Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3740395 times)

torridon

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #49725 on: April 02, 2024, 08:47:17 PM »
The extraordinary evidence lies in the amazing growth of the early Christian faith despite intense  persecution from both the Roman rulers and the Jewish hierarchy.  Without firm evidence of the resurrection there could be no justification for world changing events based upon the brief life of the son of a carpenter who was executed under the authority of both Rome and Jews.

So, on that basis, and given the even faster spread of Islam through the seventh and eighth centuries, I presume you believe that Prophet Muhammad rode a winged horse through the heavens from Mecca to Jerusalem meeting various prophets along the way before returning at dawn.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 06:41:23 AM by torridon »

Maeght

« Reply #49726 on: April 02, 2024, 09:10:53 PM »
The extraordinary evidence lies in the amazing growth of the early Christian faith despite intense  persecution from both the Roman rulers and the Jewish hierarchy.  Without firm evidence of the resurrection there could be no justification for world changing events based upon the brief life of the son of a carpenter who was executed under the authority of both Rome and Jews.

Should say 'Without a belief in the resurrection' rather than 'Without firm evidence of the resurrection'. People believing something and doing things as a result of those beliefs doesn't mean the beliefs are true. This has been pointed out many times before though and I doubt you will acknowledge it.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #49727 on: April 02, 2024, 11:11:17 PM »
So, on that basis, and given the even faster spread of Islam through the seven century and eighth centuries, I presume you believe that Prophet Muhammad rode a winged horse through the heavens from Mecca to Jerusalem meeting various prophets along the way before returning at dawn.
Muhammad would not have been able to jump on the bandwagon of existing Christian faith without the impetus of the resurrection.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #49728 on: April 02, 2024, 11:26:13 PM »
Muhammad would not have been able to jump on the bandwagon of existing Christian faith without the impetus of the resurrection.
Is that like Christianity jumping on the bandwagon of Zoroastrianism?

Outrider

« Reply #49729 on: April 02, 2024, 11:51:33 PM »

On the contrary, the truth of Mohammed is that Jesus was 'just' a prophet, and Christianity is false. Surely you accept that this is true given the rapid expansion of Islam?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

torridon

« Reply #49730 on: April 03, 2024, 06:43:14 AM »

So, once again, you just sidestepped a learning opportunity.

Alan Burns

« Reply #49731 on: April 03, 2024, 04:41:44 PM »
On the contrary, the truth of Mohammed is that Jesus was 'just' a prophet, and Christianity is false. Surely you accept that this is true given the rapid expansion of Islam?

O.
Mohammed had to deny the crucifixion and resurrection in order to elevate himself above Jesus.
And the rapid expansion of Islam was brought about by violence whereas the rapid expansion of Christianity could only be attributed to the resurrection.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #49732 on: April 03, 2024, 04:52:59 PM »
Mohammed had to deny the crucifixion and resurrection in order to elevate himself above Jesus.
And the rapid expansion of Islam was brought about by violence whereas the rapid expansion of Christianity could only be attributed to the resurrection.
Can you put forward a case for your claim that it could only be attributed to the resurrection?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49733 on: April 03, 2024, 05:35:15 PM »
AB,

...whereas the rapid expansion of Christianity could only be attributed to the resurrection.

Why do you think that's true?
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #49734 on: April 03, 2024, 05:40:09 PM »
Can you put forward a case for your claim that it could only be attributed to the resurrection?

So nothing to do with politics, power, tribalism or conquest then?

Sorry NS - I meant quote Alan's post and not yours - another senior moment I'm afraid
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 05:47:20 PM by Gordon »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49735 on: April 03, 2024, 05:43:33 PM »
Gordon,

So nothing to do with politics, power, tribalism or conquest then?

Or dumb luck either apparently. If AB won the lottery tomorrow he'd presumably convince himself too that he'd been specially chosen to win it, not that Camelot doesn't give a proverbial who wins.   

God

Maeght

« Reply #49736 on: April 03, 2024, 07:01:47 PM »

Belief in the resurrection maybe.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49737 on: April 03, 2024, 07:10:43 PM »
Maeght,

Belief in the resurrection maybe.

No even that. Resurrection stories are commonplace in ancient faith traditions, so there's no particular reason to think that the Jesus iteration of it was the sole cause of the Christian faith surviving when other faiths did not. 

God

Maeght

« Reply #49738 on: April 03, 2024, 07:51:35 PM »
Maeght,

No even that. Resurrection stories are commonplace in ancient faith traditions, so there's no particular reason to think that the Jesus iteration of it was the sole cause of the Christian faith surviving when other faiths did not.

Indeed. I did say maybe and sure there were other factors equally or more important, such as the promise of salvation and eternal life.

Alan Burns

« Reply #49739 on: April 03, 2024, 07:59:31 PM »
What else could have motivated His early disciples to face persecution and death in promoting their newfound faith after the crucifixion and death of their leader?  (And there is no record of anyone surviving the dreadful Roman crucifixion,)

Maeght

« Reply #49740 on: April 03, 2024, 08:08:54 PM »
What else could have motivated His early disciples to face persecution and death in promoting their newfound faith after the crucifixion and death of their leader?  (And there is no record of anyone surviving the dreadful Roman crucifixion,)

How do you know they faced persecution and death?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49741 on: April 03, 2024, 08:12:30 PM »
Maeght,

Indeed. I did say maybe and sure there were other factors equally or more important, such as the promise of salvation and eternal life.

Yes, though even then the point about survivor bias is that it ignores the reasons other faiths/products fail and assumes that there's something inherent in the survivor that makes it successful. Very often though the reason for success has nothing to do with the winner - the emperor Constantine for example selecting Christianity as an approved religion ("religio licita") so Christians could praise their God without persecution likely had a great deal to do with it. AB's mistake is to retro-fit the reasons for the success of his preferred religion while ignoring the extraneous reasons that could just as well have applied to one of the competitors.         

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49742 on: April 03, 2024, 08:16:32 PM »
AB,

Lots of things, not least (as Maeght says) just the belief in, say, a resurrection rather than the actuality of it necessarily. Also though, the "persecution and death" part is questionable, especially after Constantine gave them a free pass. 

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #49743 on: April 03, 2024, 08:33:34 PM »
People die for things all the time, and often for things they are wrong about. And your attempted argument is just you using your incredulity again.

Your post isn't even in the realms of making a logical case.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 08:46:07 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #49744 on: April 03, 2024, 09:02:31 PM »
AB,

Lots of things, not least (as Maeght says) just the belief in, say, a resurrection rather than the actuality of it necessarily. Also though, the "persecution and death" part is questionable, especially after Constantine gave them a free pass.
I think that Constantine's actions are too far removed in time to be relevant in a case for or against Christianity's spread in terms of Alan's vague unsubstantiated claim.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49745 on: April 03, 2024, 10:36:45 PM »
NS,

I think that Constantine's actions are too far removed in time to be relevant in a case for or against Christianity's spread in terms of Alan's vague unsubstantiated claim.

Constantine converted to Christianity in 312, before which adherents of many nascent faiths suffered awful but sporadic and localized persecutions. His decision to stop the persecution of Christians in the Roman Empire ended that for one of the faiths only, and was accompanied by the officially mandated renewed persecution of competing faiths. It’s hard to know what AB is arguing, but the fact that many faiths survived until Constantine indicates that there was nothing unique about Christianity in that respect, and after Constantine Christianity had all the aces. In short, his “Christianity only succeeded because the resurrection is a fact” is plainly bollocks.

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #49746 on: April 03, 2024, 11:05:21 PM »
NS,

Constantine converted to Christianity in 312, before which adherents of many nascent faiths suffered awful but sporadic and localized persecutions. His decision to stop the persecution of Christians in the Roman Empire ended that for one of the faiths only, and was accompanied by the officially mandated renewed persecution of competing faiths. It’s hard to know what AB is arguing, but the fact that many faiths survived until Constantine indicates that there was nothing unique about Christianity in that respect, and after Constantine Christianity had all the aces. In short, his “Christianity only succeeded because the resurrection is a fact” is plainly bollocks.
I think that Alan uses the term rapid here rules out Constantine's actions.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49747 on: April 03, 2024, 11:17:58 PM »
NS,

I think that Alan uses the term rapid here rules out Constantine's actions.

Depends when he means by “rapid” and when he thinks the “rapid expansion” occurred. It was rapid after Constantine (unsurprisingly), but how rapid it was before then compared with other faiths is debatable.

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #49748 on: April 03, 2024, 11:41:30 PM »
NS,

Depends when he means by “rapid” and when he thinks the “rapid expansion” occurred. It was rapid after Constantine (unsurprisingly), but how rapid it was before then compared with other faiths is debatable.
Don't think events 280 years after the supposed resurrection can be considered rapid. As already covered, it's a vague claim but in the absence of any details, it's only reasonable to apply normal usage.

Given he's also cited persecution, then after Constantine can't apply. Doubly so, since he's ruled out spreading through conquest. I think we probably agree that the claim isn't defined in any level but is not much more than a mantra rolled out without thought.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 01:11:35 AM by Nearly Sane »

torridon

« Reply #49749 on: April 04, 2024, 07:33:53 AM »

Paradoxically, attempts to oppress a belief or ideology often have the oppposte effect, serving to strengthen the oppressed belief.  It's known in psychology as the 'backfire effect'. The Roman authorities attempting to wipe out the early christian groups probably had not factored this in.  We can see the same in Judaism, with the Jews having faced waves of persecution over millennia but they are still present in the world with a sense of identity that has been strengthened by historic persecution.  Ditto Tibetan Buddhism, which is now more widespread throughout the world in part thanks to the attempts by the Chinese Communist Party to eliminate it.  Some people are drawn to support oppressed minorities, so the oppressed belief gains new adherents.  Donald Trump's popularity with his fan base may be due in part to the perception of him as being silenced by the American deep state.