Author Topic: Satan is having an easy time of it!  (Read 45575 times)

floo

Re: Satan is having an easy time of it!
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2015, 08:43:55 AM »
Your conception of 'sensible' is evidently different to mine; but then, we knew that already.

Only natural... since bash knows what he is talking about when it comes to Christianity and you don't.

More silliness from Sass. At least her posts ensure one has a good laugh! ;D

floo

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2015, 08:48:43 AM »
Is this post about Satan or you lot?
Maybe THAT'S the point. Seems some here have justified the title of this post !!!

As a heathen who is supposed to wind up in hell, I guess I should be very jealous. Two of the 'Christian' posters on this thread are likely to be sitting at dear old Satan's right hand having done such a great job for him down here. The non believers on this forum will be nonentities and won't get a look in! ;D

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2015, 12:57:53 PM »
Maybe THAT'S the point. Seems some here have justified the title of this post !!!

As a heathen who is supposed to wind up in hell, I guess I should be very jealous. Two of the 'Christian' posters on this thread are likely to be sitting at dear old Satan's right hand having done such a great job for him down here. The non believers on this forum will be nonentities and won't get a look in! ;D

There's no such thing as Satan:  grow up!  You are merely using the concept to throw brick-bats at people.  So, again, grow up!
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2015, 01:08:47 PM »

There's no such thing as Satan:  grow up!  You are merely using the concept to throw brick-bats at people.  So, again, grow up!

You see you Christians are so confusing - not to mention inconsistent.

This is a brief extract I just found:

If you disbelieve that Satan exists or that he is a mere myth, then you are saying that God has lied to us and placed myths and fables in the Bible. Just because Satan has been portrayed in inaccurate ways down through history or through Hollywood movies, does not negate the truth that Satan exists as we have seen in the verses we looked at up to this point. When we begin to arrogate to ourselves a mindset of I know more than God, which is exactly what people do who deny any cardinal doctrine of Scripture, you can be sure that person is unsaved. If a person calls themselves a Christian and then goes and attacks God’s word, they are no better than the cults who do it which means they are on the same ground as they are, unsaved. Let us proceed to the second part of this study which contain verses with euphemisms for Satan which name his attributes or character. You will notice that I did not hit every verse with the name Satan or will I hit every verse in part 2. This is simply for brevity sake but nothing is stopping you from studying those other verses since you now have a good foundation laid for you.

From here: http://www.scionofzion.com/satanexist.htm

Now this is just from a quick gogglle because I haven't much time - and I have no idea who this person is or indeed what his website is trying to achieve - I merely post it as proof that some Christians do believe in Satan.

I am sure if you looked around some more, or even talked to some of the posters on here they would also affirm their belief in Satan.

I'm glad you recognise it for the rubbish it clearly is - but you can't really have a go at Floo when clearly many Christians do believe.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2015, 01:14:33 PM »

If you disbelieve that Satan exists or that he is a mere myth, then you are saying that God has lied to us and placed myths and fables in the Bible. Just because Satan has been portrayed in inaccurate ways down through history or through Hollywood movies, does not negate the truth that Satan exists as we have seen in the verses we looked at up to this point. When we begin to arrogate to ourselves a mindset of I know more than God, which is exactly what people do who deny any cardinal doctrine of Scripture, you can be sure that person is unsaved. If a person calls themselves a Christian and then goes and attacks God’s word, they are no better than the cults who do it which means they are on the same ground as they are, unsaved. Let us proceed to the second part of this study which contain verses with euphemisms for Satan which name his attributes or character. You will notice that I did not hit every verse with the name Satan or will I hit every verse in part 2. This is simply for brevity sake but nothing is stopping you from studying those other verses since you now have a good foundation laid for you.

Now this is just from a quick gogglle because I haven't much time - and I have no idea who this person is or indeed what his website is trying to achieve - I merely post it as proof that some Christians do believe in Satan.

I am sure if you looked around some more, or even talked to some of the posters on here they would also affirm their belief in Satan.

I'm glad you recognise it for the rubbish it clearly is - but you can't really have a go at Floo when clearly many Christians do believe.

I readily include anybody, Christian or otherwise, in what I say.  It is an absurdity to  believe there is some sort of malign being, stalking around, attempting to ensnare people.  We are all totally responsible for our own actions, good or bad, and to suggest a devil is at work behind the sins, is all but laughable. 
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Shaker

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2015, 01:19:33 PM »
Nearly there Bashers ... nearly there ...  ;)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

jjohnjil

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2015, 01:27:55 PM »

I readily include anybody, Christian or otherwise, in what I say.  It is an absurdity to  believe there is some sort of malign being, stalking around, attempting to ensnare people.  We are all totally responsible for our own actions, good or bad, and to suggest a devil is at work behind the sins, is all but laughable.

Of course, BA, you're quite right to say it's laughable.  Why the Christian Fathers invented this clown to keep God squeaky clean just shows how desperate they were to suck in the hard of thinking!

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2015, 01:30:10 PM »

Hmm. The gospel writers recorded Jesus as believing in Satan.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Alien

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2015, 01:31:10 PM »

Of course, BA, you're quite right to say it's laughable.  Why the Christian Fathers invented this clown to keep God squeaky clean just shows how desperate they were to suck in the hard of thinking!
It wasn't the Church Fathers.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

floo

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2015, 01:44:57 PM »

Hmm. The gospel writers recorded Jesus as believing in Satan.

So what? No doubt many people of his time believed him to be an entity. Just because Jesus believed something to be true doesn't mean it was!

floo

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2015, 01:51:58 PM »
Floo
"So what? No doubt many people of his time believed him to be an entity. Just because Jesus believed something to be true doesn't mean it was!"

::)

Christians believe Jesus can't get it wrong, they believe he was God, remember!

Funny I didn't know that! ::)

ad_orientem

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2015, 01:54:19 PM »
Why the Christian Fathers invented this clown to keep God squeaky clean just shows how desperate they were to suck in the hard of thinking!

So which of the holy fathers are you referring to then? Or are you just talking bollocks?
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

ad_orientem

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2015, 01:55:12 PM »

Is, not was.

floo

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2015, 01:56:07 PM »

Is, not was.

Without any evidence to support that claim!

ad_orientem

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2015, 01:57:53 PM »

Is, not was.

For you, no evidence would be enough.

floo

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2015, 02:00:44 PM »

Is, not was.

There is not one shred of verifiable evidence.

Shaker

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2015, 02:06:24 PM »

Is, not was.

Do you have any evidence for that claim?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

jjohnjil

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2015, 02:08:35 PM »
Why the Christian Fathers invented this clown to keep God squeaky clean just shows how desperate they were to suck in the hard of thinking!

So which of the holy fathers are you referring to then? Or are you just talking bollocks?

Yes, it's all bollocks.  I know that and you know that, but it still goes round and round (Pun intended)!

ad_orientem

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2015, 02:22:05 PM »

Is, not was.

Ok, is 😜🌹

Is, as in, still is, rather than was.

Shaker

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2015, 02:38:47 PM »
That is of course simply a belief with not a scrap of evidence to substantiate it.

Probably didn't need to say that but it never hurts to point out when people are talking about their beliefs and not facts, so that we all remember the difference.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 02:42:07 PM by Shaker »

Alien

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2015, 02:43:13 PM »
...Hmm. The gospel writers recorded Jesus as believing in Satan.

So what? No doubt many people of his time believed him to be an entity. Just because Jesus believed something to be true doesn't mean it was!
Actually, again you are making a positive claim, i.e. that Jesus was not the Son of God and did not know whether Satan existed. However, the reason I pointed it out is because BA's claim about Satan seems at variance with his belief that Jesus being divine unless, as appears to be the case, he thinks the gospel records about Jesus are inaccurate on this point. IIRC, he also thinks they are inaccurate in recording Jesus' views on judgement and, it seems, on Jesus' understanding of who God is.

Now it may be that I've misunderstood some of what BA believes, but I am sure he will correct me right if that is the case.

floo

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2015, 02:49:41 PM »
I think the default position where less than credible claims are made is that unless there is verifiable evidence to back them up they aren't likely to be true.

Shaker

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2015, 02:57:33 PM »
I think the default position where less than credible claims are made is that unless there is verifiable evidence to back them up they aren't likely to be true.

Well yes, that's fundamental to any rationalist and sceptical view of the world. As soon as we hear any new claim being made we all - or mostly - do a lightning calculation in our heads as to how likely it is to be true or untrue based on how well it slots into our prior knowledge of the world which we've all been collecting and reinforcing since we left the womb. If somebody tells me that their boyfriend has gone to the local pool for a nice swim, I have no reason to disbelieve her (but could, if I felt it necessary, do various things to verify the claim), whereas if she tells me that he walks on water I instantly disbelieve the claim as forming absolutely no part of my or anyone's knowledge of the behaviour of the world. Such things have to go into the "Exceedingly improbable and vastly more likely to be false than true: investigate further" tray.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:04:24 PM by Shaker »

floo

« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2015, 04:01:27 PM »
Exactly!

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2015, 04:13:58 PM »
Your conception of 'sensible' is evidently different to mine; but then, we knew that already.

Only natural... since bash knows what he is talking about when it comes to Christianity and you don't.

More silliness from Sass. At least her posts ensure one has a good laugh! ;D

It is indeed a strange statement to say the least, since Sass believes the OT to be the inerrant word of God (but does not consider the NT to be inerrant), whereas BA rejects the OT as largely irrelevant.

Nevermind, these believers come in all shapes and sizes (as do atheists and agnostics).
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David