Author Topic: Expressions no longer used  (Read 6157 times)

SusanDoris

Expressions no longer used
« on: June 21, 2015, 08:12:15 AM »
It occurred to me the other day that I haven't heard the expression, 'It's the gospel truth!' for a very long time. I don't think I have ever used it myself but I think if it was used today, say, on the radio, many people would wince slightly! Or perhaps they would feel a slightly  somewhat subconscious wince! Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. :)
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

OH MY WORLD!

• Just between you me and a monkey sitting on a rock
Re: Expressions no longer used
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 08:38:32 AM »
Perhaps the Godless would wince before reaching a full blown meltdown. I have and never will wince at that expression. Honest injun.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 08:48:14 AM »
Not sure I would notice it, depends on context

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 09:37:30 AM »
It occurred to me the other day that I haven't heard the expression, 'It's the gospel truth!' for a very long time. I don't think I have ever used it myself but I think if it was used today, say, on the radio, many people would wince slightly! Or perhaps they would feel a slightly  somewhat subconscious wince! Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. :)
I've heard it on the BBC (TV and radio) quite often over the last few months - and usually in contexts far divorced from religion.  I wouldn't say that the usage has been any greater than previously, but certainly no less.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

SusanDoris

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 10:13:35 AM »
Thank you for posts.
 Anyone know of other similar phrases which are perhaps less used today?
JC - Would you agree that the word 'godless' is derogatory and the word 'atheist' is neutral?

Shaker

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 10:15:38 AM »
Rather stupidly he usually uses both words together  ::)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Gonnagle

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 10:34:30 AM »
Dear Susan,

Atheist neutral, a strange word for me, it sort of reminds me of a full stop.

Sam Harris wanted to step away from the word, change it to something like freethinkers, Daniel Dennett had the bright idea of Brights, I think it still is a dirty word in America.

Any way, I would give a black man a cup of tea, and do you think I came up the Clyde in a banana boat!!

Is that what you were looking for.

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 12:44:12 PM »
"It's better than a slater up your nose"

I haven't heard that for a long time, one of my granny's favourites.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

floo

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 03:55:29 PM »

I have heard the expression fairly recently! As there is no verification there is any truth in the gospel accounts, the phrase 'gospel truth' means zilch! ::)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 04:15:24 PM »
Thank you for posts.
 Anyone know of other similar phrases which are perhaps less used today?
JC - Would you agree that the word 'godless' is derogatory and the word 'atheist' is neutral?
I'd suggest that the terms 'godless' and 'atheist' are about as neutral as each other.  They both describe a similar condition of mind.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

OH MY WORLD!

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 05:14:52 PM »
You want it to be derogatory Susan, that's you option. But if you would bother to look up it's definition you will find that making the word derogatory is an invention of some of you godless.

OH MY WORLD!

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 05:16:38 PM »
Oh, and Susan, do you mean derogatory as in the way many here use the word fundie? Too funnty.

SusanDoris

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 06:20:13 PM »
Oh, and Susan, do you mean derogatory as in the way many here use the word fundie? Too funnty.
Thank you for your replies.  No, not meaning 'fundy', I was thinking about the way it seems to me that the adjective 'godless' is used  to show pity for the poor - usually atheists! - people who have no god in their lives! For myself, I know there is no missing piece in my life, no space that needs such a thing or such an idea as a god to be complete and whole.

As far as what sort of expressions I was thinking of, I had no set idea in mind, but I suppose I was thinking mainly of sayings with religious, mainly biblical connections and which no longer make any sense.
I agree with your last post, floo.

splashscuba

• might be an atheist, I just don't believe in gods
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 08:13:12 PM »
You want it to be derogatory Susan, that's you option. But if you would bother to look up it's definition you will find that making the word derogatory is an invention of some of you godless.
does that make you godmore ?
I have an infinite number of belief systems cos there are an infinite number of things I don't believe in.

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

Owlswing

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 03:36:09 PM »
does that make you godmore ?

No it makes him Godbore!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Outrider

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 12:09:33 PM »

As an atheist I'd say that most people who'd use 'Godless' probably mean 'atheist' in a derogatory way. The difference is that we're all 'godless', it's just that the atheists have realised...

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 12:11:46 PM »

As an atheist I'd say that most people who'd use 'Godless' probably mean 'atheist' in a derogatory way. The difference is that we're all 'godless', it's just that the atheists have realised...

O.

Long time, no see post. Welcome back O

SusanDoris

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 05:23:57 PM »
How nice to see you posting, Outrider! :)

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 05:55:33 PM »
Thank you for your replies.  No, not meaning 'fundy', I was thinking about the way it seems to me that the adjective 'godless' is used  to show pity for the poor - usually atheists! - people who have no god in their lives! For myself, I know there is no missing piece in my life, no space that needs such a thing or such an idea as a god to be complete and whole.

As far as what sort of expressions I was thinking of, I had no set idea in mind, but I suppose I was thinking mainly of sayings with religious, mainly biblical connections and which no longer make any sense.
I agree with you

How would you know, unless you had experienced it in the first place?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 06:25:21 PM by BashfulAnthony »
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 08:47:28 AM »
Yes the phrases ''I agree with Bertrand Russell'' and ''Hasn't that pleasant young man Richard Dawkin's got his head screwed on'', both of which also had that wincible quality, are also receding into the distant past too.....fings ain't wot they used to be.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 08:49:17 AM »
Dear Susan,

Sam Harris wanted to step away from the word, change it to something like freethinkers, Daniel Dennett had the bright idea of Brights,
Is that cockney rhyming slang?

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 09:48:57 AM »
Dear Susan,

Sam Harris wanted to step away from the word, change it to something like freethinkers, Daniel Dennett had the bright idea of Brights,
It's Gordon Bennett, not Daniel Dennett, you berk!  ;)
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 09:58:31 AM »
Dear Susan,

Vlad's shoulders shake moderately.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »
Dear Susan,

Parkinson's or the DTs? Regardless, you should see your GP, it might be something serious.  :-\
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 06:56:20 PM »
Dear Susan,

Parkinson's or the DTs? Regardless, you should see your GP, it might be something serious.  :-\
Mild amusement at your remarks or MAYR as it is referred to on NHS choices,