Author Topic: Satan is having an easy time of it!  (Read 45538 times)

BashfulAnthony

Re: Satan is having an easy time of it!
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2015, 11:20:13 PM »
Dawn French really ought to stick to comedy - at least she's marginally good at that.

Nancy, actually.  Maybe she's Dawn's clever sister,  though I accept you are more on Dawn's wavelength.
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Shaker

« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2015, 11:22:13 PM »
Dawn French really ought to stick to comedy - at least she's marginally good at that.

Nancy, actually.
So who, if not Dawn, is the D. in D. and N. French?

Maybe she's Dawn's clever sister,  though I accept you are more on Dawn's wavelength.
No; I like my comedy to be funny. I'm old-fashioned that way.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2015, 11:24:15 PM »

Nancy, actually.
So who, if not Dawn, is the D. in D. and N. French?

Maybe she's Dawn's clever sister,  though I accept you are more on Dawn's wavelength.
No; I like my comedy to be funny. I'm old-fashioned that way.

David.

And I don't believe you;  I think you are a"Vicar of Dibley" fan.      ::)
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Sassy

« Reply #153 on: June 21, 2015, 02:32:43 AM »
'God isn't a liar'

Another daft assumption made by Sass. ::) You have no idea if exists let alone whether the deity is truthful or not!

It there no end to the display of your ignorance?
Even with just the knowledge of the bible itself, anyone would know that God does not and could not lie.

Why persist with making yourself look ignorant? :(
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Leonard James

« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2015, 06:36:40 AM »
'God isn't a liar'

Another daft assumption made by Sass. ::) You have no idea if exists let alone whether the deity is truthful or not!

Floo is not ignorant, and she is spot on in her assessment of your claim. You do NOT know that "God" exists, it is just your belief.

Even with just the knowledge of the bible itself, anyone would know that God does not and could not lie.

The people that lie are the ones who claim to have knowledge of "God".

She doesn't. You are the one who persists in being pig-headed enough to claim knowledge that you don't have. It's all belief, Sass, and you know it.

jjohnjil

« Reply #155 on: June 21, 2015, 07:08:32 AM »
'God isn't a liar'

Floo is not ignorant, and she is spot on in her assessment of your claim. You do NOT know that "God" exists, it is just your belief.

The people that lie are the ones who claim to have knowledge of "God".

She doesn't. You are the one who persists in being pig-headed enough to claim knowledge that you don't have. It's all belief, Sass, and you know it.

I very much doubt if she knows it, Len, she is so rooted in the Good Book that she believes every word - and thinks everyone else should too!

Leonard James

« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2015, 07:28:43 AM »

I very much doubt if she knows it, Len, she is so rooted in the Good Book that she believes every word - and thinks everyone else should too!

Unless she is very stupid, and I don't think she is, she MUST know it, even though she persists in denying it.

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2015, 07:36:35 AM »
I was amused the other day to come across fine tuning as an argument for atheism.   Well, it's not really an argument, but a kind of confirmation.  It goes, that if there is no God, we would expect life to occur in a universe that is very large and very old, in order to allow all kinds of combinations of elements to occur, before the jackpot.   Well, hello, the universe seems to be very large and very old.   ...
That's interesting. As I understand it it is completely against what scientists in general argue. The term "fine tuning" is perhaps not a good one as it seems to imply a tuner, but it is generally accepted that the actual combination of constants and quantities of stuff are so on a razor's edge that if any of them had been even very, very, very, very slightly different then there would have been no intelligent life in this universe.

This, in itself, is not a purely Christian claim.

Where did you see that claim about fine tuning being an argument for atheism, please?
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Alien

« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2015, 07:39:55 AM »

It beats me why an omnipotent God would use billions of years, and billions of galaxies, with billions of stars, to produce life.   Why not just produce it ab initio?
Why shouldn't he? Is that not just an argument from personal incredulity.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Alien

« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2015, 07:40:58 AM »

God = no coherent definition. Absolutely no evidence whatever, anywhere, ever, at all. Theist's reply: "I'll take it as true anyway."

You couldn't make it up (until somebody does).
You just did.

Alien

« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2015, 07:43:43 AM »
So no sensible response to BA's quote then. Please do feel free to provide one. It seemed worthy of a sensible reply to me.

Note the Oxford English Dictionary definition of "evidence":

Definition of evidence in English:

noun

1 The available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid:
 (e.g.) the study finds little evidence of overt discrimination

1.1 Law Information drawn from personal testimony, a document, or a material object, used to establish facts in a legal investigation or admissible as testimony in a law court:
(e.g.) without evidence, they can’t bring a charge

1.2 Signs or indications of something:
there was no obvious evidence of a break-in
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 08:40:27 AM by Alien »

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2015, 08:33:35 AM »
I just love it when Shaker's ugly arrogance does this to him. Too funny that Shaker.

floo

« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2015, 08:35:15 AM »
'God isn't a liar'

That is a good one coming from the mistress of ignorance. ;D You lie if you state the deity doesn't lie, as a FACT. You want to assume that but you don't even KNOW if it exists as there is no evidence to support its existence! ::)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2015, 08:45:38 AM »
So no sensible response to BA's quote then. Please do feel free to provide one. It seemed worthy of a sensible reply to me.

Note the Oxford English Dictionary definition of "evidence":

Definition of evidence in English:

noun

1 The available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid:
 (e.g.) the study finds little evidence of overt discrimination

1.1 Law Information drawn from personal testimony, a document, or a material object, used to establish facts in a legal investigation or admissible as testimony in a law court:
(e.g.) without evidence, they can’t bring a charge

1.2 Signs or indications of something:
there was no obvious evidence of a break-in

And, as ever,  evidence as described there and in law and history is methodologically naturalistic. When you eventually get back with a supernaturalistic methodology, you know the one you have been asked for over years and hundreds of times, then you can talk about evidence.

Shaker

« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2015, 09:46:48 AM »
That's interesting. As I understand it it is completely against what scientists in general argue. The term "fine tuning" is perhaps not a good one as it seems to imply a tuner, but it is generally accepted that the actual combination of constants and quantities of stuff are so on a razor's edge that if any of them had been even very, very, very, very slightly different then there would have been no intelligent life in this universe.

Where did you see that claim about fine tuning being an argument for atheism, please?

http://bfy.tw/RUz
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 09:49:28 AM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Andy

« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2015, 09:51:16 AM »
I was amused the other day to come across fine tuning as an argument for atheism.   Well, it's not really an argument, but a kind of confirmation.  It goes, that if there is no God, we would expect life to occur in a universe that is very large and very old, in order to allow all kinds of combinations of elements to occur, before the jackpot.   Well, hello, the universe seems to be very large and very old.   ...

There wouldn't even be this universe, so what does intelligent life matter? It really is a "no shit Sherlock" argument of the tautological variety.

wigginhall

« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2015, 10:38:47 AM »

It beats me why an omnipotent God would use billions of years, and billions of galaxies, with billions of stars, to produce life.   Why not just produce it ab initio?
Why shouldn't he? Is that not just an argument from personal incredulity.

It's not an argument.  I just wonder if theists who use fine tuning as an argument, have given some pointers about why God would require so much time and so much space, when he only needs one planet.   If you're going to say, why wouldn't he, never mind.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Gonnagle

« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2015, 11:23:41 AM »
Dear Wigs,

On the subject of the fine tuning argument, which most on here seem to think it is dead in the water, why do still see so much literature arguing against.

I am reading at the moment, The science of Discworld, Judgement Day, which devotes a whole chapter to denouncing the fine tuning argument.

Human centred thinking verses universe centred thinking, it all smacks to me of, I think they doeth protest to much.

The fact is we are here to wonder and awe at the universe and we can in a very small way understand that the universe has rules, why!!

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

wigginhall

« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2015, 11:38:14 AM »
Dear Wigs,

On the subject of the fine tuning argument, which most on here seem to think it is dead in the water, why do still see so much literature arguing against.

I am reading at the moment, The science of Discworld, Judgement Day, which devotes a whole chapter to denouncing the fine tuning argument.

Human centred thinking verses universe centred thinking, it all smacks to me of, I think they doeth protest to much.

The fact is we are here to wonder and awe at the universe and we can in a very small way understand that the universe has rules, why!!

Gonnagle.

I think that fine tuning was seized on by some theologians as a killing argument for God, and subsequently, different people have begun to argue against it.  It also struck me as a very detached kind of argument, in any case, as if God was sitting there twiddling dials, hmm, better reduce gravity a bit, and the proton/neutron balance is looking a bit iffy, better adjust.  And some of it just looks incorrect. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2015, 11:43:38 AM »
Fine tuning is just updated watchmaker argument, since that leads to either an infinite regress or special pleading, it is flawed from the start

ippy

« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2015, 01:46:25 PM »
Dear Wigs,

Gonnagle.

Gonners I note you have pointed this out:

"On the subject of the fine tuning argument, which most on here seem to think it is dead in the water, why do still see so much literature arguing against".
=====
If anyone has no case in any kind of argument you quite often see them clutching at straws, well there you are there's your answer it's no different to any other virtually lost cause.

ippy

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 02:48:34 PM by ippy »

Gonnagle

« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2015, 05:11:40 PM »
Dear ippy,

Clutching at straws, well here's the thing, one of the things the book chunters on about is the story telling chimpanzee.

We all love a good story, but it seems to me that they forget scientists are also story telling apes.

Gonnagle.

floo

« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2015, 05:58:20 PM »
Far better to be a more evolved ape than created in the image of the unpleasant deity!

ippy

« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2015, 07:12:40 PM »
Dear ippy,

Clutching at straws, well here's the thing, one of the things the book chunters on about is the story telling chimpanzee.

We all love a good story, but it seems to me that they forget scientists are also story telling apes.

Gonnagle.

I know religion means a lot to you Gonners but surly you're not one of the creationist nutters? I've never seen or thought of you as being that far gone. No pun intended.

ippy

Gonnagle

« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2015, 07:32:26 PM »
Dear ippy,

Course not, simply saying religion has their stories which they cling to and scientists have their stories which they cling to, we are story telling apes, but I see no difference, we all want our way to be the truth.

Gonnagle.