Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3747254 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #48700 on: October 16, 2023, 07:28:03 PM »
No corpse was ever found, but there were hundreds of sightings of the risen Jesus.

You mean somebody wrote a story in which hundreds of sightings were claimed. The only first hand record of a sighting that exists is Paul's account of his vision - or possibly hallucination.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Maeght

« Reply #48701 on: October 16, 2023, 07:45:04 PM »
The exponential expansion of the Christian faith (despite intense persecution) after the resurrection would never have happened if it was built upon a lie.  Would the first disciples have sacrificed their lives for the sake of a lie?

You have said this before but never addressed the responses given.

Firstly, there is no evidence of intense persecution of Christians in the early days. Secondly, there is also little evidence that the first disciples sacrificed their lives for the 'the sake of a lie'. Two or three may have been executed but we don't know that were due to their beliefs or for other reasons. Many of the disciples are never heard of again after the death of Jesus and may have lived long, peaceful olives for all we know. Thirdly, they may have been mistaken rather than lying. They may have firmly believed that they had encountered the rising Jesus but may have been wrong. Finally, the gospels were written down decades after the events and what is recorded in them may not have actually happened.

You just seem to accept everything written in the Bible and in Church tradition as being accurate.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #48702 on: October 16, 2023, 09:40:00 PM »
Wow - you really are credulous, and incredibly naive, if that is the best you can do.

That some were prepared to die for their 'cause' may say something about them but it says nothing about the credibility of their cause: were it otherwise then we would be celebrating the sincerity of every suicide bomber? Or is it only Christian martyrs that we should admire?
Suicide bombers deliberately took their own lives along with those of innocent victims.
The Christian martyrs did not choose to die - they were condemned to death for their religious beliefs.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 09:55:43 PM by Alan Burns »
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

« Reply #48703 on: October 16, 2023, 09:47:57 PM »
You have said this before but never addressed the responses given.

Firstly, there is no evidence of intense persecution of Christians in the early days. Secondly, there is also little evidence that the first disciples sacrificed their lives for the 'the sake of a lie'. Two or three may have been executed but we don't know that were due to their beliefs or for other reasons. Many of the disciples are never heard of again after the death of Jesus and may have lived long, peaceful olives for all we know. Thirdly, they may have been mistaken rather than lying. They may have firmly believed that they had encountered the rising Jesus but may have been wrong. Finally, the gospels were written down decades after the events and what is recorded in them may not have actually happened.

Your comments are based on somewhat biased speculation with what I perceive to be the intention of casting doubt on the validity of the scriptures.  My faith is firmly grounded in a personal relationship with my Lord and Saviour.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #48704 on: October 16, 2023, 10:06:06 PM »
Your comments are based on somewhat biased speculation with what I perceive to be the intention of casting doubt on the validity of the scriptures.  My faith is firmly grounded in a personal relationship with my Lord and Saviour.
That reads like a complete non sequitur to the post you replied to.

Outrider

« Reply #48705 on: October 16, 2023, 10:47:59 PM »
It is demonstrated by every thought, word or deed I consciously choose to make of my own free will.

So asserted, not demonstrated.

The materialistic alternative would be that my conscious awareness is merely a window on what has already been determined by the laws of physics and chemistry acting on material elements.

Yes. You say that like it's an argument, but it's just a description. If you want to suggest that's problematic you have to show why, and 'but I don't like the implications' isn't a reason.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #48706 on: October 16, 2023, 10:51:56 PM »
Suicide bombers deliberately took their own lives along with those of innocent victims.
The Christian martyrs did not choose to die - they were condemned to death for their religious beliefs.

So you don't think that suicide bombers were accepting of death in support of their cause? 

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #48707 on: October 16, 2023, 10:55:02 PM »

Since these 'scriptures' have little or no provenance then doubt regarding their validity is the only sensible and reasonable position that makes any sense.

torridon

« Reply #48708 on: October 17, 2023, 06:48:54 AM »
It is demonstrated by every thought, word or deed I consciously choose to make of my own free will.  The materialistic alternative would be that my conscious awareness is merely a window on what has already been determined by the laws of physics and chemistry acting on material elements.

However, every thing you say, do, or write on here does have prior causes that led to those.words  You are just in denial. Were this not the case then your posts on here for instance would be random unintelligble nonsense

Oh, hang on a minute ...

Maeght

« Reply #48709 on: October 17, 2023, 08:41:40 AM »

It isn't speculation. I am pointing out the fact that your claims have no actual supporting evidence for them. They are claims made in the Bible and by church tradition only.  You keep using those claims to support your position so it is legitimate to question the basis of your claims. Because you have a belief in God & Jesus you accept what is written as fact. I don't have that faith and so question that.

Maeght

« Reply #48710 on: October 17, 2023, 08:44:02 AM »

There is little or no evidence for most of Christian martyrs and we have no idea whether those who did die were given the opportunity to recant their faith or if they were actually killed for their beliefs.

I think Peter and Paul sincerely believed and died believing in the risen Jesus. There is a case to be made for a couple of others. Paul talked about a vision. I don't think either Peter or Paul were lying but they believed they had seen the risen Jesus in some form or another. Because they believed they did doesn't mean they did.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 09:42:04 AM by Maeght »

Alan Burns

« Reply #48711 on: October 17, 2023, 08:58:36 AM »
So asserted, not demonstrated.
My ability to consciously assert demonstrates the reality of my gift of free will.
Yes. You say that like it's an argument, but it's just a description. If you want to suggest that's problematic you have to show why, and 'but I don't like the implications' isn't a reason.

It is not that I do not like the implications.
I know that I have conscious control enabled within my conscious awareness.  This is the reality which is denied by any materialistic attempt to explain what comprises my conscious awareness and how it works.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #48712 on: October 17, 2023, 09:00:19 AM »
Vlad,

What method other than reason and evidence would you propose to forge a path from subjective opinion to objective fact?
I'm not sure I am proposing such a path. Whether reason, on it's own, can form a path to what you are terming 'objective fact' I'm not so sure. Reason and science have not always been happy bedfellows vis the multiverse argument and the differences between French philosophical reasoning and British Empiricism.

In any case, since people on this forum have made apparent an atheism shored up by the dispensing of the Principle of sufficient reason, maybe you should be answering the question.

Outrider

« Reply #48713 on: October 17, 2023, 09:04:49 AM »
My ability to consciously assert demonstrates the reality of my gift of free will.

No, you're demonstrating the phenomena that we're all discussing, you're failing in any way to demonstrate that it's causatively because of the underlying features that you posit.

It is not that I do not like the implications.

That's not how it comes across.

I know that I have conscious control enabled within my conscious awareness.

How? How do you 'know'? You believe, quite strongly it seems, but you haven't demonstrated any reason to think that you can justify elevating that belief to a sense of knowledge. You have no basis for your contention other than that you don't like the alternative.

This is the reality which is denied by any materialistic attempt to explain what comprises my conscious awareness and how it works.

Even if you could somehow disprove the current materialistic model, or even all potential materialistic models, that still only leaves your notion as a possibility, it has not validation whatsoever.

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #48714 on: October 17, 2023, 09:12:03 AM »
Nope. Why do you think that being able to assert things means you have free will?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #48715 on: October 17, 2023, 09:14:44 AM »

Your assertions could easily be entirely due to the past (or with some element of randomness), i.e nature, nurture, and experience.

You can't possibly demonstrate that they're not. Stop lying.

I know that I have conscious control enabled within my conscious awareness.

No you don't. You couldn't possibly know. Your certainty could easily be the result of nature, nurture, and your experience up to the moment you typed this.

Still waiting for the "simple logical deduction" you said you had.

Where is it? Were you just lying?
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Alan Burns

« Reply #48716 on: October 17, 2023, 10:06:20 AM »
A very powerful witness - hard to argue with this one
please watch it to the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upTofuSIcVM

Alan Burns

« Reply #48717 on: October 17, 2023, 10:10:56 AM »
So you don't think that suicide bombers were accepting of death in support of their cause?
Just view the link I just gave

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #48718 on: October 17, 2023, 10:25:45 AM »

Conversion stories are two a penny and not confined to Christianity. Its evidential value is zero. Not sure what you meant by watching to the end. The end was a cringe-worthy bit of preaching. Many have been there, prayed the prayer, got nothing, or later found out that they'd been deceiving themselves and escaped.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Outrider

« Reply #48719 on: October 17, 2023, 10:26:25 AM »

Powerful? Someone with a tendency to believe unsubstantiated tales switches which version of an unsubstantiated tale he chooses to claim is true - that's not powerful, that's a cultural milieu away from a psychiatric diagnosis.

If he'd switched from 'djinn giving him messages' to 'speaking for the fae folk' we'd be sectioning him.

O.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48720 on: October 17, 2023, 10:31:57 AM »
Vlad,

I'm not sure I am proposing such a path.

Then why would you expect anyone to take your faith claims seriously?

Whether reason, on it's own, can form a path to what you are terming 'objective fact' I'm not so sure.

Why not? You presumably accept the idea of objective facts. What method then other than the application of reason would you propose to identify them?

Reason and science have not always been happy bedfellows vis the multiverse argument and the differences between French philosophical reasoning and British Empiricism.

Relevance?

In any case, since people on this forum have made apparent an atheism shored up by the dispensing of the Principle of sufficient reason, maybe you should be answering the question.

Gibberish. You’re the one making the faith claims – it’s your job therefore to find justifications for anyone else to take them seriously. 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #48721 on: October 17, 2023, 10:33:31 AM »

Did that - it's nauseating nonsense.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48722 on: October 17, 2023, 10:34:33 AM »
AB,

Why? It's just an anecdote from someone as credulous as you are followed by some mindless preaching. So what? 

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48723 on: October 17, 2023, 10:44:27 AM »
AB,

The exponential expansion of the Christian faith (despite intense persecution) after the resurrection would never have happened if it was built upon a lie.  Would the first disciples have sacrificed their lives for the sake of a lie?

You've tried this wrongheaded thinking several times in the past, and each time been corrected on it. You've consistently just ignored the correction you're given, and have now repeated exactly the same mistake here.

Why such dishonest behaviour? 

God

Outrider

« Reply #48724 on: October 17, 2023, 11:03:33 AM »
The exponential expansion of the Christian faith (despite intense persecution) after the resurrection would never have happened if it was built upon a lie.

You mean like the expansion of Islam (quicker than Christianity, more widely persecuted for some time than the Christians)? Or like the expansion of Hinduism? Or Buddhism? They can't all be true, so it's demonstrable that expansion in the face of persecution is possible built on a faulty premise.

Would the first disciples have sacrificed their lives for the sake of a lie?

If we can trust the stories... because they believed the lie. Being a martyr doesn't give you miraculous lie-detection powers, they are just as fallible as anyone else. One man's saint is another man's delusion fool.

O.