Author Topic: Why only three days  (Read 43448 times)

jjohnjil

Why only three days
« on: July 01, 2015, 09:09:23 AM »
What was the point in Jesus coming back from the dead for just three days?  What did he do in those three days that made it worthwhile?  He was seen eating ... he was seen talking ... big deal!

If it was shown that after we die we will not really be dead for ever - it isn't very much to offer, is it?  Another three days!

floo

Re: Why only three days
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 09:23:09 AM »
If Jesus really did resurrect why didn't he make sure everyone, including Herod and Pilate, see him?

ad_orientem

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:25:25 AM »
Eh? There's forty days between the resurrection and the ascension.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

jjohnjil

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 09:30:50 AM »

You're right, Ad, so 40 days?  What did he do?

ad_orientem

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 09:36:29 AM »
He taught his apostles many things.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 09:48:50 AM »

Amongst other things he appeared to some 500 people at one time according to 1 Corinthians 15.  Then, he spent time with his disciples giving them additional teaching and instructions.

Out of interest, why do you ask?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Alien

• Formerly known as "Black Dwarf"
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 09:50:12 AM »
He taught his apostles many things.
Act 1:1-6 NIV
"In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen. After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God. On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. For John baptized withfn water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.” Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?” He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight."

jj floo, what would be the point of showing himself to Pilate and Herod?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:30:53 AM by Alien »
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 10:24:59 AM »
jj, what would be the point of showing himself to Pilate and Herod?
Alien, it was actually Floo who suggested this.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Alien

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 10:30:33 AM »
jj, what would be the point of showing himself to Pilate and Herod?
Alien, it was actually Floo who suggested this.
Ta.
Apparently 99.9975% atheist because I believe in one out of 4000 believed in (an atheist on Facebook). Yes, check the maths as well.

jjohnjil

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 11:02:45 AM »

Amongst other things he appeared to some 500 people at one time according to 1 Corinthians 15.  Then, he spent time with his disciples giving them additional teaching and instructions.

Out of interest, why do you ask?

And yet we have never heard of any of these 500 telling us they ate and talked to Jesus, just a letter from someone years later saying that 500 had done this.  Don't you find that strange?

Nor did any of the disciples say that saw him during that time.

You ask, why do I ask?  It just seems a very short time to show people you can live forever - and to only 500!  If he did it today, with the Internet, he could tell billions.  Don't you think he picked a bad time to give this message seeing how it wasn't meant for a few but for all? 

floo

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 11:05:51 AM »
If Jesus had really resurrected the whole world would have known about it!

L.A.

• Radcliffe U3A
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 12:16:35 PM »
I Jesus had been seen, the conclusion that most people would reach might be that he had never died.
Brexit Bar:

Full of nuts but with lots of flakey bits and a bitter aftertaste

cyberman

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 12:22:46 PM »

What, you mean it would have caused the beginning of a new religion, three hundred years later the roman emperor would kneel and call Jesus King, and two thousand years later billions of people would still be going on about it? Is that the kind of thing you think would have happened?

floo

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 12:37:58 PM »

What, you mean it would have caused the beginning of a new religion, three hundred years later the roman emperor would kneel and call Jesus King, and two thousand years later billions of people would still be going on about it? Is that the kind of thing you think would have happened?

But it is only a matter of belief. If Jesus was really who he claimed to be, why did he jet up to heaven instead of sticking around to the present day after he 'resurrected', then there would be no doubt about it!

cyberman

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 12:46:18 PM »

But it is only a matter of belief. If Jesus was really who he claimed to be, why did he jet up to heaven instead of sticking around to the present day after he 'resurrected', then there would be no doubt about it!

So, if there was some guy knocking around now claiming to be the risen Jesus, and saying he had been sticking around for two thousand years just so there could be no doubt, you would totally believe him? I don't think so.

floo

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 01:54:33 PM »

So, if there was some guy knocking around now claiming to be the risen Jesus, and saying he had been sticking around for two thousand years just so there could be no doubt, you would totally believe him? I don't think so.

Surely if the guy was what he claimed to be everyone 2000 years ago, and since would have no doubt. As some kind of deity he should have been capable of making his deityness clear to all. Obviously Jesus couldn't do that and it was only his followers who believed, not even his own family was he able to convince!

Alien

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 02:10:57 PM »

Surely if the guy was what he claimed to be everyone 2000 years ago, and since would have no doubt. As some kind of deity he should have been capable of making his deityness clear to all. Obviously Jesus couldn't do that and it was only his followers who believed, not even his own family was he able to convince!
Jesus convinced at least his mother and his half-brother James as James went on to lead the church in Jerusalem. What do you think convinced James?

floo

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 02:23:31 PM »

Jesus convinced at least his mother and his half-brother James as James went on to lead the church in Jerusalem. What do you think convinced James?

Did he convince his mother?

jjohnjil

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 02:37:31 PM »

What do you think convinced the yank who bought London Bridge?  People do fall for things, Al!

ippy

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 02:40:33 PM »

There's forty days between the resurrection and the ascension; allegedly.

ippy

cyberman

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 02:48:08 PM »

I'll take that as a 'no' then, shall I?

floo

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 02:50:24 PM »

A no to what?

jjohnjil

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 02:50:42 PM »

Are you saying, Cyb, you wouldn't believe him either?

cyberman

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 02:54:38 PM »

A no to what?

To the question I asked you!

floo

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 02:55:59 PM »
I answered it!