Author Topic: Pedophiles  (Read 23090 times)

Harrowby Hall

Re: Pedophiles
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 06:21:33 PM »
I suspect that the origin of paedophilia is much more complex than we imagine. Sexuality doesn't seem to be quite so readily determined simply by genetics. My guess is that it is the result of some complex interaction at a sensitive developmental stage between genetics and environment. (Oh dear - this makes sound like some latter day Freudian! Or worse, like an epigeneticist follower of Sriram!)

But there is evidence of the existence of developmental stages at which appropriate stimulus determines later behaviour - the best known being language. If an infant is not exposed to language by the age of about 18 months it will never acquire language. It may be that aspects of sexuality are hard-wired and their correct expression will be a combination of genetic, hormonal and experiential factors - possibly both pre- and post-parturition.

This is not to excuse or condone paedophilia. It is abhorrent and plainly pathological. One can only hope that its incidence is very low. However, the lurid reporting of rare incidents means that all men are now presumed to be dangerous to children unless proven otherwise.

These issues alone means that paedophilia will remain a criminal activity.

Absolutely.

There is also confusion about the term paedophile - it is someone with an interest in pre-pubertal children. Adults with an interest in post-pubertal children are hebephiles.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:27:21 PM by Harrowby Hall »
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Owlswing

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 06:23:54 PM »
I don't see it is necessarily that concerning. Note I do not know enough about this area to know whether or not paedophilia(pedant head: note spelling) qualifies as a sexual orientation.

However if it does - it still does not in anyway mean that any change in the rights they have in this respect are coming their way. You still have the issues of consent and harm to deal with.

These issues alone means that paedophilia will remain a criminal activity.

paedophilia (pedant head: note spelling)

You insensitive person - you beat me to it!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 06:41:07 PM »
In the UK the age of consent has never been 25, it has been 16 for as long as I can remember and I am older than Hope!
OK, I'm willing to accept that that is the case.  I had always understood that the age of consent and the age of majority had been the same until shortly after the 2nd W.W. - at least that is what my father told me and he was a historian before he became a clergyman.

By the way, there are still a few cases where the age of majority (usually in financial trust cases) is 30!!  A friend of mine was told by the lawyers that his trust would mature (is that the correct term?) on his 25th birthday, only for them to discover that it was actually 30, 3 days before that birthday!!
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 06:43:15 PM »

Nat, as I pointed out before, paedo- is only correct in British English.  In American, and therefore generally Canadian English as well, the correct spelling is pedo- (as in the thread title).
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Owlswing

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 08:18:37 PM »

Nat, as I pointed out before, paedo- is only correct in British English.  In American, and therefore generally Canadian English as well, the correct spelling is pedo- (as in the thread title).

I am in England - so it is spelt "PAE"
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Owlswing

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 08:21:54 PM »

How come you target me for the comment and not Trentvoyager who made the comment to which I was replying.

There are quite, like, enough Americanisms, like, in the English language already!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 11:17:08 PM by Nathaniel Jesus Scrote p a to Lord Lucifer of Hades »

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »
How come ypou target me fotr the comment and not Trentvotager who made the comment to which I was replying.

There are quite, like, enough Americanisms, like, in the English language already!
Well, I had already pointed out the fact to Trent earlier today - see post #11

Whilst I would agree with your second point, it should be noted that the report that Rose referred to in the OP is - I believe - a Canadian report and is therefore likely to reflect American spelling (by the way, my browser wouldn't allow me to open the link).

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 01:08:57 AM »
Why is it concerning?
Because it means there is no hope for pedophiles.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 01:10:07 AM »
But I think the days are long gone when the idiotic liberal left (and no doubt pervy right somewhere) argued for paedophile rights.

Which days were they?  I must have missed them.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 07:09:52 AM »
But I think the days are long gone when the idiotic liberal left (and no doubt pervy right somewhere) argued for paedophile rights.

Which days were they?  I must have missed them.

1974-1984 . . . surely you can't have missed that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paedophile_Information_Exchange
Brexit Bar:

Full of nuts but with lots of flakey bits and a bitter aftertaste

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2015, 10:00:12 AM »

Are foot feshitists aware of this?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2015, 10:37:47 AM »
This is a bit concerning

"Earlier this year two psychologists in Canada declared that pedophilia is a sexual orientation just like homosexuality or heterosexuality.
Van Gijseghem, psychologist and retired professor of the University of Montreal, told members of Parliament, “Pedophiles are not simply people who commit a small offense from time to time but rather are grappling with what is equivalent to a sexual orientation just like another individual may be grappling with heterosexuality or even homosexuality.”
He went on to say, “True pedophiles have an exclusive preference for children, which is the same as having a sexual orientation. You cannot change this person’s sexual orientation. He may, however, remain abstinent.”
When asked if he should be comparing pedophiles to homosexuals, Van Gijseghem replied, “If, for instance, you were living in a society where heterosexuality is proscribed or prohibited and you were told that you had to get therapy to change your sexual orientation, you would probably say that that is slightly crazy. In other words, you would not accept that at all. I use this analogy to say that, yes indeed, pedophiles do not change their sexual orientation.”
Dr. Quinsey, professor emeritus of psychology at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, agreed with Van Gijseghem. Quinsey said pedophiles’ sexual interests prefer children and, “There is no evidence that this sort of preference can be changed through treatment or through anything else.”

Read more at http://patdollard.com/2013/07/it-begins-pedophiles-call-for-same-rights-as-homosexuals/#fzSrog3fRZ7duceJ.99

Your thoughts?
The issue here is one of consent rather than 'sexual orientation'.

In the case of paedophiles, by definition there cannot be consent on the basis that a person under 16 is unable to give consent. That's why it is wrong. And why this bears no relation to consensual heterosexual or homosexual activities.

Owlswing

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2015, 04:00:38 PM »

Nice one!

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 08:40:22 PM »

Yes, I believe that they are, if they live in America   ;)  Not sure about those here in the UK

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2015, 10:17:35 AM »

And I suppose all it would take is a bunch of judges and senators to have pedophile tendencies before it becomes lawful in that country. 

Anything shocking today could easily become acceptable and even seem very reasonable...given enough time and enough high profile people supporting it!

Shaker

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2015, 10:44:13 AM »

And I suppose all it would take is a bunch of judges and senators to have pedophile tendencies before it becomes lawful in that country. 

Anything shocking today could easily become acceptable and even seem very reasonable...given enough time and enough high profile people supporting it!
Hysterical wibble.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2015, 02:16:17 PM »
Hysterical wibble.
The issues of abortion, divorce, women's suffrage, gay rights, to name but 4, are clearly hysterical wibble by your definition, Shaker.

Shaker

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2015, 02:20:24 PM »
Hysterical wibble.
The issues of abortion, divorce, women's suffrage, gay rights, to name but 4, are clearly hysterical wibble by your definition, Shaker.
I wasn't aware that abortion laws were decided by a bunch of judges and senators who wanted to perform abortions.

I wasn't aware that divorce laws were decided by a bunch of judges and senators who themselves wanted to divorce.

I wasn't aware that laws relating to the liberalisation of homosexuality were decided by a bunch of judges and senators who are themselves gay.

Sriram is simply being a thoughtless and reactionary arse.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2015, 02:35:20 PM »
Hysterical wibble.
I wasn't aware that abortion laws were decided by a bunch of judges and senators who wanted to perform abortions.

I wasn't aware that divorce laws were decided by a bunch of judges and senators who themselves wanted to divorce.

I wasn't aware that laws relating to the liberalisation of homosexuality were decided by a bunch of judges and senators who are themselves gay.

Sriram is simply being a thoughtless and reactionary arse.
No, he isn't.  Although I don't necessarily agree with him, your summary of the way in which laws changed over the years ignores the role that the legal profession had - not necessarily in instigating the changes - but in passing judgements that required legislation to be  rethought and changed. 

Sriram's post makes two different, even though related points.  One, that sometime in the future, peadophile judges could become instrumental in changing the law is this area.  The second that it often takes high-profile support of a campaign to make it successful.  Your 'hysterical wibble' post didn't specify which of those two points you were responding to.  Can you honestly tell us that, of the 4 examples I gave, none were boosted by high-profile support?

Shaker

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2015, 02:41:39 PM »
No, he isn't.
Yes he is. It's quite a regular thing with him.

Sriram's post makes two different, even though related points.  One, that sometime in the future, peadophile judges could become instrumental in changing the law is this area.
Anybody who believes this is a blithering fool.

The second that it often takes high-profile support of a campaign to make it successful.  Your 'hysterical wibble' post didn't specify which of those two points you were responding to.  Can you honestly tell us that, of the 4 examples I gave, none were boosted by high-profile support?
They all were. Except that none of the examples you gave had or have anything to do with the sexual abuse of subjects incapable of informed consent.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2015, 02:57:51 PM »
Except that none of the examples you gave had or have anything to do with the sexual abuse of subjects incapable of informed consent.
Combined, of course, with the very culture-specific definition of that phrase 'capable of informed consent'.  It isn't a set stage of development; it depends on what age each society chooses to allow children to make their own decisions.

Owlswing

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2015, 06:12:48 PM »
Except that none of the examples you gave had or have anything to do with the sexual abuse of subjects incapable of informed consent.
Combined, of course, with the very culture-specific definition of that phrase 'capable of informed consent'.  It isn't a set stage of development; it depends on what age each society chooses to allow children to make their own decisions.

So you would be perfectly happy, under your version of being "capable of informed consent", for nine-year old to be shagged stupid by a forty-nine because she was clever and grown up for her age and says I want to be shagged, I know what it is all about 'cos I've watched dogs and horses do it!

No bloody way!

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2015, 05:38:46 AM »

Actually...come to think of it...traditionally, in all societies... sex (marriage) has been allowed soon after puberty.  So, sex with a person post puberty (say even a 12 year old) could be argued as not pedophilia. If nature intends it who are we to question it?

I can see some senator latching on to that idea!

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2015, 06:59:56 AM »

Actually...come to think of it...traditionally, in all societies... sex (marriage) has been allowed soon after puberty.  So, sex with a person post puberty (say even a 12 year old) could be argued as not pedophilia. If nature intends it who are we to question it?

Sriram

It has been stated many times on this forum paedophilia refers to sexual activity with a pre-pubescent child. Activity with a pubescent and recently post-pubescent child is hebephilia, and with a sexually-mature child is ephebophilia.

It is not a case of "could be argued", the definitions are clear.

There is a general belief among Christians that Mary the mother of Jesus was 13 or 14 at the time the conception. Assuming that there was no human intervention, does this make God a hebephile?

Owlswing

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2015, 08:31:21 AM »

Sriram

It has been stated many times on this forum paedophilia refers to sexual activity with a pre-pubescent child. Activity with a pubescent and recently post-pubescent child is hebephilia, and with a sexually-mature child is ephebophilia.

It is not a case of "could be argued", the definitions are clear.

There is a general belief among Christians that Mary the mother of Jesus was 13 or 14 at the time the conception. Assuming that there was no human intervention, does this make God a hebephile?

Exceptionally well put HH!

This is one of those posts that I read and think "I wish that I had said that!"