Author Topic: Where is Jesus' body now?  (Read 19392 times)

Andy

Where is Jesus' body now?
« on: June 29, 2015, 07:53:39 PM »

Shaker

Re: Where is Jesus' body now?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 08:01:22 PM »
[/popcorn]
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 01:34:28 AM »
It's probably in an unmarked grave in or around Jerusalem.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Owlswing

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 07:01:33 AM »

More than likely it is still in the tomb into which it was put after his execution.

Seeing as how there is no agreement as to where this tomb is or was, there are, I think I read somewhere, at least five sites that are supposedly Christ's tomb.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 07:15:17 AM »
Decomposed, I'd imagine.

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 07:28:11 AM »
Most of it will have been recycled through the biosphere but there might be a few bone fragments somewhere in the ground.
Brexit Bar:

Full of nuts but with lots of flakey bits and a bitter aftertaste

Owlswing

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 07:38:18 AM »
Most of it will have been recycled through the biosphere but there might be a few bone fragments somewhere in the ground.

HMM. If any bone fragments existed, I would think that they were sold as relics by the Catholic church around the time of Henry VIII.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 08:19:57 AM »
Happy to answer, Andy. Are you asking what the NT records as happening and purely that or is this to be a thread about those records and then yet another discussion about whether the records are or could be correct and whether God exists?
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 08:48:57 AM »

More than likely it is still in the tomb into which it was put after his execution.

Seeing as how there is no agreement as to where this tomb is or was, there are, I think I read somewhere, at least five sites that are supposedly Christ's tomb.
Apparently, even the authorities agreed that this was not the case.  There are 3 or 4 options;
    1) the Jewish authorities removed the body so as to ensure (in their minds, at least) that this troublemaker could not become the central figure in any further trouble;
    2) the Roman authorities removed the body for reasons unknown
    3) the disciples stole the body - though for what purpose is hard to see since resurrection was a theological concept in those days, not a practical one - and getting past the guards that had been put on the tomb would not have been easy;
    4) Jesus actually rose from the dead - as the Bible states.
Regarding the suggestion that there are up to 5 sites that are supposedly Christ's tomb, at least one is nowhere near Jerusalem - and nearer Delhi!!  Another is the site that it is thought that the 4th century Romans chose to pick (and which became the 'official' site); the others are all within easy walking distance of the location of Golgatha.

It is interesting that the site of the tomb was actually irrelevant for the first 300+ years of the church.  It was only when the Romans began to take an interest that a site for the tomb was felt necessary - by the Romans (though whether Helena - Constantine's mother - really did pick a site as tradition suggests is true or not who knows).
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 08:52:46 AM »
HMM. If any bone fragments existed, I would think that they were sold as relics by the Catholic church around the time of Henry VIII.
I doubt it would have been that late, Nat.  Most relic selling took place long before that - the late 1st millennium and into the early 2nd (perhaps 750 - 1350 AD).  If what I have read is correct, the bulk of it took place around the time of the Crusades.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:54:53 AM by Hope »
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Andy

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 08:53:41 AM »
Happy to answer, Andy. Are you asking what the NT records as happening and purely that or is this to be a thread about those records and then yet another discussion about whether the records are or could be correct and whether God exists?

I'm asking what people believe. I'm not interested in dissecting the Bible, but I can't dictate where some will take the discussion.

Andy

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 08:54:36 AM »

Apparently, even the authorities agreed that this was not the case.  There are 3 or 4 options;
    1) the Jewish authorities removed the body so as to ensure (in their minds, at least) that this troublemaker could not become the central figure in any further trouble;
    3) the disciples stole the body - though for what purpose is hard to see since resurrection was a theological concept in those days, not a practical one - and getting past the guards that had been put on the tomb would not have been easy;
Regarding the suggestion that there are up to 5 sites that are supposedly Christ's tomb, at least one is nowhere near Jerusalem - and nearer Delhi!!  Another is the site that it is thought that the 4th century Romans chose to pick (and which became the 'official' site); the others are all within easy walking distance of the location of Golgatha.

It is interesting that the site of the tomb was actually irrelevant for the first 300+ years of the church.  It was only when the Romans began to take an interest that a site for the tomb was felt necessary - by the Romans (though whether Helena - Constantine's mother - really did pick a site as tradition suggests is true or not who knows).

So where is his body now?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 08:57:07 AM »

I'm asking what people believe. I'm not interested in dissecting the Bible, but I can't dictate where some will take the discussion.
So, you will willing accept the proposition that Jesus rose from the dead, that his fully physical body ceased to exist at that point and that the answer to this thread is therefore 'nowhere'?

Andy

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 09:05:36 AM »

So, you will willing accept the proposition that Jesus rose from the dead, that his fully physical body ceased to exist at that point and that the answer to this thread is therefore 'nowhere'?

I'm willing to accept that you believe that, if you do. I'm not sure how to take it that his fully physical body ceased to exist at that point and that it is now nowhere. Did it just vanish? What body was Jesus using between resurrection and ascension?

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 09:10:48 AM »

-
All over the place....
It's called "The Church."
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Sassy

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 09:13:29 AM »

A joke! I presume?

We know Christ rose from the dead and we know he ascended up into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father... WITH his body... ::)
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 09:14:17 AM »
I'm willing to accept that you believe that, if you do.
You asked for opinions, yet here you are questioning an opinion.  That doesn't seem to match your original claim.

I'm not sure how to take it that his fully physical body ceased to exist at that point and that it is now nowhere. Did it just vanish? What body was Jesus using between resurrection and ascension?
OK, if we take the Biblical record as correct - at least for now - we know that the resurrected Jesus was able to walk through walls and do other things that a normal body would not have been able to do (there are no such claims prior to his death, other than his walking on water - Matthew 14: 22ff).  This suggests that his post-resurrection body was no longer a fully human body - even though people were able to touch him and feel the scars of his crucifixion, and he was able to eat solid food.  Now, if he was nothing more than a human being in the first place, how could this be?  If, on the other hand, he was God in human form, why couldn't this have taken place?  In this latter case, his body could, literally, have been transformed thus making the need for it to exist 'elsewhere' obsolete.

Let's take a scientific example.  We all now that certain elements have half-lives, during which they decay and become a different element.  Are we to believe that the original element is still out there somewhere, just waiting to be discovered perhaps as a 'skeletal' form of that element?  Not a perfect example, but then is there actually a perfect example of a lot of what happens in everyday life?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:20:56 AM by Hope »

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 09:16:28 AM »

-
All over the place....
Well said, Jim, but I don't think that that was what Andy meant by "Jesus' body".  His OP makes it clear that he is hung up on the location of the physical body of Christ.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 09:18:51 AM »

-
All over the place....
Well said, Jim, but I don't think that that was what Andy meant by "Jesus' body".  His OP makes it clear that he is hung up on the location of the physical body of Christ.

-
I know dis.
You know dis....but, hey, I couldn't let the opportunity pass - could I?
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 09:21:28 AM »

I know dis.
You know dis....but, hey, I couldn't let the opportunity pass - could I?
Of course not!!   ;)

Owlswing

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 09:26:45 AM »

There are three sites in Jerusalem - only one can be the real one and no-body can prove (show any evidence) that any of the three is the real one!

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 09:31:56 AM »
There are three sites in Jerusalem - only one can be the real one and no-body can prove (show any evidence) that any of the three is the real one!
and as I pointed out before, its location is of little or no importance to most Christians - and certainly of no importance as far as salvation is concerned.  It seems to me that it is the non-Christians here - and especially the atheists - who get hung up on inconsequential issues of this sort.  Can you explain why?  Could it be that you are all desperate to be able to prove that Jesus never rose from death and that therefore the basis of Christianity is empty?

Andy

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 09:34:43 AM »

A joke! I presume?

We know Christ rose from the dead and we know he ascended up into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father... WITH his body... ::)

No, it's not a joke. I don't expect to get the same answer from everyone.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 09:39:14 AM »

A joke! I presume?

No, it's not a joke. I don't expect to get the same answer from everyone.
And you haven't.  Unfortunately, some of the responders have failed to attempt to provide an answer, just tried to diss others' suggestions.

What's your opinion - and just why do you want to know?

Owlswing

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
and as I pointed out before, its location is of little or no importance to most Christians - and certainly of no importance as far as salvation is concerned.  It seems to me that it is the non-Christians here - and especially the atheists - who get hung up on inconsequential issues of this sort.  Can you explain why?  Could it be that you are all desperate to be able to prove that Jesus never rose from death and that therefore the basis of Christianity is empty?

Crikey - the resurrection of Christ is "of little or no importance to most Christians" and is "inconsequential "!

Could it be that you are all desperate to be able to prove that Jesus never rose from death and that therefore the basis of Christianity is empty?

In view of the fact that the resurrection and ascension of Christ is one of the very cornerstones of Christian belief we are all desperate to see YOU prove that it happened and not just by quote-mining!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:45:09 AM by Nathaniel Jesus Scrote p a to Lord Lucifer of Hades »