Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3749271 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #46700 on: June 16, 2023, 09:36:00 AM »
For me.

I meant I prefer the simplicity of there just being one omni that is nothing like humans, rather than a god as man concept.
As I learnt about Christianity in my early twenties, a different experience to 'learning' it in RE or sunday school, I became very excited and energised by it and becoming a basic theist was a joyous moment. I liked it but as God became someone encountered I experienced what some Christians have described Christianity as ''having to be the Bad news before it becomes the good news. The existence of God and the encounter was a challenge to my morality and ego and I could not call the encounter 'preferred'. John Bunyan describes the same thing. Not committing to Christ at that point would for me have been the crowning dishonesty...and loss.

The God and man concept? There are elements of this I think even in Islam. To enter into Islam, a man's name and his position before God is an integral part of becoming acceptable to God and avoid his rejection as far as I understand. I of course welcome your view on this.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 09:44:15 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #46701 on: June 16, 2023, 10:41:56 AM »
Vlad,

Not committing to Christ at that point would for me have been the crowning dishonesty...

And there was me thinking that your turning up on an mb routinely to misrepresent the arguments that falsify you was the "crowning dishonesty"....   
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Outrider

« Reply #46702 on: June 16, 2023, 10:45:03 AM »
I don't think it's supposed to be a mistake. I meant that in a hierarchy there would be perfection at the top and whatever comes lower in the hierarchy such as human life can't be perfect - so imperfections in life would be the struggles and challenges people face in the natural world.

I get the idea of a hierarchy, I could understand a decrease in 'flaws' towards the top if it was being built from the bottom up - each layer is an improvement on the one below. If you start from the perfection at the top, though, why is a perfect being restricted to creating the next tier down with 'flaws/drawbacks/limitations'?

At the top of the hierarchy would be the omni capable of perfect justice, and humans are lower in the hierarchy so are less perfect as they have the capacity to do bad things for selfish reasons often because of an attachment to wealth or power or life at the expense of others - we want what we want. The spiritual development could be to try to aspire to be better - e.g. to train ourselves to overcome the self-interest or wanting what we want that might be detrimental to others or it could be to learn to tolerate and accept and be patient in challenging circumstances.

That presumes that humanity has the freedom to change events, which as I've said elsewhere I'm not sure that I can countenance, but let's presume that is the case. It still doesn't explain WHY that stage is even necessary? What's the moral justification for putting human beings through a life that is, for at least a reasonable portion of them, painful and oppressive. Even if from this imperfections argument the proximate cause is humanity mismanaging a system which could be better, it's still foreseeable and the perfect god is still putting new souls into this meat grinder to suffer.

The belief in Islam is that Prophet Muhammed is the last messenger (bringing guidance and revelation) not the only messenger - so in Islamic traditions the same monotheistic message and guidance to overcome unsuitable desires has been given to humans everywhere since they existed and could think and reason and contemplate.

I'm more familiar with books 1 and 2, but the vast, vast difference in the tone and specifics of the Old Testament, New Testament and the Qu'ran doesn't really support that.

What people do with that information is up to them - discard it, change it, follow bits of it and ignore other bits etc.

OK, but you have those three distinctly different versions of what's supposed to be the same message, all of which claim that they and they alone are the true way of achieving the next life, and then there are other systems outside of those. Even within the New Testament you have the supposed words of Jesus giving one way to achieve eternal life ('Follow the commandments') and Paul's teachings giving another ('The way is through the life and death of Jesus'). What people do with the information is perhaps up to individual people, but why has god allowed so many competing messages?

Also, society develops and changes based on environment and circumstances and the way it is led, so presumably the guidance can't be too specific otherwise it becomes unwieldy and so it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that parts of the guidance will be open to interpretation and can change or be revised over time depending on context.

Some ethical precepts though are, presumably, timeless? If you're creating a work to guide people why would you tacitly condone slavery and actively encourage forced marriage and rape (under certain circumstances) but be proscriptive about haircuts and foreskins (sometimes)? What's the ethical argument in favour of forcing the marriage of virgins 'captured' in battle? What's the ethical problem with penis-tips and round beards? And if these aren't ethical but arbitrary rules, what's their purpose?

I've heard the argument that the prophets were human, and whilst the inspiration might have been divine the words were human, and the message has inevitably been filtered through the cultural lens of those prophets, but again that's presumably foreseeable to the perfect god who must have known that would make the messages not just functionally useless but actively dangerous in the wrong hands that were demonstrably scrabbling for anything to justify their views.

I don't think spiritual development is like Maths or Physics or Chemistry - it's not an exact science with a method and some boxes to tick - it seems more about feelings and individual circumstances and the individual's battle with themselves - hence this battle is known as the major jihad in Islam whereas actual fighting in a real war  is called the minor jihad.

From outside the faith, that smacks of victim-blaming: the idea that, say, a disabled person has the disability they do because they somehow needed it to spiritually develop in a particular way. It doesn't change the fact that the raw material of that spiritual person is being produced by the deity, so it's still their choice to make a soul that way to require that life.

In terms of the after-life being a win - I'm not sure how you are using the word "win" but in Islam there is a concept of actions having consequences and a judgement of our choices after death and different grades of reward and punishment for choices made, which takes into account and makes allowances for the individual circumstances people faced.

So Islam - and please don't read TOO much into this analogy - is more akin to the Norse religion where you have different 'destinations' in the afterlife, rather than the Christian depiction of heaven with which I'm more familiar which is a more uniform perfection for those that make it and damnation for those that don't binary (notwithstanding Catholocism's wierd 'Limbo' notion which I don't pretend to understand well enough to get into here)?

In Islam there is a belief that the perfect being will have perfect judgement and the smallest atom of good and bad and belief and disbelief will be taken into account.  I'm not sure we can accurately look at other people and from the brief glimpses we have into their lives, know what they are going through and what they are feeling and make a judgement on who is suffering more than someone else or who is feeling fulfilled or grateful in a way that might not be apparent.

As an end-point that sounds fair enough, it's just the process to get there that seems unfair - certainly the idea of a variegated afterlife to suit the individual sounds better than the blandless of Christianity's sit and bask in God's glory notion.

Spiritually developed in what way -so we always do the right thing without an inner struggle and no one is in any pain?

I have no idea, spirituality is a concept so divorced from anything demonstrable that I struggle to apply any meaning to it. Doing the right thing is ethics and morality, and my Christian-dominated culture has spent centuries very deliberately separating those two. Whether there is inner struggle or outer struggle, whether there is pain - perhaps they are needed, somehow, but I haven't seen anyone explain a conceivable reason why they might be that fits into the framework, it all seems so arbitrary.

I guess that character type would be represented by angels, who have no will or desire except to serve and obey.

Islam follows from Judaism, and accepts the Old Testament as part of its premises, so presumably the concept of Lucifer as the fallen angel is part of the background? How can Lucifer fall, how can Lucifer rebel, if angels have no free will? Or is Lucifer not considered to be a part of Islamic thought for some reason?

Humans represent something more spiritually / morally complex - maybe it's more noble when someone struggles against themselves to try to do the right thing in the face of obstacles and challenges.

And I can see that process making sense, but it doesn't explain why some need to struggle more than others.

Not sure there is a rationale exactly - but from experience I would say we form a view of ourselves and what is important or worthy and what we are profoundly grateful for by seeing the difference in circumstances between our life and someone else's. I think spiritual development is about being aware of these differences and choosing based on our reaction to this awareness.

And that's where I struggle with the idea of faith. I can see accepting ideas without rigorous evidence - there are various fringe scientific ideas that I think more or less likely based on nothing demonstrable but rather whether they appeal to something inside - but I can't understand accepting an idea that doesn't make sense. Not being able to prove it is one thing, but not being able to explain how it could operate is just a step too far.

I don't know what heaven really is or if it is a metaphor and yes the way it is often portrayed sounds kind of boring to me and I think I prefer life now, and to be honest I would prefer just dying and that being the end. There are people I have loved but no one I desperately want to see again if they died or I died, though it would be interesting if that were possible. I still think about my grandmother most days and she died when I was 9, but I would be ok never seeing her again - if all I ever get are my memories of her, that is still plenty.

See, without the prospect of something 'else', faith and religion have even less point. If we have only this life, why restrict according to arbitrary rules if there is no 'reward' or consequence?

I have been fortunate in that my children are alive, so I don't know what it would feel like to have an unbearable ache for them or feel almost mad with grief if they were to die. Would I feel I want to be with them again in a heaven? I don't know - right now for me, death feels like it goes hand in hand with life and grief is something that is inevitable and to be endured. But maybe I haven't quite grasped the concept of heaven - who knows.

I don't tend to get too sentimental, but watching the various 'levels' of response from animals to the loss of humans and other animals does more to convince me that consciousness spreads beyond humanity than any amount of neurological or psychological claims I've read. Death does seem to bring life home, and grief is an intrinsic part of most of our lives.

I think it could be dependent on their beliefs in life but I'm not sure we can really know what we believe in or quantify it - at least there are various stories in Islam about a grain of belief being sufficient or an atom's worth of good, which I interpreted to mean that it is impossible for us to quantify or judge belief in some supernatural concept - it's such a nebulous thing - it's a thought or a series of changing thoughts about something which has no defined agreed terms.

If only all the religious were so humble about the extent of what they do or don't know :)

Can I just say, before I forget, a thank you to you (and Vlad) - for whatever reason, this has been one of the more insightful and civilised back and forths I've had on these boards for quite some time.

O.
In Islamic beliefs, the idea seems to be that the perfect being judges us on intentions rather than just on actions and outcomes - did you want to do something good / pleasing to Allah - e.g. was that thought in your head or what motivated you or were you motivated by your own desire for something or to satisfy your own need?

I think our actions and the feelings and thoughts those actions and their consequences create in us has an input on our next thought and action. Like with CBT we can learn to change thought patterns and behaviour. I don't think it would have the same effect on us if it all just happened theoretically.

I guess morality for us is subjective - stories we are told for example is that stealing is wrong, but in times of famine the punishment for stealing was suspended by the Caliph , who was a companion of Prophet Muhammad when he was alive and became leader of the Arab-Muslim empire after his death. Verses in the Quran are open to varied interpretation and were interpreted differently by different Islamic scholars soon after Prophet Muhammad died. Sounds subjective to me. There is a saying amongst Muslims: "And Allah knows best" to indicate that whatever morality we decide upon as individuals, Allah will be the final judge not us.
[/quote]
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

ekim

« Reply #46703 on: June 16, 2023, 11:48:11 AM »

My understanding is that Islam, as with many other religions, concerns itself with the idea of spiritual development - I think that is sort of the raison d'être of many religions including Islam.  Of course there is no evidence of 'spiritual' but that would be the faith part of religion. Adversity and pain or the fear and stress of failing, of not measuring up seems to be  considered part of spiritual development. Maybe there is spiritual development from being happy all the time or free from suffering or pain - I wouldn't know - but for me that just doesn't fit with my interpretation of the religious narrative of enduring through difficulties.

I'm interested in religion because it's a gateway for me to ponder on my flaws and the flaws in the world around me and how flaws impact me and others and to ponder on possible meanings and purpose I can derive from what I observe around me. I can't speak for anyone else.

You are probably right about 'organised' religions as they seem to have the desire to exercise control over the masses involved in the, so called, spiritual development.  The mystics (provided they are not executed for heresy) tend to promote a more personal inner meditative way which transcends the mind's habit of pondering. Possibly, in your religion, they would seek to be Muslim (which I believe contains the word S-L-M meaning to be free, to be whole, to be at peace, well being) rather than 'a' Muslim.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #46704 on: June 16, 2023, 11:57:16 AM »
Hi Gabriella - thanks for your thoughtful response and I am grateful for the chance to explain my views with a bit more clarity.

Hi AB - I am not sure what you mean when you assert that we are consciously aware of prior inputs and manipulate our thoughts - do you mean we are aware of some inputs and not others?
At any one time we are consciously aware of many past memories, but certainly not all.  And we have the freedom to try to recall specific memories.
I also don't really understand why you think the freedom to manipulate some of our thoughts is not a function of the mind produced by the brain, which is why thoughts including morality and religious belief can be affected when the brain is damaged. Of course it is possible that something other than the brain is involved in thoughts and you are of course free to think that manipulating our thoughts is not related to the workings of the brain, but as there is a lack of evidence for your assertion I personally don't see much to be gained by me adopting your view. So I lost interest in your free will theories.
My argument for free will relates to the source of conscious manipulation of our thought processes.  My argument is that it is your conscious self which is the source of manipulation, but the materialist view is that the conscious self and all that it comprises is just a complex set of reactions to past events which are entirely controlled by the laws of physics.
Regarding being aware of prior inputs, I am aware of some inputs but my experience is that there are lots of prior inputs that I am not consciously aware of but that do influence my decisions. I haven't tried but if I ever try therapy or psychoanalysis, I suspect it is possible that some of those unconscious inputs that influence my thoughts, behaviour and decisions may be identified / discovered. So not really sure how you describe my will as free if I act on those unconscious thoughts.
Yes, I believe there are some aspects of our behaviour which are derived from biological instincts and learnt experiences which we are not consciously aware of.
And I think some people will have thoughts and inputs that I will never have or experience because my nature/ nurture is different from theirs, and their thoughts and experiences will be unique to them. So I will never be able to manipulate my thoughts to have the same thoughts they have. I am limited to the thoughts that occur because of my unique past experiences and genetics.
I believe we are all unique and our uniqueness is defined by our conscious self and what we choose to do, think or say.
My experience is that I also have thoughts and reactions I don't want to have and when I consciously become aware of the thoughts, I cannot not think them even though I want to. Based on my past experiences I can envisage why thinking about them and acting on them might not be in the best interests of me/ others but as I have not devoted the time to learning meditation techniques to control my thoughts better, I may still act on those thoughts. Again this does not seem like the idea of free will that you assert.
The fact is that it is you that is in control - you are aware of the past but not entirely driven by it.  There are many things which can influence what you do, think or say - but we have the conscious freedom to choose how, when and where to act upon these influences - this is the God given gift of free will which emanates from the power of our human soul - not from the unavoidable chains of physically driven cause and effect within a material brain.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 11:59:55 AM by Alan Burns »
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

ekim

« Reply #46705 on: June 16, 2023, 12:13:23 PM »
There are many things which can influence what you do, think or say - but we have the conscious freedom to choose how, when and where to act upon these influences - this is the God given gift of free will which emanates from the power of our human soul - not from the unavoidable chains of physically driven cause and effect within a material brain.
You may have the freedom to choose but you need to demonstrate how your choice is not determined by the desire for a specific outcome and is therefore free from desire to act of not act. 

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46706 on: June 16, 2023, 12:14:17 PM »
Vlad,

And there was me thinking that your turning up on an mb routinely to misrepresent the arguments that falsify you was the "crowning dishonesty"....
Again; more projection than a chain of IMAX cinemas.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #46707 on: June 16, 2023, 12:15:18 PM »
AB,

At any one time we are consciously aware of many past memories, but certainly not all.  And we have the freedom to try to recall specific memories.

Okaaaay…

My argument for free will relates to the source of conscious manipulation of our thought processes.

Except of course any such “conscious manipulation of our thought processes” would itself be a thought process, so (by your “reasoning”) we’d need something else to “consciously manipulate” that and so on forever.

My argument is that it is your conscious self which is the source of manipulation, but the materialist view is that the conscious self and all that it comprises is just a complex set of reactions to past events which are entirely controlled by the laws of physics.

Kind of – though it’s more that the phenomenon of consciousness is in all likelihood an emergent property of the material “us”. 

Yes, I believe there are aspects of our behaviour which are derived from biological instincts and learnt experiences which we are not consciously aware of.

More than that though: a huge amount of regulatory activity – breathing, heart rate etc – happens under the bonnet with no conscious awareness of it happening.

I believe we are all unique and our uniqueness is defined by our conscious self and what we choose to do, think or say.

Arguable, but ok…

The fact is that it is you that is in control - you are aware of the past but not entirely driven by it.  There are many things which can influence what you do, think or say - but we have the conscious freedom to choose how, when and where to act upon these influences - this is the God given gift of free will which emanates from the power of our human soul - not from the unavoidable chains of physically driven cause and effect within a material brain.

Ah, but now you’ve collapsed again into the many times rebutted illogicalities and blind faith claims you peddle here over and over again. There’s neither a need for nor any evidence of a separate “you” to control an automaton you, and in any case any such claim is so detonated by its internal contradictions as to be little more than epistemological white noise. And no, an "it's magic innit" supposed "soul" claim doesn't get you off that hook at all.     

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #46708 on: June 16, 2023, 12:17:37 PM »
Vlad,

Again; more projection than a chain of IMAX cinemas.

There are literally thousands of examples on this mb of you straw manning me (and others) – you're notorious for it. There are none of me doing it to you.

QED

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46709 on: June 16, 2023, 12:31:44 PM »
Vlad,

There are literally thousands of examples on this mb of you straw manning me (and others) – you're notorious for it. There are none of me doing it to you.

QED
Reference one.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46710 on: June 16, 2023, 12:51:07 PM »
As I learnt about Christianity in my early twenties, a different experience to 'learning' it in RE or sunday school, I became very excited and energised by it and becoming a basic theist was a joyous moment.
Fair enough - my experience wasn't joyous - I think I experienced curiosity and a feeling that I wasn't going give a damn what other people thought about switching from atheism and calling myself a Muslim (most of my family and friends were atheist or culturally Hindu).
I liked it but as God became someone encountered I experienced what some Christians have described Christianity as ''having to be the Bad news before it becomes the good news. The existence of God and the encounter was a challenge to my morality and ego and I could not call the encounter 'preferred'. John Bunyan describes the same thing. Not committing to Christ at that point would for me have been the crowning dishonesty...and loss.
Yes I think I understand what you describe. Though it didn't take becoming a Muslim to challenge my morality and ego - I was always aware of other moralities and the problem of ego when I was an atheist.

Becoming a Muslim did give me a different direction of travel and therefore a different perspective - I stopped drinking alcohol for a start, which had a knock-on effect in other areas of my life e.g. my way of dealing with feeling like I need to unwind or de-stress or get happy. I became more disciplined about taking regular breaks from what I was doing to feel gratitude and put things in perspective - because I was praying multiple times a day. Fasting made me realise how little food my body actually required to function, but also made me appreciate and be grateful for how easy I had life compared to others who had nothing to eat or drink all the time. So I would credit becoming a Muslim with giving me experiences I wouldn't have otherwise had, and influencing my outlook / perspective.

The God and man concept? There are elements of this I think even in Islam. To enter into Islam, a man's name and his position before God is an integral part of becoming acceptable to God and avoid his rejection as far as I understand. I of course welcome your view on this.
I am not familiar with what you wrote and not sure I understand the meaning of it. Do you have a link for me to read?
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46711 on: June 16, 2023, 01:08:59 PM »

I am not familiar with what you wrote and not sure I understand the meaning of it. Do you have a link for me to read?
I was referring to the Shahada where you have to mention the name of Muhammed and his particular office

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46712 on: June 16, 2023, 02:15:58 PM »
I get the idea of a hierarchy, I could understand a decrease in 'flaws' towards the top if it was being built from the bottom up - each layer is an improvement on the one below. If you start from the perfection at the top, though, why is a perfect being restricted to creating the next tier down with 'flaws/drawbacks/limitations'?
I don't know if it is a restriction so much as a choice. I suppose flaws/ drawbacks/ limitations go with the territory of spirituality - how would you differentiate between people in their faith if they are not tested? So if you're an atheists you don't buy into the notion of spirituality and faith and therefore you definitely wouldn't buy into the idea of these things being tested. But if you're a theist then you would buy into the notion of spirituality and faith being tested. 

That presumes that humanity has the freedom to change events, which as I've said elsewhere I'm not sure that I can countenance, but let's presume that is the case.
Not so much change events as change our reaction to events - an event happens and we have no choice but to go through it but we can choose how we deal with it. CBT for example is about changing your reaction to events. And if you change your reaction it has a knock-on effect and could change some future outcomes.
It still doesn't explain WHY that stage is even necessary? What's the moral justification for putting human beings through a life that is, for at least a reasonable portion of them, painful and oppressive. Even if from this imperfections argument the proximate cause is humanity mismanaging a system which could be better, it's still foreseeable and the perfect god is still putting new souls into this meat grinder to suffer.
Yeah - that's a fair question. And as I said above, as an atheist I wouldn't buy into any of it and I felt the same way you do on that point. As a theist you accept that faith and spirituality need to be tested. Tests may make your faith stronger or weaker. In Islam there is the idea that you can be tested by being given good fortune/ wealth/ health/ success etc because they can distract you and take you away from practising your faith and remembering Allah - you might start thinking that it was your own abilities that caused your success.

I'm more familiar with books 1 and 2, but the vast, vast difference in the tone and specifics of the Old Testament, New Testament and the Qu'ran doesn't really support that.
Maybe because the messages reflect the time and context and audience they were delivered to, plus it's not possible to know what has been altered by people so a theist would have to take it as a matter of faith if they believe the text has not been altered. Even if it has been altered there is still a lot of interesting stuff there.

I did English A'Level. My younger daughter is doing Latin A'Level. Studying English or Latin literature involves delving into the ideas behind the words of texts that may have been written a long time ago and I am often amazed by how much wisdom there is in the words of ancient Greek and Roman writers that could be applied to issues today. For example in Hamlet, Shakespeare wrote “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so” which sounds a lot like CBT to me.

OK, but you have those three distinctly different versions of what's supposed to be the same message, all of which claim that they and they alone are the true way of achieving the next life, and then there are other systems outside of those. Even within the New Testament you have the supposed words of Jesus giving one way to achieve eternal life ('Follow the commandments') and Paul's teachings giving another ('The way is through the life and death of Jesus'). What people do with the information is perhaps up to individual people, but why has god allowed so many competing messages?
Our brains interpret what we hear or read and then we convey our understanding to others, which may be completely different from the intended meaning of the person who spoke or wrote the words. I think the competing messages is inevitable because of the way our brains, language and communication works. As I mentioned previously, in the Islamic stories we have the characters who don't have the freedom to think or ponder - angels. Humans are differentiated from angels in that respect.

Some ethical precepts though are, presumably, timeless? If you're creating a work to guide people why would you tacitly condone slavery and actively encourage forced marriage and rape (under certain circumstances) but be proscriptive about haircuts and foreskins (sometimes)? What's the ethical argument in favour of forcing the marriage of virgins 'captured' in battle? What's the ethical problem with penis-tips and round beards? And if these aren't ethical but arbitrary rules, what's their purpose?
As a Muslim I can only comment on the Quran as my faith would say the Old and New Testament has been changed by people. I am not sure there is an ethical problem with penis tips - it seems to be an badge of identity but I could be wrong.

Enslaving people is something some humans do - because they can and because in wars there would have to be some kind of state funded welfare system to look after prisoners of war if there wasn't slavery. So  slavery will always exist, where the mechanisms and resources humans have to eradicate slavery are not sufficient to prevent it. It's up to societies as to how they manage their resources and collect funds for a state to maintain mechanisms to look after people. For example, with migrants or asylum seekers we can see the system the UK has is not able to process applications quickly due to lack of resources, and people are prevented from legally working while their application is being processed and there are plans to house them on barges or in army barracks for however long it takes or to send them to Rwanda. Those who work illegally in the black market are open to exploitation and some possibly become victims of human trafficking and slavery. Different groups have different views on the priority of competing claims for funding and the morality of how to deal with the migrants or asylum seekers. It's an issue for societies i.e. us to figure out.

I've heard the argument that the prophets were human, and whilst the inspiration might have been divine the words were human, and the message has inevitably been filtered through the cultural lens of those prophets, but again that's presumably foreseeable to the perfect god who must have known that would make the messages not just functionally useless but actively dangerous in the wrong hands that were demonstrably scrabbling for anything to justify their views.
Yes agree it is foreseeable. I am not seeing the special problem with religion though. To me all ideas, words and human communication can be actively dangerous in the wrong hands - that just seems to go with the territory of being human.

From outside the faith, that smacks of victim-blaming: the idea that, say, a disabled person has the disability they do because they somehow needed it to spiritually develop in a particular way. It doesn't change the fact that the raw material of that spiritual person is being produced by the deity, so it's still their choice to make a soul that way to require that life.
I don't think it's supposed to be an indication that the disabled person specifically needs to spiritually develop. From my understanding of how it works from the perspective of Islam, it may be the people who get closer in faith to Allah who may have harder tests to bear because of their stronger faith, and the disabled person's disability will be taken into account in any judgement to award them more good deeds to counteract any wrong they might have done than an able person would receive who had lived a similar life in all other aspects. I think the idea is that the people around a disabled person and wider society are tested in their faith and spirituality in how they deal with and look after the disabled person.

So Islam - and please don't read TOO much into this analogy - is more akin to the Norse religion where you have different 'destinations' in the afterlife, rather than the Christian depiction of heaven with which I'm more familiar which is a more uniform perfection for those that make it and damnation for those that don't binary (notwithstanding Catholocism's wierd 'Limbo' notion which I don't pretend to understand well enough to get into here)?
Yes I would say it was more like Norse religion in that respect. The belief is in different grades represented by different levels of heaven and hell depending on how well you did in the test.

As an end-point that sounds fair enough, it's just the process to get there that seems unfair - certainly the idea of a variegated afterlife to suit the individual sounds better than the blandless of Christianity's sit and bask in God's glory notion.

I have no idea, spirituality is a concept so divorced from anything demonstrable that I struggle to apply any meaning to it. Doing the right thing is ethics and morality, and my Christian-dominated culture has spent centuries very deliberately separating those two. Whether there is inner struggle or outer struggle, whether there is pain - perhaps they are needed, somehow, but I haven't seen anyone explain a conceivable reason why they might be that fits into the framework, it all seems so arbitrary.
Yes I would say it seems arbitrary from my perspective. Maybe there is no other perspective because there is no god. Or maybe there is another perspective, apart from mine.

Islam follows from Judaism, and accepts the Old Testament as part of its premises, so presumably the concept of Lucifer as the fallen angel is part of the background? How can Lucifer fall, how can Lucifer rebel, if angels have no free will? Or is Lucifer not considered to be a part of Islamic thought for some reason?
The Islamic story is that Iblis (equivalent to Lucifer) is a jinn not an angel. 

And I can see that process making sense, but it doesn't explain why some need to struggle more than others.

And that's where I struggle with the idea of faith. I can see accepting ideas without rigorous evidence - there are various fringe scientific ideas that I think more or less likely based on nothing demonstrable but rather whether they appeal to something inside - but I can't understand accepting an idea that doesn't make sense. Not being able to prove it is one thing, but not being able to explain how it could operate is just a step too far.
I feel the impact of seeing someone's else's life compared to my own - whether it generates compassion and empathy and what I do about it, so for me that is the rationale for differences in our individual struggles.

See, without the prospect of something 'else', faith and religion have even less point. If we have only this life, why restrict according to arbitrary rules if there is no 'reward' or consequence?
True - probably why I prefer the reward and consequence stories.
I don't tend to get too sentimental, but watching the various 'levels' of response from animals to the loss of humans and other animals does more to convince me that consciousness spreads beyond humanity than any amount of neurological or psychological claims I've read. Death does seem to bring life home, and grief is an intrinsic part of most of our lives.
Agreed - animals do seem to have some level of consciousness.

If only all the religious were so humble about the extent of what they do or don't know :)

Can I just say, before I forget, a thank you to you (and Vlad) - for whatever reason, this has been one of the more insightful and civilised back and forths I've had on these boards for quite some time.

O.
Thanks and agreed - I have enjoyed this too and your questions make me think. I don't claim to have all the answers though.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #46713 on: June 16, 2023, 02:34:28 PM »
My argument for free will relates to the source of conscious manipulation of our thought processes.

Again, this idea of "conscious manipulation of our thought processes" is an entirely incoherent notion in itself. How can we consciously manipulate our thought processes? Manipulation requires a thought process in itself, you need to think about how you want to manipulate anything, so if you're trying to manipulate your own thought processes, you've instantly got an infinite regress. You have to think about how to manipulate your thought process, but then you've got to think about how you want to think about manipulating your thoughts, but then you've got to think about how you want to think about how you want to think about manipulating your thoughts, and so on, ad infinitum.

At the end, it has to bottom out at thoughts that you haven't manipulated, so the whole of the rest of the chain might as well not exist at all because it's all based on these unmanipulated thoughts.

...but the materialist view is that the conscious self and all that it comprises is just a complex set of reactions to past events which are entirely controlled by the laws of physics.

Yet again, you don't need to have a materialist view of the mind in order to show that your idea of 'free will' is nonsense, it just requires basic logic.

Still waiting for any hint of the 'sound logic' you claimed to have to support your utterly incoherent nonsense about 'free will'. Are we ever going to get it, or have you just given up and decided to go on with the baseless, self-contradictory assertions?
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #46714 on: June 16, 2023, 02:56:31 PM »
I was referring to the Shahada where you have to mention the name of Muhammed and his particular office
Could you please explain how that has any similarity to the Second Person of the Trinity, God the Son, becoming incarnate in the man Jesus?
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Outrider

« Reply #46715 on: June 16, 2023, 03:08:43 PM »
I don't know if it is a restriction so much as a choice. I suppose flaws/ drawbacks/ limitations go with the territory of spirituality - how would you differentiate between people in their faith if they are not tested?

Why does a god need to? If spirituality is not something that originates in the material world, and doesn't interact with the material world, how is our material life relevant? If our material lives do affect it, how?

So if you're an atheists you don't buy into the notion of spirituality and faith and therefore you definitely wouldn't buy into the idea of these things being tested. But if you're a theist then you would buy into the notion of spirituality and faith being tested.

Well, yes, as an atheist I don't buy into any of those, although I suppose there could be atheists who still accept some sort of spirituality - regardless, it's not so much about whether I accept it as much as just trying to understand what the purported system is supposed to be, or at least could be. It's not just that I don't believe it, it's that I can't see a way in which any of it makes sense.

Not so much change events as change our reaction to events - an event happens and we have no choice but to go through it but we can choose how we deal with it.

See, for me, our reaction is as much an event as the stimulus to which we're reacting - if nothing else, it affects our behaviour which is an event for others to react to.

CBT for example is about changing your reaction to events. And if you change your reaction it has a knock-on effect and could change some future outcomes.

With autistic children I have a love/hate relationship with CBT and its applications, but I do take your point.

Yeah - that's a fair question. And as I said above, as an atheist I wouldn't buy into any of it and I felt the same way you do on that point. As a theist you accept that faith and spirituality need to be tested. Tests may make your faith stronger or weaker. In Islam there is the idea that you can be tested by being given good fortune/ wealth/ health/ success etc because they can distract you and take you away from practising your faith and remembering Allah -

Which seems reasonable as an account of what's happening, but it doesn't explain why faith is important, or why it needs to be tested. Is there some sort of virtue to accepting claims without evidence? How is it somehow 'better' (is it better?) to continue to accept those claims, or to act as though you do, in the face of contradictory evidence? Because that's what things that 'test' your faith are, presumably - examples of things that seem to contradict the claims of a loving god?

You might start thinking that it was your own abilities that caused your success.

Surely it's implicit in the idea that, if my actions can be spiritually deleterious then it's equally my actions that are materially beneficial? Why does Allah get the credit if I do well in life, but it's my fault if I'm spiritually (or materially?) deficient?

Maybe because the messages reflect the time and context and audience they were delivered to, plus it's not possible to know what has been altered by people so a theist would have to take it as a matter of faith if they believe the text has not been altered. Even if it has been altered there is still a lot of interesting stuff there.

Oh, it's interesting  ;D Some of the interpretations of it even more so! I can't see any other way you can accept it than to presume that, at best, it's been interpreted by the authors through the lens of their time and culture - my sense it that Islam holds to the textual detail more consistently than Christianity broadly, but I don't know if it has an equivalent of the sort of Biblical Inerrantists/Biblical Literalists that hover around the extreme fringes of Christianity and make a lot of noise.

I did English A'Level. My younger daughter is doing Latin A'Level. Studying English or Latin literature involves delving into the ideas behind the words of texts that may have been written a long time ago and I am often amazed by how much wisdom there is in the words of ancient Greek and Roman writers that could be applied to issues today. For example in Hamlet, Shakespeare wrote “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so” which sounds a lot like CBT to me.

I did English A-level. Shakespeare struck me as being a lot like the Old and New Testaments - they were so poetically constrained and twisted from clarity that you could interpret them to mean whatever you wanted. People raved about Shakespeare's insight, but he just seems to me to create a spectacularly busy blank canvas to paint their own picture on. I submitted a well-justified piece suggesting that Iago prompts everything because of his unrequited love for Othello, and his jealousy of Cassius' presumed place ahead of him in Othello's affections, which absolute nonsense but I got an A for it all the same. I am not familiar with Qu'ran to know if it's a similar situation, but there are enough drastically different interpretations of its expectations out in the public domain that it seems plausible that's the case.

Our brains interpret what we hear or read and then we convey our understanding to others, which may be completely different from the intended meaning of the person who spoke or wrote the words. I think the competing messages is inevitable because of the way our brains, language and communication works. As I mentioned previously, in the Islamic stories we have the characters who don't have the freedom to think or ponder - angels. Humans are differentiated from angels in that respect.

You'll have some on here saying that angels are just fancy computers if you keep that up  ::)

As a Muslim I can only comment on the Quran as my faith would say the Old and New Testament has been changed by people.

I appreciate that the Qu'ran is (often?) seen as an embodiment of ideas and 'worth' within Islam in a way that the New Testament isn't within Christianity, but do you feel that the Qu'ran is somehow a less interpreted work than its predecessor, that's in a 'cleaner' representation of the divine inspiration? Or is it that you think it's culturally closer to us in terms of time and influence, and therefore we've (or the Islamic world?) haven't drifted as far from that cultural setting to have lost the sense of it?

I am not sure there is an ethical problem with penis tips - it seems to be an badge of identity but I could be wrong.

And that tribalism is important why? And as a badge of that tribalism, that's a strange choice, too.

Enslaving people is something some humans do - because they can and because in wars there would have to be some kind of state funded welfare system to look after prisoners of war if there wasn't slavery. So  slavery will always exist, where the mechanisms and resources humans have to eradicate slavery are not sufficient to prevent it.

I'm not sure I agree, there is a difference between putting restrictions or controls on people because of things they've done (punishment, imprisonment) and the ownership of people. You can be a relatively benign owner of slaves and the practice is still wrong.

It's up to societies as to how they manage their resources and collect funds for a state to maintain mechanisms to look after people. For example, with migrants or asylum seekers we can see the system the UK has is not able to process applications quickly due to lack of resources, and people are prevented from legally working while their application is being processed and there are plans to house them on barges or in army barracks for however long it takes or to send them to Rwanda. Those who work illegally in the black market are open to exploitation and some possibly become victims of human trafficking and slavery. Different groups have different views on the priority of competing claims for funding and the morality of how to deal with the migrants or asylum seekers. It's an issue for societies i.e. us to figure out.

But some of those systems and methods are objectively morally better than others, don't you think, and yet the Old Testament explicitly recommends one of the worst, and implicitly condones one of the others. All whilst making dietary choices an 'abomination'. I get that there are cultural effects at work there, but this is the word of God, surely you can manage to explicitly prohibit slavery, or forced marriage? Even if you leave the unconscionable prohibition against bacon!

If the word is intended for that particular cultural milieu, and is to be updated when the culture has changed sufficiently, how can Islam be so confident that Mohammed was the last prophet, that the message won't need updating again for the digital age, or if/when we venture out into the stars?

Yes agree it is foreseeable. I am not seeing the special problem with religion though. To me all ideas, words and human communication can be actively dangerous in the wrong hands - that just seems to go with the territory of being human.

It's not that I'm suggesting religious people are, in general, any better or worse for that than anyone else (although perhaps there are facets of religion that make it easier or worse when they do) but rather that if this is the inspiration of a divine, perfect being, why is that message not somehow clearer or less prone to misinterpretation. How can it be so clear and so absolute on some things - Thou shalt not steal - but completely fail to address so many other horrors that have been consistently perpetrated through history, how can it be such that a divine being could pass along a message that is not even interpreted as 'this is the circumstances in which slavery is acceptable' but 'this is one particular way in which you must not mistreat slaves'.

I don't think it's supposed to be an indication that the disabled person specifically needs to spiritually develop. From my understanding of how it works from the perspective of Islam, it may be the people who get closer in faith to Allah who may have harder tests to bear because of their stronger faith, and the disabled person's disability will be taken into account in any judgement to award them more good deeds to counteract any wrong they might have done than an able person would receive who had lived a similar life in all other aspects. I think the idea is that the people around a disabled person and wider society are tested in their faith and spirituality in how they deal with and look after the disabled person.

See, I just can't see how that works. There are disabilities that make life harder, but they don't directly affect how you think - is that harder life because you're starting of more spiritually developed so you need to be tested harder? Why, why do you need to be tested at all, why are some people inherently more spiritually aware? Or is that harder life not 'for' anything, and you'll have a lower bar when you're judged, in which case it's the subtle discrimination of low expectations all over again. Or if, because it's not a direct influence on spirituality, it's spiritually neutral then we just come back to why is it a thing at all?

And on the disabilities which are cognitive, the learning difficulties and the like - how are they dealt with? Do you get a free pass if you're born without the capacity to understand any of the spiritual instructions?

The Islamic story is that Iblis (equivalent to Lucifer) is a jinn not an angel.

My ignorance, there, I'd apparently misunderstood, I though that the jinn were the fallen angels. So they're a different 'supernatural' group - do you know if they have a Jewish equivalent?

I feel the impact of seeing someone's else's life compared to my own - whether it generates compassion and empathy and what I do about it, so for me that is the rationale for differences in our individual struggles.

Empathy and compassion are good, let's assume that they are something that's spiritually beneficial - it's going to be easier to be empathic if you've been through things than if you've had an easy life so it's just a different version of why are there different starting points?

Thanks and agreed - I have enjoyed this too and your questions make me think. I don't claim to have all the answers though.

English A level again, and I remember a quotation from somewhere about being wary of anyone who thinks they have all the answers, but I progressed from there to Engineering and left that cultural nourishment behind!

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #46716 on: June 16, 2023, 05:16:11 PM »
Vlad,

Reference one.

Me (Reply #46604):

It's worse than that - worshipped (or so we're told).

You (Reply #46607):

You seem to be caricaturing what religious people would understand by the word worship.

You’ll notice here that I merely referenced “worshipped” with no attendant comment on what that term might imply, and that you immediately straw manned that into a false accusation of caricaturing. Of the often bewildering plethora of fallacious arguments you essay here straw manning is by far the most common – you’ve done it thousands of times, and yet each time it’s explained to you you to just disappear for a bit and then return to do more of it.

We’ve had entire exchanges here sometimes when every reply you’ve attempted has been a straw man – it’s your favourite, go to fallacy. Your relentless lying about me being an advocate for scientism (when I've aways argued for pretty much the opposite of that) is a particularly egregious example.       
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 05:20:29 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46717 on: June 16, 2023, 06:39:36 PM »
Vlad,

Me (Reply #46604):

You (Reply #46607):

You’ll notice here that I merely referenced “worshipped” with no attendant comment on what that term might imply, and that you immediately straw manned that into a false accusation of caricaturing. Of the often bewildering plethora of fallacious arguments you essay here straw manning is by far the most common – you’ve done it thousands of times, and yet each time it’s explained to you you to just disappear for a bit and then return to do more of it.

We’ve had entire exchanges here sometimes when every reply you’ve attempted has been a straw man – it’s your favourite, go to fallacy. Your relentless lying about me being an advocate for scientism (when I've aways argued for pretty much the opposite of that) is a particularly egregious example.     
Hillside, When YOU suggested there was NO ONE who was arguing from scientism on THIS forum, 
I almost pissed myself.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #46718 on: June 16, 2023, 06:43:37 PM »
Vlad,

Hillside, When YOU suggested there was NO ONE who was arguing from scientism on THIS forum,
I almost pissed myself.

So your response to the accusation of straw manning and the evidence that validates it is...

... just another straw man?

Why do you even bother with it?

God

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46719 on: June 16, 2023, 06:52:46 PM »
Oh right - yes the Shahada is what you need to believe to call yourself a Muslim but I wouldn't know if it is an integral part of not being rejected by Allah - some Muslims believe that it is. I don't see how they claim to know what would get a person rejected - that might be their interpretation and opinion.

But stating Prophet Muhammed is the messenger of Allah is in the context of him still only being a man who died. According to the stories, immediately after he died some of his closest companions were in denial about his death but his father-in-law and closest companion, Abu Bakr, made sure to emphasise the mortal and dead part.

Abu Bakr praised and glorified Allah and said, No doubt! Whoever worshipped Muhammad, then Muhammad is dead, but whoever worshipped Allah, then Allah is Alive and shall never die." Then he recited Allah's Statement.:-- "(O Muhammad) Verily you will die, and they also will die." (39.30) He also recited:--

"Muhammad is no more than an Apostle; and indeed many Apostles have passed away, before him, If he dies Or is killed, will you then Turn back on your heels? And he who turns back On his heels, not the least Harm will he do to Allah And Allah will give reward to those Who are grateful." (3.144)

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #46720 on: June 16, 2023, 08:55:55 PM »
Why does a god need to? If spirituality is not something that originates in the material world, and doesn't interact with the material world, how is our material life relevant? If our material lives do affect it, how?
Not sure what you mean by interact with the material world. The belief is that spirituality is inside us but not as some material substance that can be measured. Presumably the idea is that spirituality generates faith.

Why does a god need to differentiate between people? From reading the Quran, the faith belief seems to be that our purpose is to worship god, so the tests are to differentiate people in their sincerity of worship. Why does a god create something at all instead of there being nothing? No idea. Why does a god create something that comes up with these abstract ideas about worship and has the capacity to choose whether or not to worship? No idea - maybe it's more meaningful when people have a choice.

Well, yes, as an atheist I don't buy into any of those, although I suppose there could be atheists who still accept some sort of spirituality - regardless, it's not so much about whether I accept it as much as just trying to understand what the purported system is supposed to be, or at least could be. It's not just that I don't believe it, it's that I can't see a way in which any of it makes sense.
I don't see how it would make sense without faith either. It certainly seemed complete nonsense to me when I was an atheist. And having been an atheist I am still capable of remembering how nonsensical it would still seem if I had no faith/ belief.

See, for me, our reaction is as much an event as the stimulus to which we're reacting - if nothing else, it affects our behaviour which is an event for others to react to.
Yes I would agree with that. It's kind of a chain reaction - event, reaction, reaction to the reaction and so on, whereby it would be hard to isolate or pinpoint any single cause for any thought or behaviour. Hence I don't buy into AB's idea of free will. I think we can't escape the past and how we are influenced by it, even if it is the immediate past of something that happens 1 second ago.

Which seems reasonable as an account of what's happening, but it doesn't explain why faith is important, or why it needs to be tested. Is there some sort of virtue to accepting claims without evidence? How is it somehow 'better' (is it better?) to continue to accept those claims, or to act as though you do, in the face of contradictory evidence? Because that's what things that 'test' your faith are, presumably - examples of things that seem to contradict the claims of a loving god?
I'm not sure what love is or what it is supposed to represent so I might be the wrong person to discuss a loving god. Love just seems like a word people use to represent some feelings they have but the feelings and actions are very individual to them and it seems to sometimes involve some kind of gateway to emotional manipulation. When people (including my kids) have said I ought to do XYZ if I love them, it kind of leaves me pondering whether the word "love" is meaningless because I still have no intention of doing whatever they want me to do for them. I have zero interest in being loved unconditionally or loving unconditionally back. I wouldn't know what to do with unconditional love if someone tried to offer it to me and I would think they were kind of weird to feel that way about me. I think I would appreciate love I had to earn rather than the unconditional kind.

So for me a loving god seems just empty words - I don't seem to be particularly preoccupied with whether god loves me.   In Islam Allah is described as merciful and beneficent - though the Arabic terms might not translate directly to English. Those words make more sense to me than "love".

Surely it's implicit in the idea that, if my actions can be spiritually deleterious then it's equally my actions that are materially beneficial? Why does Allah get the credit if I do well in life, but it's my fault if I'm spiritually (or materially?) deficient?
In Islam the belief is that your level of material status (high or low) is all Allah or mostly Allah - the Arabic term is  rizq. It's also hard to determine fault for spiritual matters - as I said it's not an exact science like Maths. You are in your own unique set of circumstances and challenges and what you do with it and how you perceive things and how you react and what you feel are between you and Allah and for Allah to judge on where there is fault and the degree of fault. We may be influenced by circumstance and past events but we also have some ability to view our behaviour and our choices and to consider changing our perspective or trying something new that we come across. I think that is the basis of CBT - to behave differently in order to change the way you feel. 

Oh, it's interesting  ;D Some of the interpretations of it even more so! I can't see any other way you can accept it than to presume that, at best, it's been interpreted by the authors through the lens of their time and culture - my sense it that Islam holds to the textual detail more consistently than Christianity broadly, but I don't know if it has an equivalent of the sort of Biblical Inerrantists/Biblical Literalists that hover around the extreme fringes of Christianity and make a lot of noise.
Yes lots of similar people hovering around Islam - the media make sure to focus a lot of attention on them as it helps generate clicks to get people outraged and have them feel under siege.

I did English A-level. Shakespeare struck me as being a lot like the Old and New Testaments - they were so poetically constrained and twisted from clarity that you could interpret them to mean whatever you wanted. People raved about Shakespeare's insight, but he just seems to me to create a spectacularly busy blank canvas to paint their own picture on. I submitted a well-justified piece suggesting that Iago prompts everything because of his unrequited love for Othello, and his jealousy of Cassius' presumed place ahead of him in Othello's affections, which absolute nonsense but I got an A for it all the same. I am not familiar with Qu'ran to know if it's a similar situation, but there are enough drastically different interpretations of its expectations out in the public domain that it seems plausible that's the case.
I got an A for English A'Level as well  ;D. Yes a lot of Shakespeare texts, and also poetic texts like the Quran, can be seen as a blank canvas I suppose but it's also because in my experience people have a tendency to see what they want to see and believe what they want to believe regardless of what the author of any information intended to convey.

You'll have some on here saying that angels are just fancy computers if you keep that up  ::)

I appreciate that the Qu'ran is (often?) seen as an embodiment of ideas and 'worth' within Islam in a way that the New Testament isn't within Christianity, but do you feel that the Qu'ran is somehow a less interpreted work than its predecessor, that's in a 'cleaner' representation of the divine inspiration? Or is it that you think it's culturally closer to us in terms of time and influence, and therefore we've (or the Islamic world?) haven't drifted as far from that cultural setting to have lost the sense of it?
My view is that having one god and not a trinity for example is closer to the idea of monotheism, and that is the cleaner representation that the Quran seems to claim by its message to worship one god, which is why it appeals to me. Everything else about it being the unaltered word of Allah is a faith claim - I can never know if that is true or not.

And Muslims have been interpreting it through their own cultural lenses for their own purposes for centuries so I wouldn't feel justified in claiming anything else about the Quran.

And that tribalism is important why? And as a badge of that tribalism, that's a strange choice, too.
I don't know how important it is - circumcision is not mentioned in the Quran. But there are stories in Islam that Prophet Abraham was circumcised as was stated by Prophet Muhammed. People who are considered scholars of Islam have therefore given their opinion that it is obligatory for men to be circumcised -  so I guess people have latched onto it as some form of identity.

I'm not sure I agree, there is a difference between putting restrictions or controls on people because of things they've done (punishment, imprisonment) and the ownership of people. You can be a relatively benign owner of slaves and the practice is still wrong.

But some of those systems and methods are objectively morally better than others, don't you think, and yet the Old Testament explicitly recommends one of the worst, and implicitly condones one of the others. All whilst making dietary choices an 'abomination'. I get that there are cultural effects at work there, but this is the word of God, surely you can manage to explicitly prohibit slavery, or forced marriage? Even if you leave the unconscionable prohibition against bacon!
Well I can't really comment on the Old Testament as from an Islamic perspective the belief is that at least some of what is written there is altered from the divine intention.

But I would make the general point about morality - I think it changes over time. Sure from my perspective today slavery is wrong but would I have felt the same way thousands of years ago if I had some prisoners of war or people from another tribe who are dependent on me for their survival and there was no state mechanism or input on where the resources were going to come from to keep those prisoners fed, watered and housed (your enemies who a little while ago were prepared to use their resources to kill or defeat or enslave you)? I probably would be more ok with that form of slavery in that time under those circumstances than I would be with slaughtering everyone I defeat.

The provisions of welfare states change over time as resources and morality changes- the NHS was set up for a limited purpose to provide a limited amount of care but now it would be considered immoral to not provide many of the services currently provided by the NHS, all of which requires more and more resources.

If the word is intended for that particular cultural milieu, and is to be updated when the culture has changed sufficiently, how can Islam be so confident that Mohammed was the last prophet, that the message won't need updating again for the digital age, or if/when we venture out into the stars?
That again is a faith claim. The message or the traditions are constantly being interpreted or revised to take into account context and changes in geography and technology - examples of this is all over the internet and in thousands of books. For example, we download the Quran onto our smart phones instead of reading it from a book and leave our phones lying around on the floor or accidentally step on them or we throw our phones away or break them without thinking we are disrespecting the Quran.

It's not that I'm suggesting religious people are, in general, any better or worse for that than anyone else (although perhaps there are facets of religion that make it easier or worse when they do) but rather that if this is the inspiration of a divine, perfect being, why is that message not somehow clearer or less prone to misinterpretation. How can it be so clear and so absolute on some things - Thou shalt not steal - but completely fail to address so many other horrors that have been consistently perpetrated through history, how can it be such that a divine being could pass along a message that is not even interpreted as 'this is the circumstances in which slavery is acceptable' but 'this is one particular way in which you must not mistreat slaves'.
I'm not sure how clear it is about anything other than worship one god. Yes it says you shouldn't steal - but then the way this was interpreted and practised in Islamic states within a few decades of Prophet Muhammed's death was that this rule was overlooked in times of famine. And my take is that any words about morals and ethics are prone to misinterpretation - morals are not an exact science. E.g. Don't kill...except when in a war or in self-defence or through due process of the legal system or when killing a baby to save the life of the mother etc etc

See, I just can't see how that works. There are disabilities that make life harder, but they don't directly affect how you think - is that harder life because you're starting of more spiritually developed so you need to be tested harder? Why, why do you need to be tested at all, why are some people inherently more spiritually aware? Or is that harder life not 'for' anything, and you'll have a lower bar when you're judged, in which case it's the subtle discrimination of low expectations all over again. Or if, because it's not a direct influence on spirituality, it's spiritually neutral then we just come back to why is it a thing at all?
I wouldn't know why - it goes back to the response I gave previously - we exist and some of us have a concept of something we call spirituality and that seems tied in with faith and belief in a higher power and therefore faith being tested makes sense if you have that faith but makes no sense if you don't have that faith. My experience is that faith isn't something you can argue yourself into through logic.   

And on the disabilities which are cognitive, the learning difficulties and the like - how are they dealt with? Do you get a free pass if you're born without the capacity to understand any of the spiritual instructions?
That would seem fair.

My ignorance, there, I'd apparently misunderstood, I though that the jinn were the fallen angels. So they're a different 'supernatural' group - do you know if they have a Jewish equivalent?
Sorry not sure - whether real or metaphorical Iblis / al-Shaytan/ Satan seems to represent the bad consequences of arrogance and pride.

Empathy and compassion are good, let's assume that they are something that's spiritually beneficial - it's going to be easier to be empathic if you've been through things than if you've had an easy life so it's just a different version of why are there different starting points?
I don't see it as being mapped that easily in terms of who has it easier and who has the capacity to cope with what. I have no idea why people are crippled by anxiety about something that seems easy and straightforward and equally I have no idea why some physically disabled or ill people have the capacity to achieve far more than I could ever achieve. Where their strength and discipline and outlook comes from I have no idea and I admire them and consider myself disabled in character by my lack of some of what they have.

English A level again, and I remember a quotation from somewhere about being wary of anyone who thinks they have all the answers, but I progressed from there to Engineering and left that cultural nourishment behind!

O.
:) Yes agree. Engineering seems much more useful.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #46721 on: June 17, 2023, 10:37:49 AM »
Oh right - yes the Shahada is what you need to believe to call yourself a Muslim but I wouldn't know if it is an integral part of not being rejected by Allah - some Muslims believe that it is. I don't see how they claim to know what would get a person rejected - that might be their interpretation and opinion.

But stating Prophet Muhammed is the messenger of Allah is in the context of him still only being a man who died. According to the stories, immediately after he died some of his closest companions were in denial about his death but his father-in-law and closest companion, Abu Bakr, made sure to emphasise the mortal and dead part.

Abu Bakr praised and glorified Allah and said, No doubt! Whoever worshipped Muhammad, then Muhammad is dead, but whoever worshipped Allah, then Allah is Alive and shall never die." Then he recited Allah's Statement.:-- "(O Muhammad) Verily you will die, and they also will die." (39.30) He also recited:--

"Muhammad is no more than an Apostle; and indeed many Apostles have passed away, before him, If he dies Or is killed, will you then Turn back on your heels? And he who turns back On his heels, not the least Harm will he do to Allah And Allah will give reward to those Who are grateful." (3.144)

All of which, as I thought, is in complete contrast with the Christian idea that Christ pre-existed, became incarnate in Jesus, then died and rose again.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

ekim

« Reply #46722 on: June 17, 2023, 10:53:03 AM »

I'm not sure what love is or what it is supposed to represent so I might be the wrong person to discuss a loving god. Love just seems like a word people use to represent some feelings they have but the feelings and actions are very individual to them and it seems to sometimes involve some kind of gateway to emotional manipulation.

"Love is the energising elixir of the universe, the cause and effect of all harmonies, light's brilliance and the heat in wine and fire, it is the aroma of perfumes and the breath of the Divinity; it is the life in all being. Love is the quickening solvent in maya, and the coalescing agent in union.  It is all that the texts have to say, and the more that remains unspoken. What is Love?  Thou shalt know when thou becomest me." .... Rumi

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #46723 on: June 17, 2023, 11:21:31 AM »
Oh right - yes the Shahada is what you need to believe to call yourself a Muslim but I wouldn't know if it is an integral part of not being rejected by Allah - some Muslims believe that it is.
I take it then you are not sure then that acknowledgment of Mohammed and his office is necessary for salvation. If it is though then obviously a man has been promoted to being integral to salvation has he not? This promotion of a man does have echoes I believe in early Christianity which I will discuss later
I don't see how they claim to know what would get a person rejected - that might be their interpretation and opinion.
But would you class the suggestion as impossible within Islam?

I understand that no incarnation as in the case of Jesus here is being suggested, leaving Mohammed’s promotion to somehow being promoted to salvific importance in the Islamic context through the Shahada, intriguing.
As I said early Christians were a mix of trinitarians and non trinitarians some believing that Jesus was just a man promoted to divinity. We discussed earlier this year that God being known or made known raised theological objection from Islam and that would include the incarnation of Christianity. Man cannot know God. The theological counter objection from Christianity would be that that focussed on man and effectively challenges God’s sovereign ability to make himself known even through an incarnation.
I think this all ties in in this way. If the inclusion of Mohammed in the shahada is an instrumental part of salvation and Mohammed is a mere mortal, then doesn’t that go as far or further than Christianity which says that Jesus only saves because of his divinity?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 12:07:28 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Bramble

« Reply #46724 on: June 17, 2023, 12:12:48 PM »
I'm not sure what love is ...

'To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But, then one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer, not to love is to suffer, to suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love, to be happy, then, is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy, therefore, to be unhappy one must love, or love to suffer, or suffer from too much happiness, I hope you're getting this down.'
– Love and Death (Woody Allen)