Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3752067 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #47425 on: July 13, 2023, 08:59:31 PM »
Me, I follow the evidence.
To deliberately follow the evidence would require the conscious control which you deny exists.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

« Reply #47426 on: July 13, 2023, 09:04:16 PM »

Again, that wasn't exactly the claim. Spotting that something leads immediately to an infinite regress or that it is self-contradictory is not about knowledge of reality, it's about basic logic.
But there is no infinite regress when you realise that you are the source of the conscious control needed come to this flawed conclusion.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Maeght

« Reply #47427 on: July 13, 2023, 09:19:34 PM »
To deliberately follow the evidence would require the conscious control which you deny exists.

No it wouldn't. It requires a reaction to the evidence but the fact that a reaction results doesn't mean it is a free one and that you had control over it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 09:29:34 PM by Maeght »

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #47428 on: July 13, 2023, 09:33:36 PM »

Yet another argument by assertion fallacy.

But there is no infinite regress when you realise that you are the source of the conscious control needed come to this flawed conclusion.

Oh, don't be so childishly silly! The logic is simple and obvious. Control of anything requires a thought process, so conscious control of our own thought processes requires us to think about how to exercise control over each thought. That requires a further thought process, so you then have to think about how to exercise that control. That, in turn, also requires a thought process, so you need to think about how to exercise control that, and so on, ad infinitum. Just saying "you are the source of the conscious control" to try and get out of that is simply idiotic.

It is also fundamentally dishonest─a form of lying or bearing false witness─to just call something 'flawed' without having a good reason that you can explain.

Do stop this childish foot-stamping, it's embarrassing.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 09:36:48 PM by Stranger »
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #47429 on: July 13, 2023, 10:16:23 PM »
The only flawed conclusion that I can see here is the conclusion...."soul".

In fact I've yet to see a feasible explanation as to how the process of a soul which doesn't reside in this universe, stays in a timeless realm, is able to attach itself to one individual , read the brain patterns of said individual, translate and understand them in real time and then somehow manipulates the physical brain to follow commands.
I've also yet to see feasible explanations as to where how and when these souls are "created" how they attach to a person, when they attach to a person, how they exist after death etc.

Would you as the resident forum soul expert care to share?

Remember, "it's magic" or any sneaky attempts to dress up " it's magic" would be flawed arguements.

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Alan Burns

« Reply #47430 on: July 13, 2023, 11:12:33 PM »
No it wouldn't. It requires a reaction to the evidence but the fact that a reaction results doesn't mean it is a free one and that you had control over it.
please explain how a "reaction" can be guided to produce a correct result.
And what can verify the correctness of the result?
another reaction?

Surely the evidence needs to be assessed - what guides the assessment?
And before the evidence is assessed, it needs to be gathered from somewhere.
What is responsible for searching and collating evidence?

And before all this - there needs to be a defined goal for what is being investigated.  What is it that you are trying to do?   Can the process be commenced without conscious intention.

Can all this happen by reactions over which we have no conscious control?

Alan Burns

« Reply #47431 on: July 13, 2023, 11:16:25 PM »

Oh, don't be so childishly silly! The logic is simple and obvious. Control of anything requires a thought process, so conscious control of our own thought processes requires us to think about how to exercise control over each thought. That requires a further thought process, so you then have to think about how to exercise that control. That, in turn, also requires a thought process, so you need to think about how to exercise control that, and so on, ad infinitum. Just saying "you are the source of the conscious control" to try and get out of that is simply idiotic.
To come up with all this detailed argument is profound evidence of your own ability to consciously think things out - and come up with an inherently flawed conclusion - because it denies you the control you have just used.

Alan Burns

« Reply #47432 on: July 13, 2023, 11:19:54 PM »

In fact I've yet to see a feasible explanation as to how the process of a soul ...
You do not need to know how the soul can exert control - you just do it.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #47433 on: July 13, 2023, 11:35:11 PM »
You don't need to know  how material reactions can exert control, you just do it.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #47434 on: July 13, 2023, 11:37:25 PM »
another reaction?

You don't need to know  how material reactions can do all that, you just do it.
Albert Einstein

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #47435 on: July 13, 2023, 11:39:08 PM »

We have control, just not how you describe it.
You don't need to know  how material reactions can exert control, you just do it.
Albert Einstein

Maeght

« Reply #47436 on: July 14, 2023, 06:55:30 AM »
another reaction?

And before the evidence is assessed, it needs to be gathered from somewhere.
What is responsible for searching and collating evidence?

And before all this - there needs to be a defined goal for what is being investigated.  What is it that you are trying to do?   Can the process be commenced without conscious intention.

I didn't say a reaction was guided. We know that our brains are programmed by our experiences and the reaction I referred to is how the brain reacts to external stimuli due to that programming.

In this model there is no guiding and yes the process can commence without conscious intent or conscious control. We live in a soup of stimuli and are reacting to that all the time.

torridon

« Reply #47437 on: July 14, 2023, 07:20:55 AM »
To come up with all this detailed argument is profound evidence of your own ability to consciously think things out - and come up with an inherently flawed conclusion - because it denies you the control you have just used.

Of course we can think things out (when conscious), but that observation does not negate the findings from the sciences of the mind, that all conscious thoughts and mental states derive from non-conscious origins. Conscious thoughts are an outcome of how minds work.

Stranger

« Reply #47438 on: July 14, 2023, 07:46:48 AM »
please explain...

Argument from ignorance fallacy (dimwitted logical mistake). Even the total absence of any other explanation does not make some baseless fantasy any more believable. What's more, nobody needs to explain anything at all to see that your 'answers' are logically impossible.

Stranger

« Reply #47439 on: July 14, 2023, 07:53:03 AM »

More mindless, infantile foot-stamping, i.e. argument by assertion dimwitted logical mistake.

Also, you really should stop telling lies about evidence. Doesn't your god get all angry about 'bearing false witness'? Nothing anybody could possibly do could possibly be evidence for your impossible, absurd claims. Nothing. You can't have evidence for the impossible.

Stranger

« Reply #47440 on: July 14, 2023, 07:55:20 AM »

Even more mindless, infantile foot-stamping and argument by assertion dimwitted logical mistake.

Alan Burns

« Reply #47441 on: July 14, 2023, 07:55:36 AM »
Of course we can think things out (when conscious), but that observation does not negate the findings from the sciences of the mind, that all conscious thoughts and mental states derive from non-conscious origins. Conscious thoughts are an outcome of how minds work.
That all depends on conscious thought being defined in material terms.

Maeght

« Reply #47442 on: July 14, 2023, 08:15:22 AM »

This is what I think you should be saying rather than just going on about apparent decisions etc indicating free will when they don't. You need to invoke a non material soul to break the infinite regression. There is no evidence for a soul though.

torridon

« Reply #47443 on: July 14, 2023, 08:39:43 AM »

As opposed to magical terms, yes

Alan Burns

« Reply #47444 on: July 14, 2023, 08:52:04 AM »
Argument from ignorance fallacy (dimwitted logical mistake). Even the total absence of any other explanation does not make some baseless fantasy any more believable. What's more, nobody needs to explain anything at all to see that your 'answers' are logically impossible.
But in order for you to arrive at the consciously verified conclusion that my answers are logically impossible you need to :
1. Read and understand the content of my post which then enters your conscious awareness.
2. Contemplate what exists in your conscious awareness and assess its validity against your own take on the subject.
3. Once you have formed an opinion, you then compose a reply to express your opinion.

And you believe it is all done without any conscious control.

No doubt you will repeat the process in dealing with this post and in doing so you will provide yet more reasons for me to consciously asses that your conclusions are wrong.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #47445 on: July 14, 2023, 08:53:06 AM »
You don't need to know  how material terms are defined, they just do the job.
Albert Einstein

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #47446 on: July 14, 2023, 08:59:03 AM »

And you believe it is all done without any conscious control.
Not as you declare it to be.

Using deterministic principles and following the logic and research, yes.

By the way could you point to the equally researched papers on "souls" in order that a comparison be made.
In the interests of balance and fairness I think that is the least that you can do.

I'm sure that you don't want to be measuring well thought out peer reviewed data with , well magic...do you?
Albert Einstein

Alan Burns

« Reply #47447 on: July 14, 2023, 09:15:38 AM »

Using deterministic principles and following the logic and research, yes.

What is it that can contemplate the existence and application of deterministic principles?
What is it that can follow logic and examine research?

could it be your conscious awareness?
of course not because conscious awareness can't do anything - it just becomes aware of what has already been done.
so what does it?

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #47448 on: July 14, 2023, 09:18:41 AM »
What is it that can contemplate the existence and application of deterministic principles?
What is it that can follow logic and examine research?

could it be your conscious awareness?
of course not because conscious awareness can't do anything - it just becomes aware of what has already been done.
so what does it?

The following is an official Alan Burns type reply.
It therefore must be accepted without question!

You don't need to know  what does it, you just have to know that it does
Albert Einstein

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #47449 on: July 14, 2023, 09:25:27 AM »
AB,

Actually it all depends on whether the logic for it is sound (which it is), but in any case what other terms would you propose – the white noise woo of "faith" that has no bridge from the subjective to the objective? Really? 
"Don't make me come down there."

God