Author Topic: Show us the evidence  (Read 34883 times)

floo

Show us the evidence
« on: June 21, 2015, 02:03:23 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 02:25:32 PM by Nearly Sane »

Shaker

Re: Show us the evidence
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 02:07:53 PM »
Typically because they mistakenly believe that there's such a thing as supernatural evidence, whereas that's a contradiction in terms.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Leonard James

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
Some Christians claim they have evidence that the deity and an afterlife exist. However, when asked to reveal it, they fail to do so. WHY?

I think the reality is that they have "evidence" that convinces them, but the rest of us don't find it so.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 02:26:40 PM »
Some Christians claim they have evidence that the deity and an afterlife exist. However, when asked to reveal it, they fail to do so. WHY?

Because there isn't any. 
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 03:01:04 PM »

Because there isn't any.
Sorry, there is evidence, just not evidence that fits a scientific definition of evidence - but then, of course, that applies for several other aspects of life.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Shaker

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 03:02:07 PM »
Can you say what this evidence is in your opinion?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 03:02:36 PM »
Typically because they mistakenly believe that there's such a thing as supernatural evidence, whereas that's a contradiction in terms.
No, Shaker, they don't believe that there's such a thing as supernatural evidence.  They just believe that a scientific definition of evidence isn't the only legitimate definition of the word.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Shaker

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 03:05:45 PM »
Better check with Alien to see if he'd agree with you there.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 03:06:37 PM »
Can you say what this evidence is in your opinion?
I can, but as it won't fit into a scientific definition, why bothe since the likes of you have made it clear that they only accepted explanations that fit into a scientific definition.

May I remind you that no-one has yet managed to provide me with any evidence for the existence of emotions - all they have done is point to chemical actions that are the result of or symptoms of such things - not the things themselves.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 03:07:06 PM »
Better check with Alien to see if he'd agree with you there.
In a previous discussion, he seemd to agree with me.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 03:07:58 PM »
Sorry, there is evidence, just not evidence that fits a scientific definition of evidence

What other kind of evidence is there?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Shaker

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 03:08:20 PM »
I can, but as it won't fit into a scientific definition, why bothe since the likes of you have made it clear that they only accepted explanations that fit into a scientific definition.

Indeed, but I'm interested to see what you regard as evidence.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 03:10:46 PM »
Sorry, there is evidence, just not evidence that fits a scientific definition of evidence

OK, jeremy, what evidence is there for human emotions?  I am not referring to the symptoms which result from them - ie, the chemical reactions.

Shaker

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 03:49:48 PM »
It's looking that way.

Leonard James

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 03:59:27 PM »

May I remind you that no-one has yet managed to provide me with any evidence for the existence of emotions - all they have done is point to chemical actions that are the result of or symptoms of such things - not the things themselves.

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking for, Hope. There is a mass of evidence for the existence of these emotions.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 04:11:16 PM »
I'm not sure what exactly you are asking for, Hope. There is a mass of evidence for the existence of these emotions.
Go on then, what are they?  The only evidence put forward by anyone here when I posed a very similar question about 'love' a couple of months ago, was from Horsethorn (iirc) and referred to the chemical reactions/actions that are a 'symptom' of love, not love itself.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 04:12:47 PM by Hope »

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 04:12:29 PM »
A cop out on the part of Hope! ::)
Why would you suggest that, floo?  Perhaps you can give us the benefit of your wisdom - something you failed to do last time this came up in discussion a couple of months back.

Shaker

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 05:01:43 PM »
Why would you suggest that, floo?

Because you've been asked to state what in your opinion constitutes evidence and have failed to do so (despite claiming that you can do so, before sharply swerving into a burden-of-proof-shifting, discussion-derailing and wholly irrelevant point about emotions).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:04:19 PM by Shaker »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 05:11:08 PM »

OK, jeremy, what evidence is there for human emotions?  I am not referring to the symptoms which result from them - ie, the chemical reactions.

That is a totally nonsensical response to my challenge. 

Me: "show me your non scientific evidence"

You: "well there's no evidence for emotions"

You're supposed to be providing examples of non scientific evidence, not telling me there is no evidence for some stuff.

Incidentally, as well as actually answering my question, you can also have a shot at telling me why the physical symptoms of emotions are not scientific evidence for emotions.

Maeght

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
Go on then, what are they?  The only evidence put forward by anyone here when I posed a very similar question about 'love' a couple of months ago, was from Horsethorn (iirc) and referred to the chemical reactions/actions that are a 'symptom' of love, not love itself.

Why should love be anything more than the effect of chemical reactions/activity on our brain and nervous system?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 07:20:08 PM »
Gratitude to Shaker for reminding us that his definition of evidence is very much rooted in philosophical naturalism.......for which there is no evidence which would satisfy that definition.

Ciao.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 07:22:08 PM »
Evidence has to be scientifically verifiable, which clearly theirs isn't!
There you go. Is philosophical naturalism scientifically verifiable? er, nope.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 07:23:06 PM »

You've got it the wrong way around Hope. The chemical reactions are the cause, what we describe as emotions are effectively 'symptoms' of those chemical reactions. So the point is that what we describe as our human emotions are just that - the manifestations of responses to a series of complex chemical reactions. That is the evidence.

That we find those symptoms of those particular chemical reactions so powerful and important is a product of our underlying physiology (including neurology) and evolution. But all is effectively complex chemistry.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 07:28:05 PM »

Why should love be anything more than the effect of chemical reactions/activity on our brain and nervous system?
And there are, of course, all sorts of substances that are used to alter those chemical reactions and in doing so alter our emotion.

Some are mind altering drugs used for thousands of years, without (until recently) an understanding of how they actually function. Others are more modern therapeutic drugs - a good example being selective seratonin reuptake inhibitors used to treat depression.

Shaker

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 07:31:36 PM »
Hope seems to think that the definition of emotion is something separate to the signs of emotion - that there's an extra link in the chain. I don't get this at all - it seems obvious to me that emotion is inseparable from the signs of emotion, and that it makes sense to regard that as what emotion means.

That said, it's quite clear that we're only discussing this at all since Hope introduced it into the thread as as diversion from having to produce evidence of his own.