Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3747201 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #48750 on: October 24, 2023, 02:22:35 PM »
Is that "people" all inclusive?
Or more on the lines of "The whole world's gone mad (except me, of course)"?
There are degrees of madness Dicky, in this context your degree of madness depends on number of contributions and repetition of that contribution for example.....Me, mild eccentricity.....certain atheist contributors, sheer and utter swivel eyed ferret box lunacy.

ekim

« Reply #48751 on: October 24, 2023, 03:19:29 PM »

Our freedom to worship God.
Our freedom to ignore God.
Our freedom to seek reasons to deny the need for God.
Our freedom to consciously deduce that such freedom must be an illusion

or should that be:
Our desire to worship God.
Our desire to ignore God.
Our desire to seek reasons to deny the need for God.
Our desire to consciously deduce that such freedom must be an illusion

.... where there is no freedom from desire but there is an intelligent ability to choose between desires?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48752 on: October 24, 2023, 04:13:47 PM »
NS,

It's a point that is a Moebius strip of pointlessness. If we have no free will, what was and is going to happen, leaving aside any randomness, will happen. You can't talk about what the justice system 'should' look like if there is no free will because there is no 'should' if there is no free wil, there simply is what is. Sapolsky is making the same mistake about levels, and switching between those levels as if it makes no difference. In day to day discussion, the idea that we have no free will is as relevant as the idea that the universe might be just a part of an atom in a giant's fingernail, and that there might be universes in the atoms that make up us.

It's the sort of thing that needs a lot of dope and adolescence to be anything more than a deepity on a day to day basis.

He’s not nearly as prescriptive as “should bes” at all. Rather he seems to me to more predictive than prescriptive. He suggests by analogy that, just as the most logically sensible explanation for epilepsy was once consorting with the devil so, in time, we’ll lose the retribution model of criminal justice and instead move to something more like quarantining people with infectious diseases. That is, we’ll likely abandon the blame part but still have processes to protect society from people who’ve just had the dumb bad luck to be criminals.

I find that persuasive – and maybe a necessary concomitant of concluding that “free” will is illusory.

In any case, here’s today’s Guardian review of his book and two links to interesting conversations by him about his findings and ideas:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/oct/24/determined-life-without-free-will-by-robert-sapolsky-review-the-hard-science-of-decisions

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/robert-sapolsky-i-dont-think-we-have-any-free-will-whatsoever/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pup-XSH98o
"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48753 on: October 24, 2023, 04:14:52 PM »
Vlad,

I have exactly the same faculty for objective facts as you Hillside.

Not true. You assert (your choice of a) god to be an objective fact, but your justifying arguments for that claim are shit.

What I don't share with you is your belief AKA faith claim…

Not true. I can justify my beliefs with reason and evidence. Faith is what you need when you have none or insufficient of these things.

…that the rounded human being is defined merely by the acquisition and retention of objective facts.

Straw man. I don’t know what you mean by “the rounded human being” but in any case I’ve never suggested any such thing

That belief is shared by Pinker and if he disagrees at any point with your belief then that is probably merely his belief and it is the discussion of Pinker's belief you have deliberately distracted us from.

Gibberish. If you think that Pinker has made an argument that’s relevant, tell us what it is. Just making false claims about what I think though dishonest.

Didn’t Jesus have something to say about bearing false witness?

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48754 on: October 24, 2023, 04:16:58 PM »
AB,

Thanks for giving me another opportunity to witness to the reality of our gift of free will.   

Finally! Very welcome that will be too after all your ducking and diving hitherto – assuming of course that by “witness” you actually mean something like, “make a justifying argument that isn’t shit”.

Go for it!...

So how do we give credence to whatever…

Aw no – you fell at the very first hurdle. Again. Say it ain’t so AB!

Yet again: if you seriously believe your (incoherent and logically impossible) version of "free" will to be accurate then, finally, make an argument for it instead of eructating the same old stupid assertions, shifting the burden of proof, privileging your subjective opinions of verifiably objective facts etc. You know – actually make the sound argument you claimed to have but for some reason insist on keeping secret.     

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #48755 on: October 24, 2023, 04:40:41 PM »
NS,

He’s not nearly as prescriptive as “should bes” at all. Rather he seems to me to more predictive than prescriptive. He suggests by analogy that, just as the most logically sensible explanation for epilepsy was once consorting with the devil so, in time, we’ll lose the retribution model of criminal justice and instead move to something more like quarantining people with infectious diseases. That is, we’ll likely abandon the blame part but still have processes to protect society from people who’ve just had the dumb bad luck to be criminals.

I find that persuasive – and maybe a necessary concomitant of concluding that “free” will is illusory.

In any case, here’s today’s Guardian review of his book and two links to interesting conversations by him about his findings and ideas:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/oct/24/determined-life-without-free-will-by-robert-sapolsky-review-the-hard-science-of-decisions

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/robert-sapolsky-i-dont-think-we-have-any-free-will-whatsoever/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pup-XSH98o

If we do, it will have had fuck all to do with anything he's said. What's the difference in between 'quarantine' and prison here? And given he's not interested, according to yoh, in 'shoulds', why would it matter?

For a more interesting take, from sometime ago read Butler's Erewhon.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48756 on: October 24, 2023, 04:54:19 PM »
NS,

If we do, it will have had fuck all to do with anything he's said.

Again, he not suggesting that his ideas will bring that about – just that it's likely to happen. 

What's the difference in between 'quarantine' and prison here?

A big difference. We don't for example subject people in quarantine to the same denial of various rights and privileges that we deny to convicts. Already some societies have moved in that direction – the mass murderer Anders Brevik for example "had access to three cells – one for living, one for studying, and a third for physical exercise – as well as a television, a computer without internet access and a games console, and that he was able to prepare his own food and do his own laundry."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/02/norway-rejects-anders-breivik-inhuman-prison-conditions-claim#:~:text=The%20document%20said%20Breivik%20had,and%20do%20his%20own%20laundry.

And given he's not interested, according to yoh, in 'shoulds', why would it matter?

Presumably it would matter a great deal to the "quarantined" people who were treated more compassionately than had they been treated as criminal inmates.   

For a more interesting take, from sometime ago read Butler's Erewhon.

OK.

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #48757 on: October 24, 2023, 05:08:39 PM »
NS,

Again, he not suggesting that his ideas will bring that about – just that it's likely to happen. 

A big difference. We don't for example subject people in quarantine to the same denial of various rights and privileges that we deny to convicts. Already some societies have moved in that direction – the mass murderer Anders Brevik for example "had access to three cells – one for living, one for studying, and a third for physical exercise – as well as a television, a computer without internet access and a games console, and that he was able to prepare his own food and do his own laundry."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/02/norway-rejects-anders-breivik-inhuman-prison-conditions-claim#:~:text=The%20document%20said%20Breivik%20had,and%20do%20his%20own%20laundry.

Presumably it would matter a great deal to the "quarantined" people who were treated more compassionately than had they been treated as criminal inmates.   

OK.

Do you think that your idea of quarantine is better than prison? If so why?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48758 on: October 24, 2023, 05:35:51 PM »
NS,

Do you think that your idea of quarantine is better than prison?

Yes.

If so why?

For the reason I explained – because the punishment/retribution element is removed which, in practical effect, mean those concerned would have access to facilities that would otherwise be denied to them (better quality environments, more room, TV, internet, educational opportunities, visitation rights and, importantly, absence of stigma etc).

If you were unfortunate enough be banged up, would you prefer to be held in, say, Wormwood Scrubs or in Brevik's set up? Why?     

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #48759 on: October 24, 2023, 05:52:58 PM »
NS,

Yes.

For the reason I explained – because the punishment/retribution element is removed which, in practical effect, mean those concerned would have access to facilities that would otherwise be denied to them (better quality environments, more room, TV, internet, educational opportunities, visitation rights and, importantly, absence of stigma etc).

If you were unfortunate enough be banged up, would you prefer to be held in, say, Wormwood Scrubs or in Brevik's set up? Why?   
  But on the level of no free will, then your reason is meaningless. Better is meaningless,. There's just stuff that happens.
Why would you give Brievik something that you think would make him happy, but deny what might make a relative of someone murdered by him happy e.g. the death penalty if your reason for choosing something is what someone wants.

I'd rather not be in your quarantine Scrubs at all. I'd rather be rewarded for raping and murdering your wife. Why won't you give me a new house for doing so? After all it's what I want.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 05:58:50 PM by Nearly Sane »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48760 on: October 24, 2023, 06:07:45 PM »
NS,

But on the level of no free will, then your reason is meaningless. Better is meaningless,. There's just stuff that happens.

Yes there is, but that doesn’t mean that some of us can’t prefer more compassionate and humane stuff when “free” will is illusory than applies in the blame and retribution model that relies for its justification on actual “free” will.

Why would you gove Brievik something that you think would make him happy, but deny what might make a relative of someone murdered by him happy e.g. the death penalty if your reason for choosing something is what someone wants.

The denial of rights here (ie, to life vs to a preferred punishment) are not equivalent.

I'd rather not be in your quarantine Scrubs at all. I'd rather be rewarded for raping and murdering your wife. Why won't you give me a new house for doing so? After all it's what I want.

Because what you want (just as what a quarantined person might want) isn’t consistent with the protection of the larger society. That’s why we have quarantine at all – not because the quarantined person is to blame in any way but because it protects society.

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #48761 on: October 24, 2023, 06:15:46 PM »
NS,

Yes there is, but that doesn’t mean that some of us can’t prefer more compassionate and humane stuff when “free” will is illusory than applies in the blame and retribution model that relies for its justification on actual “free” will.

The denial of rights here (ie, to life vs to a preferred punishment) are not equivalent.

Because what you want (just as what a quarantined person might want) isn’t consistent with the protection of the larger society. That’s why we have quarantine at all – not because the quarantined person is to blame in any way but because it protects society.

What you prefer isn't a reason if there is no free will on the level we're talking about.

That you say something is not equivalent is just your programmed assertion. My programmed assertion is you are wrong.

You want to 'protect larger society' because you want that and define it as that. I don't. So we're stuck in a worthless discourse.

And all because you've mixed up your levels of discussion.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 06:20:04 PM by Nearly Sane »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48762 on: October 24, 2023, 09:01:19 PM »
NS,

What you prefer isn't a reason if there is no free will on the level we're talking about.

If by “the level we’re talking about” you mean the colloquial but essentially illusory use of “free” will then yes it is. It’s my reason – and I could probably justify it too as being in my enlightened self-interest.

If on the other hand you mean the level of a solely deterministic paradigm, there are “reasons” aplenty in terms of the causal prior events, but there’s no “I” in the sense of a ghost in the machine with agency as AB for example fondly imagines there to be. 

That you say something is not equivalent is just your programmed assertion. My programmed assertion is you are wrong.

So?

You want to 'protect larger society' because you want that and define it as that. I don't. So we're stuck in a worthless discourse.

No we’re not. If enough people are “programmed” to agree with me (or rather with Sapolsky) such that his prediction eventually happens, the lived experiences of a future number of convicts/quarantined people will be less disobliging for then than would otherwise be the case. That doesn’t seem worthless to me.     

And all because you've mixed up your levels of discussion.

Nope. I’ve been quite clear about the difference between the (likely) actual nature of “free” will and the everyday, colloquial version of it we all use whether or not we know it to be essentially a fiction. 

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #48763 on: October 24, 2023, 11:04:06 PM »
Vlad,

Not true. You assert (your choice of a) god to be an objective fact, but your justifying arguments for that claim are shit.
No, your arguments are shit. On one hand you are down as saying I make no arguments and on the other hand some strange how those arguments I haven't made are shit. I believe that God is a fact, I cannot demonstrate that empirically, and there is a reason for that but I have reasonable argument unlike you since you are prepared to suspend the principle of sufficient reason to shore up your brand of atheism. You as an agnostic Do not know whether or not there is a God.

Not true. I can justify my beliefs with reason and evidence.
If you believe that then you are more deluded than I took you for.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 11:07:10 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

torridon

« Reply #48764 on: October 25, 2023, 07:29:53 AM »

Our freedom to worship God.
Our freedom to ignore God.
Our freedom to seek reasons to deny the need for God.
Our freedom to consciously deduce that such freedom must be an illusion

'Freedom' means freedom from some sort of oppression or coercion.  So if you live in a liberal democracy you may say you are free to worship as you wish; but if you live in an authoritarian theocracy, then you do not have the freedom to worship as you wish.  These would be reasonable and meaningful statements to make.  Your use of 'freedom' says nothing meaningful or useful, as in all the examples you quote, we are doing exactly what we want, and there is nothing to be free from.  You might as well claim that God gave dogs the wonderful freedom to bark or snakes the freedom to slither.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 07:10:21 PM by torridon »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48765 on: October 25, 2023, 10:23:00 AM »
Vlad,

No, your arguments are shit.

That may or may not be true, but as you’ve never been able to demonstrate that claim those arguments stand nonetheless

On one hand you are down as saying I make no arguments…

Yes, you frequently run away when you run out of road. You even run way when I ask you why you won’t address the problem you’ve given yourself.

… and on the other hand some strange how those arguments I haven't made are shit.

The arguments you do sometimes attempt are essentially Poundland William Lane Craig knock offs and they are shit for the reasons that are given to you and that you’re unable to rebut.

I believe that God is a fact, I cannot demonstrate that empirically,…

And nor by any other means but ok…

…and there is a reason for that…

I know – it’s because you’re just making epistemically worthless guesses.

… but I have reasonable argument…

None that you’ve been able to produce here though.

…unlike you since you are prepared to suspend the principle of sufficient reason to shore up your brand of atheism.

The “principle of sufficient reason” is a shit argument because it just relocates the question but doesn’t answer it. This is another rebuttal you always run away from.

You as an agnostic Do not know whether or not there is a God.

Yes. Same goes for leprechauns too. So?

If you believe that then you are more deluded than I took you for.

I believe it because I actually make those arguments. You on the other hand…

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #48766 on: October 25, 2023, 02:31:02 PM »
Vlad,

That may or may not be true, but as you’ve never been able to demonstrate that claim those arguments stand nonetheless

Yes, you frequently run away when you run out of road. You even run way when I ask you why you won’t address the problem you’ve given yourself.

The arguments you do sometimes attempt are essentially Poundland William Lane Craig knock offs and they are shit for the reasons that are given to you and that you’re unable to rebut.

Still confusing the kalam cosmological argument with the argument from contingency I see....As the Lord Dawkins did so did his disciple.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #48767 on: October 25, 2023, 02:48:34 PM »
Vlad,

Yes. Same goes for leprechauns too. So?

Thank you sir, So that's a horses laugh fallacy and a category fuck.......That comes to 21 guineas 4 shillings and sixpence. Would Sir like those gift wrapped?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48768 on: October 25, 2023, 04:12:37 PM »
Vlad,

Still confusing the kalam cosmological argument with the argument from contingency I see....As the Lord Dawkins did so did his disciple.

Wrong again. Both relocate the problem but don’t answer it, and both collapse into “cos God’s magic inne?” when they run out of argument.

Thank you sir, So that's a horses laugh fallacy…

No it isn’t – it’s the reductio ad absurdum argument, which is a different thing. I’ve explained your mistake here to you often in the past but you’ve always run away when I’ve done it.

…and a category fuck.......

No it isn’t – a category “fuck” is the error of assigning to something a property which can only properly be assigned to things of another category. In this case there's just one category of things that are believed to be true for bad reasons (ie god and leprechauns), so there’s no category error.

I’ve explained your mistake here to you often in the past too but you’ve also always run away when I’ve done it.

That comes to 21 guineas 4 shillings and sixpence. Would Sir like those gift wrapped?

“The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias[2] in which people with limited competence in a particular domain overestimate their abilities.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

My advice? If you're going to turn up to a gun fight, next time don't bring a water pistol.

God

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #48769 on: October 25, 2023, 04:32:50 PM »
NS,

If by “the level we’re talking about” you mean the colloquial but essentially illusory use of “free” will then yes it is. It’s my reason – and I could probably justify it too as being in my enlightened self-interest.

If on the other hand you mean the level of a solely deterministic paradigm, there are “reasons” aplenty in terms of the causal prior events, but there’s no “I” in the sense of a ghost in the machine with agency as AB for example fondly imagines there to be. 

So?

No we’re not. If enough people are “programmed” to agree with me (or rather with Sapolsky) such that his prediction eventually happens, the lived experiences of a future number of convicts/quarantined people will be less disobliging for then than would otherwise be the case. That doesn’t seem worthless to me.     

Nope. I’ve been quite clear about the difference between the (likely) actual nature of “free” will and the everyday, colloquial version of it we all use whether or not we know it to be essentially a fiction.

Hi blue
I'm finding these exchanges between you and NS some of the most interesting I've seen here for some time, and I admit to being perplexed as to how any legal system, to name but one aspect of society, could function without some concept of mens rea. I don't envy the task of any social reformers committed to the philosophy of determinism 'in the depths of their being' trying to rebuild the legal system from the bottom up along the principles you advocate, nor indeed what kind of literature we might have that didn't have some concept of the good guys and the bad guys, and the concomitant sense of relief when 'good' triumphs and a sense of tragic grief when the reverse is true.
NS mentioned Samuel Butler's Erewhon earlier as an illustration of how a very different society might deal with matters of right and wrong. I don't remember much of the book - a re-read is needed - but I do remember being confused as to how much was a satire on his own society, or whether some might be thought experiments into the area of science fiction to imagine people with vastly different concepts on how to organise society. His idea that criminals should be treated as being ill and given medical treatment does have resonances with your own comments, but just what he was getting at when he wrote of of people who were ill (bodily ill, presumably) being treated as criminals, and ultimately lined up for execution, has led some to think he might be thinking that eugenics had something of value in it. Conversely, he might have been satirising the whole idea. Bernard Shaw had some odd ideas about criminality, too, and he likewise might have had his tongue firmly in his cheek when he suggested that incorrigible perpetual criminal offenders should be quietly taken away and shot.

I wait further exchanges between NS and yourself with interest.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #48770 on: October 25, 2023, 04:57:28 PM »
Hi blue
I'm finding these exchanges between you and NS some of the most interesting I've seen here for some time, and I admit to being perplexed as to how any legal system, to name but one aspect of society, could function without some concept of mens rea. I don't envy the task of any social reformers committed to the philosophy of determinism 'in the depths of their being' trying to rebuild the legal system from the bottom up along the principles you advocate, nor indeed what kind of literature we might have that didn't have some concept of the good guys and the bad guys, and the concomitant sense of relief when 'good' triumphs and a sense of tragic grief when the reverse is true.
NS mentioned Samuel Butler's Erewhon earlier as an illustration of how a very different society might deal with matters of right and wrong. I don't remember much of the book - a re-read is needed - but I do remember being confused as to how much was a satire on his own society, or whether some might be thought experiments into the area of science fiction to imagine people with vastly different concepts on how to organise society. His idea that criminals should be treated as being ill and given medical treatment does have resonances with your own comments, but just what he was getting at when he wrote of of people who were ill (bodily ill, presumably) being treated as criminals, and ultimately lined up for execution, has led some to think he might be thinking that eugenics had something of value in it. Conversely, he might have been satirising the whole idea. Bernard Shaw had some odd ideas about criminality, too, and he likewise might have had his tongue firmly in his cheek when he suggested that incorrigible perpetual criminal offenders should be quietly taken away and shot.

I wait further exchanges between NS and yourself with interest.
I check in and out on the ideas on free will. At base I find it a fairly pointless discussion because I can't see any way of it affecting how we discuss things on a day to day basis. If not having free will is included in any discussion about shoulds, or motivation, or reasoning, then it immediately invalidates the discussion because all of those are based on the fiction/illusion of free will whatever you want to call it.

As the classic quote goes 'Of course I beleve in free will. I have no choice.'

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48771 on: October 26, 2023, 01:45:41 PM »
Hi Dicky,

Well perhaps, but there are clues that the idea already has a foothold at least in some areas of public life. Some universities for example practice “positive action” to redress barriers to entry due to life circumstances – a set of B grades at “A” level from a sink comprehensive in a deprived neighbourhood can indicate better academic aptitude than A grades from the public school system, and so that’s reflected in the entry criteria. It seems to me that the same basic principle could also apply in mirror image – for ““A” level grades” read “crimes committed” and then consider the reverse incidence of disadvantaged young people vs public school educated people in that set. Why in other words would the factors that influence choices and opportunities about studying for exams not also apply to committing crime – and thus be taken into account by the courts as well as by universities?

Children who witness domestic abuse, drug taking, street crime etc can suffer PTSD as strongly as that experienced by war veterans (Sapolsky says), and moreover consequently they’re much more likely to be represented in the stats for teen pregnancies, drug and alcohol addiction, prison populations etc. Should the judicial system treat all people as making equally unfettered choices about undertaking crime, or should there be something in the judicial system akin to positive action in the academic system that recognises that not all people start from the same place? As I understanding it a war vet before a US court would have his PTSD taken into account as a mitigating factor, so why not a kid from the Projects also with PTSD?

Some of the Scandinavian penal systems have already gone some way along this path too – they treat convicts as people to be remediated and rehabilitated rather than to be punished, and have lower recidivism rates than ours as the result. 

I thought it was a satire – akin to Swift’s A Modest Proposal. In any case though, to get back to “free” will: the point of difference between NS and me I think is that he sees the conversation as pointless because in the deterministic paradigm what will be will be so there’s no point in bothering with it – all we can do is to take meaning and significance from the “as if”, colloquial “free” will we seem to experience and that’s the end of it.

I’m not so sure about that. Notwithstanding the deterministic model, there’s still an experiential “me” that thinks it feels love and pleasure as well as pain and irritation etc and, free choice or not, that “me” would prefer more of the first two and less of the second two. No doubt NS would tell me I’m confusing my categories here, but the same would apply I think to a SIMS game character governed by algorithms of sufficient complexity to make it think it experiences love and pain too. In other words, knowledge of the deterministic reality does not for one moment diminish the pleasure the experiential “me” felt yesterday when my daughter told me she’s expecting her first child.     

I see no contradiction between finding life to be both essentially meaningless and also sometimes wonderful.     
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 06:58:28 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

torridon

« Reply #48772 on: October 26, 2023, 07:59:47 PM »
In other words, knowledge of the deterministic reality does not for one moment diminish the pleasure the experiential “me” felt yesterday when my daughter told me she’s expecting her first child.     

Congrats Grandpa Blue,  :D

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #48773 on: October 26, 2023, 08:24:28 PM »
  And so say all of us!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 08:40:14 PM by Nearly Sane »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #48774 on: October 26, 2023, 09:19:24 PM »

And so say all of us!

Aw guys - thank you. Early days yet, but Mrs Blue and I are thrilled.

God