Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3741914 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #49425 on: January 22, 2024, 10:22:56 AM »
AB,

Your ability to reach a "'don't know for sure" position requires the conscious control which is denied by the materialist views on this forum.

No it doesn't.

My absolute certainty lies at the most fundamental point of my existence - my freedom to think.

When "you're absolutely" certain about something then no reasoning can be allowed to falsify you, no matter how sound it may be. And that's called blind faith.

Is that really the corner into which you want to paint yourself? 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #49426 on: January 22, 2024, 10:26:52 AM »
AB,

What would it take for you to admit that you can only type your assertions because invisible pixies are holding you down with very thin strings?

Look, this is very simple: if you think you can rely on unsound reasoning to justify your claim “souls”, then you cannot deny to me exactly the same unsound reasoning to justify my claim “gravity pixies”.

If you had the first inkling of what sound reasoning actually looks like you’d know why this is. Why won’t you try at least to find out how sound reasoning works?   
You have yet to convince me how sound reasoning can be achieved without the ability to consciously control and direct your own thoughts.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #49427 on: January 22, 2024, 10:27:35 AM »
This post reeks of wanting to be shown gratitude for the freedoms others enjoy.
You've got this bit of replying to posts without understanding the context in which they were made.

Secular societies such as atheistic totalitarian states can be just as oppressive as theocratic totalitarian States.

For somebody who likes using big words, you sure seem to have a poor grasp of reading comprehension.

A secular society is one in which an individual's religion does not matter to the state. An atheistic totalitarian state - by which I assume you mean one that actively oppresses religion - is not a secular society.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #49428 on: January 22, 2024, 10:35:04 AM »
This looks suspiciously like the "No true Scotsman" fallacy.

The "no true Scotsman" fallacy does not apply if you exclude an example because it doesn't meet the original definition.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49429 on: January 22, 2024, 10:36:04 AM »
AB,

You have yet to convince me how sound reasoning can be achieved without the ability to consciously control and direct your own thoughts.

You've yet to convince me of how you can sit there typing nonsense without invisible gravity pixies holding you down with very thin strings.

Can you even begin to comprehend why not being convinced by an incomplete explanation provides you with no support whatsoever for a different (and logically impossible) one?

Stop running away from the arguments that are undoing you and at least try to engage with them instead. 

God

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #49430 on: January 22, 2024, 10:38:42 AM »
Similarly we know our souls exist

No we don't.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #49431 on: January 22, 2024, 10:43:13 AM »
I do not need a degree in neurology
So you agree you are arguing from a position of ignorance.... :)

to realise that the freedom we all enjoy as human beings cannot be determined from material reactions alone.
Why not? All you've given us is you "know". How do you know? You don't know, you just have a belief that you have arrived at because you want it to be true. You can't change your mind or even question it.

Sounds like you have no free will lbut are a slave to your preconceived beliefs.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 10:31:02 AM by jeremyp »

Outrider

« Reply #49432 on: January 22, 2024, 04:50:43 PM »
How would you initiate and process such an investigation if you did not have the freedom to consciously control and direct your own thoughts?

Exactly as we have - following the evidence, inferring consequences from the assumption of possibilities and testing them. Our thought processes remain the phenomenon they are, and retain the capacity we've already demonstrated - that is not, of itself, evidence one way or the other.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Alan Burns

« Reply #49433 on: January 22, 2024, 05:21:27 PM »
AB,

You've yet to convince me of how you can sit there typing nonsense without invisible gravity pixies holding you down with very thin strings.

Can you even begin to comprehend why not being convinced by an incomplete explanation provides you with no support whatsoever for a different (and logically impossible) one?

Stop running away from the arguments that are undoing you and at least try to engage with them instead.
The logical impossibility is the ability to apply logic without the need for conscious control.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Alan Burns

« Reply #49434 on: January 22, 2024, 05:30:11 PM »
Exactly as we have - following the evidence, inferring consequences from the assumption of possibilities and testing them.
Can you do this while you are unconscious?
Can you not see the necessity of conscious control to perform these mental tasks successfully?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49435 on: January 22, 2024, 05:32:29 PM »
AB,

The logical impossibility is the ability to apply logic without the need for conscious control.

That's not an argument for a logical impossibility at all – it's just an unqualified assertion with no reasoning of any sort to justify it. In any case though, even if we agree that it's as close as you're likely to get to an argument, that argument isn't sound (in this case because it's just an argument by assertion). 

No matter how many times you stamp your foot and repeat the same idiocy of "to make argument I must be controlling my thoughts" that's still false (or no) reasoning so the claim fails on its face. In short: the argument should precede the conclusion, not the other way around.

Try to grasp this, and then to remember it the next time you're tempted to make the same mistake.   
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 05:50:35 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #49436 on: January 22, 2024, 05:50:30 PM »
AB,

That's not an argument for a logical impossibility at all – it's just an unqualified assertion with no reasoning of any sort to justify it. In any case though, even if we agree that it's as close as you're likely to get to an argument, that argument isn't sound (in this case because it's just an argument by assertion). 

No matter how many times you stamp your foot and repeat the same idiocy of "to make argument I must be controlling my thoughts" that's still false (or no) reasoning so the claim fails on its face. In short: the argument precedes the conclusion, not the other way around.

Try to grasp this, and then to remember it the next time you're tempted to make the same mistake.
So what means did you employ to discern that conscious control of our thoughts must be a logical impossibility?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49437 on: January 22, 2024, 05:51:45 PM »
AB,

So what means did you employ to discern that conscious control of our thoughts must be a logical impossibility?

Cogent reasoning. You should try it. 

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #49438 on: January 22, 2024, 05:54:27 PM »
AB,

Cogent reasoning. You should try it.
What directs the cogent reasoning?
What tests its cogency?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #49439 on: January 22, 2024, 07:10:07 PM »
What tests its cogency?

Brains, Alan.

Alan Burns

« Reply #49440 on: January 22, 2024, 07:11:06 PM »
Secular society is not about selfishness but is about a fairer society for all.
I would hesitate to put my faith in human nature without God's guidance.
Before Christianity came along, the most advanced civilisation in the world were entertained by watching human beings get slaughtered in an arena.
I put it to you that without the profound influence of Christianity, our world as a whole would not have the desire for fairness we see today.

Maeght

« Reply #49441 on: January 22, 2024, 07:18:10 PM »
Before Christianity came along, the most advanced civilisation in the world were entertained by watching human beings get slaughtered in an arena.
I put it to you that without the profound influence of Christianity, our world as a whole would not have the desire for fairness we see today.

There are examples of such behaviour throughout history. Religious belief has in some instances acted to reduce such tendencies but in other cases have been the driving force and excuse for barbaric behaviour. I have more faith in the human nature of the majority of people - the empathy most people feel for other human beings, the wish to do no harm to others - and it is sad that you don't.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #49442 on: January 22, 2024, 07:28:25 PM »

Ever heard of the Spanish Inquisition? Ever heard of religious persecution between Christians? 

I put it to you that you're over-egging the Christian pudding, again.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #49443 on: January 22, 2024, 08:35:20 PM »
Ever heard of the Spanish Inquisition? Ever heard of religious persecution between Christians? 

I put it to you that you're over-egging the Christian pudding, again.
Spanish Inquisition? Good job that ended, nothing bad happened ever again.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49444 on: January 22, 2024, 08:45:01 PM »
AB,

What makes you think it needs to be “directed”?

What tests its cogency?

Real world experience.

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49445 on: January 22, 2024, 08:55:04 PM »
AB,

That should be “..without my faith belief in god’s guidance”. You’ve offered no sound reasoning to justify your assertion that there is a god, let alone your one specifically.

Not true, and how are you defining “advanced” here in any case?

And I put it to you that without Christianity (and any other religious faiths) a world build on the principles of Aristotle, Spinoza and Einstein instead would be much fairer than the one we have now.

God

torridon

« Reply #49446 on: January 22, 2024, 09:34:45 PM »
Can you do this while you are unconscious?
Can you not see the necessity of conscious control to perform these mental tasks successfully?

Clearly you need to be conscious in order to engage in any abstract reasoning.

That doesn't distract from the fact that conscious experience itself is a product of non-conscious mental processes.  This has been explained dozens of times on this thread and you still don't get the distinction ?

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #49447 on: January 22, 2024, 10:10:23 PM »
It is a logical impossibility for a soul as you describe it to exist.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Alan Burns

« Reply #49448 on: January 22, 2024, 11:05:47 PM »
Clearly you need to be conscious in order to engage in any abstract reasoning.

That doesn't distract from the fact that conscious experience itself is a product of non-conscious mental processes.  This has been explained dozens of times on this thread and you still don't get the distinction ?
Your "explanation" is pure speculation in an attempt to shoe horn all our human abilities to fit in with materialistic thinking.

The explanations fail to convince how non conscious brain activity can possibly initiate and guide thought processes to perform reasoned arguments to arrive at validated conclusions which somehow pop into your conscious awareness.  We do not just experience the processing of reasoned arguments, we purposely guide the contents of our conscious awareness and memory to reach consciously chosen goals.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 11:13:52 PM by Alan Burns »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #49449 on: January 23, 2024, 07:17:56 AM »
Your "explanation" is pure speculation in an attempt to shoe horn all our human abilities to fit in with materialistic thinking.

The explanations fail to convince how non conscious brain activity can possibly initiate and guide thought processes to perform reasoned arguments to arrive at validated conclusions which somehow pop into your conscious awareness.  We do not just experience the processing of reasoned arguments, we purposely guide the contents of our conscious awareness and memory to reach consciously chosen goals.

Hopeless - rather than say 'I don't know' you prefer the panacea of superstitious nonsense.

If Christianity can do this to you then thank 'God' I'm not, and never have been, a Christian (or a theist of any stripe).