Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3752436 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #47525 on: July 17, 2023, 12:57:53 PM »
You haven't shown that it is a reality that we are free to do so, just asserted it.
My freedom to assert it demonstrates that it is a reality.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #47526 on: July 17, 2023, 01:13:45 PM »
AB,

The problem with your "if you can produce arguments that show my arguments to be shit that means my arguments aren't shit" Catch-22 is that the arguments that undo you also falsify the Catch-22 you're attempting.

You have no sound arguments to justify your various blind faith claims. Deal with it.   
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 01:17:04 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #47527 on: July 17, 2023, 02:43:49 PM »
AB,

The problem with your "if you can produce arguments that show my arguments to be shit that means my arguments aren't shit" Catch-22 is that the arguments that undo you also falsify the Catch-22 you're attempting.

You have no sound arguments to justify your various blind faith claims. Deal with it.
The problem with your view is that you seem to be demanding a scientific explanation for the conscious control of our thoughts.
If there was a scientific explanation, we would have no control of our thoughts, because the laws of science would be in control.
But there is a problem in that we have no scientific definition for what comprises human thought or what drives it.
And we have demonstrable ability to think things out and come up with verifiable conclusions.
So is it unreasonable for me to question your presumption of a scientific explanation?
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Maeght

« Reply #47528 on: July 17, 2023, 03:01:22 PM »

No it isn't, really. It shows you have a thought and decided to post it but not that this was a free thought or that the decision to post was free.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #47529 on: July 17, 2023, 03:02:58 PM »
AB,

Lie 1:

The problem with your view is that you seem to be demanding a scientific explanation for the conscious control of our thoughts.

No I’m not. What I’m “demanding” is just a logically possible explanation for the (supposed) "conscious control of our thoughts".

Lie 2:

If there was a scientific explanation, we would have no control of our thoughts, because the laws of science would be in control.

The laws of science don’t control things, they explain and predict them.

Lie 3:

But there is a problem in that we have no scientific definition for what comprises human thought or what drives it.

Yes we have. What we don’t have (at least not yet) is an understanding of consciousness that’s sufficiently robust to be called a theory, so instead we have logically coherent hypotheses awaiting confirmation, rejection or amendment as and when they can be tested.

Lie 4:

And we have demonstrable ability to think things out and come up with verifiable conclusions.

So is it unreasonable for me to question your presumption of a scientific explanation?

Yes because that’s not the “presumption”. The presumption (as you well know given the hundreds of times it’s been explained to you already) is that to be taken seriously a proposed explanation must be logically possible. That’s why “soul” falls at the first hurdle. It’s not that you’re wrong about that, it’s that you’re not even wrong about that. Epistemically it’s just white noise. There’s nothing to consider, which is why you have precisely zero information about it that, even in principle, could be addressed and evaluated. You may as well assert into existence “yg89769tuy” for all the epistemic use your claim "soul" has.

Do you get it now?     

« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 04:42:35 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #47530 on: July 17, 2023, 05:33:47 PM »

No I’m not. What I’m “demanding” is just a logically possible explanation for the (supposed) "conscious control of our thoughts".

I put it to you that your ability to think things out would be impossible without conscious control of your thoughts.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #47531 on: July 17, 2023, 06:16:03 PM »
AB,

I put it to you that your ability to think things out would be impossible without conscious control of your thoughts.

As that notion is ludicrously not even wrong for the reasons that keep being explained to you and you persistently ignore nonetheless, why would you do that?

If I put it to you that leprechauns leave pots of gold at the ends of rainbows would you:

A. Agree with me notwithstanding the logical impossibility and total lack of evidence; or

B. Conclude that I was an idiot? Or a liar? Or both?

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #47532 on: July 17, 2023, 07:45:52 PM »
AB,

As that notion is ludicrously not even wrong for the reasons that keep being explained to you and you persistently ignore nonetheless, why would you do that?

If I put it to you that leprechauns leave pots of gold at the ends of rainbows would you:

A. Agree with me notwithstanding the logical impossibility and total lack of evidence; or

B. Conclude that I was an idiot? Or a liar? Or both?
Your "explanations" do not explain how you can think things out and come to verifiable conclusions without any conscious control of your thoughts.
How can you possibly compare this with leprechauns and pots of gold? ???

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #47533 on: July 17, 2023, 07:47:36 PM »
I put it to you that - conscious control of your thoughts - as claimed by you, is a logical impossibility.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #47534 on: July 17, 2023, 07:49:48 PM »
Your "explanations" do not explain how you can think things out and come to verifiable conclusions without any conscious control of your thoughts.
How can you possibly compare this with leprechauns and pots of gold? ???
Easy
Leprechaun pot of gold rainbow , magic.
Soul, magic
Therefore soul=leprechaun=magic.

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

torridon

« Reply #47535 on: July 17, 2023, 07:59:54 PM »
According to the materialist view I do not have the freedom to think or to reason.

But nonetheless we all can think and we all can reason. So what does that tell us about your concept of 'freedom' here ?  It tells us that it is an incoherent distraction that adds nothing of any real value; it's nothing but anthropocentric hubris.

torridon

« Reply #47536 on: July 17, 2023, 08:06:56 PM »

That is what I am asking you. Since the conscious mind is dependent on the sub/unconscious mind.....what is the unconscious mind dependent on?

I suppose you could say it is dependent on its inputs.  Like a watermill is dependent on the flow of water coming down the millrace, so also a mind is dependent on an array of sensory inputs.  Put someone into sensory deprivation, it will not be long before their mind starts to break down.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #47537 on: July 17, 2023, 08:29:55 PM »
AB,

Yes it does. It’s just a self-referential integrated system able to produce ideas and options and to evaluate them within its various sub-systems. 

How can you possibly compare this with leprechauns and pots of gold?

Because, obviously, what I actually compared was the application of the same reasoning to different claims.

Try to be honest here just this once will you? In rhetorical argument there’s something called the “reductio ad absurdum” – it’s the falsification of a proposition by applying its justifying reasoning to a different claim and reaching an obviously absurd conclusion. When that happens, it tells you that the reasoning must therefore be false.

Still with me? Ok then…

…take then my proposition “leprechauns leave pots of gold at the ends or rainbows” (and no, don’t just dive down your knee-jerk “how can you possibly compare…” etc again – I’ve just explained this: it’s the arguments that matter here, not their objects).

OK, so I assume that you wouldn’t agree with my proposition about leprechauns would you? So let’s look at why you wouldn’t agree with it. My guess is that your rejection of my claim would go something like:

1. It’s logically impossible as there are no ends of rainbows; and

2. Moreover, there’s no evidence at all for either leprechauns or for their supposed pots of gold.

Would that be a fair summation of your objections?

So let’s assume that after lots and lots of prevarication and irrelevances from me (“I assure you leprechauns are real”, “if it wasn’t for leprechauns there’d be no need for rainbows”, “my faith in leprechauns is rock solid”, “if you can make arguments that deny the existence of leprechauns that means that leprechauns are real” etc) that you’d patiently dismantled I had nowhere left to hide and so, finally, I’d have to address your two principle objections.

In that case you’d have got me bang to rights right? Leprechauns leaving pots of gold at the ends of rainbows are logically impossible, and there’s no evidence for them in any case so you’d have got me. How could I possible escape the iron grip of your reasoning here?

Well, it turns out to be simple. Kind of. All I have to say in reply is something like, “Aha! But you’re demanding scientific evidence for leprechauns leaving pots of gold at the ends of rainbows, but the argument for leprechauns doesn’t depend on that on that all. To the contrary, my leprechauns live outside time and space and what’s more in leprechaun land reasons and logic don’t apply any more (or at least the reasons and logic that I decide don’t apply there don’t apply there) so both of your objections fail".

Still with me? Good.

Now then, as I’ve been doing all the work it’s time for you to do some. How would you argue against me now I’ve played the special pleading magic leprechauns card?

Over to you…
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 10:12:07 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #47538 on: July 17, 2023, 11:12:34 PM »
AB,

Yes it does. It’s just a self-referential integrated system able to produce ideas and options and to evaluate them within its various sub-systems. 

Because, obviously, what I actually compared was the application of the same reasoning to different claims.

Try to be honest here just this once will you? In rhetorical argument there’s something called the “reductio ad absurdum” – it’s the falsification of a proposition by applying its justifying reasoning to a different claim and reaching an obviously absurd conclusion. When that happens, it tells you that the reasoning must therefore be false.

Still with me? Ok then…

…take then my proposition “leprechauns leave pots of gold at the ends or rainbows” (and no, don’t just dive down your knee-jerk “how can you possibly compare…” etc again – I’ve just explained this: it’s the arguments that matter here, not their objects).

OK, so I assume that you wouldn’t agree with my proposition about leprechauns would you? So let’s look at why you wouldn’t agree with it. My guess is that your rejection of my claim would go something like:

1. It’s logically impossible as there are no ends of rainbows; and

2. Moreover, there’s no evidence at all for either leprechauns or for their supposed pots of gold.

Would that be a fair summation of your objections?

So let’s assume that after lots and lots of prevarication and irrelevances from me (“I assure you leprechauns are real”, “if it wasn’t for leprechauns there’d be no need for rainbows”, “my faith in leprechauns is rock solid”, “if you can make arguments that deny the existence of leprechauns that means that leprechauns are real” etc) that you’d patiently dismantled I had nowhere left to hide and so, finally, I’d have to address your two principle objections.

In that case you’d have got me bang to rights right? Leprechauns leaving pots of gold at the ends of rainbows are logically impossible, and there’s no evidence for them in any case so you’d have got me. How could I possible escape the iron grip of your reasoning here?

Well, it turns out to be simple. All I have to say in reply is something like, “Aha! But you’re demanding scientific evidence for leprechauns leaving pots of gold at the ends of rainbows, but the argument for leprechauns doesn’t depend on that on that all. To the contrary, my leprechauns live outside time and space and what’s more in leprechaun land reasons and logic don’t apply any more (or at least the reasons and logic that I decide don’t apply there don’t apply there) so both of your objections fail.

Still with me? Good.

Now then, as I’ve been doing all the work it’s time for you to do some. How would you argue against me now I’ve played the special pleading magic leprechauns card?

Over to you…
I have to admit that I am struggling to see the point you are trying to make.

Is it based around your assumption that conscious control of our thoughts is a logical impossibility - therefore my attempts to verify the reality of our conscious control are doomed to failure?  If so this is the point of contention.  The fact that you do have conscious control of your thoughts is blindingly obvious to me.  The more you try to explain away this reality the more you compound the evidence that it is a reality.

You act as if you are an outside agency investigating the workings of a material brain  - which in my mind reflects the truth.  But in your scenario you are the material brain which is under investigation and as such will be subject to the constraints found in the investigation - which would mean that if your conclusion that you have no conscious control of your thoughts is correct, the investigation could never have taken place.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 11:16:21 PM by Alan Burns »

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #47539 on: July 18, 2023, 06:31:39 AM »
My aim is to help people discover their true self - that they are not just an unintended consequence emerging from material reactions.

How do you think posting blatant lies about evidence, ignoring logical impossibilities in your proposals, and using endless fallacies (that you then lie again about) is going to do that?

Who would want to follow you into obvious, crippling self-delusion?
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Stranger

« Reply #47540 on: July 18, 2023, 06:53:32 AM »
Without the conscious freedom of my soul I would be unable to consider anything.

Argument by assertion fallacy (yet again).

Stop lying.

No it isn't. The problem is that "conscious control of out thoughts" is impossible due to a applying simple logic to it and getting an infinite regress. Science doesn't come into it.

It is also quite clearly the case, from direct experience, that we don't have such control. When I am considering something, I obviously have no control over what will occur to me next.

Nobody needs an alternative explanation to rule out a logically self-contradictory one. You are also using a shifting the burden of proof fallacy.

Stranger

« Reply #47541 on: July 18, 2023, 06:59:14 AM »
Is it based around your assumption that conscious control of our thoughts is a logical impossibility - therefore my attempts to verify the reality of our conscious control are doomed to failure?  If so this is the point of contention.  The fact that you do have conscious control of your thoughts is blindingly obvious to me.

In that case, consciously decide what your next conscious thought will be, before you think it.

How did that go?

The more you try to explain away this reality the more you compound the evidence that it is a reality.

Saying that what people do is evidence for your impossibly nonsense is lying. Evidence is facts that support your hypothesis and are not consistent with any alternatives. There cannot possibly be facts that support the logical impossibility of an infinite regress.

You act as if you are an outside agency investigating the workings of a material brain  - which in my mind reflects the truth.

Argument from personal incredulity fallacy.

But in your scenario you are the material brain which is under investigation and as such will be subject to the constraints found in the investigation - which would mean that if your conclusion that you have no conscious control of your thoughts is correct, the investigation could never have taken place.

Begging the question fallacy.

Alan Burns

« Reply #47542 on: July 18, 2023, 11:22:12 AM »
In that case, consciously decide what your next conscious thought will be, before you think it.

Your question is nonsense.  You could not have thought up this silly question without the ability to consciously guide your thoughts.

I am not an automated biological robot with no will of my own.
I consciously guide my thoughts to reach consciously verified conclusions.
Can you not comprehend the impossibility of reaching consciously verified conclusions without conscious guidance of your thoughts?
Your "logically impossible" scenario is entirely based upon your (consciously derived) premiss that everything in our human mind must be caused by past events over which we have no control - because we can't control the past.  Why can't you accept the possibility that the conscious entity of awareness which is you is not entirely driven by reactions to the past, but can consciously invoke interactions within your present state of mind?  This is the reality we all enjoy - our freedom to think.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #47543 on: July 18, 2023, 11:36:40 AM »
AB,

I have to admit that I am struggling to see the point you are trying to make.

The point(s) were simple enough:

1. There’s no necessity for something other than the material, mortal “us” for consciousness to exist and, even if there was, introducing another agency to do the job (“soul”) just relocates your mistaken objection to that agency. Your way out of that (“it’s magic innit”) isn’t an explanation, it’s the abnegation of an explanation.

2. You don’t understand how analogies work. An analogy isn’t the comparison of different objects, it’s the comparison of the same argument applied to those different objects. Hence “a good man is as hard to find as a needle in a haystack” isn’t a comparison of good men and needles – it’s a comparison of the difficulty of finding both of them.

I’ve explained this to you before but you just ran away so it’s s disappointing to have to explain to you again.

3. Your grounds for not accepting my claim “leprechauns leave pots of gold at the ends or rainbows” are the same grounds that I rely on to reject your claims “soul”, “god” etc – they’re logically impossible and there’s no evidence for them in any case. This is why the soul/leprechaun analogy is as valid as the good men/needles analogy.

4. Your solution to the logical problems this gives you is to take recourse in magical thinking - you assert into existence various entities to which, in magic land, the rules of logic and evidence no longer apply – or at least you select (apparently arbitrarily) which rules of logic and evidence don’t apply in magic land.

This isn’t a solution at all though, for reasons that should be obvious to you – if you want to claim a magic realm in which (some) rules of logic and evidence no longer apply there’s nothing to consider. It’s just white noise. When you asset cause and effect no longer to apply in magic land, then there’s qualitatively no difference between that and also asserting that 2 +2 =5 in magic land too. Anything goes.

Are you clear now?   

Is it based around your assumption that conscious control of our thoughts is a logical impossibility - therefore my attempts to verify the reality of our conscious control are doomed to failure?

Logical deduction isn’t “an assumption”. It would help if you stopped lying about that too.

If so this is the point of contention.  The fact that you do have conscious control of your thoughts is blindingly obvious to me.  The more you try to explain away this reality the more you compound the evidence that it is a reality.

This idiocy has long-since been refuted, and many times too. Just because something is obvious to you doesn’t make it objectively true, at least not at the explanatory level of truth rather than at the everyday lived experience level of truth. 

You act as if you are an outside agency investigating the workings of a material brain  - which in my mind reflects the truth.  But in your scenario you are the material brain which is under investigation and as such will be subject to the constraints found in the investigation - which would mean that if your conclusion that you have no conscious control of your thoughts is correct, the investigation could never have taken place.

What you’re groping towards here called the hard problem of consciousness (once described as “you can’t cut butter with a knife made of butter”). In other word, we can’t step outside “ourselves” to observe objectively from the outside how consciousness works. This much is true, but that doesn’t give us licence to assert myths and fairy tales instead to bridge the gap from subjective to objective. We have extraordinarily well tried and tested methods to distinguish subjective opinions (“It’s obvious to me…” etc) from objective truths and, whether or not these methods will ever crack the hard problem on consciousness, as they're the only investigable and verifiable show in town for this purpose there’s no good reason to abandon them for white noise superstitions.     

I have little hope that you’ll understand much of this, or for that matter that you’ll have the basic decency not just to run away from it again but there it is nonetheless. Either embrace and rely on reason and logic for your understanding of the world or don’t, but don’t abandon it for blind faith and then claim the blind faith is also underpinned by reason and logic after all but that you can never produce.

Oh, and especially if all you have is “the fact that you can make these arguments that falsify me must mean that I’m right” utter bullshit Catch-22 please don’t bother. That’d just be you running away again.   

God

Stranger

« Reply #47544 on: July 18, 2023, 11:39:10 AM »
Your question is nonsense.

It wasn't a question. I was just asking you to consciously control your own thought processes, like you claimed you could do. If it doesn't mean that, what the hell is it supposed to mean?

You could not have thought up this silly question without the ability to consciously guide your thoughts.

Assertion fallacy.

I am not an automated biological robot with no will of my own.

Both an assertion fallacy and a misrepresentation. I didn't claim you had no will of your own.

I consciously guide my thoughts to reach consciously verified conclusions.

Assertion fallacy.

Can you not comprehend the impossibility of reaching consciously verified conclusions without conscious guidance of your thoughts?

No. Your dimwitted claim makes no more sense than claiming 1 = 2.

Your "logically impossible" scenario is entirely based upon your (consciously derived) premiss that everything in our human mind must be caused by past events over which we have no control - because we can't control the past.

False. Either a barefaced lie or a failure to read and understand what has been said to you.

Why can't you accept the possibility that the conscious entity of awareness which is you is not entirely driven by reactions to the past, but can consciously invoke interactions within your present state of mind?

Because it's meaningless gibberish, for reasons you continue to totally ignore.

This is the reality we all enjoy - our freedom to think.

False. I do not experience this, in the way you define it, at all, let alone enjoy it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 11:51:12 AM by Stranger »

Alan Burns

« Reply #47545 on: July 18, 2023, 12:05:56 PM »

Logical deduction isn’t “an assumption”. It would help if you stopped lying about that too.

Your "logical" deduction is based on an assumption that everything in your conscious mind is a reaction to past events over which you have no control - you can't control the past.
How can you be so certain that this assumption is true?
Do you really know enough about reality to make this claim?
Could you even make this claim without having conscious control of your thoughts?
Can you make any logical deduction without conscious control of your thoughts?

Stranger

« Reply #47546 on: July 18, 2023, 12:17:18 PM »
Your "logical" deduction is based on an assumption that everything in your conscious mind is a reaction to past events over which you have no control - you can't control the past.

It would help if you at least made some attempt to keep up. The problem with conscious control of thought process is an infinite regress that occurs simply as a result of the claim itself.

The argument about determinism is a different logical problem that is based on the necessity of time for any sort of process and the fact that either events in time are deterministic or not, and not deterministic being same thing as involving randomness.

Neither are assumptions.

Could you even make this claim without having conscious control of your thoughts?

Since conscious control of our thoughts is logically impossible, obviously yes. You are back at the mindless idiocy of asking how arithmetic can work without 1 = 2.

What's the point of endlessly repeating the same nonsensical drivel time after time, even after it has been answered? Why not at least pretend to be a rational individual and attempt to address the answers you've had before repeating it like some demented "speak-your-weight" machine?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #47547 on: July 18, 2023, 12:40:40 PM »
AB,

My logical deduction (the poisoning the well speech marks are unnecessary) is sound inasmuch as your only way out of it is to invoke magic – which isn’t a way out at all.

How can you be so certain that this assumption is true?

I don’t claim to be “sure” about anything, but I’m as sure of that as I am sure that if I drop an apple it will fall to the floor.

Why aren’t you?

Do you really know enough about reality to make this claim?

It’s not my claim – it’s your straw man version of it, but yes I do know enough to make the claim I actually make – namely that logical deductions are more robust than blind guessing. 

Even leaving aside for now the logical impossibility of “conscious control of your thoughts”, yes.

See above. No-one can “consciously control of their thoughts” for reasons that should be obvious to you by now.

By the way, as in my last post I took the time to correct the various mistakes you’d made in your previous post why have you been so discourteous as to ignore almost all of it? 

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #47548 on: July 18, 2023, 02:19:37 PM »

Since conscious control of our thoughts is logically impossible, obviously yes. You are back at the mindless idiocy of asking how arithmetic can work without 1 = 2.

What's the point of endlessly repeating the same nonsensical drivel time after time, even after it has been answered? Why not at least pretend to be a rational individual and attempt to address the answers you've had before repeating it like some demented "speak-your-weight" machine?
Conscious control of your thoughts is a necessary reality in order to arrive at consciously verified conclusions - why do you deny this fact?
If it was a logical impossibility, you would never be able to conclude that it is a logical impossibility, because you would have no means to reach this conscious conclusion.

Alan Burns

« Reply #47549 on: July 18, 2023, 02:25:44 PM »
– namely that logical deductions are more robust than blind guessing. 

I agree
But I still can't fathom out how logical deductions can be made without any conscious control of your thoughts.

Is it blind guessing to come to the realisation that your conscious control is the reality which enables you to make logical deductions?