Author Topic: Maybe YOU should take the test.... keep the faith!  (Read 40051 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Maybe YOU should take the test.... keep the faith!
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 09:02:25 PM »
How do you know what they might contribute to society, then, if they say nothing about it. Perhaps they do nothing much!  How do you know they are humble?

Quaker philanthropists, Quaker humanitarians, Quaker humanists (in the broadest sense, i.e. not necessarily and intrinsically identified with strictly secular non-religious humanists) tend on the whole not to draw attention to themselves. Their Quakerism or Quakerdom (so to speak) tends to have attention drawn to it by others, not themselves.

I can see how you are keen to try to get their aura of sanctity to rub off onto you, Shaker. However you are a virulent antitheist and they are a world away from the Quakers.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 09:03:07 PM »
How do you know what they might contribute to society, then, if they say nothing about it. Perhaps they do nothing much!  How do you know they are humble?

Quaker philanthropists, Quaker humanitarians, Quaker humanists (in the broadest sense, i.e. not necessarily and intrinsically identified with strictly secular non-religious humanists) tend on the whole not to draw attention to themselves. Their Quakerism or Quakerdom (so to speak) tends to have attention drawn to it by others, not themselves.

They are human, and so susceptible the failings of us all:  "Vanity, vanity, all is vanity!"

Isn't that a direct quotation from the Old Testament which you regularly claim to reject, Bashers? Ecclesiastes, if I recal
l rightly.

Of course it is. I reject the OT depiction of God;  and such things as the history of the Hebrew and their Judaic beliefs, that is all. My quote does not come under those criteria.  Do try and keep up. 
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Shaker

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 09:10:24 PM »
I can see how you are keen to try to get their aura of sanctity to rub off onto you, Shaker.
No idea what this "aura of sanctity" business is.

However you are a virulent antitheist and they are a world away from the Quakers.
Yes. I'm not a Quaker - not even a non-theist Quaker - and don't consider myself as such. Good ideas are good ideas wherever they come from. I'm an ideas slag rather than an ideas snob in that sense; if something accords with my reason, common sense and prior moral system I'll agree with it wherever it comes from. 
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Sassy

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 01:49:41 AM »
If you believe that garbage to be true, you will believe anything! :o

The point was not what I believe. The point is that there are claims amputees are getting new limbs and the REAL argument is not about whether to believe it or not BUT CAN IT BE PROVED.

If TRUE then what kind of idiot denies it before checking? ::)
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Sassy

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 01:51:19 AM »
Given the potentially world-changing magnitude of what's being claimed I wouldn't say that beforeitsnews.com and YouTube strike me as the last word in reliable sources of information.

FFS Why not just check it out instead of making excuses about where it was posted. Oh and FF is for flippin-hecks sake... Don't want you getting confused with all the other definitions...
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

Sassy

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2015, 01:55:05 AM »
Are you suggesting that, by creating the world on which you and I live, as a dynamic system which renews itself - and a process that sometimes results in humans suffering is a bad thing?

Would a traditional omnimax god (a) want to create a "dynamic system which renews itself" but without causing suffering, (b) know how to create such a system without causing suffering and (c) actually be able to create such a system without causing suffering?

He obviously has a sense of humour after all he created you and Floo. ;D ::)

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 03:05:14 AM »

The point was not what I believe. The point is that there are claims amputees are getting new limbs and the REAL argument is not about whether to believe it or not BUT CAN IT BE PROVED.

Well, can it be proved?
If yes....
What form do you think that proof would take?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Leonard James

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 06:01:57 AM »

Would a traditional omnimax god (a) want to create a "dynamic system which renews itself" but without causing suffering, (b) know how to create such a system without causing suffering and (c) actually be able to create such a system without causing suffering?

He obviously has a sense of humour after all he created you and Floo. ;D ::)

As usual, a non-answer to questions you don't like.

Leonard James

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 06:13:44 AM »

If TRUE then what kind of idiot denies it before checking? ::)

What kind of an idiot makes untrue claims in the first place. It CAN'T be proved by you or anybody on this earth.

Sassy

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 09:55:49 AM »
http://godisimaginary.com/video10.htm

Finally got to listen to it... If you think you need a college education or degree to understand what he is saying then he seriously deluded.

In history there has been cases and we posted them some time back on threads probably now cut of a limb growing back.

He talks about children starving... Get a life that is mans downfall and mans fault not God.
Enough food and charities why not give the raise to charities..

What a load of rubbish if the guy was intelligent even by worldly scholarly wisdom he would know Christ fed the hungry and use 5 loaves and three fishes leaving baskets of left overs.
If he had a brain he would know those who believe in Christ can do as CHRIST did.
So instead of complaining use his brain become a believer and use the power as Christ did for the good of others... But that is too simple isn't it  . Nah he would rather waste his money and time making such stupid videos. The world has suffering because Man has NEVER listened to God. Because everything is as it is because NO ONE believes God and those who make a mockery of him have even less ability to use the brain and understanding God gave them.

Sickness is NOT Gods will. But this man clearly cannot see the answer is to believe.

floo

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 10:32:12 AM »
Sass, how do you know sickness isn't the will of the deity?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 10:57:57 AM »
Oh, humungous festering balls. We're not talking about the creatures within the system but the system itself, so there's no reason for any of the usual twaddle about "robots." You've neatly slipped from the "system" - I assume, given the lack of clear definition, you mean the way that the natural world on this planet operates: weather systems; plate tectonics, etc. - to creatures living in or on that system. Make up your mind which you mean. An omnimax god would want, would know, would be able to create a planet Earth which is "dynamic" but without causing suffering to sentient creatures. Yes or no? You believe in such a deity yet such a state of affairs patently does not exist, therefore it falls to you to explain why not.
Hold your horses, Shaker.  This particular element of this thread started out from Floo's reference to 'the deity's ... 'nasty behaviour' (see Reply #15, iirc).  I understood her to be referring to things like suffering, natural disasters, etc.  I believe that all that has to do with the 'system', but that human intervention exacerbates it. 

In response to you question "An omnimax god would want, would know, would be able to create a planet Earth which is "dynamic" but without causing suffering to sentient creatures.  Yes or No?" I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'sentient'.  Do you mean beings that are able to 'perceive or feel things' (www.oxforddictionaries.com), or do you mean beings that are able to understand and respond/react to what is happening around them (a definition I have seen used on some forums and in some written material)? 

The latter definition implies a degree of freedom of thought and action (freewill?) which the other doesn't.  No doubt God could produce the former situation, but I believe he chose to create the latter.  Remember that the 'sentient being' is part and parcel of the system, not an external observer.

Your post is an all-too-familiar exercise in somebody claiming to know the mind and the intentions of the Creator of All That Is ("that would have necessitated robotic creations that would unquestioningly have obeyed his instructions - but that that wasn't what he wanted. He wanted humans who chose to have a relationship with their creator ...")
Yes, in a way I am claiming to know the mind of the Creator.  After all, he tells us his intentions often enough within the pages of the Bible.  One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist, or even a linguist, to understand that.  I wouldn't want to claim that I understand the finer details of God's thinking, but large brushstroke pictures often tell the main story whilst the finer brushstrokes tell the details.

Of course I don't believe in such a thing as that would obviously be silly and I'm not silly, but you do claim to. The highlighted passage not even merely implies but explicitly states that you know what such an entity wanted/wants.
Do you know what the Government intend to do over the next 4 to 5 years?  Of course you do.  It was laid out in their manifesto.  You may not know exactly, detail for detail, but you have a general picture.  How does that differ from my having an 'outline' understanding of God's purposes and plans?

As my hero, the late and phenomenally great Hitch once observed, I've been called arrogant in my time and hope to be so labelled again, but claiming to be privy to the thoughts, wishes, desires, aversions and intentions of the supposed Creator is beyond even my conceit.
I wouldn't call you arrogant if you paid me.  However, I would expect that you would be able to understand the difference between knowing an outline plan that is laid out in the euivalent of a manifesto and a detailed one that comes together over time and circumstance. 
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 11:00:21 AM »
Did sickness exist in the earliest days of human life, floo?  According to Genesis, at what point did sickness enter the system?  Whether Genesis is a theological or a historical document, that question needs to be answered.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Leonard James

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2015, 11:03:48 AM »
Did sickness exist in the earliest days of human life, floo?  According to Genesis, at what point did sickness enter the system?  Whether Genesis is a theological or a historical document, that question needs to be answered.

Well, surely if "God" created all firms of life and then Adam and Eve, he must have created malignant viruses and germs, before them ... which answers your question.

floo

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 11:07:58 AM »

Most likely. If the deity created everything, it created the wherewithal for sickness to flourish, so the buck stops with it!

Shaker

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »

No. That's all - just no.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »
The first question alone begs the question of where the idea for and ability to create prosthetic limbs comes from.  Is it any more logical to believe that it was a random idea from a randomised brain than to believe that it was an idea inspired by a loving God?

Yes it could have aliens or Santa Claus, maybe the tooth fairy got an upgrade and Tooth Fairy 2.0 does this sort of stuff. The use of the words like random doesn't really apply either.

The concomitant comment - that 'God completely ignores amputees when they pray for miracles' - seems to ignore the fact that we have prosthetics.  Why I as a Christian should have to create an 'excuse' for God - as the speaker calls it, seems illogical.  So, question 1 considered and deemed undefinitive.

Seriosuly are you going tell an amputee that his/her prosthetic is as good?

Question 2 - Starvation.  It is generally agreed that the world produces enough food to feed every person currently alive.  That may well not be at the level of consumption that we have here in the West - but probably also sets aside the level of waste that we have here in the West.

What are the causes of starvation/deprivation of this sort?  Greed, corruption, natural disaster - ad that's just three.

If an all powerful god exists it is guilty for all three.

etc
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2015, 12:47:02 PM »
Most likely. If the deity created everything, it created the wherewithal for sickness to flourish, so the buck stops with it!
Did God create the wherewithal for sickness to flourish, or did he create the potential for it to exist should things turn out in a given way? (Those are two very different things)

The next question is which way did he want things to turn out?  Do you think he wanted humanity to turn their back on him?  After all, that is what seems to have been the trigger for sickness to appear.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2015, 12:49:47 PM »
Seriosuly are you going tell an amputee that his/her prosthetic is as good?
It's not something I'd say, but I do know of people who have said that their artificial limb is at least as good as the natural one they used to have.

If an all powerful god exists it is guilty for all three.
Like Floo, you have made this comment before - yet never provided any evidence for it.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2015, 12:53:50 PM »
It's not something I'd say, but I do know of people who have said that their artificial limb is at least as good as the natural one they used to have

They may have said that if the limb was injured or damaged or non-fuctioning in some other way. They would not say it of a fully functioning anatomical limb.

Your post is disingenuous.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Leonard James

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2015, 12:55:29 PM »
The first question alone begs the question of where the idea for and ability to create prosthetic limbs comes from.  Is it any more logical to believe that it was a random idea from a randomised brain than to believe that it was an idea inspired by a loving God?

Why on earth would a loving "God" take such a roundabout route when he could just have given us the ability to regrow missing body parts, which incidentally "he" has given to other life forms.

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2015, 12:58:17 PM »
It's not something I'd say, but I do know of people who have said that their artificial limb is at least as good as the natural one they used to have.

Citation required.

Like Floo, you have made this comment before - yet never provided any evidence for it.

If god is all powerful then it follows that this god is able to control greed, corruption, natural disaster, the causes of starvation.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

Rhiannon

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2015, 01:06:04 PM »

We know it isn't historical, so what event was it that caused humanity to fall?

Leonard James

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2015, 01:12:10 PM »

We know it isn't historical, so what event was it that caused humanity to fall?

It doesn't really matter what it was ... we are still left with the fact (?) that "God" created viruses/germs to plague us.

floo

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2015, 01:38:12 PM »
What I don't get is that Biblical literalists will claim the deity created everything, yet blame humans when things go wrong! ::)