Author Topic: Satan is having an easy time of it!  (Read 45550 times)

BashfulAnthony

Re: Satan is having an easy time of it!
« Reply #200 on: June 22, 2015, 11:54:19 AM »
I did once and you never responded. No doubt you'll just wave that off though.

I don't recollect it.  I'm here, ask again.
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2015, 02:35:53 PM »
Rhiannon said: "What about Jesus' own words in Matt 5:17-20?

I take your point but explicitly Jesus does not do away with the OT; rather he embraces it, particularly the Law. I think that rather than seeing the OT as purely Judaic it is more accurate to see the NT as the result of a progression in thought from old ideas (such as the erroneous belief that God kills as punishment) to the new - the unconditional love of Christ.

If you discount the OT you then throw out the Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Job - all speak to us down the centuries and are worth engaging with even as non-believers. Why ignore such richness of writing on the human condition and how we relate to God?"

Just wanted to say I agree with all that Rhiannon.

I've never met anyone from an online forum, couldn't be bothered with it now but I know a couple of people who have met and formed rewarding friendships.  Years ago many of us posted on a couple of forums where there were many young people, students, and they got together quite successfully.  They were a good laugh on the forums.

Floo I'm sorry you've met some nasties and been taken advantage of.  It's so difficult sometimes, especially when you hear a sob story.  We all learn from experience.  Whoever said, above, that we should keep our wallets closed is quite right.  A little bit of money is alright but we need to be sure the need is genuine and how can we know that from internet acquaintance?

Over my year of posting on Christian forums I have changed my mind, slowly and with much thought, on one or two issues.   That is because of posting on forums where there are differences of opinion and some good discussions.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

ad_orientem

« Reply #202 on: June 22, 2015, 02:46:43 PM »

http://www.religionethics.co.uk/index.php?topic=10121.msg510433#msg510433
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #203 on: June 22, 2015, 04:39:44 PM »
Rhiannon said: "What about Jesus' own words in Matt 5:17-20?

I take your point but explicitly Jesus does not do away with the OT; rather he embraces it, particularly the Law. I think that rather than seeing the OT as purely Judaic it is more accurate to see the NT as the result of a progression in thought from old ideas (such as the erroneous belief that God kills as punishment) to the new - the unconditional love of Christ.

If you discount the OT you then throw out the Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Job - all speak to us down the centuries and are worth engaging with even as non-believers. Why ignore such richness of writing on the human condition and how we relate to God?"

Just wanted to say I agree with all that Rhiannon.

I agree with most of what Rhiannon wrote, especially with her speaking of the relevance of such texts to non-believers (however, that would necessarily preclude the clause "how we relate to God").
Also, though I agree that there appears to be a progression of ideas from OT to NT, it is not necessarily linear, and whether Jesus' message of love was totally unconditional is still up for debate. There are certain passages where Jesus appears to speak of unconditional love, and others where his message is much more judgmental. We have to decide which sayings are authentic, and it doesn't do just to say "This contradicts that, so I'll go with the nicer one, which I like". Of course, if you're into biblical inerrancy, then you have to find some way of reconciling everything, and the results of this approach are a tad unconvincing, to say the least.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #204 on: June 22, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »

The link doesn't work.  Just tell:  the odds are I've answered somewhere anyway.
BA.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #205 on: June 22, 2015, 04:54:07 PM »
 :o

The link doesn't work.  Just tell:  the odds are I've answered somewhere anyway.

Link worked for me

I have copied ad_o' s reply that it links to but since it is in the middle of a run of replies, it lacks context

'The only thing my conscience has to deal with is conformng itself to the will of God, even in his judgements, which are always just. Yes, even when the whole earth, except Noah and company, were destroyed in the flood; or when he brought fire and brimstine upon Sodom and Gomorrah; or when he brought seven plagues upon the Egyptians. It's the same kind of judgement Christ speaks of in the Gospel according to St. Matthew (unless, of course, you're going to throw that out with the OT) when he will judge the living and the dead (even those who died in the flood, or fire and brimstone, or the seven plagues). And who is to say that all of them will be damned, for did our Lord not descend into Hades and preach the Gospel there too?'

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #206 on: June 22, 2015, 04:56:45 PM »

Link worked for me

I have copied ad_o' s reply that it links to but since it is in the middle of a run of replies, it lacks context

'The only thing my conscience has to deal with is conformng itself to the will of God, even in his judgements, which are always just. Yes, even when the whole earth, except Noah and company, were destroyed in the flood; or when he brought fire and brimstine upon Sodom and Gomorrah; or when he brought seven plagues upon the Egyptians. It's the same kind of judgement Christ speaks of in the Gospel according to St. Matthew (unless, of course, you're going to throw that out with the OT) when he will judge the living and the dead (even those who died in the flood, or fire and brimstone, or the seven plagues). And who is to say that all of them will be damned, for did our Lord not descend into Hades and preach the Gospel there too?'

I have answered the point this very day, in discussion with Rhiannon - he is free to look it up.  I might say, I have referred to this more than once.
BA.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: June 22, 2015, 05:01:24 PM »

Link worked for me

I have answered the point this very day, in discussion with Rhiannon - he is free to look it up.  I might say, I have referred to this more than once.
a simple 'thank you' would have sufficed

floo

« Reply #208 on: June 22, 2015, 05:03:50 PM »
Floo I'm sorry you've met some nasties and been taken advantage of.  It's so difficult sometimes, especially when you hear a sob story.  We all learn from experience.  Whoever said, above, that we should keep our wallets closed is quite right.  A little bit of money is alright but we need to be sure the need is genuine and how can we know that from internet acquaintance?

I like to help people out, but have wised up where giving money is concerned to folk  I don't know personally, apart from charities of course. I have decided not to give out my e-mail address to anyone I meet on-line, and have blocked, in the last few days, all those who already have it, just in case it goes wrong. 

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #209 on: June 22, 2015, 05:07:30 PM »

Link worked for me

Thank you , for what?  You didn't need to post on ad_o's behalf, and I'm not sure you did so with the most helpful motive:  maybe I'm wrong.
BA.

ad_orientem

« Reply #210 on: June 22, 2015, 05:16:59 PM »
But you didn't answer me. You're just avoiding it again.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: June 22, 2015, 05:18:53 PM »

Link worked for me

Thank you , for what?  You didn't need to post on ad_o's behalf, and I'm not sure you did so with the most helpful motive:  maybe I'm wrong.
A couple of things I have posted and seen posted recently,there has been a problem with links, I thought I would look at the one that caused you problems, it worked so I posted it and gave some detail that I had just taken the direct reply. It seemed like a reasonable thing to do. Having my motive questioned is sad. I forgive you

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #212 on: June 22, 2015, 05:22:07 PM »

Link worked for me

I have answered the point this very day, in discussion with Gabriella, I think it was - he is free to look it up.  I might say, I have referred to this more than once.

A couple of things I have posted and seen posted recently,there has been a problem with links, I thought I would look at the one that caused you problems, it worked so I posted it and gave some detail that I had just taken the direct reply. It seemed like a reasonable thing to do. Having my motive questioned is sad. I forgive you

Excellent.
BA.

ad_orientem

« Reply #213 on: June 22, 2015, 05:37:44 PM »

Well, Bash?

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #214 on: June 22, 2015, 06:25:50 PM »

Well, Bash?

Answer what?   It's like being on trial!
BA.

ad_orientem

« Reply #215 on: June 22, 2015, 07:16:20 PM »

Well, Bash?

Regarding the post of mine I linked to.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #216 on: June 22, 2015, 07:21:18 PM »

I like to help people out, but have wised up where giving money is concerned to folk  I don't know personally, apart from charities of course. I have decided not to give out my e-mail address to anyone I meet on-line, and have blocked, in the last few days, all those who already have it, just in case it goes wrong.

I suppose that's wise if you've had problems with people online.  I've blocked some today - but they were all flipping adverts!  They drive me potty.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #217 on: June 22, 2015, 08:21:30 PM »

Well, Bash?

I told you,it doesn't come up with me.  Tell me what you want me to answer, and I will try my best, Your Honour!!
BA.

ad_orientem

« Reply #218 on: June 22, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »

Well, Bash?

I told you,it doesn't come up with me.  Tell me what you want me to answer, and I will try my best, Your Honour!!
Nearly Sane quoted it for you, but I see you're not interested. You pose a question but when you receive an answer you don't like you duck and dive. I should have guessed. You make our Lord to be a liar.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #219 on: June 22, 2015, 10:41:31 PM »

Well, Bash?

Nearly Sane quoted it for you, but I see you're not interested. You pose a question but when you receive an answer you don't like you duck and dive. I should have guessed. You make our Lord to be a liar.

Now who's ducking and diving?  I'm asking you what you said, not Nearly Sane.  Why won't you repeat it? Well?   Ask me and I will answer.  Can't be clearer than that.  You are the liar, because you mis-represent me.  Ask me.
BA.

trippymonkey

« Reply #220 on: June 23, 2015, 01:16:36 PM »
NO!!!!

ad_orientem

« Reply #221 on: June 23, 2015, 01:29:30 PM »
Well, he did, as St. Peter tells us in one of his epistles..

trippymonkey

« Reply #222 on: June 23, 2015, 02:27:08 PM »

OH It MUST be right then ?!?!!?!? ;) :o

floo

« Reply #223 on: June 23, 2015, 02:44:54 PM »

And he was right of course! ;D

ad_orientem

« Reply #224 on: June 23, 2015, 02:50:07 PM »

And he was right of course! ;D

Of course!