihad in Islam whereas actual fighting in a real war  is called the minor jihad.
In terms of the after-life being a win - I'm not sure how you are using the word "win" but in Islam there is a concept of actions having consequences and a judgement of our choices after death and different grades of reward and punishment for choices made, which takes into account and makes allowances for the individual circumstances people faced. In Islam there is a belief that the perfect being will have perfect judgement and the smallest atom of good and bad and belief and disbelief will be taken into account.  I'm not sure we can accurately look at other people and from the brief glimpses we have into their lives, know what they are going through and what they are feeling and make a judgement on who is suffering more than someone else or who is feeling fulfilled or grateful in a way that might not be apparent.

Why can the perfect being not make us already spiritually developed?
Spiritually developed in what way -so we always do the right thing without an inner struggle and no one is in any pain? I guess that character type would be represented by angels, who have no will or desire except to serve and obey. Humans represent something more spiritually / morally complex - maybe it's more noble when someone struggles against themselves to try to do the right thing in the face of obstacles and challenges.

Even if both are just different ways to spiritual development, or perhaps ways to different sorts of spiritual development, it still doesn't give a rationale as to why some people are afforded so much easier a path to that development.
Not sure there is a rationale exactly - but from experience I would say we form a view of ourselves and what is important or worthy and what we are profoundly grateful for by seeing the difference in circumstances between our life and someone else's. I think spiritual development is about being aware of these differences and choosing based on our reaction to this awareness.

I'm interested in religion because it influences the world around me, and if I can start to make sense of its claims perhaps I can better understand the people who are making them.
Fair enough - given we can't know which, if any, of the claims made are right or wrong, it seems worth at least finding out why the people making the claims think the way they do.

And here's where I risk the accusation of hypocrisy a little, having asked all that. If heaven, or whatever the equivalent in Islam, is that removal of pain and suffering... in what way is it life? Can there be joy or satisfaction without the counterpart, do they lose meaning?
I don't know what heaven really is or if it is a metaphor and yes the way it is often portrayed sounds kind of boring to me and I think I prefer life now, and to be honest I would prefer just dying and that being the end. There are people I have loved but no one I desperately want to see again if they died or I died, though it would be interesting if that were possible. I still think about my grandmother most days and she died when I was 9, but I would be ok never seeing her again - if all I ever get are my memories of her, that is still plenty. I have been fortunate in that my children are alive, so I don't know what it would feel like to have an unbearable ache for them or feel almost mad with grief if they were to die. Would I feel I want to be with them again in a heaven? I don't know - right now for me, death feels like it goes hand in hand with life and grief is something that is inevitable and to be endured. But maybe I haven't quite grasped the concept of heaven - who knows.

Sorry, I don't want to put words in your mouth here, are you saying you believe that people have these different beliefs, or are you saying that the afterlife people reach will, or at least could, be dependent upon what they believed in life?
I think it could be dependent on their beliefs in life but I'm not sure we can really know what we believe in or quantify it - at least there are various stories in Islam about a grain of belief being sufficient or an atom's worth of good, which I interpreted to mean that it is impossible for us to quantify or judge belief in some supernatural concept - it's such a nebulous thing - it's a thought or a series of changing thoughts about something which has no defined agreed terms.

Yeah, that concept of 'judgment' I don't really understand, either, perhaps because I can't get past my sense that our sense of free-will is mistaken, but surely the 'perfect' being doesn't need to see us in action to judge? Surely, moreover, that perfect being makes us with whatever flaws or failures we have, so in what sense are we being judged for fulfilling the destinies that we were given? I suppose if free will were viable then you'd presume the perfect being would adequately weight everyone's scores to take into account the trials they faced, but it still doesn't explain why there needs to be such a variation in prospects for people.

Again, my understanding of Islam is limited, is morality subjective in much of Islamic thinking. I know most of the Christians that I'm aware of adopt as stance of absolute morality based on God, but then often conflate immorality and sin, but I don't really know any of the Islamic stances on that.

O.
In Islamic beliefs, the idea seems to be that the perfect being judges us on intentions rather than just on actions and outcomes - did you want to do something good / pleasing to Allah - e.g. was that thought in your head or what motivated you or were you motivated by your own desire for something or to satisfy your own need?

I think our actions and the feelings and thoughts those actions and their consequences create in us has an input on our next thought and action. Like with CBT we can learn to change thought patterns and behaviour. I don't think it would have the same effect on us if it all just happened theoretically.

I guess morality for us is subjective - stories we are told for example is that stealing is wrong, but in times of famine the punishment for stealing was suspended by the Caliph , who was a companion of Prophet Muhammad when he was alive and became leader of the Arab-Muslim empire after his death. Verses in the Quran are open to varied interpretation and were interpreted differently by different Islamic scholars soon after Prophet Muhammad died. Sounds subjective to me. There is a saying amongst Muslims: "And Allah knows best" to indicate that whatever morality we decide upon as individuals, Allah will be the final judge not us.