Author Topic: The face of Jesus  (Read 16785 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
The face of Jesus
« on: June 20, 2015, 07:40:57 PM »
My Avatar icon is taken from a painting by Gabriel von Max who was inspired by the story of Veronica wiping the face of Jesus on a cloth and finding the image of Jesus on the cloth.  If you right click on the ikon and select view image you get much more detail.  I personally find it is closer to my own picture of Jesus than any other image I have seen.  I first saw this image on a school visit to Helmesley church in north Yorkshire where a copy of this painting still hangs on the wall, and it made a lasting impression on me.  When you look at it it seems to change from eyes open to eyes shut.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Shaker

Re: The face of Jesus
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 07:44:47 PM »
I personally find it is closer to my own picture of Jesus than any other image I have seen.
So it's a Jesus you've created in your own image, then.

Nothing new about that at all I can assure, you, Alan. Absolutely nothing.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 08:34:10 PM »
I personally find it is closer to my own picture of Jesus than any other image I have seen.
Not really, Shaker.  I understand that this image existed long before AB ever saw it - in fact, long before he was born. 
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Shaker

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 08:38:22 PM »
Not really, Shaker.  I understand that this image existed long before AB ever saw it - in fact, long before he was born.
Alan said: I personally find it is closer to my own picture of Jesus than any other image I have seen, which I understand to mean that Alan had a prior image of the Jesus of his imagination, the Jesus of his own making, which matches up to the painter's version which Alan will have encountered at some point and decided that by a remarkable coincidence it matched his conception of the likeness of Jesus.

The "my own" (i.e. Alan's) is the giveaway here.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 08:40:13 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 08:40:55 PM »
Did you read Alan's statement?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 08:46:04 PM »
Yes, I did.  Did you?  He first saw this image on a school visit; perhaps it was the first such image he had seen (I don't know), but it is the one that is closest to his own idea (an idea that was probably informed by this image).  Mind you, in my virew, it is probably too European to be a true representation - not enough Middle Eastern Asian.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 09:25:54 PM »
Alan said: I personally find it is closer to my own picture of Jesus than any other image I have seen, which I understand to mean that Alan had a prior image of the Jesus of his imagination, the Jesus of his own making, which matches up to the painter's version which Alan will have encountered at some point and decided that by a remarkable coincidence it matched his conception of the likeness of Jesus.

The "my own" (i.e. Alan's) is the giveaway here.

So what?
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Shaker

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »
Oh, you've been taking lessons from Alien!

jjohnjil

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 09:54:15 PM »
Oh, you've been taking lessons from Alien!

Whatever!

2Corrie

• Not to us, O Lord, But to Your name give glory
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 10:29:36 PM »
I don't like it (sorry Alan), I'm not altogether comfortable with images of our Lord, and this one disturbs me.
"It is finished."

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 01:53:22 AM »
Yes, I did.  Did you?  He first saw this image on a school visit; perhaps it was the first such image he had seen (I don't know),
Yes, I did.
 He first saw this image on a school visit; perhaps it wasn't  the first such image he had seen (I don't know),

but it is the one that is closest to his own idea (an idea that was probably informed by this image).

pure speculation.....
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 02:35:08 AM »
My Avatar icon is taken from a painting by Gabriel von Max who was inspired by the story of Veronica wiping the face of Jesus on a cloth and finding the image of Jesus on the cloth.  If you right click on the ikon and select view image you get much more detail.  I personally find it is closer to my own picture of Jesus than any other image I have seen.  I first saw this image on a school visit to Helmesley church in north Yorkshire where a copy of this painting still hangs on the wall, and it made a lasting impression on me.  When you look at it it seems to change from eyes open to eyes shut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOX3YQMIkU8
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 09:41:21 AM »
pure speculation.....
So, my response is no different to yours, Seb. 

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 11:57:34 AM »
pure speculation.....
So, my response is no different to yours, Seb.
Which one?
Albert Einstein

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 04:26:41 PM »
Which one?
Sorry, Seb.  I should have said Shaker's (initial) response.  Mea culpa.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 10:11:24 PM »

It matters not a jot what Jesus looked like.  Why should it?
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Shaker

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 10:18:53 PM »
Some people seem to think it important, I suppose (as I said at the outset) because it somehow validates their belief if they think there's some artistic representation that matches their self-created mental image of Jesus. Perhaps it makes them feel as though it's just that little bit all made up.

Alan Burns

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
I don't like it (sorry Alan), I'm not altogether comfortable with images of our Lord, and this one disturbs me.
I know a number of people who find this picture disturbing, and I can understand why, but to me it is a truly inspired image which somehow depicts the love and compassion of the suffering Jesus.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Sassy

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 11:45:59 PM »
Alan what did you think of the picture the children related to, whom have claimed to have spoken to Christ?
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

Sassy

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 11:54:57 PM »
1st commandment... Thou shalt not take unto thyself any graven image..

It has been the reason I have been one for relating God by looks to anything in the world...

King James Bible
No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

After Christ, it is clear even then no one had seen God at any time...
But Jesus made God known to us.

I cannot see the need for a picture or image in our mind as God is always present...

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 11:56:40 PM by Sassy »

Alan Burns

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 09:11:42 AM »
Alan what did you think of the picture the children related to, whom have claimed to have spoken to Christ?
I have come across this before.  It looks to be a very kind face, but I personally do not find it very special.

Rhiannon

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 09:20:56 AM »
Some people seem to think it important, I suppose (as I said at the outset) because it somehow validates their belief if they think there's some artistic representation that matches their self-created mental image of Jesus. Perhaps it makes them feel as though it's just that little bit all made up.

I think some people are very visual. I think in images and need to 'see' something in my mind to fully engage with it, so I understand why some Christians feel the need to have their own visual image of Christ to lock on to.

Sassy

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 10:45:51 AM »
I have come across this before.  It looks to be a very kind face, but I personally do not find it very special.

I believe that is why graven images of anything in the heavens or earth is not allowed.. do you see yet?

Alan Burns

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 12:45:10 PM »
I rather like this.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a234/1282186/

And this

https://www.nationalgalleries.org/collection/artists-a-z/e/artist/sir-jacob-epstein/object/the-risen-christ-gma-1092

And this

http://www.theguardian.com/arts/pictures/image/0,8543,-10204720077,00.html
The image in the first link looks remakably like my imagined image of St Peter.
I find the clean shaven sculptures in the next two links interesting, but a bit too modern looking to be authentic.