Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3749468 times)

Gordon

• Administrator
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #48075 on: September 11, 2023, 07:27:19 AM »
Not exactly blind faith.
Have you given any consideration to the numerous miracles attributed to the intersession of saints after they die?
The RC church requires at least two verified miracles as one of the steps leading to canonisation as a saint.

How does the RC church objectively verify a 'miracle', and is the decision to conclude that there was a 'miracle' involve a theological input or interpretation? I maybe wrong here, and call me sceptical if you wish, but if is it the case that miracle claims are only accepted once approved by the RCC hiearchy then there could be a risk of bias and propaganda involved here too if an intended consequence is to reinforce the 'faith' of the already 'faithful', since I'd imagine they are the target audience.

Since a 'miracle' implies that the normal order of things has been suspended, but in specially cases only, futher implying supernatural agency, then presumably the naturalistic risks of mistakes or lies must have been meaningfully excluded, but if the essence of a 'miracle' is that there is a 'something' that seems unexplained, to the extent that a 'miracle' becomes the best RCC-approved explanation, then whatever happened to more everyday options involving reasonable scepticism and a recognition of human artifice? As that great philosopher John McEnroe famously said "You cannot be serious".

There are more than a few people over the last 3 years who've said they will pray for a cure for me - so how come I still have terminal cancer?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 08:23:55 AM by Gordon »

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #48076 on: September 11, 2023, 09:11:05 AM »

Lourdes attracts around 6 million pilgrims annually.  Many of them people in dire need suffering from terrible afflications.  And how many miracles has God decided to grant ?  According to the Catholic Church, Zero.  Not a single miracle granted so far this century. 
Which just goes to show that the RC church has very strict criteria for verifying a miracle cure.
I know many people who have been on a Lourdes pilgrimage, and my wife once worked there as a helper.
I know of no one who regrets the amazing spiritual uplift they experienced there - which is why it continues to attract so many pilgrims.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #48077 on: September 11, 2023, 09:32:12 AM »
Which just goes to show that the RC church has very strict criteria for verifying a miracle cure.

Which are? Who arbitrates on whether these criteria are met?

I know many people who have been on a Lourdes pilgrimage, and my wife once worked there as a helper.
I know of no one who regrets the amazing spiritual uplift they experienced there - which is why it continues to attract so many pilgrims.

Perhaps that is because that is the sort of thing they like. People can get a personal sense of 'uplift' as a subjective response from many things depending on their personal traits and inclinations: sport being an obvious example.

torridon

« Reply #48078 on: September 11, 2023, 09:34:28 AM »

Yes, I know.  The fact that people feel uplifted, but no actual miracles take place in reality just confirms that it is all in the mind.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #48079 on: September 11, 2023, 09:35:54 AM »

...given that this happened fairly recently......

Just one recent example of praying for other people - a close friend of ours was diagnosed with liver cancer in October 2021 and given a few weeks to live.  My wife and I prayed for a miracle.  Our friend is now enjoying a full lifestyle after the damaged liver somehow regenerated and she is currently thinking about becoming a Christian.  Yes - I know that coincidences do occur and I am fully aware that not all prayers get such a miraculous answer, but I have faith in the power of prayer - all prayers get answered and they allow God's amazing power to come into our lives.

... I can only assume that you are in the process .of getting that miracle verified.

Can you share how it is proceeding, because on the face of it there seems to be no doubt that it was a miracle what with all of the evidence that you have attributed to it?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48080 on: September 11, 2023, 10:45:43 AM »
AB,

Not exactly blind faith.

No, exactly blind faith. That’s all you have when you have no sound reasons or evidence to justify the claim.

You recently accused me of dismissing evidence and then instead of evidence listed various logically unsupportable claims. Now that’s fallen apart you’ve ignored the problem and moved on to something else.

Why is that? 

Have you given any consideration to the numerous miracles attributed to the intersession of saints after they die?

No. Why would any rational person do that?

The RC church requires at least two verified miracles as one of the steps leading to canonisation as a saint.

No, it requires what it deems to be "verifications". How on earth would you propose to make the leap from “we can’t find an explanation for X” to “therefore X is miraculous” even conceptually?

Anyway, yet again…

… you claimed to have valid arguments to justify your claim "god". Why not then just cut and paste one of them here so that claim can be examined?   
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #48081 on: September 11, 2023, 10:56:49 AM »

No. Why would any rational person do that?

I know of plenty of rational people who do believe in miracles.  One is a professor who works as a psychiatrist for the NHS

It is people like you who do not wish to believe in miracles who would not even consider looking at the evidence.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 11:03:32 AM by Alan Burns »
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48082 on: September 11, 2023, 11:00:28 AM »
AB,

Just one recent example of praying for other people - a close friend of ours was diagnosed with liver cancer in October 2021 and given a few weeks to live.  My wife and I prayed for a miracle.  Our friend is now enjoying a full lifestyle after the damaged liver somehow regenerated and she is currently thinking about becoming a Christian.  Yes - I know that coincidences do occur and I am fully aware that not all prayers get such a miraculous answer, but I have faith in the power of prayer - all prayers get answered and they allow God's amazing power to come into our lives.

Bit of a fan of the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy too are we?

Anecdotes aren’t evidence. When people who actually care about evidence eliminate biases, fallacious reasoning etc by, for example, conducting double-blind trials guess what they find when the outcomes of prayed for and not prayed for patients are compared?

Can you guess?

That’s right – there’s no difference at all. You may as well have chanted “Wimoweh” in Mandarin or hopped backwards in small circles with a carrot up your nose for all the difference it made to your friend. If it makes you feel special to tell yourself you made a life-saving intervention that’s a matter for you, but it’s still unpleasant bullshit nonetheless.           

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48083 on: September 11, 2023, 11:04:22 AM »
AB,

I know of plenty of rational people who do believe in miracles.

Then they're not rational - or at least not in respect to their opinions about "miracles".

It is people like you who do not wish to believe in miracles who would not consider looking at the evidence.

Why are you such a blatant liar? Would Jesus be proud of you for it do you think?

"People like me" would happily look at the evidence if ever there was any. So far at least though, there's been none - despite my repeatedly asking you to provide some.

Why is that?

God

torridon

« Reply #48084 on: September 11, 2023, 11:22:46 AM »

It is people like you who do not wish to believe in miracles who would not even consider looking at the evidence.

Projection.  Or, perhaps, reverse projection.

What people want to believe is irrelevant to anybody that cares about truth.  Has it become so normaiised for you that you cannot conceive that other people actually try to be objective about things and have outgrown wishful thinking ?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48085 on: September 11, 2023, 11:35:41 AM »
AB,

Just an aside, what does the Catholic church do when it’s “verified” a “miracle” and later on finds that there was a perfectly feasible (but less thrilling} explanation? What happens when, say, someone prayed for gets better but it turns out they were consuming something subsequently known to have medicinal properties?

Does the church change its mind? De-sanctify the saint maybe? At least have the decency to announce that it had got that one wrong?

What though?       

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #48086 on: September 11, 2023, 11:52:14 AM »
AB,

Just an aside, what does the Catholic church do when it’s “verified” a “miracle” and later on finds that there was a perfectly feasible (but less thrilling} explanation? What happens when, say, someone prayed for gets better but it turns out they were consuming something subsequently known to have medicinal properties?

Does the church change its mind? De-sanctify the saint maybe? At least have the decency to announce that it had got that one wrong?

What though?     
They do occasionally tidy up saints who may never have existed, which rather undermines the stringency claim 

https://www.stnicholascenter.org/who-is-st-nicholas/real-saint/upi

Alan Burns

« Reply #48087 on: September 11, 2023, 12:00:47 PM »
AB,

What though?     
I do not know of any specific examples, but I am sure that mistakes can and have been made - but this does not lead to a conclusion that every miracle claim must have been a mistake.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48088 on: September 11, 2023, 12:03:47 PM »

NS,

They do occasionally tidy up saints who may never have existed, which rather undermines the stringency claim

https://www.stnicholascenter.org/who-is-st-nicholas/real-saint/upi

Thanks for this – interesting read. BUT:

There isn't any Santa Claus—and that's official. The Vatican Friday demoted St. Nicholas, above.”

They killed Father Christmas too? Seriously though? Have these people no heart?!!!

Also by the way util they demoted St George, as his “miracle” was slaying a dragon presumably necessarily therefore the catholic church believed there was once at least one dragon around too?   

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48089 on: September 11, 2023, 12:11:12 PM »
AB,

I do not know of any specific examples, but I am sure that mistakes can and have been made - but this does not lead to a conclusion that every miracle claim must have been a mistake.

No-one said that it does. What can be said though is that the justification of having verified a "miracle" is necessarily wrong. The only way the church could do that (assuming for now it could ever even define "miracle") would be if it was also omniscient - ie capable eliminating every possible natural explanation.

Anyway...

... about those "valid arguments" you claimed to have but have still yet to produce. Any news on that please? 

God

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #48090 on: September 11, 2023, 12:11:58 PM »
Is your miracle above claim a mistake?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48091 on: September 11, 2023, 12:50:30 PM »
Seb,

Is your miracle above claim a mistake?

After England lost Tom Curry to a red card against Argentina this weekend we had no chance of winning right? Fortunately though I sacrificed my teddy bear Algy to the great Odin and managed to turn the thing around.

I have to say that I’m a bit disappointed that Steve Borthwck and the boys haven’t found the time to thank me yet but hey, I guess they’re busy training and stuff so I’ll let it go this time.   

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #48092 on: September 11, 2023, 12:56:43 PM »

Also by the way util they demoted St George, as his “miracle” was slaying a dragon presumably necessarily therefore the catholic church believed there was once at least one dragon around too?
The RC church has never verified the "slaying of the dragon" myth

St George was a Roman officer of Greek descent who was martyred for his Christian faith in the pre Constantine era of persecution.
I believe he is still a recognised saint of the church.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48093 on: September 11, 2023, 02:07:46 PM »
AB,
The RC church has never verified the "slaying of the dragon" myth

St George was a Roman officer of Greek descent who was martyred for his Christian faith in the pre Constantine era of persecution.
I believe he is still a recognised saint of the church.

Well, according to the site NS linked to:

Church authorities stressed that there was no doubt of the authenticity of St. Nicholas, a southern Italian bishop, or of another saint similarly affected-St. George, the legendary dragon slayer who has been patron saint of England since the Crusades.”

It’s irrelevant to the problems you keep running away from in any case though. So just to catch you up with some of them…

You claimed to have “valid arguments” to justify you claim “god” yet you cannot or will not produce even one of them here. Why is that?

You accused me of dismissing “evidence” but none of the subsequent claims you made to illustrate that charge were evidence at all. Why is that? 

I explained to you why verification of “miracles” is logically impossible without omniscience, but you ignored that explanation. Why is that?

You implied that your praying cured someone of an illness. I explained why your reasoning about that was wrong, but you didn’t address that. Why is that?

The list goes on but you get the drift.

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #48094 on: September 12, 2023, 10:41:13 AM »

You claimed to have “valid arguments” to justify you claim “god” yet you cannot or will not produce even one of them here. Why is that?
I truly believe they are valid arguments.  I can't understand why you say they are not valid.
You accused me of dismissing “evidence” but none of the subsequent claims you made to illustrate that charge were evidence at all. Why is that? 
I truly believe in the evidence I give.  I can't understand how you can dismiss it.
I explained to you why verification of “miracles” is logically impossible without omniscience, but you ignored that explanation. Why is that?
Validation of miracles involves looking at realistic probabilities or improbabilities.
I believe that God's miracles come about by intentional manipulation of forces and elements to bring about a desired result.  Any scientific investigation will identify what appear to be "chance" events which just happen to coincide with prayers.

To explain further:
If I won the national lottery, it would be regarded as a chance event.
If I won it twice in succession, it may be regarded as perhaps a freak occurrence, but still just attributed to random unintended events.
If I won it every week for the rest of my life no one could possibly attribute it entirely to random unintended events.
The succession of apparently random unintended, but essential events needed to bring us into existence far exceeds the improbable odds of me winning the national lottery every week.  It offers undeniable evidence for the hand of God being intimately involved throughout time to create and sustain life as we know it.  We are all living proof of God's miraculous work.
You implied that your praying cured someone of an illness. I explained why your reasoning about that was wrong, but you didn’t address that. Why is that?
See above

Maeght

« Reply #48095 on: September 12, 2023, 11:07:30 AM »
You have no way of knowing how likely the events that brought us into existence are.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48096 on: September 12, 2023, 11:22:51 AM »
AB,

I truly believe they are valid arguments.  I can't understand why you say they are not valid.

Why not? I explain to you various logical fallacies and I show you where you’ve fallen into those logical fallacies. Your then routinely ignore the problem.

What’s odd is that at some level I suspect you do have some understanding at least of fallacious reasoning – you wouldn’t for example accept as true claims I made about leprechauns if I justified them with the same fallacies you try to justify your claim “god” because you’d see where my reasoning is wrong. Yet somehow you think the same wrong arguments are legitimate when used to justify your faith beliefs.

Why is that?

I truly believe in the evidence I give.  I can't understand how you can dismiss it.

You haven’t provided any evidence. What you post are claims, but not evidence. It’s all “whats” and no “whys”. Perhaps the problem here is that you don’t understand the difference?

If, say, you asked me to justify with evidence my claim “leprechauns” and I replied, “the existence of rainbows is evidence for leprechauns having somewhere to leave their gold, therefore leprechauns” you’d recognise that as not evidence at all wouldn’t you. And yet your claims to having evidence for “god” are just as wrong.

Can you see why? 

Validation of miracles involves looking at realistic probabilities or improbabilities.

“Validation of miracles” actually involves arriving at a “don’t know” for your explanation of an observed phenomenon, and then diving headlong into “therefore miracle” with no connecting reasoning to get you there. How on earth would you even begin to assign probabilities either to a materialist but unknown explanation, let alone to a (supposed) supernatural event?

I believe that God's miracles come about by intentional manipulation of forces and elements to bring about a desired result.

I know you do, but I don’t know why you believe that and, so far at least, you haven’t provided the valid arguments you claimed to have to tell us.

Any scientific investigation will identify what appear to be "chance" events which just happen to coincide with prayers.

Actually basic logic will tell you that. The plural of anecdote isn’t evidence, which is why you need larger sample sets to arrive at meaningful conclusions.   

[quotye]To explain further:…[/quote]

Oh-oh…

If I won it twice in succession, it may be regarded as perhaps a freak occurrence, but still just attributed to random unintended events.
If I won it every week for the rest of my life no one could possibly attribute it entirely to random unintended events.

1. But that’s a false analogy. If religious types prayed for critically ill people and week after week the prayed for ones recovered and the not prayed for ones died you might have point. That’s not what happens though is it?

2. Actually dumb luck does lead to multiple very unlikely events. Here for example:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/31/harvard-prof-on-odds-of-winning-multiple-lotteries-like-these-people.html

Even a cursory knowledge of statistics will tell you that very unlikely things happen all the time.

The succession of apparently random unintended, but essential events needed to bring us into existence far exceeds the improbable odds of me winning the national lottery every week.  It offers undeniable evidence for the hand of God being intimately involved throughout time to create and sustain life as we know it.  We are all living proof of God's miraculous work.

No, it offers only undeniable evidence that you’re too dim-witted or too dishonest to address your circular reasoning mistake here. I’ve explained it to you several times and each time you’ve ignored the explanation. I’ll do it again if you like, but only if you agree to address it this time – otherwise there’s no point. 

See above

See above.

God

torridon

« Reply #48097 on: September 12, 2023, 01:21:30 PM »

To explain further:
The succession of apparently random unintended, but essential events needed to bring us into existence far exceeds the improbable odds of me winning the national lottery every week.  It offers undeniable evidence for the hand of God being intimately involved throughout time to create and sustain life as we know it.  We are all living proof of God's miraculous work.See above

As usual, your 'explanation' is logically flawed.

If I shuffle a pack of cards and then deal them out to you one after the other, do you exclaim in amazement 'wow that sequence is so improbable, it must be divine intervention !'  Of course you don't, but the probabilties involved are very similar.  The chance of any particular 52 card sequence are 52!, which works out at 1 in 8,065,817,500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.  So that is the probability of that sequence and yet I just dealt it out to you.  Do you think I am God ?  By your 'logic', apparently so.

Alan Burns

« Reply #48098 on: September 12, 2023, 02:08:20 PM »
As usual, your 'explanation' is logically flawed.

If I shuffle a pack of cards and then deal them out to you one after the other, do you exclaim in amazement 'wow that sequence is so improbable, it must be divine intervention !'  Of course you don't, but the probabilties involved are very similar.  The chance of any particular 52 card sequence are 52!, which works out at 1 in 8,065,817,500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.  So that is the probability of that sequence and yet I just dealt it out to you.  Do you think I am God ?  By your 'logic', apparently so.
But we are not talking about a single improbable event.
Bringing life into this universe involved literally billions of very specific but highly improbable events to have occurred in sequence.  The true odds are incalculable.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48099 on: September 12, 2023, 02:12:42 PM »
AB,

Just to add to Torri’s reply, your mistake when looking at fantastically long odds against an event occurring and assuming therefore guidance when it does occur is that your premise and your conclusion are the same thing – ie “god”.

In the deck of cards example (which has fallen on deaf ears when I’ve explained it to you before) no-one is surprised at the dealing of any particular sequence of 52 cards because that sequence wasn’t assumed to be the intended outcome before the deck was dealt. You on the other hand assume that you were the intended outcome a priori because god wanted it that way, and then marvel at the unlikelihood of god’s plan happening by chance – therefore god!

Can you see where you go wrong here? Your “proof” for god requires an intending god ab initio, whereas your existence in a universe indifferent to its outcomes would be no more surprising than a particular sequence of 52 cards appearing from a dealt deck of cards.

To put it another way, imagine that any species of alien possessed of sentience but also of a poor grasp of logic also marvelled at the unlikelihood of its existence and then claimed “therefore alien god” too. Would he be right, or just reasoning incompetently?     

This is such a simple and unanswerable argument (that I’ve explained to you several time before now) that I’m at a loss to know why you ignore it and then make the same mistake once again (“It offers undeniable evidence for the hand of God being intimately involved throughout time to create and sustain life as we know it”).

Do you get it now? 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 02:46:44 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God