Author Topic: The god of his age..  (Read 6496 times)

Ricky Spanish

The god of his age..
« on: June 20, 2015, 08:41:13 PM »
When Saul/Paul warns his followers in Corinth that:

2 Corinthians 4:4  [New International Version (NIV)]

4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Which gospel was he referring to, seeing as the gospels as we know them hadn't been constructed yet?

Also it also begs the question, if Jesus was just an "image" of God, surely this "god" of his age is more important?
UNDERSTAND - I MAKE OPINIONS. IF YOUR ARGUMENTS MAKE ME QUESTION MY OPINION THEN I WILL CONSIDER THEM.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Re: The god of his age..
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 08:49:29 PM »

4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Which gospel was he referring to, seeing as the gospels as we know them hadn't been constructed yet?

Also it also begs the question, if Jesus was just an "image" of God, surely this "god" of his age is more important?
Thrud, 'gospel' means 'good news'.  Paul wasn't referring to a written document but to the message that Christ brings to us.

To answer your second question, Jesus is God in human form.  Therefore he provides an exemplar of what God (in his spiritual fom) is like - loving, caring, slow to anger, ...
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

trippymonkey

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 09:40:52 PM »
To answer your second question, Jesus is God in human form.  Therefore he provides an exemplar of what God (in his spiritual fom) is like - loving, caring, slow to anger, ...

Has God 'revealed' Himself to other cultures in a similar way or only to an incredibly small minority in the Middle East????

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 09:47:52 PM »

Has God 'revealed' Himself to other cultures in a similar way or only to an incredibly small minority in the Middle East????

He probably has; but so many reject Him, as we see from this benighted bunch of atheists on here.
BA.

Jesus said to him, 的 am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

trippymonkey

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 10:28:45 PM »
BA
I'm really thinking of Hinduism here.
In it we find characters such as Lord Krishna & Lord Shiva that appear to be 'attractive' & 'attracted' in the same way Jesus is in Christianity.

To Christians these are all false at worst & mythology at best but it DOES strike me as a bit unfair for a God to seem to bother about such a small amount of people & not give a damn about anyone else !!!!

2Corrie

• Not to us, O Lord, But to Your name give glory
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 10:34:30 PM »

??? The Gospel has only been preached to the Middle East?
"It is finished."

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 10:35:16 PM »
BA
In it we find characters such as Lord Krishna & Lord Shiva that appear to be 'attractive' & 'attracted' in the same way Jesus is in Christianity.

To Christians these are all false at worst & mythology at best but it DOES strike me as a bit unfair for a God to seem to bother about such a small amount of people & not give a damn about anyone else !!!!

But who says He does not bother?  Because people choose to believe other things does not mean that God has forsaken them, or does not care.  People are free to believe as they wish. 
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 10:59:57 PM »
People are free to believe as they wish.
Took quite some time getting there, didn't it?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »

You don't seem to follow:  or your memory is weakening.  I've maintained this view for yonks!
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 11:06:42 PM »
You don't seem to follow:  or your memory is weakening.  I've maintained this view for yonks!
No, I was thinking in a historical perspective, going back even further than your venerable memory.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 11:09:03 PM »
No, I was thinking in a historical perspective, going back even further than your venerable memory.

Why, thank you.  I take that as a complment, and compliments are always welcome, whatever the source.    ;)
BA.

trippymonkey

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 11:29:22 PM »

??? The Gospel has only been preached to the Middle East?

No but that's AFTER the fact of Jesus. I'm talking about God revealing Himself WITHIN other societies & not having something relatively new arriving 'only' 2000 years ago being used.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 09:55:34 AM »

He's 'revealed' himself to me, and I've never been to the Middle East.  I know of people in Japan, Korea, China, Australia, India, Nepal, Afghanistan, Iraq, Israel, Russia, Poland, the Czech Republic, Austria, Finland, the Low Countries, Eire, Greenland, Canada, the USA, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, etc., etc. (and that is simply a small sample of such places), to whom he has revealed himself.  It is why Jesus instructed his disciples to 'Go into all the world and make disciples' (an instruction that was passed on generation by generation; they were to be Christ to those thy met.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 09:57:50 AM »
BA

Nick, by the time Hinduism broke free of its limited geographical boundaries in the sub-continent through to Thailand, Christianity had been preached pretty well across the globe.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 09:59:05 AM »
What took "some time getting there"?  As far as I'm aware, it's been the case since the day Christianity first started.

Shaker

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 10:06:40 AM »
What took "some time getting there"?

For people to be free to believe as they wish, which of course in practice only means in some places some of the time.

As far as I'm aware, it's been the case since the day Christianity first started.

Read more history. A lot more.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 10:08:20 AM »
What took "some time getting there"?

For people to be free to believe as they wish, which of course in practice only means in some places some of the time.

As far as I'm aware, it's been the case since the day Christianity first started.

And, of course, such a statement would never apply to you!
BA.

ippy

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 01:23:28 PM »

Don't worry about it Trhud none of it's real.

ippy

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 04:25:01 PM »
True, sadly this has been the case at various times of history - but ...

... historically, there has never been any compulsion in Christianity as given us by Christ.  In 'Churchianity' or 'Christendom', I'd agree, but then Christianity has existed in parts of the world where 'Churchianity'/'Christendom' has not existed.