Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3740017 times)

Gordon

• Administrator
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #49800 on: April 07, 2024, 10:10:31 AM »
Gordon,
You constantly try to dismiss the Christian message by claiming lack of verifiable proof - but this cannot be used to imply that the Gospels were wrong.
Have you fully assessed the risks of you being wrong?

Seems to me it is quite reasonable of me to ask those who accept the NT claims how they have assessed the risks of mistakes or lies in the NT, or if have they not done so: from the responses I'd say 'not done so' is their position. Nice straw man though: I haven't asked for 'verifiable proof' of anything.

I'm not 'wrong' for the simple reason that I am not making any form of claim. I'm just asking an unremarkable question about the known risks of human artifice. It seems to me that the question must be unwelcome, since you theist chaps seem intent on not answering.

So, I'll try a simple question where 'Yes or 'No' would be a sufficient answer - do you accept that it is possible that the NT accounts could involve mistakes or lies?

ekim

« Reply #49801 on: April 07, 2024, 10:11:51 AM »
Gordon,
The same could be asked of you.  Isn't it better to seek the truth rather than be hung up on a belief?  Remember.....  'The Truth will set you free' not 'The Belief will set you free'.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #49802 on: April 07, 2024, 11:02:02 AM »
Gordon,
You constantly try to dismiss the Christian message by claiming lack of verifiable proof - but this cannot be used to imply that the Gospels were wrong.
I don't think we apportion belief on the basis of risk, rather we might change behaviour. Here though, I'm not sure how one would begin to assess the risk of being wrong. There isn't any measurable risk that I can see.

Maeght

« Reply #49803 on: April 07, 2024, 11:25:56 AM »
Gordon,

You can't make yourself believe something.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49804 on: April 07, 2024, 11:27:49 AM »
AB,

No he doesn’t. He and others instead explain to you why your justifying reasons for believing what you believe are wrong – a problem you always run away from.

Another basic error in reasoning, the argumentum ad consequentiam:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_consequences#:~:text=Appeal%20to%20consequences%2C%20also%20known,to%20desirable%20or%20undesirable%20consequences.

Oh, and have you fully assessed the consequences if you’re wrong? 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 01:08:45 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

torridon

« Reply #49805 on: April 07, 2024, 01:01:19 PM »
Gordon,

A belief born of fear of being wrong would not be a genuine belief.

Spud

« Reply #49806 on: April 07, 2024, 02:35:08 PM »
Vlad,

But your claim was that we don’t have the contemporaneous record because it would have been written on papyrus and papyrus perishes. The fact remains though that we do have papyrus records now written thousands of years BC.
Agreed. So we don't know why there are no extant contemporaneous records, if there were any.
Moreover you’ve linked to a description of why records that are created sometimes don’t survive. You still though have no case to determine that there were any contemporaneous records at all – it’s just as possible that there were none, either because the event didn’t happen at all or, if it did, because it wasn’t considered interesting enough to merit documenting at the time. Oral stories passed down over several decades will almost certainly change in their transmission, as any player of Chinese Whispers will tell you.
I think that Matthew was completed after a period of one or two decades, evidenced by his comments regarding the field of blood being so-called "to this day" and the rumour spread among the Jews "to this day" that the disciples stole the body. But not after AD 70 (or a few years before) because he shows signs of writing while the temple was still standing and the Jews were still practicing their religion in Jerusalem.
Based on that internal evidence (assuming it wasn't fabricated) it seems the first records were made within the generation who witnessed the events.

Regarding embellishment of the story, there are indeed signs that Matthew has been edited. But there is no sign that the miracles have been edited in (except on two occasions, both of which are duplicates of very similar miracles where the original two are integral to the structure of the narrative. See Matthew 9:27-31 and 20:29-34; also 9:32-34 and 12:22-24). There are around 20 doublets like those just mentioned. A doublet consists of two similar sentences or paragraphs. With most of them, one of the pair is out of context, while the other fits its context. The out-of-context one is the one that has been edited in. The point is that the miracles are integral to the structure of the narrative.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 02:38:27 PM by Spud »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #49807 on: April 07, 2024, 02:41:30 PM »
The point is that the miracles are integral to the structure of the narrative.

So was the 'One Ring'!

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49808 on: April 07, 2024, 03:17:35 PM »
Spud,

Agreed. So we don't know why there are no extant contemporaneous records, if there were any.

Yes. So when in Reply 49786 you said “Someone (professor Davey?) mentioned not having contemporary accounts but only ones from a few centuries later. That's because the accounts would have been written on papyrus, which disintegrates” we are now agreed that you cannot know that to have be the case for the resurrection story.

I think that Matthew was completed after a period of one or two decades, evidenced by his comments regarding the field of blood being so-called "to this day" and the rumour spread among the Jews "to this day" that the disciples stole the body. But not after AD 70 (or a few years before) because he shows signs of writing while the temple was still standing and the Jews were still practicing their religion in Jerusalem.

Based on that internal evidence (assuming it wasn't fabricated) it seems the first records were made within the generation who witnessed the events.

Quite possibly – so plenty of time then for transmission errors, lapses in memory etc. Nor moreover does that change the fact that, at best, Matthew could only have recorded what a witness thought he saw, which may or not be an accurate description of what actually happened. What the witness didn’t see for example could well be a much more important component of a more accurate explanation.   

Regarding embellishment of the story, there are indeed signs that Matthew has been edited. But there is no sign that the miracles have been edited in (except on two occasions, both of which are duplicates of very similar miracles where the original two are integral to the structure of the narrative. See Matthew 9:27-31 and 20:29-34; also 9:32-34 and 12:22-24). There are around 20 doublets like those just mentioned. A doublet consists of two similar sentences or paragraphs. With most of them, one of the pair is out of context, while the other fits its context. The out-of-context one is the one that has been edited in.

But none of which nullifies your core problem of establishing whether any actual miracles happened at all. A conjuring trick that was believed to be real could well have been recorded faithfully and accurately multiple times but would still be a conjuring trick regardless of what the witness thought it was. Think how closely the resurrection story mirrors the structure of a conjuring trick for example – the conjuror sets up the trick then pulls a curtain across so no-one can see the jiggery-pokery out of sight, which he then removes with a Ta-Daa!!! and the girl is “miraculously” out of the box. Similarly in the resurrection story the “curtain” is a big rock rolled in front of a tomb, and three days later…Ta-Daa!!! and there’s Jesus out of the tomb. Uncanny eh?

If a god had wanted to show a real miracle do you not think that rather than dress it in the paraphernalia of a conjuring trick, “He” could for example have had Jesus actually dead on the cross, unresponsive to being poked with spears etc and then… Ta-Daa!!! Jesus could have leapt from the cross without a mark on him? How much more convincing of an actual miracle would that have been!?     

The point is that the miracles are integral to the structure of the narrative.

No doubt, as they are in lots of different religious narratives too but that you find to be unconvincing.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 04:04:06 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #49809 on: April 07, 2024, 04:23:25 PM »

Oh, and have you fully assessed the consequences if you’re wrong?
The consequences of me being wrong are trivial compared to the consequences of you being wrong.
However, I have more than enough evidence to know that God's love is real.

If the resurrection was shown to be a reality, how would it affect your own life?

Today's Gospel is appropriate - showing how the apostle Thomas refused to believe in the resurrection until he saw Jesus with His wounds - then he made the profound statement: "My Lord and my God".
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49810 on: April 07, 2024, 04:47:57 PM »
AB,

The consequences of me being wrong are trivial compared to the consequences of you being wrong.

First you’ve just ignored your mistake that an argumentum ad consequentiam is a fallacy.

Second, what if there is a god only it’s not your god but is as petty and insecure as your god so the consequences of backing the wrong horse (ie yours) would be much more serious than backing no horse because I’d have committed  a “sin” according the real god’s rules?

That may or may not be true, but as you’ve never produced any such evidence here (either for "God's love" or indeed for "God" at all) there’s no way of knowing.

If the resurrection was shown to be a reality, how would it affect your own life?

That would depend on whether I accepted too the various unsubstantiated claims and assertions attached to it I suppose. How on earth would you propose to go about showing it was real though?

If Mohammed flying about for a bit on a winged horse was shown to be a reality, how would it affect your own life?

Today's Gospel is appropriate - showing how the apostle Thomas refused to believe in the resurrection until he saw Jesus with His wounds - then he made the profound statement: "My Lord and my God".

And your answer to the multiple evidential problems with this story would be what? And if you have no answer (and you haven't) could I interest you in a bridge I have for sale?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 05:19:15 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #49811 on: April 07, 2024, 06:50:10 PM »

What are these consequences, and what is your evidence for them?

Alan Burns

« Reply #49812 on: April 07, 2024, 08:09:02 PM »

.... what if there is a god only it’s not your god but is as petty and insecure as your god so the consequences of backing the wrong horse (ie yours) would be much more serious than backing no horse because I’d have committed  a “sin” according the real god’s rules?

There is only one God, and that is the God who has made Himself known to me in the person of Jesus Christ.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49813 on: April 07, 2024, 08:12:33 PM »
AB,

There is only one God, and that is the God who has made Himself known to me in the person of Jesus Christ.

Yes, we know that's your unqualified blind faith claim. Now then – do you have a single shred of evidence or sound reasoning to justify it, or is the unqualified blind faith claim all you have?

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #49814 on: April 07, 2024, 08:16:03 PM »
There's  a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 08:23:15 PM by Nearly Sane »

Alan Burns

« Reply #49815 on: April 07, 2024, 10:45:50 PM »
AB,

Yes, we know that's your unqualified blind faith claim. Now then – do you have a single shred of evidence or sound reasoning to justify it, or is the unqualified blind faith claim all you have?
My faith is not blind.
There is an avalanche of evidence which you choose to ignore, ridicule or dismiss - event to the extent of denying your freedom to control your own thoughts.

torridon

« Reply #49816 on: April 08, 2024, 07:08:31 AM »

Well, bully for you.  Must be nice to be singled out for a private audience and special privileges.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #49817 on: April 08, 2024, 07:27:12 AM »
My faith is not blind.
There is an avalanche of evidence which you choose to ignore, ridicule or dismiss - event to the extent of denying your freedom to control your own thoughts.

If you had sound evidence, Alan, then you wouldn't need personal faith, and in any event 'evidence' and 'faith' seem to be mutually exclusive.

There is sound evidence to explain why planes stay in the air that holds without needing any personal 'faith': and having confidence in the evidence that aviation works is not the same thing as 'faith' in a religious sense. There is no sound evidence for the miracles attributed to Jesus and those who accept them do so solely on the basis of personal 'faith', where those without 'faith' tend not to blindly accept miracle claims as being evidence for miracles.

'

Spud

« Reply #49818 on: April 08, 2024, 08:57:53 AM »
Which says nothing at all about the risk of transmission errors, whether or not you were talking about them. Transmission errors occur routinely in any passing down of stories – inadvertently, for translation reasons, to reflect the biases of the participants etc. That’s why historians look for independent, objective data to confirm stories as presented – and so is why your faith beliefs aren't treated as historically true. 
Apparently there are many transmission errors, but I think it's correct to say that they wouldn't be a reason to doubt the historicity of the gospels.

Spud

« Reply #49819 on: April 08, 2024, 09:05:30 AM »
Except the “four detailed accounts” were dependent on each other, not separately and independently compiled. If I claim to have seen a dragon and thirty odd years later different people either write down my story or one person does and then three others draw on the same source there’s aren’t four independent accounts of my story.     
There are at least four independent sources for the gospels: Matthew, who wrote first. Luke used Matthew but had other sources (for example the healing of the paralytic, where Matthew doesn't include that the men lowered him through the roof; Luke adds this detail which he must have got from another source). Mark used Matthew and Luke but had one or more other sources for the details he adds, such as the healing of the blind man at Bethsaida. The disciple John was the source for John's gospel.
As a result, there are more than one source for many of the miracles.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 09:08:50 AM by Spud »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #49820 on: April 08, 2024, 09:13:36 AM »
Apparently there are many transmission errors, but I think it's correct to say that they wouldn't be a reason to doubt the historicity of the gospels.

Oh I think they would Spud - especially since you know nothing about the effect of these, which leaves doubt as being a reasonable concern. To not doubt in these circumstances would be folly.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #49821 on: April 08, 2024, 09:15:20 AM »
There are at least four independent sources for the gospels: Matthew, who wrote first. Luke used Matthew but had other sources (for example the healing of the paralytic, where Matthew doesn't include that the men lowered him through the roof; Luke adds this detail which he must have got from another source). Mark used Matthew and Luke but had one or more other sources for the details he adds, such as the healing of the blind man at Bethsaida. The disciple John was the source for John's gospel.
As a result, there are more than one source for many of the miracles.

These is no provenance of note for any of these, and any or all could contain mistakes or lies - how have you taken account of these risks?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49822 on: April 08, 2024, 09:28:31 AM »
AB,

My faith is not blind.

Absent any sound justifying arguments for it, that’s exactly what it is.

There is an avalanche of evidence which you choose to ignore, ridicule or dismiss –

If there was any evidence you wouldn’t have to rely on “faith" instead, and what I actually do is to falsify the attempts you make at arguing it to be evidence at all. You on the other hand just ignore these falsifications and repeat the same logical errors over and over again. Only a few posts ago you tried an argumentum ad consequentiam for example, and when I explained to you that wanting something to be true has no relevance to whether it is true you just ignored the problem. It’s your routine dishonesty of this kind that engenders the reaction you get here.     

…event to the extent of denying your freedom to control your own thoughts.

The stupidity of your “conscious ness isn’t fully explicable in naturalistic terms/ therefore a naturalistic explanation is impossible/therefore magic” effort has been falsified countless times here without even the attempt of a rebuttal by you. Why on earth have you just returned to it? 

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #49823 on: April 08, 2024, 09:37:04 AM »
Spud,

No you are not correct in saying that at all. A high risk of transmission error (especially in oral traditions) is exactly one of the red flags in establishing the historicity of a story. That’s why historians look for original or early sources and for independent corroboration, as well incidentally and taking into account the possible biases of the people telling the stories. It’s also why the stories in the Gospels aren’t taught in academic history departments – something that should at least give you pause.     

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #49824 on: April 08, 2024, 09:41:58 AM »
Spud,

No you are not correct in saying that at all. A high risk of transmission error (especially in oral traditions) is exactly one of the red flags in establishing the historicity of a story. That’s why historians look for original or early sources and for independent corroboration, as well incidentally and taking into account the possible biases of the people telling the stories. It’s also why the stories in the Gospels aren’t taught in academic history departments – something that should at least give you pause.   
For clarity that's the non miracle stories that are being referred to here, the miracle based ones not being the subject of the study of history for reasons covered here many times.