Author Topic: There is no health in us.  (Read 69246 times)

Jack Knave

Re: There is no health in us.
« Reply #250 on: July 02, 2015, 04:30:22 PM »
Why have so many people openly and honestly looked at the "evidence" and concluded (in the vernacular) that it's a crock?

Or are you going to claim that they simply didn't look openly and honestly?
That's a possibility. Why do you think I have looked at the evidence and come to the conclusion that it is sufficient. Don't be shy in putting your view across.
Weren't you a Christian as a child in Wales?
Wash your mouth out! I'm from Norfolk!
I got this Welsh thing from a thread where you described living there and living near Aberfan during the disaster era. That was the Christmas cracker, the one made by you. Are you saying you never lived in Wales?

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #251 on: July 02, 2015, 04:48:46 PM »
Why have so many people openly and honestly looked at the "evidence" and concluded (in the vernacular) that it's a crock?

Or are you going to claim that they simply didn't look openly and honestly?
That's a possibility. Why do you think I have looked at the evidence and come to the conclusion that it is sufficient. Don't be shy in putting your view across.
Weren't you a Christian as a child in Wales?
Wash your mouth out! I'm from Norfolk!
I got this Welsh thing from a thread where you described living there and living near Aberfan during the disaster era. That was the Christmas cracker, the one made by you. Are you saying you never lived in Wales?
Nope, I've never lived in Wales. I think you've just remembered it a bit awry. The Aberfan disaster was one of the things which put my mum and dad off church/Christianity for about 15 years. They struggled to see how a loving God could allow that.

The other things were not quite so significant - the vicar only giving out half a wafer to each person at communion and a disagreement about the sidesmen's rota!
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Shaker

« Reply #252 on: July 02, 2015, 05:10:14 PM »
The Aberfan disaster was one of the things which put my mum and dad off church/Christianity for about 15 years. They struggled to see how a loving God could allow that.
As well they might. At the end of that fifteen year period did they return to church/Christianity, and if so, how did they square that particular circle?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Alien

« Reply #253 on: July 02, 2015, 05:13:20 PM »
The Aberfan disaster was one of the things which put my mum and dad off church/Christianity for about 15 years. They struggled to see how a loving God could allow that.
As well they might. At the end of that fifteen year period did they return to church/Christianity, and if so, how did they square that particular circle?
Yes, they came back with a bit of a bang, partly because Dad's migraines stopped when our local vicar prayed for him (and something to do with me becoming a Christian too). I'm not sure how they see that problem now. I can't ask Mum as she is in heaven. I'll try to remember to ask Dad next Tuesday or Wednesday when I see him.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Shaker

« Reply #254 on: July 02, 2015, 05:16:03 PM »
Yes, they came back with a bit of a bang, partly because Dad's migraines stopped when our local vicar prayed for him

Right ::)

I'm not sure how they see that problem now. I can't ask Mum as she is in heaven. I'll try to remember to ask Dad next Tuesday or Wednesday when I see him.
I'd be very interested to know.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Alien

« Reply #255 on: July 02, 2015, 05:16:54 PM »
Yes, they came back with a bit of a bang, partly because Dad's migraines stopped when our local vicar prayed for him

Right ::)

I'm not sure how they see that problem now. I can't ask Mum as she is in heaven. I'll try to remember to ask Dad next Tuesday or Wednesday when I see him.
I'd be very interested to know.
So am I now you have asked about it. :)

Jack Knave

« Reply #256 on: July 02, 2015, 05:43:52 PM »
Yes, they came back with a bit of a bang, partly because Dad's migraines stopped when our local vicar prayed for him (and something to do with me becoming a Christian too). I'm not sure how they see that problem now. I can't ask Mum as she is in heaven. I'll try to remember to ask Dad next Tuesday or Wednesday when I see him.
No doubt your dad's migraine was only psychosomatic. All he needed was to be loved again; accepted by the fold, and feel part of the social tribe once more. No God-power required just some good old social loving. So times referred to as the placebo effect.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #257 on: July 02, 2015, 05:48:02 PM »
No doubt your dad's migraine was only psychosomatic. All he needed was to be loved again; accepted by the fold, and feel part of the social tribe once more. No God-power required just some good old social loving. So times referred to as the placebo effect.

So many experts on here; especially impressive to hear from the psychology experts.  The fact is, you're talking out of your proverbial!  You know nothing of the man in question, or his condition, and your comment is both worthless and presumptuous.
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Jack Knave

« Reply #258 on: July 02, 2015, 05:49:31 PM »
Oh, and Alan. There's my 242, 243, 245, and.... 251, 252, 253 (one of which you've just answered). Bold one is more pressing....well, according to my notes.

floo

« Reply #259 on: July 02, 2015, 05:50:58 PM »

A pity the flipping deity comes through for some, but not others! >:(

Shaker

« Reply #260 on: July 02, 2015, 06:02:40 PM »
So many experts on here; especially impressive to hear from the psychology experts.  The fact is, you're talking out of your proverbial!  You know nothing of the man in question, or his condition, and your comment is both worthless and presumptuous.
No, and that's because while only Alan has knowledge of Alan's dad, at least some here will have had direct, personal and extremely unpleasant experience of migraine. Me for one. Mine simply stopped spontaneously never to return, as they are apt to do in fact, so talk of prayer with regard to the migraines suffered by Alan's dad was as usual simply a fifth wheel.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:06:00 PM by Shaker »

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #261 on: July 02, 2015, 06:03:32 PM »

"Flipping?"  Tut, tut,  language!    :D

Actually, if He doesn't. there is probably a reason!  Wonder what!
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #262 on: July 02, 2015, 06:04:47 PM »
I can think of several. How about you?

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #263 on: July 02, 2015, 06:05:24 PM »

I can think of one good one.
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #264 on: July 02, 2015, 06:06:31 PM »
Me too. You show me yours and I'll show you mine.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #265 on: July 02, 2015, 06:08:07 PM »
Me too. You show me yours and I'll show you mine.

Nah, not whilst people are watching!
BA.

Alien

« Reply #266 on: July 02, 2015, 06:29:42 PM »
Excellent. You've spoken to my dad then. He was feeling unloved. I know why he had those migraines and it was not being unloved. Cut the crap psychoanalysis.

Alien

« Reply #267 on: July 02, 2015, 06:34:39 PM »
Oh, and Alan. There's my 242, 243, 245, and.... 251, 252, 253 (one of which you've just answered). Bold one is more pressing....well, according to my notes.
Eh? 247 was my reply to your 242, my 248 your 243, my 249 your 245. Would you please check to see which, if any, I still owe you a reply on.

Alien

« Reply #268 on: July 02, 2015, 06:35:09 PM »

Thank you for being pleased my dad stopped having crippling migraines.

floo

« Reply #269 on: July 02, 2015, 06:44:50 PM »

I can too all the worst words in the world could be attributed to it, as its depiction is so evil!

Shaker

« Reply #270 on: July 02, 2015, 06:57:35 PM »
No idea about Floo but I know I am. If your dad's migraines were anything like mine then crippling is really the only fitting term. I had the lot - excruciating photosensitivity, aura, fortification patterns, E. coli-esque vomiting, the works.

Still, horrific as all this was for far too many years, they evaporated spontaneously as they do for many, many sufferers including your dad; and your earlier comment, implying that there was not just a correlation between the local vicar praying for your dad but causation, does raise pertinent questions even for this former sufferer as to why, if petitionary prayer works, God saw fit to cure your dad's migraines but leaves mass hunger, poverty, want, sickness, indeed woe and mischance of all kinds, resolutely and persistently untouched.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:05:42 PM by Shaker »

Alien

« Reply #271 on: July 02, 2015, 07:14:29 PM »
No idea about Floo but I know I am. If your dad's migraines were anything like mine then crippling is really the only fitting term. I had the lot - excruciating photosensitivity, aura, fortification patterns, E. coli-esque vomiting, the works.

Still, horrific as all this was for far too many years, they evaporated spontaneously as they do for many, many sufferers including your dad; and your earlier comment, implying that there was not just a correlation between the local vicar praying for your dad but causation, does raise pertinent questions even for this former sufferer as to why, if petitionary prayer works, God saw fit to cure your dad's migraines but leaves mass hunger, poverty, want, sickness, indeed woe and mischance of all kinds, resolutely and persistently untouched.
Actually, I agree. There was correlation, but that does not thereby mean causation. I'm just stating why my mum and dad went back to church. I was not impressed by Jack Knave's amateur psychology, particularly when I know what the cause was.

Glad yours stopped too.

floo

« Reply #272 on: July 03, 2015, 08:32:27 AM »

Of course I am pleased your father's migraines were cured, by whatever means. However, I would want to beat the crap out of the deity if it had cured your father, yet failed to cure others in desperate need, especially children, what sort of evil games would it be playing?

I had a very painful frozen shoulder years ago, when living at our former property with its 'miracle' field.  As the medics weren't managing to sort out my shoulder, someone suggested I sort a 'cure' from the field. I thought it a silly idea, but gave it a go for the hell of it. Within 5 minutes my shoulder felt easier, and by the next day it was totally cured, I have not had a problem with it since. I am firmly of the opinion my body's own healing mechanism kicked in in response to the pleasant vibes coming from my field, nothing 'supernatural'!

jjohnjil

« Reply #273 on: July 03, 2015, 09:33:34 AM »

Of course I am pleased your father's migraines were cured, by whatever means. However, I would want to beat the crap out of the deity if it had cured your father, yet failed to cure others in desperate need, especially children, what sort of evil games would it be playing?

I had a very painful frozen shoulder years ago, when living at our former property with its 'miracle' field.  As the medics weren't managing to sort out my shoulder, someone suggested I sort a 'cure' from the field. I thought it a silly idea, but gave it a go for the hell of it. Within 5 minutes my shoulder felt easier, and by the next day it was totally cured, I have not had a problem with it since. I am firmly of the opinion my body's own healing mechanism kicked in in response to the pleasant vibes coming from my field, nothing 'supernatural'!

Oh Floo!

God obviously lives in that field!  Why on earth did you sell up!  The people of Lourdes have made an absolute fortune thinking God lived there, when all the time he was living in your field!

You would think he'd do better if he lived in Iraq or Syria, so that he might do some decent curing instead of concentrating on headaches and arm aches though.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #274 on: July 03, 2015, 09:42:16 AM »

Fits in rather well with what I mentioned in the 'Evidence' thread in the general boards. Regardless of what happens, some people will continue to hold the same views....and will be unable to change their perspective.  They are programmed that way.

What a waste of a wonderful experience!  It could have given you such a push in the right direction for learning new things.

In spite of these experiences, I suppose  you will persist in sneering at ideas of the 'Biofield' and healing techniques.  Sad...but  each to their own!  ::)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 09:50:42 AM by Sriram »