Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3748083 times)

ekim

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #48250 on: September 18, 2023, 11:52:58 AM »
I fear for your soul, Stranger, and the souls of all the other non believers on this forum.

So I will continue to use and witness to the God given freedom which I am using to compose this post.
The freedom which allows us to choose Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour..
The freedom which nature alone can never give.
Remember though, Alan, that The Truth will set you free' from belief.  Some children are encouraged to believe in Father Christmas.  Do you believe in him or has evidence gained freed you from that belief.  Are you free to choose Buddha as your Lord and Saviour?  In the spirit of the 'Searching for God' and your claim as a witness it might be better if you gave your description of 'God' and what to search for as it is a vague term and there are about a dozen different Hebrew words in the Bible all translated as 'God'.  Also the word 'soul' needs defining as it is used to translate the Greek word 'psyche' in the New Testament which is now studied by psychologists.   As regards the ability to choose,  this is well evidenced in nature and if somebody banged you over the head with a hammer you would find this 'freedom' severely curtained and natural bodily functions would endeavour to restore that 'freedom'.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #48251 on: September 18, 2023, 04:48:24 PM »
Remember though, Alan, that The Truth will set you free' from belief.  Some children are encouraged to believe in Father Christmas.  Do you believe in him or has evidence gained freed you from that belief.  Are you free to choose Buddha as your Lord and Saviour?  In the spirit of the 'Searching for God' and your claim as a witness it might be better if you gave your description of 'God' and what to search for as it is a vague term and there are about a dozen different Hebrew words in the Bible all translated as 'God'.  Also the word 'soul' needs defining as it is used to translate the Greek word 'psyche' in the New Testament which is now studied by psychologists.   As regards the ability to choose,  this is well evidenced in nature and if somebody banged you over the head with a hammer you would find this 'freedom' severely curtained and natural bodily functions would endeavour to restore that 'freedom'.
The Gospels and New Testament writings clearly indicate that Jesus was God in human form.  (If Shakespeare needed to make himself known to the characters in one of his plays, he would need to write himself into the play.)

So I fully accept Jesus as my Lord and Saviour in preference to the man made attempts to discover God.
The NT also defines the soul clearly as what will he held accountable for our deeds on earth and what will endure after our physical body dies.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Maeght

« Reply #48252 on: September 18, 2023, 05:02:00 PM »
The Gospels and New Testament writings clearly indicate that Jesus was God in human form.  (If Shakespeare needed to make himself known to the characters in one of his plays, he would need to write himself into the play.)

So I fully accept Jesus as my Lord and Saviour in preference to the man made attempts to discover God.
The NT also defines the soul clearly as what will he held accountable for our deeds on earth and what will endure after our physical body dies.

The Gospels reflect the beliefs of the unknown authors and the communities they came from, written years after the events.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 05:56:46 PM by Maeght »

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #48253 on: September 18, 2023, 05:22:04 PM »
The Gospels and New Testament writings clearly indicate that Jesus was God in human form. 
The Qur'an clearly states that the Bible writers got it wrong and that Jesus is not God.
Given that this revelation, from an actual Angel, is more recent than the Bible then it must be correct.

That makes you mistaken.
There is still time for you to take the true path to God via Islam.

Let us know how you get on with that?

The truth will set you free

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #48254 on: September 18, 2023, 05:25:23 PM »

Blind faith in an old book of myths and a rejection of reason and logic. But only the bits of that book you like, eh?

What about not bearing false witness, like claiming you have 'sound logic' when you clearly do not? Or not being a hypocrite, like demanding comprehensive explanations from others and only supplying them with meaningless nonsense, that you continually refuse to clarify, blind faith assertions, and basic mistakes in logic (fallacies)?

You are still clearly terrified of thinking about the subject you raised here too deeply in case you discover the truth...
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Alan Burns

« Reply #48255 on: September 18, 2023, 06:09:04 PM »

You are still clearly terrified of thinking about the subject you raised here too deeply in case you discover the truth...
You imply that my thinking must be hindered by my Christian faith.
I have a very enquiring mind - at the age of 13, two of the first books I borrowed from my first trips to the adult library were Einstein's books on relativity.  I did not follow the maths at the time, but I was fascinated by his illustrations using clocks and trains.

I can assure you that I have thought very deeply about the reality we all exist in, and my thoughts go way beyond the confines of the materialistic model which has gained favour in our increasingly secular society.  I believe our ancestors were much more in touch with reality than the current fashionable short sighted views.

I do not need any form of religious faith to realise that there is more to life than the consequences of unguided material reactions.  Have you ever contemplated the logical impossibility of a single entity of awareness existing within discrete material reactions?  How the concepts of meaning and purpose can emerge from the chaos of an exploding cloud of gas?  How your own ability to think can be defined in materialistic terms?  How the numerous forms of human artistic and imaginative creativity can be generated by unavoidable material reactions to past events?  How the first living cell with all its built in mechanisms for survival came into existence?

I have not discovered anything which conflicts with my Christian faith - indeed my ability to think and question has considerably enhanced my faith.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Stranger

« Reply #48256 on: September 18, 2023, 06:57:18 PM »
You imply that my thinking must be hindered by my Christian faith.

Certainly looks like that.

I can assure you that I have thought very deeply about the reality we all exist in, and my thoughts go way beyond the confines of the materialistic model which has gained favour in our increasingly secular society.

And there it is: "This is difficult to explain, I dunno, it must be magic".

I believe our ancestors were much more in touch with reality than the current fashionable short sighted views.

Baseless assertion of short-sightedness. Why can't you justify your view with evidence or reasoning? Why the endless illogical nonsense, and all the meaningless phrases you totally refuse to clarify?

Have you ever contemplated the logical impossibility of a single entity of awareness existing within discrete material reactions?

It's actually far from clear that there are any "single entities of conscious awareness". For a start, it's a vague phrase. Then there is the fact that there are good reasons to think that the singularity of our awareness is not as it seems.

Finally, and most important of all, it is logically impossible to conclude that something is impossible in the material universe without claiming to be omniscient. This is because we know that we don't know everything about it. The best you could hope to do is conclude that it contradicts what is known. You cannot logically rule out unknown laws of physics. This is what Penrose argued for in The Emperor's New Mind after he concluded there was no way for minds to work within the currently known laws of physics. He didn't convince many people of that, but it neatly illustrates the point that you are making a statement that goes way beyond what you can possibly logically justify.

As it is, you haven't even taken step one here, and even tried too show a contradiction with what is known. I know you've asserted it a lot, but you have produced not the first hint of any reasoning or evidence.

Not one.

How the concepts of meaning and purpose can emerge from the chaos of an exploding cloud of gas?

Daniel Dennett has a very neat explanation for the origin of purpose. I'll try and dig out a reference if you're interested.

How your own ability to think can be defined in materialistic terms?  How the numerous forms of human artistic and imaginative creativity can be generated by unavoidable material reactions to past events?  How the first living cell with all its built in mechanisms for survival came into existence?

Now you're just lapsing into the personal incredulity fallacy. Just because we can't fully explain these things yet, does not justify a conclusion of magic.

Sorry, but it's this level of nonsense that totally undermines your claim to have "thought very deeply" about the subject, or even at all, for that matter. Your idea of "thinking deeply" seems to involve totally ignoring basic logic.

Stranger

« Reply #48257 on: September 18, 2023, 07:58:30 PM »
Have you ever contemplated the logical impossibility of a single entity of awareness existing within discrete material reactions?  How the concepts of meaning and purpose can emerge from the chaos of an exploding cloud of gas?  How your own ability to think can be defined in materialistic terms?  How the numerous forms of human artistic and imaginative creativity can be generated by unavoidable material reactions to past events?  How the first living cell with all its built in mechanisms for survival came into existence?
Finally, and most important of all, it is logically impossible to conclude that something is impossible in the material universe without claiming to be omniscient.

I should perhaps add (although it shouldn't be necessary but you seem to find it confusing) that it is possible to show that something is logically impossible and therefore physically impossible, but that is your dilemma.

If your claims are logically impossible (as appears to be the case from what you've said), then either
  • you accept that you haven't found something that is physically impossible but is possible if you invoke god-magic (souls) and go back to the drawing board, or

• you claim that your god can do the logically impossible (self-contradictory) and could, for example, literally reach down and draw a square circle on the desk in front of me. The big problem with this is that it then becomes impossible to claim reasoning, logic, or evidence has led you to your conclusion because they cannot possible lead you to the logically impossible. You then have to admit that blind, irrational faith is the only way you can believe in your god.
Take your pick.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 08:01:29 PM by Stranger »

torridon

« Reply #48258 on: September 18, 2023, 09:50:16 PM »

I have not discovered anything which conflicts with my Christian faith - indeed my ability to think and question has considerably enhanced my faith.

which is because you are in denial of anything which conflicts with your Christian faith.  Denial is not a healthy state to be in. Much better, imv, is to absorb new findings and grow with them.

Alan Burns

« Reply #48259 on: September 18, 2023, 10:50:47 PM »
which is because you are in denial of anything which conflicts with your Christian faith.  Denial is not a healthy state to be in. Much better, imv, is to absorb new findings and grow with them.
My perception is that atheists are in denial of any evidence which may point to God's existence or their own spiritual nature.

Stranger

« Reply #48260 on: September 18, 2023, 11:14:54 PM »
My perception is that atheists are in denial of any evidence which may point to God's existence or their own spiritual nature.

Try providing some and we'll see.

You haven't done so so far in any of your posts that I've read. In fact you seem terrified of properly considering the evidence in a logical way, even to the extent that you totally refuse to explain your oft repeated phrases that seem to be so crucial to the case in your own mind. Why on earth would you not want to properly explain unless you're afraid and realise, at some level at least, that you're wrong?

Anyway, I've explained in detail where you've been going wrong above (#48256 and #48257), so can avoid your previous mistakes. Off you go...

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #48261 on: September 19, 2023, 12:20:55 PM »
Theophobics, though, would be theists - they're afraid of god.
Should we accept  that theophobes are uniquely theists any more than we should accept that only Homosexuals are homophobic…….,I’m not so sure.
Fear of religion would be religiophobia - and, of course, it would have to be the irrational fear of religion
| hate to break it to you but sometimes God is connected with religion
, not the justifiable fear of its effects.
All it’s effects?
So ‘’a no true atheist’’ argument to start us of.
I have found differing interpretations of theophobia. This source
 https://www.fearof.net/fear-of-the-lord-or-god-phobia-theophobia/
 takes the meaning from a misinterpretation of the biblical term ‘’fear of the Lord’’ which really means respect rather than phobia and doesn’t cover phobic behaviours such as avoidance. This source  interprets theophobia as a distaste of Gods and religion…..at least it’s a definition which doesn’t mistake phobia for a reasoned claim https://wikidiff.com/theophobe/theophobia

Your statement isn’t documented. It is nothing to do with claims or any exercise of rationality so asserting it has is plainly wrong.

That you assert 'god' doesn't make it any more valid a claim than 'blig' - in the absence of that, it holds exactly as little merit as your accusations of 'god dodging'.
But as I said Goddodging is a range of observed phenomena not dependent on reasoned consideration of claims one way or another. The only claim is that a behaviour, attitude or psychology is being demonstrated. There is no claim that God exists.
Sometimes mere mention of the word God sets up a reactive God dodging response
As we know avoidance is a feature of phobia and theophobia is no exception.

Avoidance is a feature of many responses - repugnance, ignorance, boredom, poor personal hygiene... You'd need a little more than 'avoidance' and an unsubstantiated claim to carry the day.
I make no claim here except that God dodging is surely an expression of the distaste for Gods and religion. You conflate though a theist’s stated belief in God with a set of behaviours.

Not to be aware of or deny this possibility in an atheist who is dodging God by acting as though there isn’t is mere immaturity and a special plead at that.

The category error here is that those people who no longer believe are atheists, they are no longer theists. For an atheist to 'god dodge' would be to suggest that they are secretly theists, to suggest that deep down they actually believe but are somehow pretending not to. Which is nonsense.
People can profess atheism and then become theist but pretend not to be, I’ve met people who have declared they have done this. Others have realised they were in denial and it is possible that their subconscious had gone theist before they consciously were. Any denial of these states is, I’m afraid the ‘’No true atheist’’ argument again.
Then of course we have God avoidance as expressed by atheists such as Nagel and Krauss who admit, confronted by the possibility of there being a God, that they do not want there to be a God. Not then a reasoned avoidance more a distaste of God. Nagel saying “I speak from experience, being strongly subject to this fear myself: I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, hope that I’m right in my belief. It’s that I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that. …. t is just as irrational to be influenced in one’s beliefs by the hope that God does not exist as by the hope that God does exist.”

There are also legions of atheists who declare that even if a God were proved they would not commit religiously to him.
I rather think then that that puts the Kibosh on your argument which frankly seemed a bit confused.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 12:24:39 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Maeght

« Reply #48262 on: September 19, 2023, 01:03:56 PM »

Could you explain how Mark clearly indicates this?

Outrider

« Reply #48263 on: September 19, 2023, 01:04:18 PM »
Should we accept  that theophobes are uniquely theists any more than we should accept that only Homosexuals are homophobic…….,I’m not so sure.

Yes, we should. We aren't afraid of things that don't exist, so if you're afraid of gods then you believe in gods. Homosexuals are attracted to the same gender, they don't propose that the opposite gender doesn't exist. In order to fear a god you have to accept the proposition of that god, and are therefore a theist.

| hate to break it to you but sometimes God is connected with religion

The idea of god is associated with religions - but in order to claim that an actual god is associated you'd have to demonstrate that there actually is a god, and that's still not happened.

All it’s effects?

I doubt it, but certainly some of them.

So ‘’a no true atheist’’ argument to start us of.

Not at all. There are no 'true' atheists, there's no creed to adhere to. There are either those who don't believe, for one reason or another, or those who do.

I have found differing interpretations of theophobia. This source  https://www.fearof.net/fear-of-the-lord-or-god-phobia-theophobia/
 takes the meaning from a misinterpretation of the biblical term ‘’fear of the Lord’’ which really means respect rather than phobia and doesn’t cover phobic behaviours such as avoidance. This source  interprets theophobia as a distaste of Gods and religion…..at least it’s a definition which doesn’t mistake phobia for a reasoned claim https://wikidiff.com/theophobe/theophobia

Shall we then differentiate between theophobia (a fear of god) and religiophobia (a fear of religion)? Shall we further accept that you could be rationally afraid of either of these (if you accept the notion of god) and not suffering from a phobia at all?

But as I said Goddodging is a range of observed phenomena not dependent on reasoned consideration of claims one way or another.

You said it, but you've not in any way justified it.

The only claim is that a behaviour, attitude or psychology is being demonstrated. There is no claim that God exists.

Claiming that someone is afraid of god is implicitly founded on the notion that they believe a god exists - if I don't think there's a god, in what way can I fear it?

Sometimes mere mention of the word God sets up a reactive God dodging response

Because people who bring up notions of god in public tend to be the sort of people some of us would rather avoid? That's neither about god (it's about religion) nor about irrational fear (it's more about having better things to do).

I make no claim here except that God dodging is surely an expression of the distaste for Gods and religion.

You lump those together as though they are the same thing, or at least facets of the same thing, and I sort of accept that from your viewpoint they are related to some extent. However you have innumerable religions which are explicitly not related to the god that you think does exist - surely you accept that those religions and your notion of god are discrete concepts? Given that some of them predate Abrahamic religions' reach into the regions in which they emerged they are independent notions.

You conflate though a theist’s stated belief in God with a set of behaviours.

Not so. I don't claim that they are always inextricably linked, but there are identifiable subsets of religious behaviour that are explicitly linked to their belief and for which I have no time whatsoever. The same behaviours can also be shown by the non-religious, or the religious for non-religious reasons.

Take circumcision for example; I see absolutely no reason why this should be seen as an acceptable practice. It's practiced by several Abrahamic sects, as well as by certain cultures, by non-practicing members of groups heavily influenced by religious culture in their region... The religious adherents will, in some cases, claim a divine edict, in others will suggest they are following a cultural practice.

To find this distasteful is neither religiophobic nor theophobic, doesn't require the acceptance of the idea that there is a god...

People can profess atheism and then become theist but pretend not to be, I’ve met people who have declared they have done this.

Anyone who has established a 'presence' within their personal life may be inclined to keep such an idea secret, I suppose, if they feel it would compromise their relationships or status. It doesn't change the fact that, though, that they are no longer atheists.

Others have realised they were in denial and it is possible that their subconscious had gone theist before they consciously were. Any denial of these states is, I’m afraid the ‘’No true atheist’’ argument again.

Again with this notion of a 'true' atheist. Did they believe? No, then they were an atheist. Yes, then they weren't. Did they doubt, where they unsure - then they were perhaps vacillating between the two, or were undecided. It's not that they were or weren't a 'true' atheist, it's that they were or weren't an atheist at all.

Then of course we have God avoidance as expressed by atheists such as Nagel and Krauss who admit, confronted by the possibility of there being a God, that they do not want there to be a God. Not then a reasoned avoidance more a distaste of God.

If someone suggested to me the idea of Hitler, or Stalin, or Pol Pot, or Putin, I'd be against the idea - that's a reasoned avoidance. From the depiction of the Old Testament Abrahamic god, I'd not want that to be the case, either. It's a pernicious, genocidal, vengeful, malignantly horrific depiction of a character; whether the New Testament attempt to soften the edges was successful or not is a matter of opinion, but Christian theology (as I understand it) is that the two are one and the same perfectly moral, all-knowing being, so it's not as though Christianity can disavow itself of the content. That god is a shit-show. Any rational person with no vested interest in the religion being valid would actively want that being to be in charge.

There are also legions of atheists who declare that even if a God were proved they would not commit religiously to him.

I think it's a little more subtle than that. If the god that Christians worship were proven to be true, I still wouldn't accept Christianity - it's an horrific notion. I'd want explanations for the problem of evil, I'd want to something that makes sense regarding what the point of creation is... I'd accept the god if it was proven, but even if god came down and vouched for Christianity I can't see that as an acceptable situation.

I rather think then that that puts the Kibosh on your argument which frankly seemed a bit confused.

Because you've failed to distinguish between rational and irrational fears of gods or religion, and because you've failed to explain how not accepting poor arguments constitutes 'god dodging', you've decided that I'm confused...

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Stranger

« Reply #48264 on: September 19, 2023, 01:13:26 PM »
Then of course we have God avoidance as expressed by atheists such as Nagel and Krauss who admit, confronted by the possibility of there being a God, that they do not want there to be a God. Not then a reasoned avoidance more a distaste of God. Nagel saying “I speak from experience, being strongly subject to this fear myself: I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, hope that I’m right in my belief. It’s that I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that. …. t is just as irrational to be influenced in one’s beliefs by the hope that God does not exist as by the hope that God does exist.”

[citation missing]

Hoping that something is not true is not actually the same as avoiding it, so your phrase "God avoidance" is unjustified.

As for the hope, well it depends on which god one is talking about. If the god as described in the bible were to exist, it would be a horrifying narcissistic psychopath with dissociative identity disorder, given to outbursts of vindictive and cruel behaviour. It is perfectly rational to hope such a being does not exist and is in charge or reality. And, of course, "committing to it religiously" would be next to insanity.

Other gods are available.

torridon

« Reply #48265 on: September 19, 2023, 09:03:52 PM »

Evidence of God's existence is conspicuous by its absence.  If there were any evidence, then we would have 'God Theory' to add to all the other theories in science.  There is no such theory because there is no such evidence.  Your irrational claims about free will are not evidence.

Alan Burns

« Reply #48266 on: September 19, 2023, 10:45:37 PM »
Evidence of God's existence is conspicuous by its absence.  If there were any evidence, then we would have 'God Theory' to add to all the other theories in science.  There is no such theory because there is no such evidence.  Your irrational claims about free will are not evidence.
God made Himself known to us in the form of Jesus Christ.
That is all the evidence I need.

Just a little quoted snippet concerning the resurrection:
In Paul's letters he lists witnesses who have seen the resurrected Jesus.  All those he lists are men.
Yet all gospels cite women as the first to witness the resurrected Jesus.
These women were apparently airbrushed out of Paul's list - most likely because women were not regarded as reliable witnesses.

So if the gospels were deliberately written to invent a feasible resurrection story - the gospel writers would not have cited women as the first witnesses.

(just one of many observations which indicate the authenticity of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus)

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #48267 on: September 20, 2023, 01:21:25 AM »

In Paul's letters he lists witnesses who have seen the resurrected Jesus.  All those he lists are men.
These women were apparently airbrushed out of Paul's list - most likely because women were not regarded as reliable witnesses.

So if the gospels were deliberately written to invent a feasible resurrection story - the gospel writers would not have cited women as the first witnesses.

(just one of many observations which indicate the authenticity of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus)
That might have been all well and good.....until God sent an angel to explain to mankind, through Mohammed, that the interpretation of the Bible by man wasn't quite right.
That has been corrected and you really ought to be finding God through Islam.

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Maeght

« Reply #48268 on: September 20, 2023, 01:27:02 AM »

The Gospel writers were recording stories passed down to them and circulating amongst early Christians. Paul not mentioning the women may reflect his personal attitudes to women rather than the culture of the time or may just be that he hadn't heard that story, maybe because it didn't happen. You can't say he airbrushed them out unless you know they were in the original story. By the time the Gospel writers did their thing the women may have been added into the circulating stories - so not added by the Gospel writers themselves.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 01:43:32 AM by Maeght »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #48269 on: September 20, 2023, 06:47:08 AM »

You don't have evidence, Alan: you have a fantastical story of unknown provenance that is indistinguishable from fiction since you can't exclude human artifice.

Meaningless, Alan: this 'snippet' is a clear example of begging the question and is no more that convenient conjecture.

No - just another set of spurious speculations that attract the chronically credulous.

torridon

« Reply #48270 on: September 20, 2023, 06:49:08 AM »

Likewise the muslim can point to the revelations of Angel Gabriel that supercede the gospel stories, and can say "That is all the evidence I need". You are just setting the bar very low, these are claims, not evidence, they are claims used to justify a faith position, they are not evidence that would stand scrutiny in science or law.  That there is a creator God is an extraordinary claim for which we have no evidence in cosmology, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary levels of evidence.  The reasons why people accept religious beliefs are all to do with social, cultural and psychological values and nothing to do with genuine truth seeking.

Stranger

« Reply #48271 on: September 20, 2023, 08:49:11 AM »

How do you know? All you have is an old, self-contradictory storybook. There may have been some real person the stories are vaguely based on, but as a way for a god to make itself known, it's utterly pathetic. Is that really the best your god could manage?

Then you are incredibly gullible. You must be every scammer's dream.

You said earlier that you had an inquiring mind and thought deeply. When did all that stop? When did you become satisfied with comfortable complacency and blind faith?

I notice that you're still totally ignoring the questions I raised in response. For example, you have still made no attempt to explain the nonsense phrases that you keep using. Where is your inquiring mind when it comes to learning about logical arguments, the avoidance of fallacies, and the meaning of evidence?

It was a very long time ago, when I first started posting online, that I realised that there was a subject to do with presenting logical arguments and fallacies that I knew little about. Unlike you, my immediate response was to go away find out about the subject and learn. Why do you not want to do the same? Where is the inquiring mind now?

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #48272 on: September 21, 2023, 09:08:54 AM »
What do people think of panentheism? Non-sarcastic, leprechaun-free answers would be appreciated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panentheism
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 09:25:40 AM by SteveH »
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #48273 on: September 21, 2023, 09:24:23 AM »
What do people think of panentheism? Non-sarcastic, leprechaun-free answers would be appreciated.)
I certainly find it compatible with my beliefs satisfying as it does God's uniqueness, transcendence and immanent.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #48274 on: September 21, 2023, 09:52:11 AM »
What do people think of panentheism? Non-sarcastic, leprechaun-free answers would be appreciated.
The same way I would feel about discussing Sherlock Holmes' favourite colour. Since I don't believe in the '-theism' part, the 'panen-' part is a pointless curlicue.

I suppose you might take that as sarcastic but it's an attempt to be clear. These sort of differences seem irrelevant to me because of the not believing the god bit.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 10:05:31 AM by Nearly Sane »