Author Topic: Jesus Hates...  (Read 28961 times)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Re: Jesus Hates...
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2015, 09:27:17 PM »
Not a problem at all. If somebody invokes some named example of lazy, sloppy, fallacious thinking, as you did, I point it out, as I just have, in fact. The only problem here is that some people don't seem to know that they're doing it and keep doing it. That's sad.
It is, isn't it, Shaker.  I'll keep praying that you manage to break the habit   ;)
Sorry, Shaker, I obviously misled you.  I was actually referring to your comment "If somebody invokes some named example of lazy, sloppy, fallacious thinking, ... , I point it out".  You seem to think that I do this, whilst not appreciating that your post does exactly that.

The habit of pointing out when people are invoking fallacies? No, that's a habit I'd rather keep; in the long run the credulous, the superstitious and the plain old hard of thinking might finally catch up and we'd all have a higher level of discussion.
Well, I look forward to seeing you catch up, but it may well take some time if your posts are anything to go by.

I can multitask, and am quite happy in either capacity. On the whole I tend to reply in kind, so that if somebody expresses themselves well and demonstrates themselves to be obviously capable of an intelligent and thoughtful discussion, they can expect the same from me.

The constant assertion merchants and consistent fallacy peddlers on the other hand hand are just chew toys suitable for five minutes' amusement now and again.
You seem to forget that you fit into the category yourself, Shaker.  Others here don't seem to dismiss you in quite the same way.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:34:06 PM by Hope »
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Shaker

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2015, 10:04:37 PM »
Sorry, Shaker, I obviously misled you.  I was actually referring to your comment "If somebody invokes some named example of lazy, sloppy, fallacious thinking, ... , I point it out".  You seem to think that I do this
Often, the most recent occasion being your deployment of the negative proof fallacy (also known as the argument from ignorance or appeal to ignorance) in #16 at 6:51pm.

whilst not appreciating that your post does exactly that.
Explain how.

Well, I look forward to seeing you catch up, but it may well take some time if your posts are anything to go by.
No, you misunderstand (unsurprisingly): I was referring to the credulous, the superstitious and the plain old hard of thinking.

You seem to forget that you fit into the category yourself, Shaker.
Once again, explain how instead of merely asserting. If you're able.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Sassy

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 04:03:51 AM »
Fags, Homosexuals, same sex marriage.

Apart from shellfish and cloven hooves, what else does Jesus hate?

Jesus doesn't hate people...
God doesn't hate people.  God hates sin not the sinner... :o
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 04:29:20 AM »
The habit of pointing out when people are invoking fallacies? No, that's a habit I'd rather keep; in the long run the credulous, the superstitious and the plain old hard of thinking might finally catch up and we'd all have a higher level of discussion.
I think there are a few atheists and theists having that higher level of discussion whereas someone like yourself seems to enjoy a low knockabout slanging.
I can multitask, and am quite happy in either capacity. On the whole I tend to reply in kind, so that if somebody expresses themselves well and demonstrates themselves to be obviously capable of an intelligent and thoughtful discussion, they can expect the same from me.

The constant assertion merchants and consistent fallacy peddlers on the other hand hand are just chew toys suitable for five minutes' amusement now and again.

I don't think so!
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Shaker

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2015, 05:58:06 AM »
... a sentence precisely one word too long.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Owlswing

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2015, 08:10:19 AM »
There's an awful lot of it on this forum. Quite a few know that 'God is against gay marriage'.
Are you saying that you know that he isn't, Rhi?

The problem with a lot of Jesus' teachings is that very few of them lay down any sort of 'legal' position; rather, they are principles and Christians are meant to use their God-given minds to apply them to specific issues that they encounter.  I realise that, for some here, this lack of the 'Thou shalt/shalt not' kind of position on a number of issues is unnerving, since they don't like using their God-given brains in this way.  However, that's their look-out not mine or any other person's - Christian or not.

In view of the fact that a great number (a majority?) of Christians find it impossible to obey even the 'Thou shalt/shalt not' rules that are spelt out the proposition of them using their 'God given brains' to any useful effect is questionable.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

floo

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2015, 08:39:06 AM »
There's an awful lot of it on this forum. Quite a few know that 'God is against gay marriage'.
Are you saying that you know that he isn't, Rhi?

The problem with a lot of Jesus' teachings is that very few of them lay down any sort of 'legal' position; rather, they are principles and Christians are meant to use their God-given minds to apply them to specific issues that they encounter.  I realise that, for some here, this lack of the 'Thou shalt/shalt not' kind of position on a number of issues is unnerving, since they don't like using their God-given brains in this way.  However, that's their look-out not mine or any other person's - Christian or not.

If some Christians have 'god given ' brains it proves the deity is all that is evil! :o

floo

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2015, 08:39:41 AM »
... a sentence precisely one word too long.

;D ;D ;D

floo

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2015, 08:40:27 AM »

And you know that for a FACT, do you? ;D

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2015, 09:29:57 AM »
Yes, we do, Floo.  The documentary evidence - namely the Gospels and other New Testament material - makes it very clear that that is what Jesus taught.  Since Jesus is God, then rationally and logically we can say that God taught that he hates sin, but loves sinners, even though it wasn't put into that particular form until St Augustine wrote that form of words in his Letter #211, which was written in about 422AD.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2015, 09:32:28 AM »
If some Christians have 'god given ' brains it proves the deity is all that is evil! :o
The same could be said about non-Christians with 'god-given' brains, I suppose, Floo.   ;)  Do you fit into that category, perhaps? ;D

floo

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2015, 11:46:20 AM »
The same could be said about non-Christians with 'god-given' brains, I suppose, Floo.   ;)  Do you fit into that category, perhaps? ;D

I am a 'wicked heathen' and proud to be so! ;D However, I do my best to help others along the way. Even though I fall well short of perfection, at least I haven't perpetrated the evil deeds attributed to the Biblical deity!

Owlswing

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2015, 01:27:40 PM »
Yes, we do, Floo.  The documentary evidence - namely the Gospels and other New Testament material - makes it very clear that that is what Jesus taught.  Since Jesus is God, then rationally and logically we can say that God taught that he hates sin, but loves sinners, even though it wasn't put into that particular form until St Augustine wrote that form of words in his Letter #211, which was written in about 422AD.

So it took over 400 years to work out what your god was actually saying? Are you absolutely sure that Augustine got it right?
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Shaker

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2015, 01:41:29 PM »
Since Jesus is God
Ah, I see you're in charge of Alan Burns's assertion mill today. Good stuff.

Shaker

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2015, 01:42:42 PM »
If some Christians have "God-given" brains it's hardly a ringing endorsement of their chosen brand of deity.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2015, 01:58:17 PM »
Since Jesus is God
Ah, I see you're in charge of Alan Burns's assertion mill today. Good stuff.
S'funny I never see you picking fellow atheists up on assertion.

Is this assertion business ''Duty shite of the day;:: today?

Shaker

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2015, 02:00:36 PM »
S'funny I never see you picking fellow atheists up on assertion.
I don't often see such stupid claims laid down as fact without any supporting evidence whatever. Most of the atheists here - I'm thinking especially of JeremyP; Professor Davey; torridon and so forth - are much more careful thinkers and therefore writers than that.

floo

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2015, 02:00:53 PM »
HB it is the assertions made by some Christians, without the slightest bit of evidence to back them up, that have to be challenged. Unbelief must always be the default position until verifiable proof is put forward.

ippy

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2015, 03:10:35 PM »

And this is your evidence Hope?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ippy

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2015, 03:32:40 PM »

ippy

Hysterical, again!!
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

ippy

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2015, 04:06:50 PM »

ippy

Hysterical, again!!

It's good to see you're thinking the same as me for once B A.

Hope really thinks he has verifiable evidence for all of his stuff, looks like he's slipped up on that post

ippy

floo

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »
Hope is in 'LA LA' land just like anyone else who suggests they have evidence to support the existence of the deity etc!

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2015, 07:54:49 PM »
Hope is in 'LA LA' land just like anyone else who suggests they have evidence to support the existence of the deity etc!
No more than those who suggest that the lack of scientific evidence - as opposed to evidence as a whole - are in any better position to judge.

trippymonkey

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2015, 09:22:23 PM »

So what was going through God's 'mind' when he so easily destroyed the earth in Noah & The Ark story?????
AAHHH They're only pawns in a massive chess game I'm playing solo ?????

ippy

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2015, 10:18:41 PM »
No more than those who suggest that the lack of scientific evidence - as opposed to evidence as a whole - are in any better position to judge.

Looks like you've fully exposed yourself Hope, we're all waiting now; oh, for this evidence of yours.

ippy